National Blue Beret 2012

Started by Lindauer82, August 03, 2011, 12:21:20 AM

Rogovin

Just to let everyone know, Darkserra is the assistant director for NBB... and i know the director does not go on CapTalk... so Darkserra is probably best able to answer your questions.  That said, i am also a beret, and i am willing to answer any questions sent to me in a PM.

Fubar

Quote from: SouthernSAR on August 21, 2011, 04:32:21 AMPlease keep in mind... EAA runs most of the Oshkosh event... their workers are tasked with activities that involve great danger (i.e. propellers and a/c)... the workers need their sleep more than cadets need to do PT. Besides... at least this year there was time for PT in the evening.

I've seen plenty of photos on the net that seems to indicate those cadets are just as close to the active aircraft as the EAA folks... It's too bad the EAA doesn't give them any credit for doing so.

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on August 26, 2011, 05:29:58 AM
Quote from: SouthernSAR on August 21, 2011, 04:32:21 AMPlease keep in mind... EAA runs most of the Oshkosh event... their workers are tasked with activities that involve great danger (i.e. propellers and a/c)... the workers need their sleep more than cadets need to do PT. Besides... at least this year there was time for PT in the evening.

I've seen plenty of photos on the net that seems to indicate those cadets are just as close to the active aircraft as the EAA folks... It's too bad the EAA doesn't give them any credit for doing so.

Can you post a few?  Because that video of cadets on the flight line when the F16 ran off the runway was honestly the first non-CAP photo I'd ever seen
with CAP anyone at Airventure.

"That Others May Zoom"

RickFranz

Quote from: Eclipse on August 26, 2011, 12:55:15 PM

Can you post a few?  Because that video of cadets on the flight line when the F16 ran off the runway was honestly the first non-CAP photo I'd ever seen
http://www.avweb.com/news/airventure/EAAAirVenture2009_PhotoGallery_DayFour_200867-1.html
http://www.lightsportaircraft.ca/eaa_airventure2005/volunteers.html
Some older pictures to be sure but the still tell the story.
Rick Franz, Col, CAP
KSWG CC
Gill Rob Wilson #2703
IC1

Rogovin

Most (if not all!) of the pictures taken at/of NBB are personal property of its participants.  You would have to ask them (personally, we dont really have time to upload them all)  or find some of them on FB.  As for stuff of the actual airshow, that was all on off-duty time, as we aren't allowed to take pictures and video while on duty (duh!)

Fubar

Quote from: Rogovin on August 27, 2011, 11:52:27 PMMost (if not all!) of the pictures taken at/of NBB are personal property of its participants.

The EAA or CAP doesn't have a public affairs team on the ground that could promote CAP's participation?

NCRblues

Quote from: Fubar on August 28, 2011, 05:36:47 AM
Quote from: Rogovin on August 27, 2011, 11:52:27 PMMost (if not all!) of the pictures taken at/of NBB are personal property of its participants.

The EAA or CAP doesn't have a public affairs team on the ground that could promote CAP's participation?

Yes, NBB has a PAO staff. Let me ask if i can post his email here for questions or request for pictures. I don't want to post it without his permission.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Huey Driver

Just poking in, I thought this was pretty cool. I don't know if any of you have discovered it yet- the Google Maps pictures for Oshkosh were taken during the Airventure.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=43.984601,-88.550491&spn=0.051382,0.132093&t=h&z=14&vpsrc=6
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

Spaceman3750

Quote from: JerseyCadet on September 13, 2011, 01:59:23 AM
Just poking in, I thought this was pretty cool. I don't know if any of you have discovered it yet- the Google Maps pictures for Oshkosh were taken during the Airventure.

http://maps.google.com/?ll=43.984601,-88.550491&spn=0.051382,0.132093&t=h&z=14&vpsrc=6

First person to spot a CAP aircraft gets a cookie. I see 2.

Eclipse

Quote from: RickFranz on August 27, 2011, 12:07:26 AM

http://www.avweb.com/news/airventure/EAAAirVenture2009_PhotoGallery_DayFour_200867-1.html

Pretty much making my ongoing point - where are the photos from official sources that show us as the "partner" we present that we are?
Ditto on the question about where are the PAOs?  For those who believe the GA community is our primary recruiting pool, why are we not capitalizing on
this?  They are a captive audience for two weeks, and months before and after.

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

Quote from: Eclipse on September 13, 2011, 02:30:22 AM
Quote from: RickFranz on August 27, 2011, 12:07:26 AM

Pretty much making my ongoing point - where are the photos from official sources that show us as the "partner" we present that we are?
Ditto on the question about where are the PAOs?  For those who believe the GA community is our primary recruiting pool, why are we not capitalizing on
this?  They are a captive audience for two weeks, and months before an after.

