Main Menu

UDF Gear Pack

Started by Spaceman3750, August 17, 2010, 07:02:14 AM

Spaceman3750

I've done some searching and can't find anything I find suitable for the task. I like that vest that Eclipse holds near and dear but want something that will take a water bladder... Here is my wish list:

1) At least 2L capacity
2) Good brand bladder (or replaceable with one)
3) Able to fit standard UDF equipment
4) High-visibility preferable but not required
5) Small. The problem I've been running up against is either too small (just designed for the bladder and a granola bar) or too big (designed for GTM gear, which I already have in a Responder 24 pack)

Any suggestions?

EDIT: Anyone have experience with these? http://thevestguy.com/category.asp?id=178 (pretty much any of them) My only concern is that if you equipped them with water (an option) you would get really heavy on the back and it would become uncomfortable. Also, it's not free :angel:.

CommGeek

Just get a normal backpack, and keep it in your vehicle.  Other than a notepad and your radio, what are you going to need that you cant walk back to you vehicle for?

If I was a homeowner and saw some guys in cammo, with all kinds of gear on them I would freak out....

Spaceman3750

I would like my (what little there is) equipment and water to come with me if I have to walk away from my car onto a flight line or something like that. But I have considered what you mentioned too, and it's not a bad idea.

Thunder

Don't mean to hijack the post, but what are alcohol pens and where do you get them cheap? Its my only mising item for UDF pack

jimmydeanno

Quote from: Thunder on August 17, 2010, 06:23:03 PM
Don't mean to hijack the post, but what are alcohol pens and where do you get them cheap? Its my only mising item for UDF pack

An alcohol pen is a dry-erase marker.  You can get them anywhere.  It's better to get the fine point ones.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Thunder

wow ok. cool.

Why not have it say dry erase... its not like Kleenex or Bandaid or Chapstick.. UDF should be uncommon definition finding...

JC004

I agree with the regular backpack suggestion. 

Alcohol pens are somewhat different than regular dry erase markers.  I have these.  See here:  http://www.rangerjoes.com/alcohol-markers-pack-p-322.html

Here is our old equipment list.  It should be updated, but it will give you an idea:

Urban Direction Finding Team Individual Equipment Checklist

Items marked with a "T" are required of UDFT member Trainees.  All other items are required of fully qualified Urban Direction Finding Team members unless specifically marked as optional (denoted with an "O").

Nationally-Required Items
* Battle Dress Uniform or CAP Field Dress Uniform (In accordance with CAPM 39-1) (T)         Outerwear as appropriate for season (T)   
All applicable cards and identification (CAP ID, CAPF 101, First Aid, etc.) (T)   
Notepad, pencil (mechanical highly recommended), and black pen (T)    
Watch (IAW CAPM 39-1) (T)   
Vest, reflective orange (T)   
Ground Team & Urban Direction Finding Team Tasks booklet (T)   
Comb or small brush (optional, carry if needed) (T)   
** Calling card, cellular phone, or change for phone calls (T)   
Snacks and sufficient personal funds to purchase food on the mission if necessary (T)   
*** Sunglasses (Consider UV protection in selecting sunglasses – IAW CAPM 39-1) (O)   
Compass, lensatic or orienteering (orienteering preferred). Should have a "glow in the dark" dial.   
Flashlight with spare bulb and batteries   
Tissues   
Protractor (Consider durability – flexible plastic recommended)   
Map Case   
Mechanical pencil with eraser   
Alcohol Pens, fine tip, at least 2 colors   
Some way to erase alcohol pens marks on the map case, such as alcohol swabs or an alcohol pen eraser   
Straightedge ruler, at least 6" long (Some protractors may have a ruler)   

Locally-Required Items
Females: Appropriate hair accessories (Pins, ties, bands – IAW CAPM 39-1)   
Bag (Should fit all kit items.  Black bag recommended. Consider water resistance.)   
Bottled water
Bottled sport drink such as Gatorade (highly recommended) (O)   
Maps, misc.   
ICS Form 211   
ICS Form 214   
Business Cards   
Fact sheets (AFRCC, CAP)   
Complete CAPF 60   

Recommended Optional Items
NiteWriter pens   
DC to AC power inverter   
Tire pressure gauge   
Handheld VHF transceiver   
Scanner   
Clip board   
Aluminum foil   
Deactivation labels   
"Official Business" signs for vehicle

Here is some random information from my UDFT individual equipment class that I used to teach:

•   Be able to get dressed, grab equipment, and leave
•   Consider storing your equipment in a large plastic storage container.  This will keep all of your gear in one place and protect it between missions and exercises.

