CAP Command Scarf

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, January 10, 2011, 08:10:01 PM

jeders

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 11, 2011, 12:40:36 AM
Yeah, I know, most people think they are ugly, but you know some of us like these sort of things for the tradition and history of CAP.  I would like to see about how to get NHQ to authorize it to be sold by the company that has the pattern or to get them to sell it to VG.

According to the CAP rep at Vanguard, they are currently working on getting the scarf produced.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Hawk200

Quote from: jeders on February 08, 2011, 10:15:57 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 11, 2011, 12:40:36 AM
Yeah, I know, most people think they are ugly, but you know some of us like these sort of things for the tradition and history of CAP.  I would like to see about how to get NHQ to authorize it to be sold by the company that has the pattern or to get them to sell it to VG.

According to the CAP rep at Vanguard, they are currently working on getting the scarf produced.
For collection purposes, I don't have any issues. But when someone wears it, most people think they're a tool.

tsrup

I have one, and when I do wear my bag (not very often) to meetings, I wear it.  When being worn, it is a lot more low key and lot less ostentatious as seeing one sans-bag.  It's a talking point, and there is history behind it. 

I do not wear it on missions though.  Scarves at one time may have served a purpose, but that time has come and passed.

(btw, I too think the pattern is hideous, but that is part of the tradition of organizational scarves)

Paramedic
hang-around.

manfredvonrichthofen

I also talked to VG a while back about the items they don't carry. I wanted to know about the service jacket and about the command scarf and they acted like they were trying to find a supplier too, but when I pointed to www.ramaworld.com, they had no interest in hearing about them. I don't think they care too much about the CAP items. They said that they just flat don't carry the service jacket, and from what I can tell, they won't either.

davidsinn

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on February 08, 2011, 11:24:51 PM
I don't think they care too much about the CAP items. They said that they just flat don't carry the service jacket, and from what I can tell, they won't either.

Why should they? The only supplier of it sells direct to us and would undercut them on price. It is also not a mandatory item.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Mustang

Scarves have fallen out of vogue in the AF.  Pretty much the only ones who wear them now are Space/Missile guys and USAFA/ROTC cadets.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

PHall

Quote from: Mustang on February 20, 2011, 07:35:10 AM
Scarves have fallen out of vogue in the AF.  Pretty much the only ones who wear them now are Space/Missile guys and USAFA/ROTC cadets.

They never were "in vogue" with the heavy drivers, we wore them only when we "had" to wear them.
They seemed to be much more popular with the fighter pilots and then only the "tools" wore them.

bosshawk

I have a feeling that a lot of you folks have never had the "pleasure" of wearing one of those things.  Back in the day, I had 18 months at Ft Bragg and a year in Korea when we wore the D--------- things every day with fatigues or flight suits.  They are a constant pain because they fit right up against your neck, constantly slip and slide and are just a PITA.  I still have my MI scarf and it sits on the bottom of my foot locker.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: bosshawk on February 21, 2011, 02:46:22 AM
I have a feeling that a lot of you folks have never had the "pleasure" of wearing one of those things.  Back in the day, I had 18 months at Ft Bragg and a year in Korea when we wore the D--------- things every day with fatigues or flight suits.  They are a constant pain because they fit right up against your neck, constantly slip and slide and are just a PITA.  I still have my MI scarf and it sits on the bottom of my foot locker.
Sir, it doesn't matter if it sits on the bottom of your foot locker does it? I doubt you would get rid of it even if you hate wearing it. It is just the fact that you have it. It is that way for me. I just want to have one even if I never wear it.

bosshawk

15: have at it, I wouldn't want to deny you the pleasure.  I was just thinking about some of the silly uniform items that I wore at one time or another.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

bosshawk

OOPs, Manfred, I was thinking that you were Radioman15.  I probably ran into one or more of your ancestors when I was in FRG.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: bosshawk on February 21, 2011, 07:37:47 AM
OOPs, Manfred, I was thinking that you were Radioman15.  I probably ran into one or more of your ancestors when I was in FRG.
506 FRG?

bosshawk

FRG: Federal Republic of Germany.  My first tour of duty in the Army, I won't tell you the years, it was so long ago.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

manfredvonrichthofen

Oh, hahaha. FRG: Family Readiness Group.