Yeager Award - next Step + bonus

Started by acarlson, December 17, 2006, 06:12:36 PM

acarlson

the AEPSM (AE Program Senior Members) ( i.e., the "Yeager Award") is considered Step 1 in the Senior members' AE program.  Three notes of special interest:
1) Take the on-line Yeager/AEPSM test BEFORE completing Level II and you receive the "Yeager Seal" on your Level II - General Benjamin O. Davis Jr Award Certificate (formerly "Certificate of Proficiency")

2) AND here's the BONUS:  the same AEPSM/Yeager test fulfills one of the Level IV requirements to wards the Paul E. Garber Award.

3) Step 2 in the AE Program for senior members after taking the AEPSM on-line test, is to achieve attach Rating as an AEO.

Annette Carlson, 1Lt CAP
PDO, PAO, Pers, & Historian
Doylestown Composite Squadron 907
Doylestown PA

Eclipse

Yes.  None of this is new, so I'm not sure where you're going with this...

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on December 17, 2006, 06:23:07 PM

I'll not try to speak for this person too much, but it may just be one of those revelations people make and have to proclaim.

Yeager is a worthy program when administered correctly, I would encourage everyone to get it.  It improves the prestige of the unit.

Pilots should find it a WALK-in-the-PARK and non-Pilots should find it informative.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 17, 2006, 07:17:20 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 17, 2006, 06:23:07 PM

I'll not try to speak for this person too much, but it may just be one of those revelations people make and have to proclaim.

Yeager is a worthy program when administered correctly, I would encourage everyone to get it.  It improves the prestige of the unit.

Pilots should find it a WALK-in-the-PARK and non-Pilots should find it informative.

I believe Eclipse was trying to say this: "We know this, why are you telling us something we already know?"

As far as "one of those revelations people make and have to proclaim", did you consider that concept when you first started the thread?

Eclipse

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 17, 2006, 07:17:20 PMYeager is a worthy program when administered correctly, I would encourage everyone to get it.  It improves the prestige of the unit.

That I agree with, unfortunately, when they put it online /open book, they watered down the award.

For many it can just be 15-20 minutes spent with the search function and another ribbon.

Contrasting many who took it seriously and spent days / weeks, in unit meetings or study groups to actually learn something.

I'm not in that group, btw - haven't taken it yet.  We're kicking around doing a structured adult ES program in '07.  We'll see.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 17, 2006, 07:24:24 PM
As far as "one of those revelations people make and have to proclaim", did you consider that concept when you first started the thread?

All I'm saying by that is that sometimes we get those EUREKA moments and want to tell some one...see what they say.

Sometimes a statement of the obvious can start a fresh conversation on the matter.

As for other issues in this thread...

I think a structured AE Adult program is a great idea.  Pilots already have this info, thus, I feel that they are in a unique position to help.  Sort of as "living reference texts."  A pilot also might be qualifed to take the test cold.  Aside from the historical issues and events, it should be child's play.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Hawk200

Quote from: Major Carrales on December 17, 2006, 08:14:47 PM
All I'm saying by that is that sometimes we get those EUREKA moments and want to tell some one...see what they say.

I can understand that.

I think a structured AE Adult program is a great idea.  Pilots already have this info, thus, I feel that they are in a unique position to help.  Sort of as "living reference texts."  A pilot also might be qualifed to take the test cold.  Aside from the historical issues and events, it should be child's play.

True. I already have a Yeager, took it many years ago. Good info in there.

Downside is that it can probably be  a little difficult. Aside from the likely to asked question of "How does it benefit me?, there is also an issue of having time for it. At unit meetings, I spend half the night doing paperwork. The other half is taken up with assisting with the cadets, and digging up other info for members (all of them, not just seniors). Might be hard to find the time to do a formal program.

There are people that like the bling, so sometimes "Hey, you get a ribbon for it" can be a pretty juicy carrot.

Pylon

Quote from: acarlson on December 17, 2006, 06:12:36 PM
the AEPSM (AE Program Senior Members) ( i.e., the "Yeager Award") is considered Step 1 in the Senior members' AE program.  Three notes of special interest:
1) Take the on-line Yeager/AEPSM test BEFORE completing Level II and you receive the "Yeager Seal" on your Level II - General Benjamin O. Davis Jr Award Certificate (formerly "Certificate of Proficiency")

2) AND here's the BONUS:  the same AEPSM/Yeager test fulfills one of the Level IV requirements to wards the Paul E. Garber Award.

3) Step 2 in the AE Program for senior members after taking the AEPSM on-line test, is to achieve attach Rating as an AEO.

Thanks for sharing!

Perhaps in the rush of the holiday season, several of you have lost sight of why we are actually here at CAPTalk.  The primary reason of this forum is not to debate uniforms or national-level politics, but rather to exchange and share information useful to other members in their professional CAP capacities.

While this information might be old-hat to some of us, it could easily serve as a motiviation for another member to go online and take the Yeager, or be a great way of wording encouragement to take the test that another AEO could use in his or her unit's newsletter.  Please don't chide people for sharing useful and applicable information even if you are already aware of it.  It's unprofessional, at best.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Major Carrales

Quote from: Pylon on December 17, 2006, 11:38:39 PM

Thanks for sharing!

