Main Menu

M.R.E

Started by johnboy, June 23, 2010, 03:15:59 PM

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: blkhwk on August 19, 2010, 05:18:57 PM
I guess one good side effect of the MRE's would be that you wouldn't have to wait for an empty stall to drop a deuce in. They have this tendency to slow the movement of food through the "system" to a crawl after eating them for a few days.

I can attest to that.

HGjunkie

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on August 23, 2010, 06:21:51 PM
Commercial resale of U.S. Government-issued MREs are prohibited. This is why the major MRE manufacturers make MRE 'clones' you can purchase online or at your local camping supply or army-navy surplus store.
I would like to see a law that prohibits resale. I see the notice on the side of the packages but no law code to go with it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

RogueLeader

Quote from: johnboy on June 23, 2010, 03:15:59 PM
Do we get to eat M.R.E'S at Encampment? ???

Go to CCOC next year at NC007, and you will eat only Meals Rejected by Everyone
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

DakRadz

Sounds yummy!

Heh, my best friend and his dad (who was a SFC Drill Sergeant at the time) thought I was crazy when I started eating an Egg Omelette MRE and said it wasn't half bad.

I stand by that statement. I don't see why those MREs are so despised  ???

FlyTiger77

Quote from: DakRadz on August 31, 2010, 03:59:02 AM

Perhaps some things can't be explained until one has spent an extended period of time in the field with no other delicacies to be had. Factor in the ambiance of a severe shortage of sleep, extended periods of ruck marching, and (rain/sleet/snow/high humidity/hot sun--feel free to insert any other meteorological absurdity that comes to mind) and the association of MREs with fine dining tends to fade rather quickly. And this is only from a training environment.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on August 31, 2010, 04:12:59 AM
Quote from: DakRadz on August 31, 2010, 03:59:02 AM

Perhaps some things can't be explained until one has spent an extended period of time in the field with no other delicacies to be had. Factor in the ambiance of a severe shortage of sleep, extended periods of ruck marching, and (rain/sleet/snow/high humidity/hot sun--feel free to insert any other meteorological absurdity that comes to mind) and the association of MREs with fine dining tends to fade rather quickly. And this is only from a training environment.
You forgot to mention the inevitable "back up." Drink loads of water otherwise it's gonna "stick to your ribs" for a while.

Lt Buzzbear

Meals refused by Ethiopians
meals refused by everyone
meals refusing to exit...

why would you willing put something referred to by these terms in your body if for no other reason than to survive?!?!?!?

SarDragon

Some of them actually taste good?
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JC004

Quote from: SarDragon on August 31, 2010, 06:33:36 AM
Some of them actually taste good?

They taste better when you're hungry in the field and have nothing else, no?

I discovered that the Canadian rations had Pop-Tarts.  mmmmmm  I've also had British and German rations - both decent.  I opened the British rations to find "Whitener."  I had to ask someone what it was (dried tea/coffee creamer).  I thought it was like toothpaste or something in there.   ;D

Italian rations contain alcohol.

British rations have Yorkie chocolate bars.  I was initially confused and worried about the no-women symbol on them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MOD_Yorkie.JPG

N Harmon

Quote from: HGjunkie on August 23, 2010, 11:46:48 PM
I would like to see a law that prohibits resale. I see the notice on the side of the packages but no law code to go with it.

It's called the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act of 1990, and it requires all commercially packaged foods to display nutritional information. Military MREs are not in compliance of this law and therefore can not be commercially sold.

However, most of the MRE manufacturers also produce identical meals which are appropriately labeled and can be sold. They are the same exact meals as the military gets. I highly recommend going with those instead of military surplus MREs where the amount of shelf-life remaining is unknown.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

HGjunkie

Quote from: N Harmon on August 31, 2010, 12:29:03 PM
Quote from: HGjunkie on August 23, 2010, 11:46:48 PM

It's called the Nutrition Labeling and Education Act of 1990, and it requires all commercially packaged foods to display nutritional information. Military MREs are not in compliance of this law and therefore can not be commercially sold.

However, most of the MRE manufacturers also produce identical meals which are appropriately labeled and can be sold. They are the same exact meals as the military gets. I highly recommend going with those instead of military surplus MREs where the amount of shelf-life remaining is unknown.
All the MREs I eat have the nutrition date not on the bag containing 8+ edible items, but on the actual food packaging themselves. So, the nutrition data is on the chipboard box, but not on the bag holding the box and others like it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

raivo

One of the MREs I ate at NGSAR in 2002 had a message on it about the 197X (can't remember the year) Olympics. True story.

CAP Member, 2000-20??
USAF Officer, 2009-2018
Recipient of a Mitchell Award Of Irrelevant Number

"No combat-ready unit has ever passed inspection. No inspection-ready unit has ever survived combat."

a2capt

MRE's, the ones in the plastic bags were phased in starting in 1980, through 1983..

HGjunkie

It seems like you can buy genuine MREs, but you have to get them shipped via ground shipping. Linky
••• retired
2d Lt USAF