General principles
•   Keep almost everything in resealable plastic bags.  Doing this:
•   Keeps things dry
•   Keeps things organized
•   Allows the kit to be broken down into modules as needed
•   Commercial substitutes are OK – not everything has to be military.  For instance, civilian camping compasses are generally better for our work than military compasses.
•   Label everything with your name
•   Use printed labels for items that can't be readily written on such as flashlights
•   A name tape is a good way to label your pack.  Since blue and white name tapes are uniform items, you should use a different color such as white on black.  You should not attach CAP uniform items such as patches and insignia to your bag.  Keep it simple and professional – a name tape is sufficient.  You might also consider adding a patch that says "Search & Rescue" - this would be acceptable, and these are available from vendors such as Search Gear (www.searchgear.com).
•   Professionalism is vital.  Urban Direction Finding Teams are constantly in the public eye.  Their perception of you from your appearance and actions will impact how they treat you and the extent to which they provide us with assistance.
•   A bag large enough for your entire kit is very important.  Again, this does not need to be a military-style bag.  When selecting a bag, consider the size (is it large enough, but not so large that it will be in the way on missions), color (black is best), durability, water resistance, and price.  An adequate bag does not have to be expensive.  You can find good bags at stores such as Value City for about $10.
•   Luggage bag
•   School bag
•   Missions will be called at the most inconvenient times.
•   Have sufficient equipment to support a very small team.  Do not rely on one or two members to carry all of the important gear (such as maps, forms, etc.)
•   When assembling your kit, ask around for used gear.  Some members may have extra or old equipment that they would be willing to give away, trade, or sell.

National UDFT Individual Equipment requirements

•   1) Complete uniform appropriate to the environment in which you will be working. (T)
•   Always keep your uniform mission-ready.  It should be hung up, preferably in a garment bag. Your belt, t-shirt, hat, and boots should also be readily accessible.  It is best to hang your belt and hat on your uniform hanger(s).  This will reduce the possibility of having to look for these items before you leave for a mission.

•   2) Notepad and pencil (T)
•   Carry several notebooks
•   Rite-in-the-Rain notebooks (http://www.riteintherain.com/)
•   Notepad
•   Incident Command Log
•   Composition book
•   Small notepad (Mead "Fat Lil' Notebook")

