Fundraising and soliciting donations

Started by Woodsy, July 27, 2011, 04:20:33 AM

Woodsy

What fundraising methods do you use?  We are looking to do something, but do not want to get into a door to door wrapping paper, popcorn, cookie dough, etc. type thing.  We are looking for something with little or no up front costs and minimal administrative involvement.

How do you go about seeking corporate donations? Would anyone be willing to share a form letter or something that they send out?

Thanks.

Spaceman3750

Find out if any of your members work somewhere that give donations. We have 2 members who work for a company that gives a donation to our squadron after the member has volunteered 40 hours that year (not hard for these two).

Eclipse

We have one unit that sell cheesecakes every year and brings in several thousand dollars of revenue.

Some corporations will allow for matching donations to 501c(3)'s, and others will do things like donate an equal amount to your vacation time, etc.,
to a designated charity, which can be a game-changer to a squadron.

Don't forget to get approval in advance from Wing before you start accepting checks.

"That Others May Zoom"

Slim

Three words....Wreaths Across America.

You sell the sponsorships, not the wreath itself.  The donor fills out the form, gives you $15, cash or check made out to WAA.  All you do is send in the forms and checks (account for all of your cash, and get money orders), and mail everything out to Maine.  When the time comes, the wreaths are shipped to the cemetery, and volunteers place them on graves.

Your squadron (once registered with WAA) gets back $5 for each wreath you sell.  Sell 100 wreaths, your unit gets a check for $500.  My unit typically brings in between $1500-2000 a year doing it.

Make presentations to veterans groups in your area; VFW, DAV, AmVets, etc.  Hit up the other service and fraternal clubs as well; all the animals-Moose, Eagles, Lions, etc.  Make arrangements with a local big box store (like Wal-Mart or similar) to set up a booth on a weekend.  Get into community events like fairs.  One of the things we do is put a donation jar on the table for people to make smaller donations (I've seen people just drop a five or ten dollar bill in it after seeing the displays); at the end of the day, add up your cash, figure out how many wreaths that will buy, and under the name of the sponsor, just write something like "On behalf of the people of Jonesville, USA", and send it in.

Very important though, you must register with WAA to get started, they will then issue your unit a code number to put on your sponsorship forms to ensure that your unit gets the money back.  You'll also need wing approval for fundraising.

Slim

Ed Bos

The Nebraska Wing is involved with a workplace-giving federation, where a non-profit third party asks for charitable donations through payroll deductions for employees around the state, including ensuring participation in the Combined Federal Campaign.

The group that NEWG is affiliated with is Community Services Fund (http://communityservicesfund.org/).

Other wings can look for similar groups by checking out http://www.communitysharesusa.org/our-affiliates, and looking for a group in their state.

Some background: I'm the Director of Alaska Community Share, and since I'm a CAP member the General Counsel has determined that there's a conflict of interest for the AKWG to participate in this sort of fundraising with my group. That shouldn't stop other wings from following the model that NEWG is using though.

I also brought a partnership between CAP and Community Shares USA up at the national conference this past summer, so that's a good chance that several wings might find themselves talking with someone familiar with CAP.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

JC004

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2011, 04:47:13 AM
Some corporations will allow for matching donations to 501c(3)'s, and others will do things like donate an equal amount to your vacation time, etc.,
to a designated charity, which can be a game-changer to a squadron.

I collect the employer names on all of the volunteers at my non-profit and check it against a list of companies that do matching gifts or Volunteer Incentive Programs.  I acquired the list from the state university system's development office but it is available publicly online and I am sure similar lists could be acquired for other areas.  Many of them are national/international companies anyway.

jimmydeanno

Solicit local businesses to sponsor certain things you do in your squadron.  We just got a donation of $1,500 from a local restaurant to help our color guard team.

We also just raised $500 from a local embroidery shop to help pay for needy cadets to go to encampment.

Just remember that people don't donate to programs, they donate to people.  Instead of asking for money to support "THe Civil air Patrol Cadet Program" ask for money to "Help kids go to summer camp."  The latter, people understand what their money is going to.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Woodsy

So, you're saying it would be better to ask for money "to purchase new color guard equipment" than to "support the cadet program?"  Now that you mention it I think I've heard somewhere before that more specific things get better results. 

