CAP Command Scarf

Started by manfredvonrichthofen, January 10, 2011, 08:10:01 PM

manfredvonrichthofen

I know, not everyone, heck most do not like the CAP Command Scarf. However there are those of us who will collect just about anything CAP. There is a company that has the pattern for the CAP Command Scarf, how would someone go about pushing info up the chain to have this company to supply the scarf to CAP personnel or to supply them to VG so they can sell to us?

bosshawk

How about enllightening some of us as to what the CAP Command Scarf might be.  I have been in this august organization 18 yrs and haven't even heard of one.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

manfredvonrichthofen

This is what the Command Scarf looks like, it is silk, it really has no function anymore as we are in closed cockpits with no real issues with needing to clean the windscreen or your neck getting rubbed raw. It is more for a tradition item than anything.
[img alt=]http://captalk.net/MGalleryItem.php?id=370[/img]

JohnKachenmeister

I really don't recall what it looked like, but I remember seeing one years ago.  I remember that I thought it looked goofy, and forced it from my mind.
Another former CAP officer

manfredvonrichthofen

Yeah, I know, most people think they are ugly, but you know some of us like these sort of things for the tradition and history of CAP.  I would like to see about how to get NHQ to authorize it to be sold by the company that has the pattern or to get them to sell it to VG.

SarDragon

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 11, 2011, 12:40:36 AM
Yeah, I know, most people think they are ugly, but you know some of us like these sort of things for the tradition and history of CAP.  I would like to see about how to get NHQ to authorize it to be sold by the company that has the pattern or to get them to sell it to VG.

Tradition? I don't think so.The item is less than ten years old, and wasn't very popular when it was available.

I'm guessing that the original production run has sold out, and that the current demand is so low that the manufacturer has little, if any, incentive to make more.

On top of all that, it was, IMHO, ugly. It looked like it had yellow mutant chicken tracks all over it.

Have you checked eBay? They show up on there once in a while.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

Some people, in years past, have called it the "barf" instead of the scarf.  I may buy one for the sake of having one for my collection.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AdAstra

I bought one from The Bookstore for my collection, with no intention to ever wear it. I didn't think the CAP-USAF shield was appropriate for CAP members to wear.
Charles Wiest

a2capt

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on January 10, 2011, 08:10:01 PM...supply them to VG so they can sell to us?
Ummm... I'm not even sure I want to know. Since you've managed to break all your graphic links again, I may not have to worry.  Even the BSA scarf looks lame with the logo on it.

HGjunkie

Quote from: a2capt on January 11, 2011, 02:20:17 AM
Even the BSA scarf looks lame with the logo on it.

Hey. No.  8)
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

IceNine

The current Colorado Wing CC has been spotted wearing the scarf on a few occasions, that's the only time I've seen one.  And when worn correctly looks "not bad" with the green bag.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

JC004

Since the pictures are broken, it's a yellow silk scarf with just a bunch of red props on it.  It was a great way of continuing the great work that has been done over the past few years of simplifying the uniforms and making the whole uniform thing easier to understand.   :-\

SarDragon

Oh, those are props? I could swear that the were yellow red mutant chicken tracks all over it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyboy53

It's not a command scarf, it's an aircrew scarf and I though it was still available from Vanguard.

The scarf was an initiative of Maj. Gen. Bowling to promote pride, espirt de corps, etc., among aircrews, whether blue or green flight suits. It served to dress up the flight suit and allowed the "gee wiz" factor with cadets. I still have one or two.

It's an Air Force thing and was developed when our relationship with Ma Blue was a little bit better. I liked it, still use it from time to time, found it to be a prized collectable, and an excellent award for deserving cadets. Also, I thought it was also worn by the CAP-USAF side.

FW

^I think this is correct.  The Rick Greenhut designed scarf was first introduced to the National Board for consideration after "911".  I don't think it ever was officially authorized for wear and, never became popular.  I have never seen the scarf worn in the field.  I didn't even realize you can still buy one. 

flyboy53

Quote from: FW on January 11, 2011, 11:49:50 AM
^I think this is correct.  The Rick Greenhut designed scarf was first introduced to the National Board for consideration after "911".  I don't think it ever was officially authorized for wear and, never became popular.  I have never seen the scarf worn in the field.  I didn't even realize you can still buy one.

Actually, it was. Please note:

64 CAPM 39-1 23 MARCH 2005
Table 2-4. Men’s and Women’s Flight Suit
L
I
N
E Item Wear Instruction/Materials
1 Flight Suit Green NOMEX. Flight crew members electing to wear this flight suit
must meet the weight and grooming standards. Worn with the badges
and devices described in Figure 2-19...........7 Scarf A yellow and red CAP command scarf is authorized to be worn tucked
into the neck.

And I stand corrected. I never realized it was called the "command scarf."

manfredvonrichthofen

You can't really buy one. VG says they don't have a supplier. I found a company within about ten minutes of searching, they have the pattern, but won't use it because they are aware of the NHQ black vans  >:D. I know it is authorized, and it is not that we want to wear it, yeah we probably would, we want it to have it. I wanted to know if anyone knew how to push up the chain to get a vendor authorized.

jeders

Well you could always drop the Vanguard people a line and inquire as to why they are failing in their contractual obligations to supply the entire line of CAP products. Though if anyone does know how to get Vanguard to make everything they're supposed to, I'd appreciate it. There are other things that they're supposed to be making that they aren't.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: jeders on January 11, 2011, 01:53:21 PM
Well you could always drop the Vanguard people a line and inquire as to why they are failing in their contractual obligations to supply the entire line of CAP products. Though if anyone does know how to get Vanguard to make everything they're supposed to, I'd appreciate it. There are other things that they're supposed to be making that they aren't.
I would be interested to find out what all they aren't selling that they are supposed to, other than the uniform components such as the service jacket and pants for the Aviator shirt. So what aren't they selling?

jeders

Obviously the command scarf, also unit citation streamers I know. I'm sure that there are a number of other items.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse