Benefits of a USAF Officer CAP/CC

Started by PhoenixRisen, December 06, 2010, 12:27:32 AM

ZigZag911

Thank you, Col. Weiss, for clarifying your position...now that I understand where you're coming from, I see that it makes a great deal of sense!

It accomplishes exactly what several of us are advocating --separating wing command from corporate governance. At the same time, it does, in fact, simplify the national structure of CAP.

davidsinn

Part of our governance problem is because leading the organization is like this.

This discussion and some of the events of recent years reminds me of this video as well.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

Those are awesome videos - we also give the cats the illusion of an equal opinion, which is nor true, appropriate, nor productive.

"That Others May Zoom"

GMat

davidsinn

Quote from: Eclipse on February 06, 2011, 06:00:33 PM
Those are awesome videos - we also give the cats the illusion of an equal opinion, which is nor true, appropriate, nor productive.

That second video is standard issue whenever ICS is discussed in my AO. It makes the concept a little easier to understand.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

GMat

Do you guys have no sense of humor at all?  Relax a little.

bosshawk

I clearly understand the remark about the retired E-9.  I would second the suggestion.  A retired E-8 would be my second choice, followed by a retired CWO-5.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Eclipse

Quote from: GMat on February 06, 2011, 06:19:13 PM

It isn't about a sense of humor, this suggestion that high-ranking enlisted personnel would somehow "fix" CAP is made on a regular basis.

My personal experience has been Super-Chiefs are the backbone of the military and in most cases amazing leaders, in a military environment
with people duty-bound to serve them to the point of death.

Less-so in the all-volunteer, "you're lucky I showed up at all" mentality of the average CAP member.

"That Others May Zoom"

Major Carrales

Quote from: Eclipse on February 06, 2011, 06:41:38 PM

It isn't about a sense of humor, this suggestion that high-ranking enlisted personnel would somehow "fix" CAP is made on a regular basis.

My personal experience has been Super-Chiefs are the backbone of the military and in most cases amazing leaders, in a military environment
with people duty-bound to serve them to the point of death.

Less-so in the all-volunteer, "you're lucky I showed up at all" mentality of the average CAP member.

There is a items of truth in what you say Eclipse that needs to be made more clear.  When our Lt Col in San Antonio gives us an order or mandate, we go out of our way to comply within what is possible.  We comply...however, there is an element in CAP that does not reply to that well.

Any new commander to CAP, be it Squadron, Group, Wing, Region or National has to understand that every CAP Officer and Cadet lives a well balanced life.  The is Work, Family, Church (for some), finance and other duties born of those three that have to be taken into account.

One has to take into account, when making mandates, of how it will affect the membership.  How will mandating multiple week long trainings (over even weekend ones) affect/effect the employment and family duties of a given member.  I, for example, do a lot of CAP, but I have to go home sometime.

SARexs on Holidays (Holy Days) and Sabbath affects personnel, Commanders have to take that into account.

Then there are the financial concerns.  How does the policy effect the CAP officer's or Cadet pocket book?  Everyone wants their fantasy uniform item, however, making it mandatory effects membership via cost.  Week long training away from home seems like a good idea, but that's money we're talking about.

And yes, I know some people will say something about having to "pay the dues" or that "CAP is 'come and pay'" however, there is a drain on resources that will make some membership...good contributing membership...say "this isn't worth it.  I just dropped 300 dollars for said uniform item and now its discontinued.  They should have said it was not gonna last!  I'm gone!"

Much of what is written above is based on some past events even discussed here.

That is the challenge...new leaders from the USAF might not be "up on those" kind of factors and, in the adjusting process, they will lose credibility and then be looked at the same as those leaders here.  If we have the "elections process" mentioned here several times...it will be a turkey shoot of throwing out the wrong guys.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

PHall

Humor doesn't translate well on the internets unless you give a clue.

Something like  ;) ;D 8) ::) >:D :clap:

GMat

Wow... you guys take this stuff entirely too seriously.  If the organization is that screwed up, then leave when your enlistment is up.  Then you can get a better paying contract elsewhere, like the Coast Guard Aux.    ;D

Major Carrales

Quote from: GMat on February 06, 2011, 08:07:42 PM
Wow... you guys take this stuff entirely too seriously.  If the organization is that screwed up, then leave when your enlistment is up.  Then you can get a better paying contract elsewhere, like the Coast Guard Aux.    ;D

Don't worry about it.  I sometimes use a style of writing that often gets misinterpreted as pomposity, 'tis the curse of the forum.  We get so used to inflections and gestures that we, when are found in their absence, "imply them..." that, however, leads to all sorts of misunderstanding.

