Main Menu

The Texas Thread

Started by Major Carrales, December 15, 2006, 10:09:53 PM

JC004

I was in Texas once for the national conference and I like Texas.  Does that count?   ;D

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: JC004 on April 13, 2007, 04:48:46 AM
I was in Texas once for the national conference and I like Texas.  Does that count?   ;D

Yeah, I guess so...  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

Back from the Texas Wing conference where I finally met CAPTalk's famous Major Carrales (he earned the Texas Wing and Southwest Region's PAO of the Year award).

And I think I also saw the Ogdens as well... in between herding cadinks and sleeping (getting up at o-dark-thirty to drive to Austin is NOT my cup o' tea) I may have run into a few others and not known it.

Wing conference was held at the former 'Bergstrom Donut', formerly 10th/12th Air Force and Texas Wing HQ, now the Austin Airport Hilton.

For those that did attend the conference, let's talk it up! Heard the Finance breakout session was a barely-controlled riot.

KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Carrales

It was a pleasure to meet 1st Lt Corway.  I made it a point to insure he was one of the first persons I met.   I also was fortunate to see him "in action" and spent a few extra hours on Sunday (myself and a 1st Lt from my Unit had intended to return by the early afternoon, our wives were not pleased  :o ...oh, well) to watch the Texas Wing CAC in deliberate and elect its new leadership.  Lt Corway is the "Senior" advisor to the CAC.

This was also the first time in some nine years that our unit has been active in CAC.  I was very impressed...in fact, I am of the opinion that CAC is a critical part of CAP.  These cadets were motivated and serious, much more than I have seen of some municipal and county councils/commissions.  The leadership/citizen portion of CAP CADET PROGRAMS come to fruition in CAC.  We, across the Wing, Region and Nation, need to give all our support to it.

I also was able to meet the Ogdens.  Dogden and I sat through the events en re  Finance to which Chuck alludes.

I also meet our Group Commander. He is a good man and I look forward to working with him in the last quarters of 2007 and then in 2008.  Our Group is larger than a lot of Wings...while I had been communicating with him via e-mail and phone being able to talk with him and the other Commanders from our Group's Squadrons was great. 

I will also extend a "shout out" to all the lurkers and other CAPTALKers I meet at the "'Bergstrom Donut.'" ;)

I really enjoyed myself...the Wing Conference was a success.  In all five from our unit, including a cadet and our most recent member, were in attendance.  I think it is good policy to send representatives to the Wing Conference...it is there that the very best of the Wing, the most dedicated and stalward members gather.  Plus, it give us a chance to catchup with old friends.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

DNall

So wing banker... tell me about how that went down. I don't think we had anyone go, and the Army had my attention.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: DNall on April 15, 2007, 11:11:09 PM
So wing banker... tell me about how that went down. I don't think we had anyone go, and the Army had my attention.

Unfortunately, I wasn't at that session, but from what I was told by my current and former squadron commanders who did attend, it was just short of an all out riot in the room. Wing Banker isn't particularly well received in Texas Wing.

Maj. C. - Lt Col Billman's a former cadink - Spaatzen and Frank Borman Falcon Award recipient - definitely look to him as well for cadet programs advice.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Major Carrales

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on April 16, 2007, 12:33:40 AM
Quote from: DNall on April 15, 2007, 11:11:09 PM

Unfortunately, I wasn't at that session, but from what I was told by my current and former squadron commanders who did attend, it was just short of an all out riot in the room. Wing Banker isn't particularly well received in Texas Wing.

Maj. C. - Lt Col Billman's a former cadink - Spaatzen and Frank Borman Falcon Award recipient - definitely look to him as well for cadet programs advice.

While it is best not to highlight occasions of disagreement, I will say that it was a bit like some of the heated topics we discuss here.  I would say that it was like a "stage play" of a Civil Air Portal or CAPTALK thread.

My position is "if it is mandatory, let's make the transition as painless as possible."  In fact, I would like for the Wing to send out a "Transistion Package" that contains a rubric that would allow it to be done in one night at a meeting. 

The debate at that level would have proved fruitless anyway.  It did, however, give folks from above some issues to resolve.

I was really nice talking and meeting with Lt Col Billman.  I am even moreso fully convinced that Group V will excel under such leadership.  A credit to the USAF and CAP.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Well right, I understand we got no choice & debating it at Wg Conf on the second round of phase in briefs is too late for anyone to care if we like it or not. What I meant is we didn't have anyone there, so what do we have to do & how fast do we have to do it?

Major Carrales

Quote from: DNall on April 16, 2007, 04:40:08 AM
Well right, I understand we got no choice & debating it at Wg Conf on the second round of phase in briefs is too late for anyone to care if we like it or not. What I meant is we didn't have anyone there, so what do we have to do & how fast do we have to do it?

Dealine is 31 October 2007 (having it done by September is likely the best course of action)

There is material at national ( a manual) that outlines most of it, but Wing still needs to outline a policy for transition.

Basically it's like this... 1) write a check for the amount in your bank account and send it to Wing, 2) Close the Account, 3) Wing is now your bank as  it participates with a Major Bank chain for deposits 4) submit to the wing bank for fainacial needs. 

Interest is accounted for, Unit Finance officers no longer have to send in a report, but do maintain one for local accounting purposes (to know how much money is availbale since WING will not over overdrawing and to compare to regular mailed statements)

Units still control how the money is spent, Wing only serves as the accounting entity and all money is "consolidated."   