We are "capitalizing" on this

NHQ and WI wing sets up a national recruitment booth. That is where the 2 cap aircraft are sitting. Literally thousands of people speak to the members that are working that both. ( btw the booth is not run by nbb, but by WI wing and NHQ)

The photos you want to see from the eaa (I'm guessing you want them from eaa sources) are not going to come out. We (as in NBB staff) have asked repeatedly about that to the EAA. They don't want to advertise to much about CAP/boyscout/girlscout/venturekids volunteer's to much because they are afraid they will lose the "walk in volunteers" that help run things other than GROUND OPS/SAR.

They do like CAP, but they don't like us more than the boyscouts that work the same amount of hours in the parking lots. The like cap, but they don't like us more than "walk in volunteers" that work 18-36 and 18-36right.

The EAA gives NBB ALOT (and i mean tons) of food during the activity. The EAA gives NBB hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars worth of free things to give to the cadets. Everything from posters signed by famous pilots, to preferred seating for famous aviator's giving speech's.

Dick Rutan specifically asked CAP to provide help for his aircraft parking display. No one other than CAP cadets got to go near the aircraft. Not EAA, not boyscouts...only CAP cadets.

Cadets get full access to the airfield after hours. No one else gets that, not boyscouts nor anyone else. Only our cadets are trusted enough around MILLIONS of $$$ worth of aviation history.

Our cadets where asked (personally) by the WI TAG to provide accident scene security for the F-16 crash this year.

CAP is well liked at Oshkosh, but the EAA does not want to make others feel slighted by paying more attention to us than anyone else. So they chose to focus on the aircraft and pilots who pay to play in the EAA, than the volunteers, and you know what? I don't blame them, they focus on the customer for those 2 weeks... something cap needs to do....

Майор Хаткевич

So...instead of giving credit to everyone there, they just show their 'walkins'?

NCRblues

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 13, 2011, 12:18:50 PM
So...instead of giving credit to everyone there, they just show their 'walkins'?

No, they basically ignore all workers, and focus on who pays the bills and salary's...the pilots who fly in and spend billions every year on the EAA...

jeders

Quote from: NCRblues on September 13, 2011, 12:46:19 PM
Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 13, 2011, 12:18:50 PM

No, they basically ignore all workers, and focus on who pays the bills and salary's...the pilots who fly in and spend billions every year on the EAA...

To be clear, they ignore the workers in media. But as NCR said, they give tons to CAP and everyone else who works there. If you want to see CAP cadets working at AirVenture from a non-CAP source, go take a look at the AOPA magazine. There were several great pictures and mentions in there this year, and every year pretty much.

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 13, 2011, 02:16:07 AM

Well I can positively confirm one at what I assume is the CAP booth about 200 feet west of the Hondajet Pavilion. I'm not sure if that silver looking plane is supposed to be a CAP plane as well.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Spaceman3750

Quote from: jeders on September 13, 2011, 02:12:22 PM

Well I can positively confirm one at what I assume is the CAP booth about 200 feet west of the Hondajet Pavilion. I'm not sure if that silver looking plane is supposed to be a CAP plane as well.

I see one north of Capp Ave. and one south. Not sure where the Hondajet's at.

jeders

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 13, 2011, 02:20:15 PM

I don't see any aircraft around Capp Ave. I see some old war birds painted in Army red/white which looks a little like the current CAP paint scheme. I see a bunch of CAP vans north of Capp Ave., but no aircraft. The Hondajet Pavilion is south, on Airport Drive just north of Celebration Way in the area of show center.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Spaceman3750

Quote from: jeders on September 13, 2011, 02:39:10 PM
Quote from: Spaceman3750 on September 13, 2011, 02:20:15 PM

I don't see any aircraft around Capp Ave. I see some old war birds painted in Army red/white which looks a little like the current CAP paint scheme. I see a bunch of CAP vans north of Capp Ave., but no aircraft. The Hondajet Pavilion is south, on Airport Drive just north of Celebration Way in the area of show center.

43.987349,-88.561842

The other one is due north, although on looking again I'm not sure it isn't Army

jeders

Well I'll be, an old war bird in a CAP paint scheme. Not an active CAP plane, but very neat. The one to the north I think is an army one.

The current CAP plane and CAP recruiting booth are at 43.980399,-88.561423.

Eclipse

http://tinyurl.com/67m9smd

Huge difference if you look at Wittman on local.live.com - Bird's eye view, though there are a whole lot of scary-looking, camouflaged vehicles.

Too bad they didn't arrange a Streeview car to come drive the area.

"That Others May Zoom"

NCRblues

The Aircraft on Capp street located next to the ww2 reenactors tent is a privately owned spotter warbird painted in ww2 CAP layout.

The vehicles your speaking about eclipse is the Oshkosh truck company that makes heavy duty trucks for the USA/USMC. They have hundreds of those things on site all the time