Willing to work: Web Apps Needed

Started by ryan.turner, July 31, 2010, 05:34:16 PM

ryan.turner

Good morning!

I'm a new senior member, and I'm looking to help wherever is needed. I'm a college freshman in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science and have been doing web development for about 7 years.

I'm still trying to get settled and understand exactly how CAP is organized and what is where, so I don't really have any ideas as for where voids are, but I'm certain you all can help me there. Does CAP have a centralized application similar to D4H? What about asset management and tracking? Where do you think development time would be best spent on a web application? I've been learning Google Gears' API, so that is something that I could implement into the application as well (off-line capability).

I'm open to all ideas except for your individual squadron's website :P

Eclipse

Yes, CAP has a centralized system for personnel tracking, asset management, mission management, and similar.
We do not have a centralized mission status system, but there are a few systems in place that are trying to be that.
It is a gap, but one not likely filled from the ground level without national approval and cooperation.

As a new member your best bet would be to discuss this locally with your squadron CC.  Most likely the gaps at your
unit are in collaboration, electronic forms, and the local web presence.

None of which should require much development time, but all of which require competent management and planning.

"That Others May Zoom"

ryan.turner

Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2010, 05:51:02 PM
Yes, CAP has a centralized system for personnel tracking, asset management, mission management, and similar.
We do not have a centralized mission status system, but there are a few systems in place that are trying to be that.
It is a gap, but one not likely filled from the ground level without national approval and cooperation.

As a new member your best bet would be to discuss this locally with your squadron CC.  Most likely the gaps at your
unit are in collaboration, electronic forms, and the local web presence.

None of which should require much development time, but all of which require competent management and planning.
Gotcha. I've already started with local stuff, but figured that I could get more work in on something else. I'm not specifically looking to create an official, endorsed tool, but rather supply something to fit a need. I'd rather not get caught up in that much oversight right now.

arajca

The problem with developing a tool to "fit a need" is that it will a local need. Even SIMS*, which is arguably the most widely used and appreciated "outside" app was developed to meet a local need. Several years after its development and service, and after many dicsussions with National, it is still a local (unit level) program used by a great many units in CAP, with no interface with National.

Besides, the National Teams don't like outsiders (i.e. field level members or anyone not on the team) trying to disrupt their plans with necessary ideas and help. BTDT.

* SIMS (Squadron Information Management System) is an Access application used to keep track of members progress electronically. It has numerous features and reports that can make a CC or DCC's life easier. See Squadron Command for more details. Or search CAPTalk.

Pylon

Quote from: ryan.turner on July 31, 2010, 06:09:24 PM
I'm not specifically looking to create an official, endorsed tool, but rather supply something to fit a need. I'd rather not get caught up in that much oversight right now.

Hey, welcome to CAP and thanks for being so willing to share your skills.  Don't let the resident nay-sayers discourage you from contributing valuable skills to CAP.

You know, there are lots of handy apps and tools that could aid units and that don't have to go through official channels.  We all develop and share tools of various sorts all the time.   Also don't let Eclipse's post convince you that CAP's IT needs are all but completely fulfilled.  CAP's national IT infrastructures (if you can call it that) leaves gigantic gaping holes that the local units sometimes have to deal with and come up with their own patches, work-arounds, and solutions.

Just for one example: many units have a lot of donated BDU and Blues uniforms and other uniform parts (boots accessories, etc.) which they loan out or give to new members or cadets in need.  While National CAP and its supply tracking system aren't necessarily concerned with expendables like a re-donated used BDU top -- the local unit has a lot more interest in coming up with some way of tracking how many of the various uniform pieces we have and in what sizes.  Or how many of the various ribbons and chevrons we have on hand (and maybe even a way to get a quick alert when we're dangerously low on something).   I know one unit came up with a spreadsheet to do this, but there was no handy mechanism to "check out" items either.   When I loan a set of BDUs or a field pack to Cadet Snuffy, it would be cool if there was a smartphone app or computer program that made it really easy to keep track.   Heck, it would be even cooler if it tied in to the inventory so when I loaned out a Medium-Short BDU top, a small BDU hat, a pair of size 9 boots, and a set of Cadet Master Sergeant Chevrons to Cadet Snuffy, it also reduced my inventory count on those items and sizes.    That's just one example of gaps where a really well-working local tool could not only help your own unit, but could be shared with other units who would LOVE a well-functioning, easy-to-implement tool in that regard.   And wouldn't require National oversight to do either.

