Main Menu

24 hour gear

Started by dholt, October 14, 2010, 06:01:16 PM

dholt

how much 24hr gear

Spaceman3750

I'm going to take a stab that you meant "How much 24 hour gear should I carry?".

If that's the case, the answer is to start with the required list (found in the Ground Team Task Guide, Google it) and work your way from there. Whatever the case, be prepared to carry your gear for several hours at a time, so bringing the kitchen sink with you in your 24 gear is ill-advised.

Also, talk to your squadron emergency services officer for better information tailored to your specific area.

manfredvonrichthofen

Like he said, bring the required items, plus a bit more tape and 550 cord (para cord). Also I would suggest some "pogie bait" consisting of small portions of snack foods like jerky, and trail mix, things of that sort. NO CANDY except for maybe a bag of skittles or some jolly ranchers. That stuff will keep you going like crazy, just don't bring too much. Pogy bait can get heavy. For your first couple of SAREXs I wouldn't suggest bringing a lot of extra stuff in your gear. Keep it as light as possible while still maintaining your required list. After you get used to that weight start adding the things that you want extra, plus as time goes on you will learn what you need and don't need. But always have the required items. Remember, you can add to, you just can't take away.

jimmydeanno

You know, IME, I try not to express my opinions on how much a pack should weigh, how much of stuff someone should bring, etc.  SAREXs are perfect opportunities for them to observe seasoned veterans, see how they pack out, and realize that their 60lb pack just isn't going to cut it.  I think it is a good lesson to learn the hard way.

I will make equipment recommendations though, because it's not nice to let someone buy the wrong thing.  It's sometimes a rather expensive lesson to learn...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Top Dawg

If what you're asking is "How much 24 hr gear should I bring with me?" really all you need is common sense. Let's say you have a buzz-cut, do you need a comb? Probably not. If it's July and you live in Georgia, you probably don't need a jacket. Also there are some things that aren't on the list that are good to carry with you. For example, I always carry a good Leatherman's tool. It's like a Swiss Army Knife on steroids, and it's come in usefull more times than I can remember. Redudancy is always good. Sure extra items add a little extra weight, but are you really going to notice an extra lighter? I recently attended the Alabama Wing Emergency Services School. I decided since it was October I may not need a full sleeping bag. I brought a sleeping roll and a small blanket (much lighter) and was greatly rewarded.

Just think in terms of "Am I really going to need this?" "Can I really carry all this?" Here's a link for a suggested 24 hr gear list. http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:m9LR9EqiK2IJ:ct022.ctwg.cap.gov/files/ES_pack_list.doc+CAP+24+hr+gear&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=opera
C/Capt Hillman
Cadet Commander,  GA-153

Hawk200

Quote from: Karatian on October 16, 2010, 03:04:53 PMI decided since it was October I may not need a full sleeping bag.
Sleeping bag isn't part of the 24 hour list.

Quote from: Karatian on October 16, 2010, 03:04:53 PMHere's a link for a suggested 24 hr gear list.
Unless something on the list says "optional", the contents are not a suggestion. If you're a trainee, you need to carry what the list states.

Once you get signed off, you can probably get away with carrying what you want. Since the OP is asking what to put in 24 hour gear, they're most likely a trainee.

IceNine

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

HGjunkie

••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Just for hilarity- his unit has a C/2nd Lt Mishmash.

HGjunkie

Quote from: DakRadz on October 16, 2010, 10:33:50 PM
Just for hilarity- his unit has a C/2nd Lt Mishmash.
Are you serious.   
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

DakRadz

Deadly.

I think it's great.