Perhaps in the rush of the holiday season, several of you have lost sight of why we are actually here at CAPTalk.  The primary reason of this forum is not to debate uniforms or national-level politics, but rather to exchange and share information useful to other members in their professional CAP capacities.

While this information might be old-hat to some of us, it could easily serve as a motiviation for another member to go online and take the Yeager, or be a great way of wording encouragement to take the test that another AEO could use in his or her unit's newsletter.  Please don't chide people for sharing useful and applicable information even if you are already aware of it.  It's unprofessional, at best.

That's spot on...I second that.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

Yeah guys... Way to make a new user feel welcome.  :(
Mike Johnston

Monty

Quote from: MIKE on December 18, 2006, 12:16:50 AM
Yeah guys... Way to make a new user feel welcome.  :(

Maybe some of the posters on CAPTalk weren't hugged enough as kids....who knows what makes some folks so combative.

As for the AEPSM info...way for the new gal to bring that info to the forefront!  I know plenty of CAP seniors that require to be retold many things, time after time after time...

And welcome to CAPTalk, Annette!   :)

davedove

Not only is the Yeager award something every member should try to attain, it really isn't that hard.  Since it's online and open book all the answers are right there in front of you.  Even without the book, I probably could have answered at least half of the questions even before I looked at the book, just from my general education.  And I'm not some kid fresh out of school.  It's been over twenty years now since I finished college.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

DeputyDog

Quote from: msmjr2003 on December 18, 2006, 02:14:41 AM
As for the AEPSM info...way for the new gal to bring that info to the forefront!  I know plenty of CAP seniors that require to be retold many things, time after time after time...
I've had problems trying to motivate Seniors to actually take the Yeager. My Group has set a goal for 100 percent Yeager completion for all new Seniors within 18 months of joining, but we are going to miss that goal by at least 70 percent. I've gone as far as to send Seniors (or officers) the links to the book and the link to the site for the test.

The funny thing...a few months ago I had one Senior ask, "What's the Yeager test?" That officer has been in for 3 years...

RocketPropelled

Quote from: msmjr2003 on December 18, 2006, 02:14:41 AMMaybe some of the posters on CAPTalk weren't hugged enough as kids....who knows what makes some folks so combative.

I know I wasn't.

Sadly, there is not yet an online test or achievement for a Master Rating in "Surly."

Time to start writing that NEC proposal!  It can't possibly be more foolish than some I've read.... ;)

Oh, and welcome to the board, Lt Carlson!

SarDragon

The online test is exactly the same test as the paper test. Both are open-book, so I see little difference in the end result, or the means toward the end.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Carrales

My, I can see by your signature you wear many hats these days.  I wore all those at once save the "Personnel" one last year.  Then, they consolidated them all into one...SQUADRON COMMANDER.

As more people join your efforts, shed them one by one to people passionate about CAP...the results will reap much harvest.

Keep 'en Flying,
Major Carrales

Commander
SWR-TX-454

carnold1836

Quote from: DeputyDog on December 18, 2006, 03:31:26 AM
I've had problems trying to motivate Seniors to actually take the Yeager. My Group has set a goal for 100 percent Yeager completion for all new Seniors within 18 months of joining, but we are going to miss that goal by at least 70 percent. I've gone as far as to send Seniors (or officers) the links to the book and the link to the site for the test.

The funny thing...a few months ago I had one Senior ask, "What's the Yeager test?" That officer has been in for 3 years...

Until this year my squadron had only a few Yeager award recipients. I was appointed to the "internal" AEO and we awarded not only 5 Yeagers at our December awards ceremony but also a Crossfield as well. Now did I do anything different than the former AEO? No, except I took the test and let everybody no what I had accomplished. I then challenged any Senior Officer to take a few hours out of their busy schedule and take the open book test. Low and behold here we are 4 months after I took the test with 5 new Yeagers in the unit.

To get it done try to use peer pressure for the "younger" (read under 40yo and less than 1 year service) Sr Officers, and bribery for the "older" (everyone else with plenty of senority, both age and service) members. It worked for me.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

Pylon

Quote from: msmjr2003 on December 18, 2006, 02:14:41 AM
And welcome to CAPTalk, Annette!   :)

Quote from: RocketPropelled on December 18, 2006, 05:05:54 AM
Oh, and welcome to the board, Lt Carlson!

Definitely!  Welcome, and thanks for contributing right out of the gate!  :)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

ColonelJack

I'll add my ditto to the welcome to the board, Annette ...

...and see how many of you earned the Yeager Award even before it was called the Yeager Award???  My certificate (from 1984!) just says Aerospace Education Program for Senior Members.  It didn't become the Yeager until after that!

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Monty

I'll be the first to fess up........the thought of taking the time (regardless of being an open-book exam) left me cold during the bureaucratic days of ordering the paper version of the AEPSM.

Even though I always was told it wasn't that involved....in my mind, it was.

In '04, I became a "guinea pig" in WAWG for the online version.  With the AE book in one window, and the test in another window, it was a simple 20 minutes (and yup, you'll know a GOOD deal of it without the text, if you were awake during High School and maybe college.)

It's such an easy procedure that now, this AEPSM deal could almost become as automatic as the Membership Ribbon.

(Sadly though, even a few of my own staff members have grafted the same "apathetic" response I had to the paper test onto the new online test...  That boggles my mind!)   :(