There are other examples, too -- but that one came to mind first.   Another example of a tool that was developed and fielded by a member was an iPhone app that is a "ribbon checker".  In other words, you click on which ribbons and medals you've earned, and the app assembles a graphic of your ribbon rack together in the correct order of precedence, so you can check "on the fly" if a particular ribbon arrangement is correct by the regs.

Another example from another cadet corps is a program that grabbed that local temperature and humidity from an online weather service, calculated the thermal injury protection rating/flag based on the Wet Globe Bulb Thermometer index, and automatically texted all the subscribed users when the rating changed.  This would be a handy tool for CAP.

Feel free to share your brainstorming with us here.  There are hundreds of regular posters here, many with years and decades of experience in units across the country and in every type of job assignment CAP has.   I'm sure you could garner lots of ideas and input.

And like I said, don't let the naysayers discourage ya.  ;)

Quote from: arajca on July 31, 2010, 06:35:03 PM
Besides, the National Teams don't like outsiders (i.e. field level members or anyone not on the team) trying to disrupt their plans with necessary ideas and help. BTDT.

Well Andrew, I'd say it's pretty unreasonable to get mad that members are trying to "fill the gaps" with their own tools, when the National tools are grossly insufficient.  If I come up with a computer program or spreadsheet or something to solve a local problem and it saves me and others time, NHQ has no ground to act indignant or mad unless they're willing to put out a better tool.

In fact, the tenets of good people management would suggest that NHQ's reaction should instead be "thank you" and "we appreciate your efforts and enthusiasm".
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

ryan.turner

Quote from: Pylon on July 31, 2010, 06:42:43 PM
Quote from: ryan.turner on July 31, 2010, 06:09:24 PM
I'm not specifically looking to create an official, endorsed tool, but rather supply something to fit a need. I'd rather not get caught up in that much oversight right now.

Hey, welcome to CAP and thanks for being so willing to share your skills.  Don't let the resident nay-sayers discourage you from contributing valuable skills to CAP.

You know, there are lots of handy apps and tools that could aid units and that don't have to go through official channels.  We all develop and share tools of various sorts all the time.   Also don't let Eclipse's post convince you that CAP's IT needs are all but completely fulfilled.  CAP's national IT infrastructures (if you can call it that) leaves gigantic gaping holes that the local units sometimes have to deal with and come up with their own patches, work-arounds, and solutions.

Just for one example: many units have a lot of donated BDU and Blues uniforms and other uniform parts (boots accessories, etc.) which they loan out or give to new members or cadets in need.  While National CAP and its supply tracking system aren't necessarily concerned with expendables like a re-donated used BDU top -- the local unit has a lot more interest in coming up with some way of tracking how many of the various uniform pieces we have and in what sizes.  Or how many of the various ribbons and chevrons we have on hand (and maybe even a way to get a quick alert when we're dangerously low on something).   I know one unit came up with a spreadsheet to do this, but there was no handy mechanism to "check out" items either.   When I loan a set of BDUs or a field pack to Cadet Snuffy, it would be cool if there was a smartphone app or computer program that made it really easy to keep track.   Heck, it would be even cooler if it tied in to the inventory so when I loaned out a Medium-Short BDU top, a small BDU hat, a pair of size 9 boots, and a set of Cadet Master Sergeant Chevrons to Cadet Snuffy, it also reduced my inventory count on those items and sizes.    That's just one example of gaps where a really well-working local tool could not only help your own unit, but could be shared with other units who would LOVE a well-functioning, easy-to-implement tool in that regard.   And wouldn't require National oversight to do either.

There are other examples, too -- but that one came to mind first.   Feel free to share your brainstorming with us here.  There are hundreds of regular posters here, many with years and decades of experience in units across the country and in every type of job assignment CAP has.   I'm sure you could garner lots of ideas and input.

And like I said, don't let the naysayers discourage ya.  ;)
Thanks, I didn't know there was a void there with local resources. I come from the fire service (just a volly) where that was a big issue so I had just sort of breezed past that without thinking. I'll add that to my to-do list for now, as I'm certain an inventory application would be helpful.

Most likely, I'll end up implementing these features to my squadron's site, using them as a pre-release, and then developing it out from there as it fits.

The main reason I'm motivated to do this is because of how all the eServices stuff appears to be in scattered; it looks like it works, and that lots of people have dedicated themselves to donating their time for the applications, but it appears to be lacking in most of the every-day operating tools. Most likely I have an incomplete view as I don't get to see all the features, understand the true operations, or the true usability of it all.

