The right to give attitude?

Started by ElectricPenguin, April 05, 2011, 12:45:07 AM

ElectricPenguin

A cadet element leader was correcting another cadet, which I have no problem with.

Many cadets just don't pay attention . But the attitude that was given was a bit of a problem. Does an element leader have the right to give attitude? Is this position even on staff?! There are nice ways to say things unless you are trying to give an urgent message.

Any thoughts?

HGjunkie

Uhh... that's pretty general. Are there specific problems you noted in the element leader's attitude??
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

BTCS1*

No cadet, regardless of rank or grade, has the right to give any other cadet any "attitude". It is fine to make corrections, but any sort of bad attitude is unnecessary and unprofessional.
C/2d Lt. B. Garelick, CAP

Major Carrales

Good attitude comes from knowing the reasons behind what one is doing.  Bad attitude is contagious. 
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

ElectricPenguin

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 05, 2011, 03:18:28 AM
Good attitude comes from knowing the reasons behind what one is doing.  Bad attitude is contagious.

Sounds like something from a leadership book.

Major Carrales

Quote from: ElectricPenguin on April 05, 2011, 03:27:15 AM
Quote from: Major Carrales on April 05, 2011, 03:18:28 AM

Sounds like something from a leadership book.

Bingo....those lessons aren't there just as a check off for a promotion.  They exist so we can understand how to be better live and work together.  Often times, for example, the behavior of a cadet is based on the value they place in the activity.  If they don't see any value in it, their attidude about it will be bad.  This occurs is school every day, the student that doesn't want to be there (be it the thug who is more into their gang activities or the Honor Student who is bored with the class) has a hard time making it work.

Apply that to cadets, why are they there?  Squadrons that force cadets into ES, or cadets that are "put in" CAP because their parents are excellent places to spot bad attitude.  Cadets have to want to be cadets, take pride in it and emotionally invest in the program...or, they need to go else where.   That may sound draconian, but it is true.  In time, an unmotivated cadet will leave if there is nothing interesting there for them to do.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Briski

Quote from: BTCS1* on April 05, 2011, 01:31:53 AM
No cadet, regardless of rank or grade, has the right to give any other cadet any "attitude". It is fine to make corrections, but any sort of bad attitude is unnecessary and unprofessional.

You bring up an excellent point. But you have no idea how stupid and annoying that element member was being!!! (We've all been there, right?)

So, how do we, as leaders, keep our own attitudes in check?

If you're familiar with the theory of Emotional Intelligence, a different way of wording this question would be this: How do we develop our self management abilities?
JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

Ron1319

Without a direct quote or having been there to see what happened, I think these responses are very speculative.  I think one of the things that's a bit lacking since I've been back in CAP is some of the right kind of attitude.  I want to see cadets that really know their stuff and are proud of knowing their stuff and have confidence because of that, bordering on arrogance and cushioned with really being excellent and really, really knowing what's going on.  I don't know very many cadets that appropriately have the right bit of attitude and know when it's appropriate to use it. 

I smile when I see element leaders stepping up with a little bit of the right kind of attitude and taking leadership through it.  Not condescending, not mean in any way, just a little bit cocky has it's place and is very powerful and especially enviable by the younger cadets as something to strive for.  I know that my first cadet commander had quite a bit of attitude.  I was inspired by it.  I think the text book corporate manager lack of attitude takes something away from the program.

Again, what I'm really speaking to is shining confidence backed with competence.
Ronald Thompson, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander, Squadron 85, Placerville, CA
PCR-CA-273
Spaatz #1319

M.N.

You don't have to be a part of staff to make corrective actions. However, if he was belligerent in doing so, you need to explain to him the proper way to go about it.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Briski on April 05, 2011, 09:06:30 PM

You bring up an excellent point. But you have no idea how stupid and annoying that element member was being!!! (We've all been there, right?)

If you're familiar with the theory of Emotional Intelligence, a different way of wording this question would be this: How do we develop our self management abilities?

That's great. I'm taking a class that's focusing on EmoIntel. :P

LGM30GMCC

Is that a course on gathering information on the folks dressed all in black who mope around about how depressing life is?  ;)

Cool Mace

Quote from: LGM30GMCC on April 14, 2011, 12:10:35 AM

Is that a course on gathering information on the folks dressed all in black who mope around about how depressing life is?  ;)

Sounds like fun. I may want to sit in on that one!  ;D
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Briski

*Bump.*

Any more thoughts on this question?

JACKIE M. BRISKI, Capt, CAP
VAWG Cadet Programs Team

...not all those who wander are lost...

Nathan

1) Be open and honest in giving feedback to your people, and have them being open and honest in giving feedback to you. I regularly had cadets complete anonymous staff evaluations. These evaluations were completed by EVERYBODY, from basics all the way up to me (as the C/CC). The first feedback I got that really struck home was that people didn't realize what position I held (as a C/Flight Sergeant), obviously implying that I wasn't showing enough muscle as a sergeant.

2) Surround yourself with people who disagree with you. I rarely chose people who thought much like me when I was a C/CC. In fact, one of my biggest accomplishments was successfully planning and executing a summer encampment, where I had a second in command who was almost the complete opposite of me in most ways. He was very, very good at doing things in an almost neurotically-ordered fashion, while I was good at managing the big picture. He had no issues telling me when he disagreed with me and explaining why, though he never pressed the fight once I had made a decision. It was definitely a good thing to have someone around I could trust to disagree with me when a better option might be available that I had missed.

3) Compare yourself honestly to people around you, whether you admire them or not. I remember when I was the second-in-command of an encampment, and was not particularly proud of the cadet in charge of the encampment. He wasn't a bad guy, and I got along with him fine. But I realized that the encampment wasn't doing so well, and that I was spending more time goofing around with him than tending to my own responsibilities as the commander, despite the fact that I KNEW he was failing as a leader and didn't respect him for it. After I made that realization, I stepped up my game, and ended up doing BOTH of our jobs to try to finish out the encampment as best as I could. I didn't want to share the traits of a leader I didn't respect, especially when I was expected to be a leader at that same activity.
Nathan Scalia

The post beneath this one is a lie.