Quick yes/no question

Started by DNall, December 21, 2006, 04:19:08 AM

DNall

I'm putting in an order right now & rechecking everything to 39-1 to ensure I don't forget anything (especially w/ the changes since I did this last). My question is this, blue sleeve braids still on adult officer service coat or not?

pixelwonk

Yes, 38 of them sewn as fringes down the sleeves of each arm.

PWK-GT

Yes. Sewn 3 inches above cuff.
"Is it Friday yet"

Monty

Quote from: tedda on December 21, 2006, 04:20:35 AM

Up from 33?  Congrats on the promotion!   ;D

A.Member

Quote from: tedda on December 21, 2006, 04:20:35 AM
LOL.

I assume you're talking about the USAF-style service coat?  Answer:  Yes, it's the USAF officers coat (order that from AAFES and it's handled for you).
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

DNall

Thanks, I already got the coat from before (yes w/ epaulets), sans braid. Just ordered the silver nameplate & I did find finally after some digging in the knowledge base find that we still wear 1/2in AF blue commissioning braid. Wasn't sure what the deal was cause I couldn't find it in the reg & couldn't find it cut in the summary of changes. Just a badly written reg, or I can't read, or maybe both. Now if I can just find someone to sew it on correctly. Thanks again.  :D

Monty

Quote from: DNall on December 21, 2006, 04:49:04 AM
Thanks, I already got the coat from before (yes w/ epaulets), sans braid. Just ordered the silver nameplate & I did find finally after some digging in the knowledge base find that we still wear 1/2in AF blue commissioning braid. Wasn't sure what the deal was cause I couldn't find it in the reg & couldn't find it cut in the summary of changes. Just a badly written reg, or I can't read, or maybe both. Now if I can just find someone to sew it on correctly. Thanks again.  :D

I put my own on (though I confess that I know how to hand and machine sew.)

Not really terribly hard to do...just tedious if it isn't your full-time job.  (And yup; it involves crackin' open a bit of the seam on the back of each arm.....as well as untacking the lining of the sleeve at the cuff a bit.)

DNall

Quote from: msmjr2003 on December 21, 2006, 05:05:53 AM

Not really terribly hard to do...just tedious if it isn't your full-time job.  (And yup; it involves crackin' open a bit of the seam on the back of each arm.....as well as untacking the lining of the sleeve at the cuff a bit.)
Which I could try. I do my own patches & such, which look fine. However, I hate to halfazz the thing even more than I hate turning it over to an untried tailor who I can at least blame if it isn't perfect.  :)

Hawk200

Quote from: msmjr2003 on December 21, 2006, 05:05:53 AM

Why a confession? I've been sewing uniforms since I spent a phenomenal amount on a couple sets of BDU's in tech school. The cleaners is a gyp. Won't pay what they charge.

Wish I actually knew how to use a sewing machine though. Everything hand stitched takes a while.

Al Sayre

Sewing machines aren't hard to use once you get past the whole "womens work" thing in your mind.  I just think of them as a power tool that uses thread...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

carnold1836

My squadron commander sews patches on BDUs for jsut about every new cadet that walks through our door. As sson as we get that check and CAPF 15 we get them sized into a uniform and he hits the insignia box so the cadet feels like he is part of the program from day one.

As for name tapes we use a generic "Pegasus" until we get the cadet's real name frome where ever we get ours, and I'm not telling you where that is.  ;)
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

Hawk200

Quote from: Al Sayre on December 21, 2006, 07:01:52 PM
Sewing machines aren't hard to use once you get past the whole "womens work" thing in your mind.  I just think of them as a power tool that uses thread...

"Women's work" has never even crossed my mind. The problem is that I have tried on numerous occasions, and I just don't seem to be able to develop the skill. Ironic, consider most of the things I'm pretty good at involves working with my hands.

Al Sayre

Once you figure out how to thread the machine and install the bobbin, the rest is like using a jigsaw.  Just go slow and let the machine pull the material along, stop before you get all the way to the corners.  When turning sharp, leave the needle in the material and lift the foot , turn the material and then lower the foot again and proceed...  Go to your local Walmart and hit the $1.00 a yard material table for some practice material.  Just start sewing it into little bean bags etc.  you'll get the hang of it pretty quick.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DNall

Quote from: carnold1836 on December 21, 2006, 07:10:06 PM
My squadron commander sews patches on BDUs for jsut about every new cadet that walks through our door. As sson as we get that check and CAPF 15 we get them sized into a uniform and he hits the insignia box so the cadet feels like he is part of the program from day one.

As for name tapes we use a generic "Pegasus" until we get the cadet's real name frome where ever we get ours, and I'm not telling you where that is.  ;)
You know you can get those made locally in a couple days & have plenty of time to sew them before the next meeting.

I too am less than skilled in my many attempts, but it's a handy skill to have on active duty, pick up some extra beer money here & there for a few minutes work.

SarDragon

I've been sewing various items on my CAP uniforms since about a year after I joined, and sleeve braid is still something I leave to the pros. If you aren't close to a military base tailor shop, find out who the local police and fire departments use for their tailoring.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

carnold1836

Quote from: DNall on December 21, 2006, 10:52:38 PM
You know you can get those made locally in a couple days & have plenty of time to sew them before the next meeting.

Actually my source is in Killeen. I call and order them on the way up, do some shopping at the local surplus stores and then pick up my tapes on the way out. I get great deals on full set BDUs in excelent condition. best I've seen so far is my sqdn cmdr getting 9 full sets in near new condtion for $90.00, and 4 almost new M-65s for $25.00. Being thsi close to both Ft. Hood and San Antonio w/ all the bases there is awsome for getting good used stuff.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

DNall

Quote from: SarDragon on December 22, 2006, 12:04:25 AM
I've been sewing various items on my CAP uniforms since about a year after I joined, and sleeve braid is still something I leave to the pros. If you aren't close to a military base tailor shop, find out who the local police and fire departments use for their tailoring.
We got JROTC units at seems like every one of the hundreds of HS's around here. Got several cadets from one unit in my Sq, & used to know the LtCol at another. Thought I'd ask them for some recs. I'm leery of giving up my service coat & a complex item like sleeve braid. So fingers crossed.

Chris, if you're using the same source I'm thinking of, they can ship to you fast for cheap. If you're in a hurry though you can do it locally for a couple buck more. Either way I think it's fast enough to head off using a temp "Pegasus" tape.

Just outta curiousity.... you know we had a coupel conversations about commissioned versus appointed, etc. Anyone find it curious that we wear commissioning braid? I think we always have. It's obviously a paid in the butt & unneeded, but they make a poitn of having it there. Strange no?