Pylon

Just keep in mind, there are certain inventory items that CAP has its own tracking system for and CAP units are required to track in very specific ways within those systems --  Typically things that are worth money (property, radios, furniture, etc.)  The logistics and comm people on the board can tell you a lot more about that.   

But for local "little" items like a unit with cadet rank insignia that loans out pairs to all its cadets, and things like boots, extra sets of textbooks, uniforms, etc. -- there is a need that's not filled.   I came up with a local form system that allowed me to keep track of what was loaned out and to which cadets, so when a particular cadet would leave the program I'd only have to pull the list from his or her file and know that Cadet Jones owes me 2 pairs of boots, 2 BDU tops, 1 BDU pants, etc, etc.   But I also had a spreadsheet where I attempted to keep track of how many uniforms and insignia I had of the various types and sizes.  Unfortunately they were not connected, and unless I faithfully updated both together each time (time-consuming), my inventory was always off.  Not a huge deal, except when you have a new recruit and you're wondering whether or not you really have that last Small-Xshort BDU top in stock and whether it's worth spending 20 minutes digging for it.  Heh.  ...or even more annoying, when you go to promote Cadet Staff Sergeant Dufflebag and discover you only have 1 C/TSgt chevron.  Whoops.

ryan.turner

The problem with developing a tool to "fit a need" is that it will a local need. Even SIMS*, which is arguably the most widely used and appreciated "outside" app was developed to meet a local need. Several years after its development and service, and after many dicsussions with National, it is still a local (unit level) program used by a great many units in CAP, with no interface with National.

* SIMS (Squadron Information Management System) is an Access application used to keep track of members progress electronically. It has numerous features and reports that can make a CC or DCC's life easier. See Squadron Command for more details. Or search CAPTalk.

Thanks for the insight. I'm not trying to disrupt any plans, rather help where I can. MS Access? Yuck. That's all I have to say about that.

Thanks again for the reply!

Quote from: Pylon on July 31, 2010, 06:57:06 PM
Just keep in mind, there are certain inventory items that CAP has its own tracking system for and CAP units are required to track in very specific ways within those systems --  Typically things that are worth money (property, radios, furniture, etc.)  The logistics and comm people on the board can tell you a lot more about that.   

But for local "little" items like a unit with cadet rank insignia that loans out pairs to all its cadets, and things like boots, extra sets of textbooks, uniforms, etc. -- there is a need that's not filled.   I came up with a local form system that allowed me to keep track of what was loaned out and to which cadets, so when a particular cadet would leave the program I'd only have to pull the list from his or her file and know that Cadet Jones owes me 2 pairs of boots, 2 BDU tops, 1 BDU pants, etc, etc.   But I also had a spreadsheet where I attempted to keep track of how many uniforms and insignia I had of the various types and sizes.  Unfortunately they were not connected, and unless I faithfully updated both together each time (time-consuming), my inventory was always off.  Not a huge deal, except when you have a new recruit and you're wondering whether or not you really have that last Small-Xshort BDU top in stock and whether it's worth spending 20 minutes digging for it.  Heh.  ...or even more annoying, when you go to promote Cadet Staff Sergeant Dufflebag and discover you only have 1 C/TSgt chevron.  Whoops.
Sounds good. I was planning to make it modular, so that you can basically track anything. Even down to the chevrons :)

Eclipse

Well Andrew, I'd say it's pretty unreasonable to get mad that members are trying to "fill the gaps" with their own tools, when the National tools are grossly insufficient.  If I come up with a computer program or spreadsheet or something to solve a local problem and it saves me and others time, NHQ has no ground to act indignant or mad unless they're willing to put out a better tool.

In fact, the tenets of good people management would suggest that NHQ's reaction should instead be "thank you" and "we appreciate your efforts and enthusiasm".

The problem is that these "local" solutions tend to become regional defacto standards, whether they are good ideas or not, at which time
NHQ has to "undo" what people are using before they can redo something themselves.  And we all know how open everyone is to be told to "knock it off" when they have invested hundreds of hours in something (rightly or not).

"That Others May Zoom"

ryan.turner

Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2010, 07:23:11 PM

The problem is that these "local" solutions tend to become regional defacto standards, whether they are good ideas or not, at which time
NHQ has to "undo" what people are using before they can redo something themselves.  And we all know how open everyone is to be told to "knock it off" when they have invested hundreds of hours in something (rightly or not).

Well, that certainly makes sense. As stated, I'm only trying to avoid the oversight for now; id rather develop a product with the end users and handle all the extra stuff once it is put together at least.

Thanks again for the advice!

