1988 DF Techniques for Ground Crews Guide

Started by Eclipse, July 17, 2011, 01:55:27 AM

Eclipse

http://tinyurl.com/66gh68e

(File is a .pdf hosted at Google which can be download from there.)

"That Others May Zoom"

coudano

awesome find!

I actually train my GTM's to DF with the volume turned off (with the sticks), and instead focus on needle deflection.  I just can not find another way to get people to accept the notion that signal strength and volume are independent factors of each-other.  That said, a carrier only search is no big deal for them because they never got the preconceived notion that they have to hear the sweeps to find the target.

JC004

BOB.  WHAT THE HECK IS WRONG WITH YOU?!  I don't need MORE files, I'm trying to get less!  Sheesh.   :P

Eclipse

Heh - as I've pointed out on a number of occasions, I am the worst kind of insurgent - the one who fights from within and looks like a team player.

That doc was found floating around several years ago, and I have been meaning to scan and distribute it for about 5 years.   Last night I went to grab something else, found the folder and said "about time".

"That Others May Zoom"

JC004

Hmm.  Partly how I have managed to finally nearly secure CAP as has been planned for some years now.  Now nearly all I need is the flag with the big stars and everything will be in order.

Ed Bos

Thanks!  If you don't mind I'll distribute the link among my Alaska and NESA Ground Team students.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Bobble

R. Litzke, Capt, CAP
NER-NY-153

"Men WILL wear underpants."

Major Lord

I like the overall guide. It did overlook an important factor in RDF, which is that the quality of the sound of an indirect or multipath signal has a "furry" characteristic to the sound ( even with just a dead carrier). Making bearing validations by sound quality is a more advanced skill, but you can teach it to Cadets if you set up your test range in the right terrain.  Even though the information is ancient, its still a pretty good basic RDF course outline.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."