Also, we already do WAA, but looking for something in addition to that.  Because of the time WAA takes is why we don't want to get into anything too involved or logistically complicated... 

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Woodsy on July 27, 2011, 06:27:49 PM
So, you're saying it would be better to ask for money "to purchase new color guard equipment" than to "support the cadet program?"  Now that you mention it I think I've heard somewhere before that more specific things get better results. 

Also, we already do WAA, but looking for something in addition to that.  Because of the time WAA takes is why we don't want to get into anything too involved or logistically complicated...

Correct.

It even works in the WAA arena.  A few weekends ago, we set up a WAA fundraiser outside of a grocery store.  The cadets started with "Would you like to support Wreaths Across America?" with very little result.  I suggested they ask if people, "would like to help put a wreath on a veteran's grave."  Next thing you know, $20s are jumping into the bucket.  In 4 hours, we had approximately $1,000 in donations.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JC004

Don't underestimate the power of in-kind donations.  I've done less donation-getting for CAP because there's more red tape and hassle than in my own organization (which is a shame because wing lost out big time for not moving fast a few years ago), but the same principles still apply

Some time ago, for my non-profit, I put together a HUGE list of local and national companies from which I thought we could get things that would help the organization - especially the program for kids (again, same principles...).  If it's for the children, you get more bites.  So after I'd made my list and got input from my volunteers and staff, I went about writing letters.  I got many thousands of dollars in things donated - office supplies, furniture we needed, equipment like a copier, computers (about 20), and a crap ton of stuff in general.  I think that for the first time, I got something like $15,000 in in-kind donations with about 3 or 4 days' work.

We do it periodically and I got SO MUCH STUFF donated that for some of the supplies, we're STILL going through them 6 years after the FIRST in-kind donation drive.  I had to borrow a volunteer's truck to move all the stuff.  We even ended up getting a whole office of furniture donated and had to rent a truck for that (not sure what the value of that was...didn't include it in my total.  Probably $10,000 or more).

In addition to general stuff, a lot of places seemed to be willing to donate gift cards as well.  We still get Walmart gift cards (donated by Walmart...look into that).

It never hurts to ask.  I felt like my organization needed more gift cards to give away for our raffle, so on the way back to the office from the post office, I stopped at different stores.  In the end, we had a whole STACK of new gift certificates.  All I did was ask.

Another specific idea: BJs runs membership fundraising programs.  Similar clubs may as well.  We also got a BJs membership because I asked for one.  That has saved us good money.

DakRadz

JC004

Quote from: DakRadz on July 27, 2011, 07:33:27 PM
Quote from: JC004 on July 27, 2011, 07:25:47 PM
It never helps to ask.
Might want to fix that

lol.  Got it.  I switched it from "it helps to," except I neglected to fix the whole thing.

Woodsy

Thanks for ythe great advice guys!  It looks like we need to make a list of the specific items and funds we need.  My question is, if we do solicit a donation for a specific item, can we use that money for any other reason at all?  I'm thinking of a situation where we ask for money for project X, which has a price tag of $100, and due to sending multiple letters end up getting above and beyond what we needed for that specific project.  I know there are federal laws stating that if someone donates money and specifies where it goes, it has to be spent on that..  Does it work the same way in reverse, where we solicit money for a specific thing, then end up having left over, what are we required to do then?  Can it be moved to another project without any red tape?

arajca

Alot will depend on how you word the request. You should be specific, but not to the point of listing individual pieces. For example, if requesting funding to start a color guard, ask for donations for equipment and support for the color guard. That would cover the equipment, travel expenses if any (if you start getting active, you'll have some), possibly uniforms. You can also keep it general enough that it's not an issue - requesting funds to support activities for cadets and listing a couple of activities (color guard, ES training weekends, musuem/cultural tours) allows maximum usage. If a donor says they'll provide funds for colorado guard equipment and the local VFW donates a full set before you can use the donantion, contact the donor before diverting. Be honest about it and ask if they would allow you to use the money in a different, but related manner.