Pylon

Quote from: Eclipse on July 31, 2010, 07:23:11 PM

I recognize that problem, but in reality, the only reason that is an issue is due to failure on NHQ's part to provide needed and helpful tools in a timely manner to the field.

So in the absence of national IT products filling the needs I have today, what's your short term solution?  Without SIMS, should my short-term solution be to instead record-keep by hand and not have valuable and up-to-date attendance, test-taking, promotion rate, birthday lists, contact sheets, and status reports at my fingertips.  If you're suggesting we not fill the gaps with local solutions, then what?  Go without? 

Besides, it's not like the minute everyone got settled into SIMS a better, more capable product came out from NHQ and we all had to go back and re-do everything.    No, in fact, years later, SIMS is still far more capable and useful for the unit than anything National has put out, period.

Is the short-term solution to tracking my miscellaneous loaner uniforms and insignia to not track them at all, until National swoops in and solves my problem?   

Is the solution to do everything by hand and pencil in giant green ledger books until a National-approved IT Product® is released for every need?

Sorry, but your argument only further emphasizes that the ball is in NHQ's court to develop better tools in a more timely manner.  And when they don't, I'm sorry, but I'm going to use or make anything I can within the regs to get the job at the squadron done better, faster, easier, and more accurately.

ryan.turner

Would an updated, more user friendly SIMS be a valuable tool or a waste of time?

arajca

The only reason I asked National was so I wouldn't be redesigning the wheel for the umpeenth time and would merely be taking a project they had already planned on doing off their plate a few years early, since the units needed it then. I was informed that 1. the Team would not give the information to contact the folks who drew up the overall outline and 2. the team leader would not forward questions I had to those folks.

As a result I dropped the whole idea, since like many, I did not see the need to invest a significant amount of time developing a program that would not be compliant with what was coming down, shortly.

Eclipse

Quote from: ryan.turner on July 31, 2010, 08:37:17 PM
Would an updated, more user friendly SIMS be a valuable tool or a waste of time?

SIMS is being updated on an ongoing basis - perhaps you could offer your time to the team at squadroncommand.com.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: arajca on July 31, 2010, 09:06:16 PM
The only reason I asked National was so I wouldn't be redesigning the wheel for the umpeenth time and would merely be taking a project they had already planned on doing off their plate a few years early, since the units needed it then. I was informed that 1. the Team would not give the information to contact the folks who drew up the overall outline and 2. the team leader would not forward questions I had to those folks.

Answers like those make me dig in harder...

"That Others May Zoom"

NC Hokie

Quote from: Eclipse on August 01, 2010, 02:37:54 AM
SIMS is being updated on an ongoing basis - perhaps you could offer your time to the team at squadroncommand.com.
Sorry, but the development of SIMS effectively ended when the developer quit CAP last February.  There have been some discussions on the Squadron Command forums about where to go from here, but so far there's been nothing but talk.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

ryan.turner

Quote from: NC Hokie on August 01, 2010, 04:05:50 AM
Sorry, but the development of SIMS effectively ended when the developer quit CAP last February.  There have been some discussions on the Squadron Command forums about where to go from here, but so far there's been nothing but talk.
I'm not willing to devote time into a tool developed on a dying platform. It'll be just about as quick to re-develop it as it would be to decode an undocumented tool in an older language. I'll play with it over the next few days and learn about its functionality and start making lists for consideration.

Eclipse

Well, that's a bummer, but shows the risk in developing tools below the national level - even the best projects rarely have the sustainability or scalability to keep going indeinfienlty without support of NHQ.

Quote from: ryan.turner on August 01, 2010, 04:24:40 AM
I'm not willing to devote time into a tool developed on a dying platform, especially when there isn't an existing group around it. I'll play with it over the next few days and learn about its functionality and start making lists.

You should be aware that NHQ is already in the process of development of a system to enhance eServices, basically adding the functionality that SIMS provides today.

"That Others May Zoom"

ryan.turner

Quote from: Eclipse on August 01, 2010, 04:34:27 AM

Well, that's a bummer, but shows the risk in developing tools below the national level - even the best projects rarely have the sustainability or scalability to keep going indeinfienlty without support of NHQ.

Quote from: ryan.turner on August 01, 2010, 04:24:40 AM
I'm not willing to devote time into a tool developed on a dying platform, especially when there isn't an existing group around it. I'll play with it over the next few days and learn about its functionality and start making lists.

You should be aware that NHQ is already in the process of development of a system to enhance eServices, basically adding the functionality that SIMS provides today.
Sounds good! Thanks for the heads up ;) I'll keep on truckin and it'll be interesting to see what the product is!

