Main Menu

The Texas Thread

Started by Major Carrales, December 15, 2006, 10:09:53 PM

Skyray

If you are a senior member, you need two of them to complete level 2.  Or was it level 1?  Go, they are fun.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

jimmydeanno

Quote from: addo1 on August 20, 2007, 08:45:54 PM
Quote from: Major Carrales on December 15, 2006, 10:20:28 PM
OK TEXANS, who's going to the WING CONFERENCE in APRIL and where are we going to meet?

Texas Wing Conference
Austin-Bergstrom Airport Hilton,
Austin, TX
Lt Col N King
APR 13-15

OK, go ahead and laugh at me..... Now that your laugh is done, could somebody please tell me what the Texas Wing Conference is exactly??? (i'm pretty new)  ???

No such thing as a dumb question:

CAP Wings/Regions/National have conferences.  It is a gathering that usually has a recap of the year at whatever echelon along with an awards ceremony.  Following these, there are typical seminars on various aspects of the CAP program.  At the very end there is usually a formal banquet. 

As a new cadet, you might find it rather informative and interesting.  There are typically many cadets there and would prove to be a good venue for social networking.

If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Skyray

Sorry, I missed the "cadet" signature line.  Jimmy Deanno pretty much explained what it is.  What it is good for is networking.  I have friends all over the country that I met at Wing, Region, and National Conferences.  At your own wing conference you will meet cadets from your own wing and it is a good opportunity for cross-pollination.
Doug Johnson - Miami

RogueLeader

Quote from: Skyray on August 20, 2007, 09:02:48 PM
If you are a senior member, you need two of them to complete level 2.  Or was it level 1?  Go, they are fun.
Sorry. . . it's Level III
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Skyray

Quote from: RogueLeader on August 21, 2007, 01:56:43 AM

Memories fade.  I came in as a Major, so I was trying to catch up to my training level.  I went to my own wing conference, and then I went to the Tennessee Wing Conference so I could get two in in one year.  That was the only thing holding me up, so I finished level III my first year.
Doug Johnson - Miami

RogueLeader

Quote from: Skyray on August 21, 2007, 03:50:22 AM
Quote from: RogueLeader on August 21, 2007, 01:56:43 AM

Memories fade.  I came in as a Major, so I was trying to catch up to my training level.  I went to my own wing conference, and then I went to the Tennessee Wing Conference so I could get two in in one year.  That was the only thing holding me up, so I finished level III my first year.
Lucky, I get the privilege of pulling myself up by my boot straps, but I bet you worked to major in your own way in Mil :) :angel:
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: addo1 on August 20, 2007, 08:45:54 PMOK, go ahead and laugh at me..... Now that your laugh is done, could somebody please tell me what the Texas Wing Conference is exactly??? (i'm pretty new)  ???

The wing and region conferences are geared more toward senior members than cadets; there are few activities for them unless they're attending to receive an award or participating in the Wing or Region CAC meeting.

The conference is usually a 'state of the wing/region/CAP' speech by either the wing, region and sometimes the National Commander, then several breakout sessions covering various facets of CAP, such as cadet programs, professional development, ES, finance, etc. Occasionally, Vanguard will bring some of their stuff for sale. Most of the rest of the time, you're gonna see most senior members hanging out at the bar swapping the latest CAP gossip.

Evening is usually a sumptuous banquet of rubber chicken and plastic peas, washed down with tasteless tea. Plus you get to see some senior members obviously out of weight and grooming standards squeeze into USAF-style mess dress; the poorer cousins (like me) will wind up wearing USAF-style or corporate service dress. After the banquet, more hanging out at the bar watching everyone get plowed!

For senior members, attendance at two wing, region or national conferences (proof being shown by a receipt or someone who can vouch for your presence) is required  to complete Level III. Some wings do have a separate cadet wing conference (Oklahoma being one of 'em - Texas Wing doesn't do 'em).
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

addo1

Thanks, I've been wondering!!!
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP
Coordinator, Texas Wing International Air Cadet Exchange

National Cadet Advisory Council 2010

Wildblueflyer

Does anyone have a POC for the Texas State Air Guard's 401st ASG here in Austin, TX?

Thanks in advance,
Shane W. Burge, 1st Lt CAP

addo1

Since this is the "Texas thread," I thought that I might ask this question here. 

I plan on trying to attend the NCOA CTEP this fall, but I can't find the dates anywhere.  On TexasCadet.org, all I can find is is a link that says "fall of 08."  Is there a date there that I can't see, or have they not decided on the date yet? 
  I have not been to one, so there may be something that I am missing that they do every year, but if someone could help me out, that would be great.
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

RiverAux

Quote from: Wildblueflyer on September 12, 2007, 06:53:53 PM
Does anyone have a POC for the Texas State Air Guard's 401st ASG here in Austin, TX?

Thanks in advance,
Shane W. Burge, 1st Lt CAP

TX SG info@401asg.txsg.org and http://401asg.txsg.org/index.html

addo1

Quote from: addo1 on June 12, 2008, 10:16:09 PM
  Since this is the "Texas thread," I thought that I might ask this question here. 

I plan on trying to attend the NCOA CTEP this fall, but I can't find the dates anywhere.  On TexasCadet.org, all I can find is is a link that says "fall of 08."  Is there a date there that I can't see, or have they not decided on the date yet? 
  I have not been to one, so there may be something that I am missing that they do every year, but if someone could help me out, that would be great.

I am assuming that no one has a clue?  ok...
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Airman Jaynes,

Dates for fall CTEP are not known yet, and are also subject to availability of facilities at Camp Mabry. The TX State Guard - obviously - has priority over the facilities, and we've been bumped off our preferred dates due to deployment commitments. Fall CTEP usually is in the October-November timeframe.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

addo1

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on June 14, 2008, 11:42:28 AM
Airman Jaynes,

Dates for fall CTEP are not known yet, and are also subject to availability of facilities at Camp Mabry. The TX State Guard - obviously - has priority over the facilities, and we've been bumped off our preferred dates due to deployment commitments. Fall CTEP usually is in the October-November timeframe.

Thank you Captain.  I guessed that it was something like that, but was not sure.  That answers my question.  Thanks.  :D
Addison Jaynes, SFO, CAP

Major Carrales

At the last Texas Wing Conference I was able to purchase some challenge coins for some of my members.  One was a TEXAS WING ES COIN, an other was a TEXAS WING CADET PROGRAMS coin and one was just a CAP Challeneg Coin.

Any Texans here know where I can order or acquire more of these?  And the contact person/department who produce them?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Maj. C.,

Contact Maj Phyllis Sutton for the Texas Wing Cadet Programs coins.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

DNall

Or you can just get your own local/specialized ones made up. Coins are only about 4 bucks a pop including shipping. I just had two made recently.

Nolan Teel

Ahhhh I finally found the Texas thread...  Wanted to say hi to everyone from Dallas!!!  Hope things are going well around the state!

es_g0d

Is Texas that little state down south?  Of course, they're ALL little states down there ...  :D
AK-009
Good luck and good hunting,
-Scott
www.CAP-ES.net