Eclipse

Looks like golf outings are where the real bucks are these days!

http://capvolunteernow.com/news.cfm/15k_corporate_donation_surprises_wis_squadron_at_golf_event?show=news&newsID=11359

WISCONSIN – The golf outing that the Eau Claire Composite Squadron holds annually as a unit fundraiser came off with an unexpected windfall this year – a major donation from the event's sponsor, Black Gold Assets LLC.

Executives from Black Gold Assets, an oil-drilling company based in Southlake, Texas, donated a check for $15,000 to the squadron at a dinner following the third annual golf outing, held June 27 at Whispering Pines Golf Course in Cadott. Van Williams, the firm's CEO, presented the check to Maj. Rose Hunt, Wisconsin Wing vice commander and project officer for the event

Originally seeking $500 donations from businesses to support the unit, Hunt was shocked when she heard that the Texas company was making such a generous donation.

"As volunteers we mostly pay our own way in CAP," she said. "The funds raised at this event will go a long way in securing the equipment we need to best fulfill our missions."

The squadron also announced that an anonymous gift of $1,000 had been pledged, along with donations from several other businesses in the area. 

A total of 56 golfers paid a fee to participate in the golf outing, held to raise funds to support the Eau Claire squadron's cadet program as well as to secure a venue suitable to support its missions.

That much money is absolutely a game-changer for most units.

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Spaceman3750

I wonder how much squadron cash and sweat equity is tied up in that golf outing. That cannot be cheap or easy to run - that said, making money or fundraising requires both but there is still a big risk to the squadron.

I don't even know what I would do with $15k if I was that squadron commander. Actually, wait, yes I do :P.

davidsinn

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on July 27, 2011, 11:53:41 PM
I wonder how much squadron cash and sweat equity is tied up in that golf outing. That cannot be cheap or easy to run - that said, making money or fundraising requires both but there is still a big risk to the squadron.

I don't even know what I would do with $15k if I was that squadron commander. Actually, wait, yes I do :P .

I've been involved with one that size. It's a lot of work but it's not too bad. We were able to get pretty much everything donated so there was little up front expense.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Woodsy

I dunno about golf, but I could def. promote a surf contest!  good idea...

peter rabbit

Quote from: jimmydeanno on July 27, 2011, 06:44:32 PM
Quote from: Woodsy on July 27, 2011, 06:27:49 PM

Correct.

It even works in the WAA arena.  A few weekends ago, we set up a WAA fundraiser outside of a grocery store.  The cadets started with "Would you like to support Wreaths Across America?" with very little result.  I suggested they ask if people, "would like to help put a wreath on a veteran's grave."  Next thing you know, $20s are jumping into the bucket.  In 4 hours, we had approximately $1,000 in donations.

You might want to be careful about having a 'bucket' where people throw in cash like the Salvation Army. WAA rules are very specific - all money raised in WAA's name must be processed through WAA and must include the wreath sponsorship form they provide, a copy of which is on their website. And don't forget the rules about uniform wear while fundraising.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Ed Bos on July 27, 2011, 08:53:42 AM
The Nebraska Wing is involved with a workplace-giving federation, where a non-profit third party asks for charitable donations through payroll deductions for employees around the state, including ensuring participation in the Combined Federal Campaign.

Other wings can look for similar groups by checking out http://www.communitysharesusa.org/our-affiliates, and looking for a group in their state.

Some background: I'm the Director of Alaska Community Share, and since I'm a CAP member the General Counsel has determined that there's a conflict of interest for the AKWG to participate in this sort of fundraising with my group. That shouldn't stop other wings from following the model that NEWG is using though.

I also brought a partnership between CAP and Community Shares USA up at the national conference this past summer, so that's a good chance that several wings might find themselves talking with someone familiar with CAP.
Personally, I would be very cautious about getting any third party involved in fund raising, including processing the donations.  Be interested to know what % is withheld by the organization for "administrative" expenses.  Is it 10%, 15%, or is it lower ???   I've had local community organizations in my area, specifically ask me to donate directly to them to avoid them paying this administrative charge to the United Way.

