Monster winter storm could affect half the country

Started by ltcmark, February 01, 2011, 01:26:43 AM

manfredvonrichthofen

Were in the same boat Spaceman. The temp is a surprising 34 deg here, and the ice is melting fast, yes we are still in Bloomington, IN. The temp is supposed to drop like a brick until 1000, then get back up to a scorching 22 deg in the early afternoon and drop like a brick until 18 deg at 2300. Lots of joy, everything will turn into a solid sheet of ice tonight because of the melting and re-freezing. Stay safe all, and stay warm.

Eclipse

The coolest thing to own in a snowstorm is a stick 4x4 pickup.

Inversely suckie is a stick 4x4 in a snowstorm with broken 4x4.  With no weight in the back even a heavy rain gives me traction issues, and the extra torque from the stick means I spin the hard plastic Big Wheel tires on almost every start.

Thankfully my wife's SUV is fully operational, though I basically have to fold my legs twice to drive it.

"That Others May Zoom"

ElectricPenguin

Is was insanely coldand windy today... not such a great thing when your on trash duty and in blues. Had to do some PT to get my hat... And I'm in houston texas...

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Eclipse on February 02, 2011, 05:03:03 AMThankfully my wife's SUV is fully operational, though I basically have to fold my legs twice to drive it.

Next time I'm up there would you mind demonstrating for me how one folds his legs twice? I imagine it would be quite a sight.

Eclipse

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on February 02, 2011, 05:10:02 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on February 02, 2011, 05:03:03 AMThankfully my wife's SUV is fully operational, though I basically have to fold my legs twice to drive it.

Next time I'm up there would you mind demonstrating for me how one folds his legs twice? I imagine it would be quite a sight.

Heh - with great difficulty and pain!

Have been having momentary power blips here, making me more grateful that all the computers I run are notebooks with a UPS built right in!

A word from our sponsor:
     A panel-based whole house surge suppressor is worth the investment...

"That Others May Zoom"

PhoenixRisen

NOAA says tomorrow includes sun, and a high of 53.  Chilly.

8)

(On a serious note: good luck to y'all as you brave this storm.  I've lived in San Diego my entire life...  I'd freeze my arse off.)

SarDragon

It was 48 on my way home from dinner tonight. Does that count?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Spaceman3750

a2capt

Quote from: PhoenixCadet on February 02, 2011, 06:41:19 AM(On a serious note: good luck to y'all as you brave this storm.  I've lived in San Diego my entire life...  I'd freeze my arse off.)
Save for the forecast winds for tomorrow- and possibly dipping into the 20's inland from Escondido to El Cajon. It's calm as a dead night outside now, but about 55F and my windows are still open.

♠SARKID♠

Eclipse

Pics later - back doors drifted closed, drifts in the yard (with wind from the West and facing an open field) probably 5+ feet high in some places.

"That Others May Zoom"

Al Sayre

Quote from: Eclipse on February 02, 2011, 05:03:03 AM
The coolest thing to own in a snowstorm is a stick 4x4 pickup.

Inversely suckie is a stick 4x4 in a snowstorm with broken 4x4.  With no weight in the back even a heavy rain gives me traction issues, and the extra torque from the stick means I spin the hard plastic Big Wheel tires on almost every start.

Have the same problem with my 2wd Pickup.  Simple $20 solution, 4 - 70 lb plastic bags of sand from Home Depot in the bed over the rear axle makes all the difference in the world.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

RADIOMAN015

Yep, I'm in my home command post today (road not plowed, little car is the worst I've had for snow driving in many years (good on gas only).  10 inches of snow yesterday, and 3 1/2 inches and still coming down primarily sleet at this point.   CAP meetings throughout the wing canceled yesterday and today.

No CAP involvement in the wing relating to this storm.  HOWEVER, locally participating in amateur radio skywarn/weather net at 2 hour intervals via the local radio repeater.

Hawaii is looking like the best place to locate to!
RM

JohnKachenmeister

Forecast for Ground Hog Day at Cape Canaveral and vicinity:  Partly cloudy with temperatures in the low 80's.  Scattered showers expected around dinnertime.  In Florida if the Ground Hog sees his shadow he applies sunscreen and goes to the beach.
Another former CAP officer

arajca

Up here where the air is rare we had little to no snow, but SOMEONE forgot to pay the heating bill. Woke to -37F. Windchill was -45F. Today's predicted high -5F. Tomorrow's predicted high 22F with light snow.

NIN

Quote from: Eclipse on February 01, 2011, 08:25:16 PM
Some critical tips for driving in the snow:

Only clear the absolute bare minimum amount of snow from your windows, and if possible,
make sure they are fogged up on the inside, too.

If your car has ABS, make sure to pump the brakes in a skid.

If your car has manual brakes, slam on them with both feet and hold them down, swinging the wheel violently from
side to side.

Always floor the gas when the light turns green.  If you lose traction, hold the pedal down until you
start to move.  In fact, all use of the brake and gas should be abrupt - as if you were unaware you'd need
to use either until the second you actually press on them.

Use of the steering wheel should also be abrupt and extreme - try to avoid anticipating problems, gentle
use of controls, or slowing down.

Wandering across multiple lanes at 1/3 the speed of the rest of traffic is a good tip, too, but this takes
practice to really do well.

Above all, just drive as if you are the only person on the road and had no idea it was going to be snowing
today.

Was that you on my commute home last night? I thought I recognized that technique!
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NIN

Quote from: Fubar on February 01, 2011, 02:00:40 PM
Quote from: mashcraft on February 01, 2011, 01:26:43 AMPlease keep OPSEC in mind.

Well in that case I can neither confirm nor deny the presence of a winter storm in my area.

Too late: CNN, FoxNews, The Weather Channel, ABC, NBC, CBS, MSNBC & my local newspaper are apparently plugged into the "know" and have leaked OPSEC all over the place.  Bummer.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

davidsinn

I haven't ventured outside yet this morning to get pics but I'm unimpressed with the snow. We're supposed to get another 4-5" today on top of yesterday. The joys of the SE shore of Lake Michigan.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Major Lord

I just heard on the radio that the Rodential-Solar Occlusive Meteorological Prognostication System (RSOMPS)  has determined that Spring will come early this year. Its as good as any of the climate science out there, so don't worry about a thing! Oh yeah, try not to die.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"