Main Menu

The Texas Thread

Started by Major Carrales, December 15, 2006, 10:09:53 PM

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DrJbdm on December 28, 2006, 01:36:53 AM
  I'm looking forward to the Texas Wing Conference, but information on it seems to be a bit hard to find just yet. Perhaps we're still a bit early for all the info. I went o the last one and felt it was pretty good.

I have heard a rumor that I wonder if any of ya'll can answer, I have heard that starting this year all future Texas Wing Conferences are going to be held in Austin? I was told this was done because Austin was viewed as being more central for everyone in Texas Wing.  Has anyone heard anything about this?

From what I understand, they've got a good deal this year for the Austin Bergstrom Hilton (the old 'Roundhouse' former HQ of 12th AF and former location of TX WG HQ).
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DrJbdm

The last time I was in that place it was 12th AF headquaters, it will be interesting to see how it looks now as a Hotel, I suspect I will not recognise anything as it used to be.

carnold1836

Quote from: DrJbdm on December 28, 2006, 01:36:53 AM
  I'm looking forward to the Texas Wing Conference, but information on it seems to be a bit hard to find just yet. Perhaps we're still a bit early for all the info. I went o the last one and felt it was pretty good.

I have heard a rumor that I wonder if any of ya'll can answer, I have heard that starting this year all future Texas Wing Conferences are going to be held in Austin? I was told this was done because Austin was viewed as being more central for everyone in Texas Wing.  Has anyone heard anything about this?

There has been a 3 year contract signed with the ABIA Hilton (AKA the donut). So for at least the next 3 years we will be having TXWG conference in Austin. I think it will be a good chance to exchange some good information although I will be spending most of my time of at Camp Mabry because of Muster Days as I have said before. So y'all com on over to Mabry and see me.
Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

DrJbdm

Well, I think that's good news I kinda like having it Austin...so much closer! Ok, maybe I'm biased. lol.

I suspect I will not be around muster days this year, I'm feeling the need to be at the Wing Conference and see everything happening there. I do think Muster days is a good chance for people to see us, and perhaps hear a little about our capabilities. Might help improve our image some.

Major Carrales

It is good to see that this story is "bumping" the darker news of recent time...

News 8 Austin Civil Air Patrol cadets survive week long 'boot camp'
News 8 Austin, TX - Dec 28, 2006
Almost 200 young cadets from around the country are at Camp Swift in Bastrop this week to participate in the Civil Air Patrol, an ROTC-like group tied to the

http://www.news8austin.com/content/your_news/default.asp?ArID=177025
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

carnold1836

Yeah Lt. Jaeger called me as soon as the news crew left to let me know that he and one of my cadets were going to be on TV. Lt Jaeger is the commander of Pegasus Squadron and Evan Petroski is on of our newest cadets. I'm really proud of the good news coming out of Bastrop.

Major Carrales

Quote from: carnold1836 on December 30, 2006, 06:44:47 AM
Yeah Lt. Jaeger called me as soon as the news crew left to let me know that he and one of my cadets were going to be on TV. Lt Jaeger is the commander of Pegasus Squadron and Evan Petroski is on of our newest cadets. I'm really proud of the good news coming out of Bastrop.

We have two cadets there.  I'm proud of them. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DrJbdm

Well, I think it's awesome to be getting news coverage for this kind of stuff.

I think it's great to see some of the things we do presented in a professional manner by the media, it gives us some name recognition...and that my friends in always important as long as it's positive name recognition!.

Gees, makes me wish I could have gone to Camp Swift this year...Oh well, there's always next year...schedule permitting.

Major Carrales

This is the weekend of the Texas WIng Distributive SARex, a the latest Wing-wide Training exercise. 

What are y'all planning?

Our unit will be attending the Victoria Staging Area to train in aviation and ground team.  We will also be looking at how they run their Staging Area for eventual duplication in Corpus Christi at some future date.

Any comments or advice will be very welcome.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Major Carrales on January 10, 2007, 03:31:11 PM
This is the weekend of the Texas WIng Distributive SARex, a the latest Wing-wide Training exercise. 

What are y'all planning?

Our unit will be attending the Victoria Staging Area to train in aviation and ground team.  We will also be looking at how they run their Staging Area for eventual duplication in Corpus Christi at some future date.

Any comments or advice will be very welcome.

Yours truly is training for CUL at Addison Mission Base.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

carnold1836

Not doing anything with this weekend's DSAREX, basically our radio antenna is going back up this weekend after our building got a new roof.

But we are hosting Group III FTX in Belton the weekend of 19-21 Jan. Any and all interested send me a PM.

Some basics:
$15.00 reg fee
sign in starts at 1800 hours Friday night and again 0800 Saturday morning
Need Curry(cadets)/Level1(senior officers) and GES 116
we will be working on GTM 3,2 and GTL
will have at least one mission number with hopefully two (2) sorties.
Saturday breakfast, lunch, dinner, Sunday breakfast provided
need 24 hour pack for GTM 3
need 72 hour pack for GTM 2 and GTL
We should dismiss students by 1100 sunday morning

Major Carrales

Jan. 22, 2007

Gov. Perry Announces Phase II of State-Led Border Security Operation
Operation Wrangler expands border crime initiatives statewide

AUSTIN – Today Gov. Rick Perry announced the launch of Operation Wrangler, a statewide expansion of highly successful border security surge operations. This statewide surge operation will be active for an undisclosed period of time in different areas across Texas.

"Operation Wrangler continues the state's steadfast efforts to prevent and disrupt criminal activity along the border region by expanding security measures statewide," Perry said. "An unsecured border affects the entire state of Texas and our nation as a whole. Until the federal government brings the necessary resources to bear, Texas will continue to do all we can to secure our border and protect our citizens."