I commend you personally for disclosing that you may have a personal/professional stake in CAP adopting your organization (and similar organizations) clearing house methods. :clap:

I would think with our civilian professional (who is a certified public accountant) running the financial division at National HQ, would be able to come up with a means/procedures for every federal/state/other companies with payroll deductions to have that money sent electronically directly to a Civil Air Patrol without ANY middlemen involved, especially if a processing fee is involved. :angel:
RM   

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: JC004 on July 27, 2011, 07:25:47 PM
Don't underestimate the power of in-kind donations.  I've done less donation-getting for CAP because there's more red tape and hassle than in my own organization (which is a shame because wing lost out big time for not moving fast a few years ago), but the same principles still apply

Some time ago, for my non-profit, I put together a HUGE list of local and national companies from which I thought we could get things that would help the organization - especially the program for kids (again, same principles...).  If it's for the children, you get more bites.  So after I'd made my list and got input from my volunteers and staff, I went about writing letters.  I got many thousands of dollars in things donated - office supplies, furniture we needed, equipment like a copier, computers (about 20), and a crap ton of stuff in general.  I think that for the first time, I got something like $15,000 in in-kind donations with about 3 or 4 days' work.

We do it periodically and I got SO MUCH STUFF donated that for some of the supplies, we're STILL going through them 6 years after the FIRST in-kind donation drive.  I had to borrow a volunteer's truck to move all the stuff.  We even ended up getting a whole office of furniture donated and had to rent a truck for that (not sure what the value of that was...didn't include it in my total.  Probably $10,000 or more).

Likely the accountant doing the financial statements/reporting for your non profit would have to report these "in kind" donations, because it is significant.   Of course in CAP, the public accounting firm we employ has decided that small "donations in kind" at the squadron level don't warrant disclosure in the financial statements since they are "immaterial" to the financial statements.  So next time one runs out of paper and a member donates few reams of paper to keep the local unit going, just remember it is "irrelevant" in National HQ's eyes BUT is fairly important at the local unit's operations.   Cumulatively these small "in kind" donations for a particular unit may very well be very "material" to that unit's financial statement IF it were "booked".

RM 

peter rabbit

You should also be aware - anything involving a middleman with CAP getting a percentage of the proceeds requires NHQ General Counsel approval, with the request going through the wing or region commander.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on July 27, 2011, 10:53:43 PM

http://capvolunteernow.com/news.cfm/15k_corporate_donation_surprises_wis_squadron_at_golf_event?show=news&newsID=11359

WISCONSIN – The golf outing that the Eau Claire Composite Squadron holds annually as a unit fundraiser came off with an unexpected windfall this year – a major donation from the event's sponsor, Black Gold Assets LLC.

Executives from Black Gold Assets, an oil-drilling company based in Southlake, Texas, donated a check for $15,000 to the squadron at a dinner following the third annual golf outing, held June 27 at Whispering Pines Golf Course in Cadott. Van Williams, the firm's CEO, presented the check to Maj. Rose Hunt, Wisconsin Wing vice commander and project officer for the event

"As volunteers we mostly pay our own way in CAP," she said. "The funds raised at this event will go a long way in securing the equipment we need to best fulfill our missions."

The squadron also announced that an anonymous gift of $1,000 had been pledged, along with donations from several other businesses in the area. 

A total of 56 golfers paid a fee to participate in the golf outing, held to raise funds to support the Eau Claire squadron's cadet program as well as to secure a venue suitable to support its missions.

That much money is absolutely a game-changer for most units.
I would think that if  ANY unit (at the squadron level) got a $15K donation, the wing (or group) would be heavily involved in the "management" of that money.   Generally, it is a better idea to buy "assets" that are long lasting with this type of donation, rather than "consumables" or  especially operational expenses (cause next year you likely they won't see that the money to cover that).  HOWEVER it looks to me like they were looking for a building to support their missions.  (Was interesting to see that the National Guard provides them a meeting place in the local armory).
RM 

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 28, 2011, 10:05:13 PM
I would think that if  ANY unit (at the squadron level) got a $15K donation, the wing (or group) would be heavily involved in the "management" of that money. 

Why?

Beyond the regulations regarding how and who may officially accept it, unit money is unit money.  Or is this where you try and
spread FUD about wing banker?

"That Others May Zoom"

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2011, 10:20:06 PM
I would think that if  ANY unit (at the squadron level) got a $15K donation, the wing (or group) would be heavily involved in the "management" of that money. 

Why?