I don't want to send the impression of being a freelancer - I just want to take it at my own pace and in my own direction for now.

If anyone else has some ideas as for more things that would be helpful, please share! I've already carved out the database for a resource tracking tool as well as a local user manager.

JC004

Thom

I'll just throw this out there, since this thread seems to be veering towards this topic...

With a little effort (for particularly huge values of little...) you CAN get a Local/Regional effort approved and coordinated with NHQ.  I'm working on a Regional project now that has just started, but has been coordinated with NHQ so that we aren't reinventing someone else's wheel.  Hopefully this project will bear some very good fruit and virtually everyone in CAP will eventually benefit from it.

I can just about guarantee you that if the Region had gone off, done all the work, finished the project and presented it to NHQ with a bow on it, even IF it wasn't duplicating some other project that NHQ had going that we didn't even know about, it would be rejected summarily.  It's both a case of Not-Invented-Here and a recognition that there are some basic underlying presumptions and requirements which you are ONLY going to know about and understand by bringing in NHQ at the beginning of a project.

So, I didn't mean that to discourage anyone.  In point of fact, I'm a big supporter of 'just do it' keeping in mind that if you want your project/program/whatever to have the maximum benefit for the entire organization, you need to consider the big picture from the very start.

Also, this gets back to a core complaint with CAP these days: Everyone does their own thing, instead of the proper CAP sanctioned and approved thing.

And, before I forget, to the Original Poster: "Welcome to CAP and thanks for your service!"

Thom

ryan.turner

Quote from: Thom on August 01, 2010, 07:02:30 PM
I'll just throw this out there, since this thread seems to be veering towards this topic...

With a little effort (for particularly huge values of little...) you CAN get a Local/Regional effort approved and coordinated with NHQ.  I'm working on a Regional project now that has just started, but has been coordinated with NHQ so that we aren't reinventing someone else's wheel.  Hopefully this project will bear some very good fruit and virtually everyone in CAP will eventually benefit from it.

I can just about guarantee you that if the Region had gone off, done all the work, finished the project and presented it to NHQ with a bow on it, even IF it wasn't duplicating some other project that NHQ had going that we didn't even know about, it would be rejected summarily.  It's both a case of Not-Invented-Here and a recognition that there are some basic underlying presumptions and requirements which you are ONLY going to know about and understand by bringing in NHQ at the beginning of a project.

So, I didn't mean that to discourage anyone.  In point of fact, I'm a big supporter of 'just do it' keeping in mind that if you want your project/program/whatever to have the maximum benefit for the entire organization, you need to consider the big picture from the very start.

Also, this gets back to a core complaint with CAP these days: Everyone does their own thing, instead of the proper CAP sanctioned and approved thing.

And, before I forget, to the Original Poster: "Welcome to CAP and thanks for your service!"

Thom

Thanks a lot for the advice. For now I'm just going to make a closed-access tool for my local wing, and build off of it from there; that way, I'll actually have a bit of experience and material to show what I can do, my dedication, and not rush into things too much.

Thanks again. I've gotten a lot of great advice so far, keep it coming!

Pylon

Quote from: Thom on August 01, 2010, 07:02:30 PM

Actually, the core of that complaint is NHQ.  Everyone does their own thing, because the CAP NHQ-provided way involves needing 100 weekly staff hours, a giant paper and pencil ledger, and hand arithmetic.   There are probably a hundred ways the local units can improve the CAP squadron experience with locally-developed tools and we see it all the time.

Plus, sorry -- there is no CAP sanctioned and approved way to do a lot of things.  Broadcasting the temperature and WGBT index by SMS to subscribers for CAP activities?  No national guidance whatsoever.  Would it be a useful tool?  You bet. 

How about template media releases and PSAs?   National hasn't provided much in the way of that either.  But if PAO Joe develops some great PSAs and shares them freely with other PAOs around the country, is that wrong because we're not doing it the "CAP NHQ Way" (which is, actually, to do nothing at all)?

How about some graphics support from NHQ's full-time staff graphics artists?  Basic things like web templates, fillable Open House flyers, template Twitter backgrounds, template newspaper ads... extreme basic stuff.  How much of that support do units get?   0%.  Every unit is expected to reinvent the graphics wheel for itself.   See the pattern?

Unfortunately, your argument doesn't hold true when the CAP NHQ Sanctioned way is "Every unit is expected to reinvent every wheel, gear, and cog in this operation, will receive no monetary support, no IT tools to make squadron management better, but will however be saddled with reporting mechanisms and tracking requirements for the benefit of lightening Higher Headquarters' workloads."