Tips for a new NCO

Started by vorter, August 17, 2010, 03:13:46 AM

vorter

Just got promoted to C/SSgt  ;D

Since I will be in a more powerful and challenging position, I could use some tips from those who have already been NCO's.
Such as advanced techniques on how to drill/teach cadets and such.

Also, out squadron is avg 20-50 people per meeting, with about 1/2 atleast an NCO, if that helps.
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

Daniel

Rule one: Don't panic... Airmen smell fear.

Relax and enjoy the ride.
C/Capt Daniel L, CAP
Wright Brothers No. 12670
Mitchell No. 59781
Earhart No. 15416

Майор Хаткевич

Adult version usually comes with an acronym: RTFM.

The cadet version is: read/learn/know where to look up information regarding cadet programs. That means knowing CAPR 52-16, and trying to stay on top of CAPM 39-1. There's plenty more, but I'll leave it up to you to find the index on the CAP website and look up all cadet related manuals/pamphlets/regulations.

C/NCO from December 2003 to March 2006 (2 Years, 4 Months)

CAPC/officer125

Talk to the NCOs and officers in your squadron. They know the cadets (and you) in the squadron better than we do. They can help you better than we can.

Read the the Drill manual a couple times as well as the uniform manual. This will help you know what you are talking about. That is the biggest problem I find with new NCOs, lack of knowledge and/or knowing how to teach. As far as teaching this stuff, use the performance-demonstration method, it is really the only tried-and-true method of teaching. It really works.

C/Maj Temaat
NCO for roughly a year and a half (chief for 10 months)
C/LtCol Priscilla (Pat) Temaat
Eaker #2228
Earhart #14523
KS-001- KSWG HQ staff
2012 Joint Dakota Cadet Leadership Encampment Cadet Commander

vorter

Yes, actually Im simply using captalk as a extra resource, using my fellow NCO's mainly.
Also, im a manual junkie. If it says to say something in the drill manual one word different, i'll stick to that.
Thanks for the help and feel free to add more.
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

HGjunkie

Get tips from people in your chain of command, read manuals, and have fun. It's challenging, and you will have more responsibilty put on you. ;)

It'll be easier after a while. Good luck!

Side note- your sig has C/SrA still.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

vorter

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 17, 2010, 04:02:21 AM
Get tips from people in your chain of command, read manuals, and have fun. It's challenging, and you will have more responsibilty put on you. ;)

It'll be easier after a while. Good luck!

Side note- your sig has C/SrA still.

Thanks, fixed
C/2nd Lt Hyeung

jimmydeanno

Try reading the Cadet Staff Handbook: http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/P052_015_21F7ACED34F45.pdf

Also, become familiar with the resources found on this page: http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/

Have fun!
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

DBlair

Congratulations on the promotion, C/SSgt Hyeung!

I applaud that you are reaching out for suggestions and wanting to be the best NCO possible. Here are a few suggestions that I feel will help you considerably...

NCO School Textbook:
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/NCO_School_Textbook_B818E5FDE9E3F.doc

Cadet Staff Handbook:
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/P052_015_21F7ACED34F45.pdf

Drill & Ceremonies:
http://www.capmembers.com/cadet_programs/library/drill__ceremonies.cfm

These should provide you with some good information. It should go without saying that you should know the 39-1 (with additions) front to back and be able to help other Cadets with their uniform issues.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

PhoenixRisen

I don't have much else to add, except to echo that you really, really need to know your stuff.  You're now going to be one of the first people your airmen look to for just about everything, so if you're not up to speed, you could lose respect, or be contributing to the "well, he doesn't know it / do it, so why should we have to?"-mindset.

Also, don't be afraid to seek information and / or assistance from your superiors.  While you shouldn't rely on them for each and every little thing, I'd rather have a motivated staff cadet who can actually admit that they need a bit of assistance now and then, and go about seeking it, rather than one who keeps their uncertainties bottled up, eventually leading to failure.

(NCO for 3 years, 11 months*)

*Couldn't promote as fast as I wanted because of some medical stuff.

C/Martin

Be and strong leader and support the cadets under you. And remember, they do not exaclty work for you, you work for them. It is a leader's job to look out and take care of his/her subordinate's needs. And by being a strong leader does not mean you have to be a, I guess you can say, uptight about things. Like do not freak out and chew someone out over small stuff.
Regards,
C/CMSgt
Todd Martin
Executive Officer/Chief
VA-023

MSG Mac

Don't be afraid of asking questions.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

GTCommando

First of all, congrats on the promotion.  :clap: :clap: :clap: I remember when I got my Wright Brothers. It was one of the greatest feelings I've had to date.

Let's hope I don't get to rambling here.

1.  Get to know your people. You can't lead a team of people unless you know what their goals/needs are and what motivates them.

2.  Get to know your chain of command. It will help you a lot if establish good working relationships early on.

3.  Get to know your regs, etc. The main duty of a Cadet NCO is to instruct and teach. Get all of the teaching experience you can.

4.  As said before, don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how trivial. If you keep asking questions, you'll keep getting answers.

5.  Most of all, have fun, and enjoy the ride. It'll be hard at first, but it'll get easier.

Hope I've helped some. I'll try to get some additional publications up on this link later on. If you ever need any advice on specific issues, be it Cadet-related, ES, etc., feel free to PM. I'll be happy to help.
C/Maj, CAP                 
Alpha Flight Commander                     
Pathfinder Composite squadron
Earhart #15889

"For the partisan, when he is engaged in a dispute, cares nothing about the rights of the question, but is anxious only to convince his hearers." -- Socrates