Beyond the regulations regarding how and who may officially accept it, unit money is unit money.  Or is this where you try and

Sir, Respectfully,

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on July 28, 2011, 10:20:06 PM

Why?

I don't think very many squadron level units get $15K lump sum donations made to them.  Something tells me that the wing (or group) will have an interest in how this money is spent.  IF I were the unit I would look at flying the entire unit down to Florida to the space coast area in the middle of the winter as an aerospace education event :angel:
RM   

Eclipse

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 29, 2011, 12:46:08 AMSomething tells me that the wing (or group) will have an interest in how this money is spent.

I'd really like you to elaborate on your assertion, because absent malfeasance, neither the Group nor the Wing has much to say about it.
They can express an opinion, even replace the CC if things aren't spent to their liking (the MARB would probably have an opinion about that) but WBP insures these funds are the purview of the unit.

Your veiled assertion that higher HQ might pressure the unit to do "x" with the money, or perhaps even move to take it from the unit is "not cricket"
at best, and at worst casts an unfair and inaccurate shadow about how the WBP works.  On some level it is all corporate money, and always has been.

Please, tell us more.

"That Others May Zoom"

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Eclipse on July 29, 2011, 01:16:51 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 29, 2011, 12:46:08 AMSomething tells me that the wing (or group) will have an interest in how this money is spent.

I'd really like you to elaborate on your assertion, because absent malfeasance, neither the Group nor the Wing has much to say about it.
They can express an opinion, even replace the CC if things aren't spent to their liking (the MARB would probably have an opinion about that) but WBP insures these funds are the purview of the unit.

Your veiled assertion that higher HQ might pressure the unit to do "x" with the money, or perhaps even move to take it from the unit is "not cricket"
at best, and at worst casts an unfair and inaccurate shadow about how the WBP works.  On some level it is all corporate money, and always has been.

Please, tell us more.
That's a VERY large dollar donation for a unit.  Since it was given to the squadron, I find it very interesting that there's NO pictures of the unit commander or members with the donor BUT two pictures of the wing VC accepting the check.  Likely a PAO blunder ???      I'd assume that this company knew quite a bit about the unit before they made that large donation, so likely unit personnel were involved.

Personally, if someone approached me about a large donation to CAP, I would advise them that they restricted it to what they want it to accomplish, including a geographic restriction just in case the unit disbanded before the donation was completely utilized. (example is the Boy Scouts of America was deed woodlands/small lake in my area (many years ago, likely 1950's), and fortunately the deed put a restriction that the land had to be used for BSA activities (on site), so they can't sell it -- that's what they were trying to do).     The news release by National, seemed to indicate that the money donated to the unit would be used for cadet activities and a unit meeting facility.   
Typically "subsequent events" (hopefully by public press releases) will show how that money gets spent by the unit.   

With Wing Banker -- Until we go to a real time online system that a squadron can check at any time to see what has been paid, processed for deposit, and squadron account balance (versus the once a month "check register" reports) I will continue to be a bit skeptical about this system and what really happens to the money between "reporting" dates.

RM     

RADIOMAN015

Here's a very good example of what the Tahoe-Truckee Squadron did when they successfully raised funds for a portable aircraft collision avoidance system.
http://www.sierrasun.com/article/20110728/COMMUNITY/110729910/1066&ParentProfile=1051

Notice the letter, signed by a unit member not only thanking the specific donors BUT also mentioning how the money raise/equipment will be utilized to enhance safety both for ES missions and cadet orientation flights.  It appears to me that this unit does have strong community support. :clap:

I think this unit has the right idea on how to do it.   Civil Air Patrol is a "local activity", so wing generally doesn't need to be even present when a unit is successful with fund raising, except to approval the fund raising activity prior to start .   What I also like about this is it is a 'durable" piece of equipment, much easier to get folks interested in donating for, versus a "concept" (which is more likely to get developed via a grant proposal).

I've think I've got some good ideas for "donations in kind" as well as potential fund raiser for some specific "durable" equipment items for the squadron.  Will have to check with the unit leadership and discuss at our next senior member meeting. 
RM 

Ed Bos

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 28, 2011, 09:42:15 PM
Quote from: Ed Bos on July 27, 2011, 08:53:42 AM

Personally, I would be very cautious about getting any third party involved in fund raising, including processing the donations.  Be interested to know what % is withheld by the organization for "administrative" expenses.  Is it 10%, 15%, or is it lower ???   I've had local community organizations in my area, specifically ask me to donate directly to them to avoid them paying this administrative charge to the United Way.