Others can add or correct this...

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Fine whatever, stupid as hell & completely unneccessary if they'd look at any number of other non-profits, but whatever. I somehow envision a restock order for the supply box & then some petty cash to make change for said box, and not much left to send in. That's going to dry up a lot of local funding for most units, and whole lot of the motivation to go get that funding. Absolutely stupid & going to lose us money in the long run, especially at the local level. How much more can it possibly cost to administer this thing.

Major Carrales

QuoteFine whatever, stupid as hell & completely unneccessary if they'd look at any number of other non-profits, but whatever.

Dennis, you should know better than to compare us anyother organization.  The idea is that some 6 million dollars in CAP funds went unaudited.  It became necessary for these funds to be easily audited. 

QuoteI somehow envision a restock order for the supply box & then some petty cash to make change for said box, and not much left to send in.

It is the same thing as using your bank, except your finance officer no longer makes the transactions.  There will be two Nationally paid employees for the Texas Wing who's jobs (paid jobs) are to adminster such reporting.   Petty cash is illegal in CAP as of now.  Likely the fact that finance reports were always late contributed to this.

QuoteThat's going to dry up a lot of local funding for most units, and whole lot of the motivation to go get that funding.

How so, the unit's money is still the unit's money.  Wing is only the "administrator."  Local funding will be deposited in the local "branch" bank to the account.  It is still "squadron funds."  If there is not Branch bank, the Wing will make arragnement, and that is according to what was said.

Hangar fees, facility rean and the like is motivation to go get funding.  The only people who will have any "issue" with local funds drying up are those that make the WING BANKER solution sound like a "general fund."  It is not.

QuoteAbsolutely stupid & going to lose us money in the long run, especially at the local level. How much more can it possibly cost to administer this thing.

Two employees...

Interest goes to the unit, one can have their account "catergorized in any manner they like...

It has potential...but, I think it still as some issues to iron out.  Plus, it is a Nationally mandated policy. 

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DNall

I understand what the program is about. I've worked in non-profit mgmt on the national board of another organization. What they are doing is entirely unneccessary & not at all the industry standard.

There are a couple other routes they could have gone. First is local chapter produeced funds are not corporate property. They only become corp property whena tax reciept is issued or something is bought that goes on the S-3. As soon as one of those thigns occurs it is the property of the corp & may be pulled up from your unit & reassigned (gear or money) as they see fit. Most organizations do it this way & that is the way the law is written. A second option is to seperate the audit. You could establish a seperate CAP Foundation with the purpose of funding XYZ. That foundation doesn't share the liability of CAP so the funds can never go to a lawsuit, and they are not affiliated with any of the local units or the federal govt. They can have a clean audit, and apply to varrious folks for grants to be used in support of their stated mission to support CAP. This also is a very standard practice.

A combination of those two methods would have been MUCH easier & more effective to accomplish what they want. Instead they are going to increase the cost of managing these accounts (shifting the load to paid administrators from volunteer CPAs & book keepers), and remove local control of locally produced funds. Such systems have been abused in the past by Wings (Sqs shut down to take thier money) & create incentive to break the rules (at all levels). It's just all around bad for no gain.

We'll comply because it has been ordered, but I won't be seeking or providing the kind of financial support I was previously willing to when I don't have direct control over those funds.

DNall

Just a personal update... figured this was as good a place as any:

Got my orders FINALLY! Be at drill 19/20, pack on 21 & spend the night in a hotel on the way to Benning the 22nd of May. So three weeks out, and gotta love all that notice the Army gives ya.

I get to be an officer now, and fly apaches (1-149 out of ellington), with extra duty supporting an SF company. Plus I get the masters paid for. So all is quite good. I'll be gone till mid-Aug, then back here till the commission comes thru, then BOLC II, followed by BOLC III/OBC (flight school) - which will probably be next summer.

If for some reason I don't get picked up for a flight slot then an 11A tour awaits, followed by some special duty, and 18A pre-selection, SFAS & the Q. One way or another I get a shot at some pretty cool jobs.

Chaplaindon

Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

Al Sayre

Congratulations and good luck!
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

DNall

Preciate it, but I'm not going far. Just away for the summer & then back home. Then a few weeks in the winter & then a year sometime a year from now. Then maybe at the end of that I can go shoot things, if that's still in vouge at the time (here's hoping). Just thought I'd mention why I haven't been around much lately & where I'll be when I disappear here soon. Thanks though, I'll try real hard not to mess it up.

Major Carrales

Dennis,

Capital news!!!  Kudos all the way around!!!

Take care of yourself and I hope you have the best time at it!!!

Good luck and best wishes,

-Sparky

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Chaplaindon

Here's a chaplain's prayer that "shoot[ing] things" will be permanently out of "vogue" and unnecessary globally before long.

A just and lasting peace would be a blessing for all.
Rev. Don Brown, Ch., Lt Col, CAP (Ret.)
Former Deputy Director for CISM at CAP/HQ
Gill Robb Wilson Award # 1660
ACS-Chaplain, VFC, IPFC, DSO, NSO, USCG Auxiliary
AUXOP

Psicorp

Congrats, DNall!

As cool a Apache's are, they're still helos and helos by definition, don't fly...they just beat the air into submission.

Good luck, and be safe!
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

alexalvarez

Congratulations DNall.  May God bless you and protect you. Amen.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014