•   3) All CAP Identification, including 101 card, ROA card, First Aid card, CAP drivers license, etc. (T)
•   These items should be carried on your person
•   In addition to the originals, you should have copies of these cards in your mission kit.  Keep these copies in an envelope.  Make sure that they include your CAP ID card, ROA card (if applicable), 101 card, First Aid cards, CAP drivers license (if applicable), and at least one form of personal identification, such as a state ID, military ID, and/or passport.  You should also include a completed copy of your CAP Form 60 (Emergency Notification Data).
•   In the instance that you cannot find the originals before a mission, copies will allow you to have a backup
•   4) Watch (T)
•   5) Handkerchief or Tissues
•   Travel package of tissues highly recommended
•   6) Vest, reflective, orange (T)
•   Reflective straps are important for night operations
•   7) Comb or brush (optional, carry if needed) (T)
•   8) Ground and UDF Team Task Guide (T)
•   9) Flashlight (with red or blue lens), with spare bulb and batteries
•   Flashlight with red lens, extra batteries and an extra bulb: We recommend using a mini-mag flashlight or equivalent with the red lens attachment. These tend to be more durable than the standard military angle-head flashlight, but both work. Whatever flashlight you use, we recommend that you use Krypton bulbs in your flashlight since they tend to be much brighter than the bulbs that come with the flashlight from the factory. Finally, remember that the red lens is not an option, but a requirement. Humans are not like other animals that have permanent night vision. When exposed to white light, the typical person loses their night vision for about 30 minutes. Using a red lens allows you to keep your vision, and even if coming from white light it assists your eyes to recovery from your night blindness.
•   In addition to using a flashlight, many people find that using headlamps is superior to using flashlights. Headlamps leave both hands free, and are always pointing in the right direction.
•   10) Change for phone calls, calling card, or cellular phone (T) to call mission base
•   If you are carrying a cell phone, you should also carry change and/or a calling card.  Cell phone service may be unavailable in some areas, or your battery may die.  Backup communications is very important.
•   11) Compass, lensatic or orienteering
•   Orienteering preferred
•   Compass should have a "glow in the dark" dial.
•   Periodically check your compass to make sure it is accurate.
•   12) Protractor
•   Flexible plastic is a highly recommended substitute for hard-plastic protractors
•   13) Map Case (Large Zip-Loc bags can be used if necessary)
•   A map case protects your maps while they are being used and allows you to mark them with alcohol pens without damaging the map itself.  Large resealable plastic bags (1 gallon or 2.5 gallons capacity) are a less expensive alternative.
•   14) Pencil, with eraser (plus sharpener if not a mechanical pencil)
•   Mechanical pencils are best, since the point is retractable and are less likely to be broken in your mission kit
•   15) Alcohol Pens, fine tip, at least 2 colors (neither the color of your colored flashlight lens)
•   16) Some way to erase alcohol pens marks on the map case, such as alcohol swabs or a special alcohol pen eraser.
•   You should also pack some cotton balls, gauze, or pieces of paper towels to wipe marks off of your map case.
•   17) A straightedge ruler, at least 6" long (Some protractors may have a ruler as well)
•   NJ DOT ruler
•   Short/Flexible
•   18) One Meal or personal funds to purchase a meal while prosecuting the mission (T)
•   It is best to carry some snacks, as well as a small amount of money (about $10) in your kit.  Your money should be put in an envelope for security.
•   Additional equipment
•   Hand-held VHF transceiver (Make sure it is charged) (Before purchasing a radio for CAP use, check the CAP communications web site to see if it is compliant with standards.  If the radio you are considering is not listed, e-mail the contact on the web site and ask if the radio is compliant.)
•   Scanner (You should program the frequencies for area airports, Civil Air Patrol, general aviation frequencies, and the ELT frequencies of 121.500, 243.000, and 406.000)
•   Maps and airport directories
•   Laminated maps
•   You can get free maps from government travel centers
•   The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation Bureau of Aviation provides free aeronautical charts and airport directories upon request. 
•   Bottled water
•   Bottled sport drink such as Gatorade
•   Clipboard
•   PAWG Ranger clipboard
•   Clipboard with storage
•   Females: appropriate hair accessories in accordance with CAPM 39-1 (pins, ties, etc.)
•   Sunglasses (especially recommended for drivers) – MUST be IAW CAPM 39-1
•   Basic first aid supplies
•   Pain relievers
•   Antacids
•   Antihistamines if you have allergies
•   Personal medication
•   Clear plastic poncho
•   Commercial ponchos available from stores such as Wal-Mart are acceptable for Urban Direction Finding.  A heavy military poncho is not necessary, since it is unlikely that you will be traveling through wooded areas.  A clear poncho is best because it allows the public to see your uniform.
•   ICS Form 211
•   ICS Form 214
•   Aluminum foil
•   Deactivation labels
•   Business cards
•   Fact Sheets
•   AFRCC
•   CAP
•   Tips and Suggestions
•   Use plastic bags
•   Label everything with your name using a permanent marker
•   Get a State-Issued identification card if you are old enough to get one (16 or older).  Many places such as airports will ask for government-issued identification (such as a state ID, drivers license, military ID, or passport) in addition to CAP identification.
•   Put "Cats Eyes" on your bag and flashlight
•   Conducting an individual refit (Task O-0002)
1. The minute a sortie or mission is completed, a team member should prepare for the next sortie or mission. This means taking care of your equipment and yourself. There is a great temptation after a hard day in the field to not worry about your equipment for a while. But on a mission, you must be prepared to leave on another sortie at a moment's notice. Even when the mission is complete, you may be alerted for another mission within hours -- it happens!
2. As soon as you complete a sortie or mission, perform the following steps, known as the "4 R's":
a. REPLENISH

1) After a sortie, ensure you still have all required equipment. If something is missing, see if a
team mate has a spare. If not, inform your team leader. He or she might be able to arrange for you to purchase the item before the next sortie. Also replenish anything you used, especially food and water.

