Senior Member Dress coat

Started by MattPHS2002, December 22, 2006, 12:10:45 AM

MattPHS2002

Quote from: SJFedor on December 22, 2006, 01:30:11 AM
Well Matt, since you're unit is at Pittsburgh IAP, and there's an ANG unit, which I know your unit has done a lot of dealings with, why don't you talk to them and see if they have a jacket around that can fall off a truck for you?

I'm gonna assume, since there's only one other member with your last name in all of CAP, that the other one is your father at GP 1 headquarters. Since he is the supply and logistics officer for the group, I would hope he could help you find the correct uniform. And if he's wearing a ripoff modification of that, and someone from the wing level hasn't smited him for it yet, that's really surprising. I know Lt. Col. Willa Hayes eats people alive for small uniform infractions.

Or, send an email to the Wing LG and see if they have any senior member service dress jackets.

But for the love of god, don't try and alter a jacket to that extreme. It'll come out looking rather crappy, be completely improper and technically against regulation, since it's not a USAF mil-spec approved uniform item anymore, and it'll just hurt the image of CAP more, especially with an ANG unit where you guys are located.

If you don't want to blow the money on the service jacket, don't. Wear the short or long sleeve combo with the lightweight jacket until you DO have the money or happen to acquire the proper uniform. Or wear the grey pants and the polo as many seniors do. Or go with the TPU. Or any other proper uniform.

This isn't the boy scouts, you can't just have mom alter the uniform a little bit to make do.

I'd expect and understand this from a new member, but you've been in since 1998. You're old enough, and experienced enough,  to know the rules and how it works.

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 22, 2006, 12:37:53 AM
What I don't get is really who is gonna notice that the shade is a tick darker, answer no one but some uniform nazi.

The people who wear the uniform for a living will certainly notice. As well as those who know how to properly wear the uniform.

PS- please see the Announcements and Feedback section of this forum, the thread titled "CAP has official grade abbreviations"

It's 2d Lt., not 2LT.

The fact that you went and looked that up is slightly worrisome, unit location is so easy to find its not funny but the rest of it... and yes the other Gamret is indeed my dad and he doesn't have the coat at Group that was the first place I went. As for 2d Lt I really don't like the way that looks, as for the TPU and other variants of the corporate uniform I think for the most part they look like crap. I'd like to have this coat for when I take cadets to DC sometime in June or July, even if it was allowed I wouldn't wear BDU's there, street clothes for the most part mainly because if I'm doing that much walking dress shoes are out of the question
1Lt Matt Gamret

NER-PA-002 Drug Demand Reduction Officer

Camas

Quote from: MattPHS2002What I don't get is really who is gonna notice that the shade is a tick darker
I've seen the shades mixed and trust me, it shows.
Quote from: MattPHS2002answer no one but some uniform nazi.
Wearing the uniform properly in accordance with CAPM 39-1 has to do with something called integrity.
Quote from: SarDragonWearing of a uniform modified to look like another is NOT proper. Period. Wear the correct uniform, and wear it right, or don't wear it at all.
I concur completely - been there, done that!

arajca

You can't make the old service coat (4 pocket) look the like current service coat. The shade is the least of your worries. Oxidation of the fabric will highlight where the pockets have been removed. The new service coat does not have patch pockets (pockets that are sewn onto the outside of the garmet), so there will be a significant color variation where the pockets were. The current service coat is a three button, high gore jacket with epaulets, not a four button high gore jacket with external pleated patch pockets and epaulets.

As many have said, you're better off getting the real thing or not wearing one at all.

Psicorp

What I don't get is really who is gonna notice that the shade is a tick darker, answer no one but some uniform nazi.

They are very different coats, and yes, someone will notice...if they don't say something to you, they'll say something to your superiors.  Either get the correct uniform, or don't bother!!  It's non-negotiable.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Major Carrales

The service coat, new style, has a "slit pocket" above which ribbons are to be worn in a certain manner described in the regs.

The old coat has four buttons, as was mentioned, and a different cut.  The new coat has an almost "business suit" look (by original design) while the old has a more form fitting one.

Col Hodgkins gave me some advice about getting a service coat, he basically said to wait because the USAF was most likely going to change within a few years.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

BillB

If you do have an Air Force base nearby, Check the Thrift Shop. At the Thrift Shop at Tyndall AFB, I bought 2 male and 2 female new style service coats for a total of $20 for members of my Home Squadron. But that was at special price. Normally the clerk said they are #10 each, not the $5 each I paid.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

DNall

I hate to be overly dramatic about this, but... Son, I don't give one little crap about you, but your uniform represents every other person in this org, and the hundreds of thousands of men & women who have gone before you, not to mention 200 years of soldiers, sailors, airmen, & marines who've lived & died for what that thing represents. You might as well wipe your butt with the flag & give it a vetran for Christmas.  [/rant]

The shade is VERY obvious, as is the cut, weave, texture... it's impossible NOT to notice. You might as well have a tailor make it from scratch. You might theoretically be able to re-use the buttons. I'm sorry you can't afford a new one, I refused to pay the outrageous price myself. I happen to get mine for free. We get some in surplus from time to time. We trade w/ AFROTC units when the opportunity presents itself. Watch eBay for the officer version in your size. Check AFB thrift shop if you can, or make a connection with someone here that might can check for your size. If it's a priority then you'll save up & do it right, if it's not then get the light weight jacket & move on. PLEASE do not try to create something you thing might pass at a distance, it won't.

aveighter

I am astonished.

