Corporate (aka TPU) Service Dress - anyone already get one?

Started by AlphaSigOU, December 22, 2006, 12:19:08 PM

ColonelJack

And yes, I know it's supposed to have CAP cutouts and the two-line nameplate.  I had the picture taken when the jacket arrived, before the change to the other cutouts/nameplate.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Hawk200

Quote from: A.Member on December 27, 2006, 05:46:12 PM
Quote from: Hawk200 on December 27, 2006, 05:44:15 PM
Quote from: A.Member on December 27, 2006, 05:03:35 PMHell, even TP himself doesn't wear it (nor should he).

Doesn't wear what? If you're talking about the double breasted corp. service coat, that seems to be about the only thing I do see him in, in any picture in the last few months.

Really?  Huh.  Then I stand corrected.  I've never seen a photo with him in it - nor do I feel the need to.  ;)

Never seen him in photo with it? Wow. But I will be nice, and I won't post any photos. 8)

Major Carrales

Quote from: ColonelJack on December 27, 2006, 05:59:07 PM
I have one.  I think it looks good.

Wow!  I'm tempted to buy one.  It doesn't look half bad.

I'll wait until summer...I hear the USAF if going to a new service coat and I'm affraid if given the choice I would get the USAF style one.

"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

ColonelJack, just an FYI:  You can't wear the specialty badge below the nametag.  The commanders badge has taken the spot where the second specialty badge can be worn.
Mike Johnston

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 27, 2006, 07:11:35 PM

Wow!  I'm tempted to buy one.  It doesn't look half bad.

I'll wait until summer...I hear the USAF if going to a new service coat and I'm affraid if given the choice I would get the USAF style one.

The new Air Force service dress is going to take a bit. Even if the AF decides by summer, we won't see it for a while.

Besides you already have service dress now. Why buy something new when what you have is perfectly acceptable?

A.Member

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 27, 2006, 06:10:11 PM
Never seen him in photo with it? Wow. But I will be nice, and I won't post any photos. 8)
I appreciate your mercy.  :)

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 27, 2006, 07:11:35 PM
...I hear the USAF if going to a new service coat and I'm affraid if given the choice I would get the USAF style one.
Are you referring to the Hap Arnold/Billy Mitchell coats?  If so, that'd be quite a ways off (if ever...neither designs have received very favorable feedback).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Hawk200

Quote from: A.Member on December 27, 2006, 08:52:47 PMI appreciate your mercy.  :)

No problem, brother, what are friends for?  ;D

Are you referring to the Hap Arnold/Billy Mitchell coats? ... (if ever...neither designs have received very favorable feedback).

That surprises me. A friend is still active duty, and from what he's heard, people like them. Apparently a number of folks want the lapel'ed coat (the Arnold model) for service dress, and the high collar (Mitchell model) as a formal uniform.

Personally, I like the high collar. I will concede that it looks like it might be uncomfortable. But in the thoughts of Charles Schultz's most loveable beagle: "Some of us sacrafice comfort for style."

ColonelJack

Thanks, Mike ... I'll get that corrected immediately.  I can never keep up with what can be worn where.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

Major_Chuck

Yes Jack.  You strike quite a pose in your new dud's.  I'm still straddling the fence.
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

MIKE

Mike Johnston

Chappie

Not planning on purchasing the TPU.  Will wear either the USAF style uniform or the blazer combo - grey slacks with white aviator shirt.    Have spent enough money on CAP uniforms.  Besides I think wearing the TPU on an active AFB looks ridiculous.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

ColonelJack

I'm confused as to how wearing a CAP uniform on an AF base would look bad.  Back in the day, we wore AF uniforms with CAP cutouts on the collar, metal rank on the shoulders, special name plates, wing patches (!), and -- it didn't look ridiculous, even on those "larger" than uniform regs.  (This was before AF insisted we meet weight/height standards.) 

The only real difference between the AF service coat and the Corporate Service Coat is the double-breasted style (even the pocket welts are the same) and -- we're wearing CAP cutouts, metal rank on the shoulders, and special name plates. 

If your main objection is the double-breasted style of the coat, look at photos of those wearing the uniform.  It's not bad.  Really.  But if your objection is to how the uniform came to us, or who proposed it, then that's a whole different ball of wax.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.

sandman

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 27, 2006, 09:37:31 PM
Quote from: A.Member on December 27, 2006, 08:52:47 PMI appreciate your mercy.  :)

No problem, brother, what are friends for?  ;D

Are you referring to the Hap Arnold/Billy Mitchell coats? ... (if ever...neither designs have received very favorable feedback).

That surprises me. A friend is still active duty, and from what he's heard, people like them. Apparently a number of folks want the lapel'ed coat (the Arnold model) for service dress, and the high collar (Mitchell model) as a formal uniform.

Personally, I like the high collar. I will concede that it looks like it might be uncomfortable. But in the thoughts of Charles Schultz's most loveable beagle: "Some of us sacrafice comfort for style."

Eh...high collars ain't that bad.... 8)
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

Major_Chuck

Quote from: Nick Critelli, Lt Col CAP on December 23, 2006, 01:52:24 AM
I prefer  the TPU  "Class B"  (my term) to the grey, especially when worn with the black Army or Navy windbreaker or leather jacket.  The double brested jacket looks fine however I won't buy on until they put the US back on the lapels.  Just my personal stubbornness. 

Here Here!  I totally agree!
Chuck Cranford
SGT, TNCO VA OCS
Virginia Army National Guard

Monty

When the USAF switched to its current shade and style of service dress from its older "double-knit" variety, I was greatly disappointed with the material in the new version; some poly-wool combo that wrinkled far too much and was a mega lint magnet.

Is the new Corporate style service dress coat the same material as the current USAF service jacket?  I sure hope not.

(I used to wait patiently for the oft-mentioned "wool-sensitive" variety that the USAF swore was coming...I planned to jump on that wagon in the hopes that the newer style dress coat would NOT be made in poly-wool for those willing to pay a bit extra...never saw that come to pass.)

By the way, in speaking with my CAP boss, he swears that it is some sort of men's dress etiquette to never put hefty types in a double-breasted suit of any sort.  If the weight standards are off with this new get-up, and the thing is poly-wool, wow....  How many taboos can we knock out in one setting?

:-\

brasda91

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 22, 2006, 12:19:08 PM
Just a quick check to see if anyone's already taken the plunge and gotten the new CAP corporate service dress (aka TPU service dress).   ;D)

Sorry for the ignorance, TPU stands for _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ ?
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: brasda91 on February 06, 2007, 04:17:52 PM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on December 22, 2006, 12:19:08 PM
Just a quick check to see if anyone's already taken the plunge and gotten the new CAP corporate service dress (aka TPU service dress).   ;D)

Sorry for the ignorance, TPU stands for _ _ _ _ _ __ _ _ _ ?

Tony
Pineda's
Uniform
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

davedove

Quote from: SarDragon on December 29, 2006, 05:46:21 AM
I'm not allowed to wear it, so y'all enjoy.

Quote from: MIKE on December 29, 2006, 03:01:23 PM
No, you enjoy not needing to shave.

That's my biggest gripe with this uniform.  If they are going to design a corporate uniform, they ought to make one that everyone can wear.  For those of us who chose to wear facial hair, we cannot wear this uniform.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

AlphaSigOU

Proof positive that the powers that be didn't think it through when they designed the TPU. I wouldn't have a problem with a well-trimmed beard/mustache on the TPU.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040