I commend you personally for disclosing that you may have a personal/professional stake in CAP adopting your organization (and similar organizations) clearing house methods. :clap:

I would think with our civilian professional (who is a certified public accountant) running the financial division at National HQ, would be able to come up with a means/procedures for every federal/state/other companies with payroll deductions to have that money sent electronically directly to a Civil Air Patrol without ANY middlemen involved, especially if a processing fee is involved. :angel:
RM   

I've been offline for a few weeks since NESA, and I realize I'm a little late responding to this.

Err... I'm sure NHQ could conceive many ways for direct donations to CAP via payroll deduction, but the fact is that you're still paying someone to process the money and data involved with that sort of campaign. For my organization, the overhead is split amongst 30 or so groups, in the model you're describing CAP would have to pay for the entire burden.

I realize it sounds like a great idea to "save" by doing all of the work in-house, but federated giving is a useful tool and opens up additional avenues for income. Unless you are prepared to do all of the back-end work (CPA or otherwise, I'm sure the folks at National already have plenty of work to do) then you''re not necessarily saving anything.

Finally, groups like mine and the United Way are actually benevolent and beneficial to the community... I personally feel that there's a misconception that we're taking away from the organizations we fund, or are some sort of scam that diverts funds from where they're intended to go. That's simply a misguided notion, and I hope that's not a reason you'd recommend Wing's not approach a United Way or Community Shares organization. We provide marketing and exposure, networking opportunities, and I know many of the folks in this line of work are encouraged to be actively involved in their communities as volunteers as well. Telling CAP to avoid them because of a reasonable fee (that you're not paying an employee to manage fundraising in-house) is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

zonaman

In the past my squadron has teamed up with a local "mom & pop" restaurant. We made simple table top announcers and a couple of small posters for the doors (all approved) about a donation night. On that night we were there in uniform to open the doors, clear the tables, serve sodas and water, and answer questions. The restaurant donated a percentage of the sales. Now that I think about it, it ended up being great for recruiting to.

mjbernier

I have been able to secure an "in kind" donation of computers and office equipment that would probably have a street value of several thousand dollars if I priced it all out (and eventually I know I will need to). We haven't received it yet because we're doing some prep work (electrical, network cables, etc.), but I expect that work to be completed soon.

I want to make sure we're doing everything right in how we go about formally accepting this donation, and so I started reading through the regulations to try to figure it all out. The result of that exercise is, I'm totally confused. Maybe someone here could steer me in the right direction?

According to CAPR 173-4, Section B, paragraph 7 (discussing Donations of Property), it states:

"...CAP officers who may accept property donations are:
a. Wing commanders − for donations of property valued by donor up to $5,000.
b. Region commanders − for donation of property valued by donor between $5,000 and $10,000.
c. Executive Director − for donations of property valued by donor in excess of $10,000."

If this donated equipment is valued by the donor at, say, $4,000, does this mean our Wing Commander has to be present to accept this donation from him on our behalf? And then, since the Wing Commander has accepted it, will we be allowed to keep it or can she "appropriate" any of the items and send them somewhere else? This donor is very particular in his offer; he is donating to our squadron, not to the wing in general, and if we aren't going to be allowed to keep it and use it he isn't going to donate it.

I've put a lot of work into arranging for this donation, and I would hate to see it dry up and blow away (and all that goodwill lost) because someone else had "a better idea" for using it.

Mike
1st Lt Michael Bernier
Information Technology Officer & Public Affairs Officer
Texoma Composite Squadron TX-262
Denison, TX
http://captexoma.org

JC004

No no.  In accepting it, the Wing Commander doesn't need to be PRESENT.  They're basically accepting it into the corporate assets and signing off on it being an OK donation (as in no nasty strings attached, not coming from the KKK or something, meeting CAP's requirements for things CAP can own, etc.).

It won't be taken away.  If the unit closed, they would take everything because they are corporate assets but they are not going to just take your computers.