First Title 10 Mission of 2007

Started by isuhawkeye, January 01, 2007, 05:25:52 AM

isuhawkeye

Ok Gang who had the first Title 10 mission of 2007.  Remember that title 10 missions are federal.  AFRCC, AFNSEP, or other federal support missions

RiverAux

The converse of my statement on Title 36 missions applies here.  There is no "Title 10" mission since Title 36 also specifically authorizes missions in support of the AF.

We need to stick to the terminology in the regulations...Air Force Assigned Missions, Corporate Missions, etc.

Psicorp

An Email sent out this morning:

"What do you get when you combine New Year's Eve, an active ELT in an airplane in a lake next to Pontiac Airport, and seven SARSAT hits ranging from Flint to Pontiac to Mason-Jewett to Battle Creek?  A night chock-full-o-fun to roll in the new year – CAP-style!

Yes, 121.5 is indeed alive, and AFRCC is still making its list, checking it twice, and MIWG took the second roll of the dice in '07.  Mission opened at 10:55 local.  Louisiana Wing got the first mission of the year.

Because of the very marginal weather at night, it was decided early on that launching an aircrew would push the risk factors too far as precipitation and temperatures fell.  But, a quick phone call to the Scott M. Burgess Composite Squadron in Lansing (and Central Michigan Group) got us a full compliment of people willing to drop their New Year's Eve plans to assist with this complicated mission.  Another quick phone call to the Battle Creek Senior Squadron got us another crew willing to help.

Maj Chuck Graham, GTL, C/SMSgt Christopher Graham, GTM-T launched out on a tour of central Michigan checking out 5 airports and a mysterious interference pattern in Dansville and then, using good instinct, headed north to check out some additional probable areas, and DF-ed a signal to Howell airport, using only hand-held radios, an L-Per, and a Gazetteer as their guide.  After checking several hangars at the airport, they finally isolated it to one hangar.  The airport manager didn't answer his phone, so extensive searching through public records allowed us to wish the hangar-owner a happy new year at 3:00 a.m., and an invitation to join the party at OZW to open up 2007 and the company hangar.  ELT was deactivated at 4:02 a.m. local time.

Meanwhile, multiple non-converging SARSAT hits challenged this IC to separate fact from fiction.  Thanks goes to Flint-Bishop airport operations for finding, locating, and deactivating an ELT on their own initiative, Pontiac ops for verifying that the submerged ELT from a previous incident yesterday was still yelping away, and Mr. Mike Vincent, Cleveland Center duty supervisor (and Detroit TRACON with 6 or 7 airliners checking 121.5, and slightly off frequency) to help sort out everything with planes who were actually airborne to get some semblance of what was real and what wasn't.  One by one, each SARSAT hit was snuffed out.

Finally, thanks to Capt Ken Glidden for driving out to verify a suspected negative ghost signal at Battle Creek airport, and Capt Rick Crepas, Lt Col Rick McLaughlin, and Maj Larry Bailey for standing by for potential tasking.

Mission closed at 5:15 local time.

Jonathan Reid, Maj, CAP

Incident Commander"
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

isuhawkeye

Congrads Maj.  Reid, and thanks for dedicating your time to CAP

DNall

Nice work. We've pulled that trick with airlines in marginal weather also... actually, we did that several times in the Houston area while they were on approach to Hobby & they'd give us altitudes at which they lost signal. Pretty useful trick. That should be in every IC's playbook.

flapsUP

Wrong RiverAux...the "support the Air Force" portion of Title 36 is in reference to that portion of Title 10 where Congress tasks CAP to support the federal government and places SECAF as the tasking agency.

I like the Title 10 ~ Title 36 terminology it makes much more sense that corporate missions, etc.

GOOD JOb GUYS.

DNall

Quote from: flapsUP on January 02, 2007, 11:20:30 PM
Wrong RiverAux...the "support the Air Force" portion of Title 36 is in reference to that portion of Title 10 where Congress tasks CAP to support the federal government and places SECAF as the tasking agency.

I like the Title 10 ~ Title 36 terminology it makes much more sense that corporate missions, etc.
I don't want to get off topic on this, but while you're correct, if you'll look at title 10 it also allows for helping state/local. You can look at both of them side by side & they say pretty close to the same thing, just more detail in Title 10. The NG now, they are covered under title 10 when federalized as part of the military, but covered under title 32 when working for the governor. It's clear cut for them, not so much with us. That was never the intent of those sections.

RiverAux

Hey, I like it when DNall and I agree on something....that is so rare....especially when is saying I'm right...  I was in the process of saying almost the exact same thing....

DNall

lordmonar

Hell just called...they want to know if we can turn the thermostat back on. >:D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: isuhawkeye on January 01, 2007, 05:25:52 AM
Ok Gang who had the first Title 10 mission of 2007.  Remember that title 10 missions are federal.  AFRCC, AFNSEP, or other federal support missions

COWG probably had 07M0001 for the blizzard. KSWG had 07M0003 issued late Monday morning for their blizzard SAR mission and also worked an ELT yesterday but I don't have that number.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

RiverAux

A point of order...didn't the 07M missions start October 1?

sardak

COWG first flew the blizzard under mission number 06M2424, which opened 12/30/06 and closed 1/2/07.  The National Guard operated under this same number.

COWG flew again today under mission number 07M0012A.  Another storm is due tonight so both CAP and Guard have suspended flight ops.

Mission numbers are based on calendar year, not fiscal year.