Operation Wrangler is a coordinated interagency law enforcement surge effort intended to prevent and disrupt all crime and illegal international drug and human trafficking. Operation Wrangler will involve federal, state and local ground, air and water-borne assets, including more than 6,800 personnel, 2,200 vehicles, 48 helicopters, 33 fixed wing aircraft and 35 patrol ships.

In addition to the more than 1,700 Texas Army National Guard troops Gov. Perry activated for Operation Jump Start to support U.S. Border Patrol activities, he has activated an additional 604 troops, comprising 12 armed security platoons. These platoons will deploy to various traffic crossovers along the Rio Grande River to support Operation Wrangler, and each platoon will be accompanied by a Border Patrol agent and a local police officer.

Local, state and federal agencies involved in Operation Wrangler include up to 90 sheriffs' offices and 133 police departments; the Texas Department of Public Safety; the Texas Department of Transportation; the National Park Service; the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department; the U.S. Department of Homeland Security; the Texas Civil Air Patrol; the Texas Cattleman's Association; Texas Military Forces; Texas Task Force 1; the U.S. Customs and Border Protection Agency; the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency; the Federal Bureau of Investigation; Immigration & Customs Enforcement; the Railroad Police; the U.S. Transportation Security Agency; the U.S. Postal Service; the U.S. Coast Guard; and the University of Texas Center for Space Research.

The Border Security Operations Center (BSOC) within the State Operations Center will serve as a central point of coordination for state, local and federal officials during Operation Wrangler. Joint Operational Intelligence Centers (JOIC) will be positioned throughout the state to provide real-time information and intelligence in support of these surge operations. Five of the JOICs will be located at Border Patrol offices along the border and the others will be located along smuggling corridors around the state.

"We have proven that our strategy of increasing manpower and patrols along the border decreases criminal activity," Perry said. "We will continue to apply these methods of success across the state, and I will continue to urge Congress to meet its long-term responsibility by providing the necessary resources and manpower to secure our nation's borders."

Operation Rio Grande, launched February 2006, reduced all crime by an average of 60 percent in sheriff-patrolled areas of border counties during five surge operations last year. Perry will ask the Texas Legislature for an additional $100 million during the legislative session to sustain border security efforts.

"This effort is about making our border more secure and our neighborhoods safer," Perry said. "This unprecedented effort is just the beginning of a long-term commitment to rid our state of drug trafficking and human smuggling."

Commander
SWR-TX-454

carnold1836

You beat me to it Maj. Joe. Looks like the fly boys will be getting more missions and us ground pounders will get stuck at home being bored ::).

carnold1836

Just a heads up Pegasus Sqdn in Austin is currently planing an ALS for some time in March. A perfect way to jump start your new cadets, all testing will be provided to get them their Curry when they graduate. Testing will be available for Arnold and Fiek as well. This is a great precursor to CTEP coming in April. Space will be limited since we are going to be billeting at Camp Mabry. If you have questions please contact me. I will be posting more info as it gets put together.

DNall

ALS in Houston also: 16-18Mar at Ellington

I wouldn't worry much about that stuff from the governor. He's making noise trying to become the VP candidate in 08. It's nice to be mentioned in that company, but for now I don't think there will be much or any work. I'd expect a big push down the road when it's politically convenient though.

Major Carrales

Quote from: carnold1836 on January 24, 2007, 02:13:14 PM
You beat me to it Maj. Joe. Looks like the fly boys will be getting more missions and us ground pounders will get stuck at home being bored ::).

Not so, if ground pounders would double as COMM people and Mission Scanners they coudl get into this sort of thing. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DNall

^ not they can't. You have to be an experienced MP or MO for CN work, and that's who they draw from for these ops. At least that's my understanding. So go get an observer rating knocked out.

Major Carrales

Quote from: DNall on January 24, 2007, 02:34:53 PM
^ not they can't. You have to be an experienced MP or MO for CN work, and that's who they draw from for these ops. At least that's my understanding. So go get an observer rating knocked out.

It is exactally for these reasons that I once proposed the WHOLE CAP approach...where a person has a focus in one area, but does a bit of a minimum in others.

Example...

All Aviators UDF qualified

All Ground team memebrs with at least a Scanner Rating

Et Cetra...

Its the idea of cross training for versatility in the mission. The idea came to me while wathcing Star Trek when I noticed that all the bridge officers (including Captain Kirk and the ubiqitous Mr Leslie)  could operate any station on the bridge if called to do so.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

carnold1836

I would love to get MS and MO but there aren't any courses lately. Trying to get something like that going here in Group III is like pulling teeth on a crocodile. And as for one being offered in other parts of the state I really can't travel due to expenses, heck even gas to get some place is prohibitive. Oh well I guess I will just have to get my squadron or Kittinger Senior Squadron at ABIA to run one soon. God provides to those who provide for themselves, or something like that. ;D

DNall

I think UDF is in the MO task guide, or at least it should be. & I could go along with basic scanner at the GTL level. I got observer & master GT, niether one current anymore. I can tell you for a fact that aircrews that don't understand the dynamic on the ground are about useless to me, and since I understood that in the air I was able to deliver better services. You desperately need both skill sets when you move to AOBD or GBD

Quote from: carnold1836 on January 24, 2007, 04:17:03 PM
I would love to get MS and MO but there aren't any courses lately.
None here either. Which is too bad, that's how I wne thru the first time & it was great. Working w/ Hobby to get my people up to speed.