Arizona's Private Air Force

Started by blackrain, April 15, 2011, 01:09:24 PM

blackrain

Had no idea business was so good for pilots in AZ. Is CAP getting in on this?

Despite Setbacks, Arizona Sheriff Won't Yield the Spotlight
from the New York Times

MESA, Ariz. — It is not uncommon for law enforcement agencies to have helicopters and planes to patrol from above, but Joe Arpaio, the sheriff of Maricopa County, has created what he calls his own air force: a collection of 30 private planes that his "air posse" uses to track illegal immigrants and drug smugglers.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio, facing two federal investigations into his law enforcement practices, has created what he calls his own air force of 30 private planes.

"This is just another controversial program that I don't think is controversial," said Sheriff Joe Arpaio, about using an "air posse" of private pilots to track illegal immigrants and drug smugglers in the Phoenix area.

In what Mr. Arpaio is calling Operation Desert Sky, private pilots have begun flying over central Arizona to act as spotters for Maricopa County Sheriff's Department deputies. The overhead surveillance has not yet led to any arrests, two weeks after it began, but Mr. Arpaio said it would have a deterrent effect.

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: blackrain on April 15, 2011, 01:09:24 PM
Had no idea business was so good for pilots in AZ. Is CAP getting in on this?

Despite Setbacks, Arizona Sheriff Won't Yield the Spotlight
from the New York Times

MESA, Ariz. — It is not uncommon for law enforcement agencies to have helicopters and planes to patrol from above, but Joe Arpaio, the sheriff of Maricopa County, has created what he calls his own air force: a collection of 30 private planes that his "air posse" uses to track illegal immigrants and drug smugglers.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio, facing two federal investigations into his law enforcement practices, has created what he calls his own air force of 30 private planes.

In what Mr. Arpaio is calling Operation Desert Sky, private pilots have begun flying over central Arizona to act as spotters for Maricopa County Sheriff's Department deputies. The overhead surveillance has not yet led to any arrests, two weeks after it began, but Mr. Arpaio said it would have a deterrent effect.

Not sure CAP could be involved in this type of activity if it is deemed surveillance rather than just observation and reporting.  IF you follow someone it is surveillance and CAP can't do that.  If you observe and report (as in a fly over one time) that is observation and is permitted.

Also I would guess that the Sheriff likely set up some sort of non profit organization so that the aircraft owners could take some take tax credit. 

There's really no money in the CAP budget to do this right now; and I highly doubt that most of CAP's mission pilots/crews are interested in self funding anything, especially with the cost of av gas at this point.
RM   

coudano

or they are simply deputized
which we can't do either

bosshawk

Maybe this is unique in Arizona, but it certainly isn't in CA.  There are tons of counties in CA where the Sheriff has an Air Support Unit, made up largely of private individuals and their aircraft.  I fly for two such counties and have for a long time.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

BillB

Many years ago, the Alachua County (FL) Sheriffs Office started what they called the Flying Posse. Rarely was it used for drug activities, but was often used to fly teen age delinquents to the State Prison. The idea was to give the kids a chance to see what may be in store for them if they continued along the path they were on. CAP members were involved, but not as a CAP activity.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

bosshawk

In my previous post, I failed to mention that there is absolutely no CAP participation in the Air Support Units in CA: god forbid.  RM is correct, CAP can only recon and report and, then, only on an AFAM.  Most Sheriff's Offices don't want to be bothered jumping through the hoops to get an AFAM approved: except for drug missions and then only when pre-planned at least a week in advance.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

The CyBorg is destroyed

Sheriff Joe had better be sure his pilots don't violate the boundaries of another county...someone will cook a lawsuit out of that one...
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

wuzafuzz

There is nothing controversial about this in my opinion.  It really accounts to nothing more than an airborne neighborhood watch program.  No one raises much fuss about mounted posses, Jeep posses, or other airborne volunteer units. Although I suspect potential volunteers might want to think twice about advertising their participation, or flying low over suspected drug runners and their ilk.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

jks19714

Until Joe finds some used 50-cals out at Davis-Monthan...   >:D
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

davidsinn

Quote from: jks19714 on April 15, 2011, 06:30:32 PM

He already has one mounted to a truck.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

jks19714

Quote from: davidsinn on April 15, 2011, 06:37:16 PM
Quote from: jks19714 on April 15, 2011, 06:30:32 PM

He already has one mounted to a truck.

Neighborhood Watch meets Rat Patrol.  I like it...  8)
Diamond Flight 88
W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAA9SL
Assistant Wing Communications Engineer

GroundHawg

Note this is from the New York Times...  ::)

HGjunkie

Quote from: GroundHawg on April 15, 2011, 07:40:11 PM
Note this is from the New York Times...  ::)

Is the NYT like fox news now?
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

jimmydeanno

Just my opinion, of course, but the NYT is one of the most reputable, reliable news services still in existence.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

blackrain

I have to admit it has to have a psychological effect if the illegals on the ground have to assume any aircraft overhead could potentially be calling in there location. I can see the benefit of widely publicizing the effort.

Now how about a couple of Hellfire's >:D
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy

DC

Quote from: blackrain on April 15, 2011, 10:41:09 PM
I have to admit it has to have a psychological effect if the illegals on the ground have to assume any aircraft overhead could potentially be calling in there location. I can see the benefit of widely publicizing the effort.

Now how about a couple of Hellfire's >:D
Maybe Maricopa County can lease a few AC-208s from the Iraqis.