Don't be caught without a meal in your field gear and full canteens. Also check things like flashlight batteries, medical supplies, matches, etc. These items can expire, be used up, or (for medical supplies) be damaged and no longer sterile.

2) After a mission, purchase any replacements you need.
b. REPAIR
1) After a sortie, this means inspecting all your equipment to see what is broken, and making
what field repairs you can. This includes repairing rips in clothing, patching holes in ponchos or tents with duct tape, etc. Make the repair now, before you need to use that item. Remove mud from boots, and polish them to maintain water resistance.

2) After a mission, this also means cleaning uniforms and other items. Dirty clothing and
sleeping bags do not insulate well. Wet tents can mildew -- set them up and dry them out. Air out your sleeping bag.
c. REPACK -- after the above steps, repack your gear so you can move out at a moment's notice.
Don't be caught with your equipment spread throughout the house (or your tent at mission base) when the call to move occurs.
d. REST - AFTER you have prepared your gear for the next mission or sortie, get a well-deserved rest.
3. Your team leader may also make you responsible for team equipment. Make sure that equipment gets
REPLENISHED, REPAIRED, and REPACKED as well before you REST.
•   Recommendations and sources
•   www.rangerjoes.com
•   www.thehock.com
•   www.cheaperthandirt.com
•   www.sportsmansguide.com
•   Tips for acquiring specialized equipment
•   Members can save on shipping costs by placing bulk orders for numerous team members at one time
•   After each mission, review what happened on the mission.  Decide what you can do better on the next mission, or before the next mission to be prepared.  An example would be: it rained on the mission and your log book was destroyed.  A proper preparatory step would be to buy a "Rite-In-The-Rain" notebook and pack your paper items in plastic bags.
Try eBay for radios and scanners.  Remember to check on a radio's compliance before purchasing.  Do not assume that it is compliant simply because it is capable of transmitting on CAP frequencies. 

Thunder

Quote from: JC004 on August 18, 2010, 08:24:33 AM
•   Scanner (You should program the frequencies for area airports, Civil Air Patrol, general aviation frequencies, and the ELT frequencies of 121.500, 243.000, and 406.000)

Lets not go there :)

JC004

This is several years old.  Not that the frequencies aren't online anyway.  I even found the PLs for various repeaters quite easily and I know they were correct.

maverik

If you're going with ICS forms you might want 213s you know for radio message logging and such.
KC9SFU
Fresh from the Mint C/LT
"Hard pressed on my right. My center is yielding. Impossible to maneuver. Situation excellent. I am attacking." Ferdinand Foch at the Battle of the Marne

ol'fido

Quote from: Thunder on August 18, 2010, 09:26:27 PM
Quote from: JC004 on August 18, 2010, 08:24:33 AM

Lets not go there :)
Besides why would you not tell anyone the distress freqs? ??? ;)
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

IceNine

Hydration packs on UDF gear are a hindrance in my opinion.  I personally am in and out of the vehicle WAY to much to make a hydro pack useful or comfortable.  I have 2 cases of water bottles, a cooler and a freezer in my garage.  I can hold about 24 bottles of water in the cooler which is more than enough a UDF work from the climate control of my car.

I use the SAR/MED Vest too and will never look back for other than actual ground team work.  Plus, when I actually need it it's very easy and comfortable to wear under the sar/med.
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

a2capt

Since I have a raising rear door, I just put the shelf up halfway with the back seats upright and I can put a case of water, tools, etc- down below, and the maps, paperwork, computer/etc on the top shelf along with whatever else.

Other than an HT and DF gear, I just leave it all there and work near/around it. There's usually one of us near the vehicle.