Main Menu

Toyota Sponsafier

Started by smitjud, June 28, 2010, 01:28:07 AM

smitjud

So, at the risk of bringing up painful memories to some about CAP's short lived NASCAR sponsorship of Ashton Lewis, Jr. (which I thought was pretty cool actually), I wanted to tell everyone about a contest that Toyota has going on right now for it's NASCAR fans.  It's called the "Sponsafier" and for those of you that haven't seen it,  it allows you to design your own race car and the winner will be seen on track on an actual car (the winner of the first round was featured on Michael Waltrip's car last weekend at Sonoma, CA.

For those of you that are artistically inclined (or not), this is a great opportunity to get some exposure for CAP and have a little fun doing it, regardless of whether you are a racing fan.

Here is the CAP car I designed, you can follow the link to view and vote for it (daily):
http://www.sponsafier.com/share/91002

If you decide to try your hand at it, post your results here.  I'd love to see and vote!  Who knows, we might even get a CAP car back on the track - for free!

JUSTIN D. SMITH, Maj, CAP
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

JC004

You should remove the Triangle Thingy so we can vote for it.  We should only include official CAP logos.  I know that I for one can't vote for the Triangle Thingy.  Otherwise, sure.

It should include the web site too.

Maybe you could put the missions on an angle matching the line.  Kind of like so:
Emergency Services
     Cadet Programs
           Aerospace Education

I'd also try to make the logo (official) (or name at least) visible from each angle.

Is there a logo on which the colors on the car and logo match?

smitjud

Good ideas.  I'm stuck with what I have though.  Once you submit a design, you can't edit it any further. I hate the triangle thingy too, but it fit real nicely in the space on the back, so I took the bait and used it.  Dangit.
ALWG

"You do not lead by hitting people over the head - that's assault, not leadership."

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

JC004

Big_Ed

Edgar R. Flick, Lt. Colonel, CAP
Emergency Services Training Officer,
Pennsylvania Wing/NERPA001
Member since 1977

vmstan

DEATH TO THE TRIANGLE THINGY!

I'd rather have no car then anything with that on it. I actually like it, other than that giant issue.
MICHAEL M STANCLIFT, 1st Lt, CAP
Public Affairs Officer, NCR-KS-055, Heartland Squadron

Quote"I wish to compliment NHQ on this extremely well and clearly written regulation.
This publication once and for all should establish the uniform pattern to be followed
throughout Civil Air Patrol."

1949 Uniform and Insignia Committee comment on CAP Reg 35-4

AirAux

I like it, I voted for it and I enjoyed doing burnouts in it.  For some reason, the more you guys gripe about the triangle, the better I like it..

FlyTiger77

The car looks good.

It is still available to garner votes, too.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

a2capt

I'm tempted to vote for something else, anything - just because that whole NASCAR thing was a big offensive waste of money.

Plus that thing has the Triangle Thingy on the design. There's no way I can vote for that. Period.

We are not the Civil Highway Patrol. That money could have been spent at airports, on AE for schools, etc. and probably gotten more of the kind of exposure we need. Even ads in AOPA, Flying, Flight Training, etc.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: smitjud on June 28, 2010, 01:28:07 AM
If you decide to try your hand at it, post your results here.  I'd love to see and vote!  Who knows, we might even get a CAP car back on the track - for free!

What makes you so sure all those wonderful "educated" people that go to NASCAR events, are really what we need in CAP in the first place? ::) ::)
We should be spending our time (and money) at general/business aviation airports talking and displaying what we do to those folks.  At least they are "educated" and willing to comprehend what is shown to them.

CAP'er race car -- give me a break!!!

RM

JC004

I've forgiven him for putting the Triangle Thingy because he was clearly tricked into using it.   >:D   ;D

Nonetheless, I wish they allowed for revisions on the site because I thought little those tweaks above would look nice (staggering the missions, matching the colors, that sorta thing).   :'(

FARRIER

Photographer/Photojournalist
IT Professional
Licensed Aircraft Dispatcher

http://www.commercialtechimagery.com/stem-and-aerospace

SJFedor

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on July 10, 2010, 04:10:04 AM
Quote from: smitjud on June 28, 2010, 01:28:07 AM

What makes you so sure all those wonderful "educated" people that go to NASCAR events, are really what we need in CAP in the first place? ::) ::)
We should be spending our time (and money) at general/business aviation airports talking and displaying what we do to those folks.  At least they are "educated" and willing to comprehend what is shown to them.

CAP'er race car -- give me a break!!!

RM

There's plenty of educated people that choose to watch and enjoy NASCAR. It's not completely the yee-haw redneck sport most make it out to be.

That's like me saying that only people who live in their parent's basements enjoy being an amateur radio operator.

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

FW

Quote from: a2capt on July 10, 2010, 02:27:59 AM
I'm tempted to vote for something else, anything - just because that whole NASCAR thing was a big offensive waste of money.

