F-22 Raptor Crash near Elmendorf

Started by ♠SARKID♠, November 18, 2010, 07:56:24 AM

♠SARKID♠

One of the F-22s went down during a training op.  Wreckage located, pilot is still missing.

http://www.jber.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123231357

BradM

May the pilot be found alive and well! Please God.
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

DC

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if CAP has been involved in the search?

I read an article that said they had a C-130 and several helicopters looking for a 'chute or any sign of the pilot. I bet AKWG could pitch in too...

Titan 25

That really is too bad. I hope the pilot gets found. I really worried about the plane, too! The F-22 is freaking awesome!
C/2d Lt Daniel K. Driskill
Flt. Commander
PHANTOM SQUADRONUTAH WING
MEMBER OF THE 2010 NATIONAL CHAMPION ROCKY MOUNTAIN REGION DRILL TEAM!!

Sgt.Pain

Quote from: DC on November 19, 2010, 03:19:00 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone know if CAP has been involved in the search?

Wow! May god be with him...

I was thinking the same thing DC.
C/CMSgt. Pain!

Here Ye, Hear Ye, On this great day I make a declaration! A declaration to LIVE FOREVER, or die trying.

DakRadz

Hopefully the fact that the wreckage was found without an occupant is a good thing.

Best of wishes to the pilot- may he be found safely.

caphornbuckle

"'Conclusive Evidence' that F-22 Pilot Did Not Survive the Crash"

QuoteWashington (CNN) -- Search-and-rescue teams have found "conclusive evidence" that the pilot of an F-22 aircraft that crashed Tuesday night while on a routine training mission in Alaska did not survive, the military said Friday.

Air Force Capt. Jeffrey Haney, who was assigned to the 525th Fighter Squadron, 3rd Wing, has been missing since the crash, though crews have found the wreckage of the plane.

"Based on evidence recovered from the crash site, and after two days of extensive aerial and ground search efforts, we know that Captain Haney did not eject from the aircraft prior to impact," said Air Force Col. Jack McMullen, 3rd Wing commander, in a written statement late Friday.

A recovery team found part of the ejection seat and several life support items that Haney wore during the flight.

"Sadly, we can no longer consider this a search-and-rescue operation, but must now focus on recovery operations," McMullen said.

The wreckage was discovered Wednesday, a day after the aircraft lost contact with air traffic control, according to officials from Joint Base Elmendorf-Richardson at Anchorage, Alaska.

The plane was found near a creek bed between two mountains, about 100 miles north of Anchorage, near Denali National Park.

The Clarklake, Michigan, native was commissioned in the Air Force in August 2003 and had been stationed at the base in Alaska since June 2006.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/11/19/alaska.plane.crash/index.html

Lt Col Samuel L. Hornbuckle, CAP

tmurphy

Rest in peace, brother. Shame he is also a Michigan native as well...
TIFFANY J. MURPHY, 2d Lt, CAP
Health Services Officer
Livonia Thunderbolt Composite Squadron
GLR-MI-183

peter rabbit

a new, related article: 
F-22 Crash Pilot's Widow Sues Raptor Builders

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/2151-full.html#206326

Quoteportion: It also stated that the F-22's oxygen system, which shut down, did not malfunction. The system, according to the report, was acting as designed and shut down in response to a bleed-air problem.

The way I read that, it stopped providing needed O2 because of design?

ThatOneGuy

Quote from: peter rabbit on March 15, 2012, 10:53:13 AM
a new, related article: 
F-22 Crash Pilot's Widow Sues Raptor Builders

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/2151-full.html#206326

Quoteportion: It also stated that the F-22's oxygen system, which shut down, did not malfunction. The system, according to the report, was acting as designed and shut down in response to a bleed-air problem.

The way I read that, it stopped providing needed O2 because of design?

That's the way I read it. I've talked to some pilots who have flown the aircraft, and they all say that the O2 system isn't working properly because of some other system on the plane that prevents it from working at some times. Not really sure the specifics of the issue, but I remember they grounded the F-22 for a little bit because of that.