Benefits of a USAF Officer CAP/CC

Started by PhoenixRisen, December 06, 2010, 12:27:32 AM

Earhart1971

If we keep doing the same things over and over, we will get the same result.

Our obsession with an Air Force Officer retired or active as a National Commander, that will make everything all better for us, is the same old road we have been down. Air Force Officers are not used to working in organizations that have no budget or a very tiny budget for operations with lots of unpaid volunteers.

Curtis LeMay would not work as a CAP National Commander.

A Curtis LeMay would have zero interest in talking to Congress about money.

We probably need to draw from someone that is a promoter and a very good fund raiser, and someone that can persuade the NB to come up with a strategic plan. 

Major Carrales

I have to agree.  Having a USAF General Officer in charge of CAP is not a "savior's solution."  We often fall into the idea that someone from the "outside" will save us.  Fact is, it is up to us to save ourselves.

If you being in a USAF Officer with no prior CAP experience they will likely expect certain things to be in place that can never be.  Shifting it all over the county would likely create chaos.  Once they find out that CAP units are meeting in old abandoned hangars, schools and all sorts of places that CAP and USAF have no authority over...there will be a large disconnect.  That most CAP infrastructure is through mutual aid.

Imagine such an officer making mandates of units  that have little resources to work with.  Yes, they accomplish the mission, but rely on only local and member funding to make things work.  It is one thing to pitch in for the good of the unit, it is another to be forced to do it.

In reality, having a USAF Officer in direct control on CAP will not be as many here think it would be.  Likely it will be a nightmare of unforeseen issues.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

FW

If the National Commander and Executive Director slots were merged, I think it would be prudent to have the National Vice Commander as National Board Chairman.  First, the Vice Commander would now assume the top volunteer leadership position in CAP.  Second, the CV would be the "voice" of the BoG to the volunteers at the NEC and NB level.  The CV could be the responsible leader to insure volunteer member compliance and, bring member concerns to the BoG. 
Also, because the National Commander slot would be a salaried position, and be supervised by the BoG, it would be prudent for the National Commander to take the "Executive Secretary" position and, lose voting status.  A third "at large" CAP slot would be created to fill the gap.

Just a thought...

wuzafuzz

I prefer to believe a general officer (retired or active) is educated and flexible enough to adapt to CAP leadership while allowing us to benefit from his or her Air Force experience.  Haven't plenty of generals and admirals transitioned to, and excelled in, private industry and non-profits?  There are pros and cons to evaluate, but it need not be a nightmare scenario. 
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Major Carrales

Quote from: wuzafuzz on December 23, 2010, 05:35:10 PM
I prefer to believe a general officer (retired or active) is educated and flexible enough to adapt to CAP leadership while allowing us to benefit from his or her Air Force experience.  Haven't plenty of generals and admirals transitioned to, and excelled in, private industry and non-profits?  There are pros and cons to evaluate, but it need not be a nightmare scenario.

My concern en re this issue is all the "pipe dreaming" that is being done in this thread about how such an officer would "save us!!!"  In that lies the nightmare.  Anytime people start to build up false impressions (many times repeated so many times to be thought of as truth) without adherence to realities as if their "fantasy frame work" were ordained future the potential for disappointment, catastrophic disappointment (were even faith in the organization is shaken), increases geometrically.

I can point to countless topics here where some one is ousted and an expectation for the successor is made into a grandiose "mandate of heaven" and then that person (doing a fine job) cannot live up to all that (and people's fantasy frameworks) resulting in a worse impression than before.

Beware finding "perfection," that only exists in one's mind and seldom, if ever, exists in the real world.   Don't march blindly toward a presumed light blinded to the pratfalls and obstacles.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Smithsonia

This conversation harkens back to our founding. JF Curry, Wright Vermilya, Gens. Emmons, Olds, Metts, Arnold, Spaatz, and Stratemayer represented the Army's view: "We are organized - ready - lets go." AND the LaGuardia, Wilson, Gannett, and Loening view - Let's keep this a bit more Civil, folks. These were noble debates made by thinking and honest contenders.

Ever since the opening debates about how best to organize CAP - we have suffered from the internal politics of the civilian world and the external identification confusion and dysfunction that is the military's, particularly in peace time.

Frankly, I believe and have the supporting history to state. This is a completely inefficient and completely effective way to run this organization. The tug and pull between Military and Civilian identities is in our DNA. In this way it is like stress. Exercise Stress is good for your muscles and bones but Mental Stress is bad for your brain and sleep. SO, whicha gonna do?
With regards;
ED OBRIEN

Earhart1971

Quote from: FW on December 23, 2010, 01:43:06 PM
If the National Commander and Executive Director slots were merged, I think it would be prudent to have the National Vice Commander as National Board Chairman.  First, the Vice Commander would now assume the top volunteer leadership position in CAP.  Second, the CV would be the "voice" of the BoG to the volunteers at the NEC and NB level.  The CV could be the responsible leader to insure volunteer member compliance and, bring member concerns to the BoG. 
Also, because the National Commander slot would be a salaried position, and be supervised by the BoG, it would be prudent for the National Commander to take the "Executive Secretary" position and, lose voting status.  A third "at large" CAP slot would be created to fill the gap.