Yes, it was.  However, the intention was good.  The plan was not.  We failed because we didn't get additional sponsors before signing ink to paper.  We needed additional sponsors because we didn't have the money to sustain the project.  Membership went up about 10000 during this period; mostly due to exposure from NASCAR (not 9-11).  When we left NASCAR, membership dropped like a rock in just 2 years.

Oh, and we lost about 2 million bucks from the fiasco (about half of our investable assets).  Luckily(?), we made it back with some shrewed investing of some dedicated individuals... :angel:

smitjud

Exactly.  It was great exposure, but we needed some help on the same token.  Looking at current sponsorships by military organizations, they all share their exposure with other brands.  The National Guard shares time with Mountain Dew/AMP Energy and Dupont.  The Army shares exposure with Haas Automation and Tornados.  The Air Force splits their time with Valvoline, Stanley Tools, and Hunt Brothers Pizza.  Going in with some partners would have stretched the cash further.  I don't think anyone can deny the marketing potential that lies in motorsports.  As for those who like to assume that all NASCAR fans are hillbilly rednecks, that is a stereotype left far in the past.  Saying we don't want NASCAR fans is an absurd statement.  I'm an avid NASCAR fan.  I've also been Director of Cadet Programs for the ALWG during a time we scored "highly successful" on the CI.  I've been employed by the state Emergency Management Agency.  I'm currently in law school.  I would like to think I have some skills that could be of benefit to the program, but I suppose I could go play with someone else like Radioman seems to wish.   :o

That aside, whether you think that our sponsorship was a waste of money, whether or not you absolutely despise the triangle thing, winning this contest would bring FREE exposure to a national television viewing audience of millions of people.  Free advertising is never a bad thing.  There is still time to vote.  You can vote every day (and if you want to see my other designs, go to the gallery and type in my username - justinsmith13).

I would love to see some other CAP designs created by members of this forum.  Go get to designing and post your designs here.  I'll vote, triangle thing or not!  :D
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

smitjud

UPDATE:  My design above currently places 170 out of 26,392  entries.  Thanks everyone that's been voting!  :clap:

Long way from the top, but pretty respectable.
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

Short Field

Quote from: FW on July 10, 2010, 01:10:49 PM
Membership went up about 10000 during this period; mostly due to exposure from NASCAR (not 9-11).  When we left NASCAR, membership dropped like a rock in just 2 years.
Which just highlights a major problem with CAP - retention.  Advertising just gets them in the door but the programs and activities we offer are what keeps them in.   
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

High Speed Low Drag

Quote from: smitjud on July 10, 2010, 04:13:06 PM
Exactly.  It was great exposure, but we needed some help on the same token.  Looking at current sponsorships by military organizations, they all share their exposure with other brands.  The National Guard shares time with Mountain Dew/AMP Energy and Dupont.  The Army shares exposure with Haas Automation and Tornados.  The Air Force splits their time with Valvoline, Stanley Tools, and Hunt Brothers Pizza.  Going in with some partners would have stretched the cash further.  I don't think anyone can deny the marketing potential that lies in motorsports.  As for those who like to assume that all NASCAR fans are hillbilly rednecks, that is a stereotype left far in the past.  Saying we don't want NASCAR fans is an absurd statement.  I'm an avid NASCAR fan.  I've also been Director of Cadet Programs for the ALWG during a time we scored "highly successful" on the CI.  I've been employed by the state Emergency Management Agency.  I'm currently in law school.  I would like to think I have some skills that could be of benefit to the program, but I suppose I could go play with someone else like Radioman seems to wish.   :o

That aside, whether you think that our sponsorship was a waste of money, whether or not you absolutely despise the triangle thing, winning this contest would bring FREE exposure to a national television viewing audience of millions of people.  Free advertising is never a bad thing.  There is still time to vote.  You can vote every day (and if you want to see my other designs, go to the gallery and type in my username - justinsmith13).

I would love to see some other CAP designs created by members of this forum.  Go get to designing and post your designs here.  I'll vote, triangle thing or not!  :D

I played with it and came up with a design, but it is nowhere as smooth looking as yours.  I couldn't figure out how to make the graphics flow from section of the car to another.  I'll post it after yours goes down.  BUT - no triangle thingy.   :D
G. St. Pierre                             

"WIWAC, we marched 5 miles every meeting, uphill both ways!!"

smitjud

QuoteI played with it and came up with a design, but it is nowhere as smooth looking as yours.  I couldn't figure out how to make the graphics flow from section of the car to another.  I'll post it after yours goes down.  BUT - no triangle thingy.

can't wait to see!  hope a few other folks give it a shot too!
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower

smitjud

Oh, and a pointer on getting the graphics to flow from one section of the car to another - go to the 3-D preview after you put down your first set and you can see how the sections align and continue to adjust accordingly.  Takes some time sometimes, but usually you can make it work out ok. 
ALWG

-Dwight D. Eisenhower