Don't take is so personal, tempers often flair on subjects like this...which is ironic, since nothing said here carries  any force of policy or anything.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

NCRblues

Quote from: Major Carrales on February 06, 2011, 08:12:48 PM
Quote from: GMat on February 06, 2011, 08:07:42 PM

Don't worry about it.  I sometimes use a style of writing that often gets misinterpreted as pomposity, 'tis the curse of the forum.  We get so used to inflections and gestures that we, when are found in their absence, "imply them..." that, however, leads to all sorts of misunderstanding.

Don't take is so personal, tempers often flair on subjects like this...which is ironic, since nothing said here carries  any force of policy or anything.

Wait, are you telling me, that by posting here, i am NOT part of the NB/NEC/Bog's national commander sponsored (national executive approved) committie on inter-cap governance relationships?? Well, now I'm upset....things to need to change on our governance mod.....oh wait >:D

(btw the above was a sarcastic attempt at humor)
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

Longshot

Your "CAP Insightful" comments are being monitored and endorsed by the dishonored, discredited, and correctly "dis-membered"  Ray Hayden.  Perhaps Bernie Maddow will be next.   ;D

JeffDG

Quote from: Longshot on February 07, 2011, 12:17:50 AM
Your "CAP Insightful" comments are being monitored and endorsed by the dishonored, discredited, and correctly "dis-membered"  Ray Hayden.  Perhaps Bernie Maddow will be next.   ;D

Is he some kind of offspring of the jailed Ponzi Schemer and the MSNBC host?

Longshot

Quote from: JeffDG on February 07, 2011, 12:28:45 AM
Quote from: Longshot on February 07, 2011, 12:17:50 AM

Is he some kind of offspring of the jailed Ponzi Schemer and the MSNBC host?

Kind of...

Mustang

Quote from: RiverAux on February 06, 2011, 02:54:25 PM
I think most would agree that ONE of the problems is the "who is in charge?" issue.

Not sure I agree with this assessment.  It's pretty clear that the CAP/CC is "in charge", but what some people are still struggling with is the notion that everybody answers to somebody, and that somebody in CAP/CC's case is the American people, via the BoG. 

All too often we hear people making claims of CAP being a private corporation that answers to no one, when the truth is, it is a public corporation owned by the American public, through Congress.  Congress could wave its collective hand and end CAP tomorrow, and some of our leaders, past and present, have forgotten that (if they ever were aware of it).

Personally, I am in favor of dissolving the National Board, or at least removing the wing commanders from it. Wing commanders are supposed to be experienced, knowledgeable CAP leaders, but in practice, not so much. I've been astonished by number of them with very limited CAP service in recent years. And unfortunately, some of these end up on the NEC.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: PHall on February 05, 2011, 06:21:49 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on February 05, 2011, 05:17:54 AM
Quote from: FW on February 05, 2011, 04:13:21 AM

It's just a shame we have our egos which keep getting in the way.  Hence, as Ned says, the reason for an independent study on governance.
And I wonder how much money this study is going to cost the membership, and hopefully it won't be the American taxpayer that will be footing this bill!
RM

They'll know how much it's going to cost when they accept the winning bid.
And it will be coming from your dues money, so make sure you renew. We need the bucks.
"CAP Insight" is stating that the request for proposal/contract for the study is $100K >:(
Now wouldn't that be something IF it's going to cost that much and the BOG actually approved this :-\   
RM

FW

Quote from: Mustang on February 07, 2011, 01:34:00 AM
Quote from: RiverAux on February 06, 2011, 02:54:25 PM
I think most would agree that ONE of the problems is the "who is in charge?" issue.

Not sure I agree with this assessment.  It's pretty clear that the CAP/CC is "in charge", but what some people are still struggling with is the notion that everybody answers to somebody, and that somebody in CAP/CC's case is the American people, via the BoG. 

It may seem clear to you however, there seems to be confusion where it matters most; between the commander and the BoG.  Ask Sen. Levin and the SECAF for details.  It's one of the reasons CAP is conducting the governance study...

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on February 07, 2011, 02:06:18 AM
Quote from: PHall on February 05, 2011, 06:21:49 AM
Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on February 05, 2011, 05:17:54 AM
Quote from: FW on February 05, 2011, 04:13:21 AM

It's just a shame we have our egos which keep getting in the way.  Hence, as Ned says, the reason for an independent study on governance.
And I wonder how much money this study is going to cost the membership, and hopefully it won't be the American taxpayer that will be footing this bill!
RM

They'll know how much it's going to cost when they accept the winning bid.
And it will be coming from your dues money, so make sure you renew. We need the bucks.
"CAP Insight" is stating that the request for proposal/contract for the study is $100K >:(
Now wouldn't that be something IF it's going to cost that much and the BOG actually approved this :-\   
RM

From what I've been told, the amount the BoG is willing to spend for the study is "up to $100,000". The bid process will determine the actual cost.  However, what ever the cost is, it comes from our piggy bank.  But, we gave it willingly for CAP to use as "they see fit"; now didn't we.