need a track log from street map

Started by starshippe, March 06, 2011, 09:09:12 PM

starshippe

. . i've been using delorme street map software for some time now, and would like to use it to supply a track log that could be used to geocode pictures in robo geo.
. . the only street map output file i could fine does not include the time, which is necessary.
. . does anyone know a way around this? i have the serial emulator software, so am able to save away the raw data. will geobabel give me a track log from raw data?
. . i am using an earthmate usb gps and 2009 street map software, and i also have topo 6.

thanks,
bill

Robborsari

Yes.  If you have raw NEMA output you can use that for geocoding.  In step 2 in robogeo select "from a NEMA file." 
Lt Col Rob Borsari<br  / Wing DO
SER-TN-087

starshippe

hi rob,
. . ok some of this is starting to come together. i will try using the delorme serial emulator and hyperterminal to capture the raw data. gonna run a few trials to see how big of a file i can use. we got some of the wing's adis equipment about a month ago, and are trying to bring those interested up to speed on getting qualified as adis operators.
. . we talked early last june, thanks much for the info then, and now.

bill

Robborsari

That seems a bit cumbersome.  Street Atlas saves a GPS log in a delorme .gpl format. 

You used to be able to convert them in Street Atlas by by going to the Draw tab and importing the file.  Then export as a GPX file.  This used to work for me but does not in SA2011.

You can also convert the gpl to gpx using gpsbabel:
http://www.gpsbabel.org/
SER-TN-087

starshippe

. . ah, life is better today. i downloaded gpsbabel and was able to create gpx files from nmea data and the delorme gpl files. i was also able to import the nmea data directly. i dont seem to be able to create csv files from these, but i'm not sure if it even makes sense to try doing that.
. . we have a sarex coming up in a few weeks, and we will be focusing, so to speak, on adis training. we will be using the alabama sqtrs to begin with. yes we understand that they are under review but its still a good place to start.

thanks for the help,
bill

starshippe

. . in a gpx file, do the lat and lon values have to be in decimal degrees?

. . robo geo appears to have gone to a fair amount of effort to set up an option in the software for cap use. i just stumbled across this. is it some manner of national standard?

thanks,
bill

Robborsari

I have not looked at the spec for gpx but I would assume so.  The format the data is displayed in the program is up to the program.  Robogeo has a large number of options.  The /cap switch sets up most of what is needed to satisfy the 1AF photo requirements.  I would suggest changing the format to whatever the customer wants it in.  Some customers like decimal degrees, some like decimal minutes and others like seconds.  There is no real standard on that as other threads on here will indicate.  You would change that in the options of the program not in the gpx file.
SER-TN-087

sardak

Quote. . in a gpx file, do the lat and lon values have to be in decimal degrees?

Yes. The gpx home is here: http://www.topografix.com/gpx.asp  with documentation   http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/ 

Mike

starshippe

. . thanks guys, i'm feeling almost up to speed on robo geo and file formats. i appreciate the info.

bill