If there ever was an object lesson on the basis for many of the problems we have in this organizations, it is the mere existence of this thread.

Lets see if I have it about right.

1. I don't want to use the official USAF grade abbreviations because my made up ones are way more cool.
2. I don't like any of the many proper uniform options available so I am willingly going to dishonor the uniform of the United States and all those who have and do wear it while attending the nations capitol in the company of CADETS decked out in some halfassed home made parody of a CAP Officer suit to the extreme embarrassment of anyone possessing an IQ only slightly higher than an amoeba.

On second thought, this is just someones idea of a prank.  Not even those yankee wings would allow someone so lame to process an application and even though our standards for membership are pretty weak, they aren't THAT weak.

Naw, this whole thing is just a gag.

Right?

DNall

Quote from: aveighter on December 22, 2006, 04:50:18 AM
On second thought, this is just someones idea of a prank.  Not even those yankee wings would allow someone so lame to process an application and even though our standards for membership are pretty weak, they aren't THAT weak.

Right?
God I hope so. I had that thought as well. Far as being THAT weak... I know a SMWOG that I literally don't know which side of the legally retarded line he's on, but it's a close run thing. Joined the same night as a MSgt just retired from 23 years in the AF & they were going to get 2Lt on the same night? Yeah, you just never can tell about some people. But, here's hoping.

arajca

Now, with all the information thrown out on this thread, I realize we are all making a major assumption - that MattPHS2002 is talking about the old style AF service jacket. He could very well be talking about the current AF style service jacket that he wore as a cadet or got from a cadet. If that is the case, Matt, please let us know.

DNall

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 22, 2006, 12:29:28 AM
I plan on taking the pockets off:) it is possible my dad did it with his I just needed the info for the braid, thanks a ton:)
Doesn't seem like it.

Major Carrales

Quote from: DNall on December 22, 2006, 05:39:39 AM
Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 22, 2006, 12:29:28 AM
I plan on taking the pockets off:) it is possible my dad did it with his I just needed the info for the braid, thanks a ton:)
Doesn't seem like it.

His dad did it with his?  I think we need some light shed on this.  I can't see anyone talking pockets off of the new style, even enlisted cut, jacket.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SJFedor

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 22, 2006, 01:48:55 AM
The fact that you went and looked that up is slightly worrisome, unit location is so easy to find its not funny but the rest of it... and yes the other Gamret is indeed my dad and he doesn't have the coat at Group that was the first place I went. As for 2d Lt I really don't like the way that looks, as for the TPU and other variants of the corporate uniform I think for the most part they look like crap. I'd like to have this coat for when I take cadets to DC sometime in June or July, even if it was allowed I wouldn't wear BDU's there, street clothes for the most part mainly because if I'm doing that much walking dress shoes are out of the question

Scary when you're held accountable, isn't it?

The fact that you don't like how the proper abbreviation doesn't mean anything. ITS THE PROPER ABBREVIATION. I'd recommend you revert back to a SMWOG if you don't like your abbreviation, can't screw that one up.

Your continued ignorance really scares me. What kind of message are you sending to the cadets under your command by wearing a jacked up put-together-in-my-basement uniform? What kind of message is that sending them, besides that there's an easier, cheaper way, and it's ok to do because 2d Lt so and so did it.

You think the TPU and other variants of the corporate uniform look like crap. I'd agree with you on that, but you think your jacked up version of the service coat won't? I'd rather see proper, by regulation, but crappy then improper, against regulation, and crappier.

And God FORBID you take a severely altered uniform item, and then wear it in our nation's capital. Why? Are you planning on burning an american flag while you're there?

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

CAPLAW

just another Senior Member   Officer who likes to make up his own uniform.

GOT 39-1!

A.Member

Quote from: aveighter on December 22, 2006, 04:50:18 AM

Right?
I'm starting to come to the same conclusion.  There is no other reasonable explanation for such foolishness.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

MattPHS2002

After looking at the jacket I realized yeah your right I can't do it I was thinking of the older Service coat so I'm not going to try and rig it, still on the 2d Lt/2nd Lt. bit really other than one being official and the other not what is the difference, again nothing.
1Lt Matt Gamret

Camas

Quote from: MattPHS2002on the 2d Lt/2nd Lt. bit really other than one being official and the other not what is the difference, again nothing.

Check out the Air Force Tongue & Quill AFH 33-337 page 312

MattPHS2002

Duly noted Major, however that does not change the fact that I don't think it looks right. I've used 2nd Lt. for months with no issues.
1Lt Matt Gamret

DNall

Quote from: MattPHS2002 on December 22, 2006, 04:19:04 PM
After looking at the jacket I realized yeah your right I can't do it I was thinking of the older Service coat so I'm not going to try and rig it, still on the 2d Lt/2nd Lt. bit really other than one being official and the other not what is the difference, again nothing.
What older coat? You're getting into kahki before the four pocket right? Whatever.

I won't beat you up over the abbreviations. It's common in the AF to use 1Lt or 2Lt. We use shorthand here all the time. Just make sure you use the correct abbreviations in official communications.

MattPHS2002

DNall the coat that I'm talking about is the four pocket one but as I've said after looking at it and thinking my dad did go and buy a new one at some point, when that is I don't remember but it was within the last few years when they changed the regs. Next question while we are at it, ES dog patch is 1/2 inch centered above the CAP tape correct?
1Lt Matt Gamret