Just a thought...

Ok I am on board with the idea, if you are talking about the Executive Director as in the position that is filled by Don Rowland now.

Earhart1971

If you are filling a Salaried position (Executive Director and National Commander) the perfect person for that position, might be someone who has EXTENSIVE Lobbying experience in Washington, and has had dealings with the Congress on getting funding for successful programs.

And someone with a GREAT VISION for CAP. I dont think the vision could come from the BOG or the NB, it would have to be an individual that comes up with plan that the BOG and the NB jumps on board with.

Some areas that could demand more funding. A Jack Sorenson personality, that can perform in all areas of CAP.

More funds for Operational Training

An Expanded Cadet Program with better support of the Cadet Program, and possibly a partnership with AFROTC. Cost sharing. Salaried Instructors, School Program funding.

Defender

I respectfully submit that we leave things alone. 

Inspire through effective leadership the professionalism we know our personnel are capable of.

Watch the "trickle UP" effect take place in the process.

Yes, I know I'm an idealist...but then again, people are powerful motivators of one another.

We've got a great head of steam built up with the USAF, at least we do here in Ohio, and I'd like to
think that it counts for something.  Let's parlay our creative energies into making our people our greates asset and work out our changes from the bottom up. 

JOHN R SANTIAGO, 1LT, CAP
COMMANDER     GLR OH 051

"Excellence Is Our Standard"

Spaceman3750

Quote from: Earhart1971 on December 31, 2010, 07:18:57 PM
If you are filling a Salaried position (Executive Director and National Commander) the perfect person for that position, might be someone who has EXTENSIVE Lobbying experience in Washington, and has had dealings with the Congress on getting funding for successful programs.

And someone with a GREAT VISION for CAP. I dont think the vision could come from the BOG or the NB, it would have to be an individual that comes up with plan that the BOG and the NB jumps on board with.

Some areas that could demand more funding. A Jack Sorenson personality, that can perform in all areas of CAP.

More funds for Operational Training

An Expanded Cadet Program with better support of the Cadet Program, and possibly a partnership with AFROTC. Cost sharing. Salaried Instructors, School Program funding.

I believe our National Commander is a volunteer.

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

FW

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on January 13, 2011, 05:15:34 AM
I believe our National Commander is a volunteer.

Presently, yes.  However, it may not be so in the future.  That is what this discussion is about. ::)

Earhart1971

A National Commander on salary would have to be carefully chosen. I am afraid all that are on salary now at National are mostly in fear of losing their job if they make waves.

That said, a paid National Commander that has a vision and a plan to execute, might improve CAP. Let the NB and BOG overwatch, but the National Commander Commands.

CAP_truth

Lets not forget that CAP did have a retired 4 star General as Chairman of the National Board. Gen. Carl Spaatz served as chairman when CAP was made a permanent auxiliary of The USAF. We are a federally charter corporate organization by act of congress, and in order to change that we would need another act of congress.
Cadet CoP
Wilson

NCRblues

Quote from: CAP_truth on January 18, 2011, 12:00:28 AM
Lets not forget that CAP did have a retired 4 star General as Chairman of the National Board. Gen. Carl Spaatz served as chairman when CAP was made a permanent auxiliary of The USAF. We are a federally charter corporate organization by act of congress, and in order to change that we would need another act of congress.

::) because congress has never ever changed there minds before..... ::)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

jimmydeanno

Quote from: NCRblues on January 18, 2011, 12:05:04 AM

"Gentlemen, how are we going to solve this 1.3 trillion dollar budget shortfall and the 65 trillion dollars in unfunded financial obligations?"

"You know, we have better things to talk about Congressman, we need to fix CAP."
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Major Carrales

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 18, 2011, 05:54:55 AM

"Gentlemen, how are we going to solve this 1.3 trillion dollar budget shortfall and the 65 trillion dollars in unfunded financial obligations?"

"You know, we have better things to talk about Congressman, we need to fix CAP."

What if Congress wanted CAP to play a bigger role to off sent the budget?  Do you think that a local CAP unit could effectively man a recruting posts or expand that one program where CAP members augmented USAF installations?  I think if we went that direction...more USAF oversight in terms of National Command would be reasonable.

I think it could be made to work...but we would have to be ready.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

FARRIER

Quote from: jimmydeanno on January 18, 2011, 05:54:55 AM

Didn't McCain want to cut us from the budget in the past?
Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

ColonelJack

IIRC, Senator McCain wanted to transfer CAP to first the Department of Transportation (back in the '90s) and then sometime after 9/11 to the Department of Homeland Security.  In other words, sever our relationship with AF.

I always wondered what his major malfunction with CAP is, anyway ...

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

FW

Quote from: ColonelJack on January 18, 2011, 10:08:19 AM
I always wondered what his major malfunction with CAP is, anyway ...

Jack

He said he doesn't want "non combatant" organizations to be "part of the military" (gee, how ironic given my response to another thread  ;D  )
However, for a more personal answer, you may want to speak with Ms. McCain.  She was a former member and mission pilot who had, from what I heard, a bad experience during a mission... >:D