Cadet Grooming Standards

Started by EMT-83, June 02, 2010, 01:05:30 PM

EMT-83

Okay, we got an unusual situation. We have a new cadet who is a model, and has long hair for this purpose. Not excessively long, but not within the standards established by 39-1. According to his parents, his particular hair style is in demand and is the "look" that keeps him working.

Apparently, this family is of limited means and really depends on the modeling income to make ends meet. The cadet shows real potential to grow within the cadet program, and will most likely be an asset to the squadron.

The potential for opening a can of worms is present at many levels. My read of 39-1 says a cadet can wear BBDUs and not meet the grooming standard. There's a concern that other cadets will jump on the bandwagon, and in short order, we'll have a motley crew of long-haired cadets.

Anyone ever deal with this before and have any suggestions?

davidsinn

Quote1. All cadet members must meet the grooming standards prescribed for AF-style uniforms in Attachment 2 of CAPM 39-1 whenever wearing a CAP Uniform, including CAP Distinctive Uniforms as well as USAF-style Uniforms. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the National Commander as necessary to comply with the law. (See link above for additional details)

He must meet grooming. If the family is that poor that he must work to support them then perhaps CAP is not for him?
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

viperred396

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 02, 2010, 01:05:30 PMMy read of 39-1 says a cadet can wear BBDUs and not meet the grooming standard.

Can you say where in 39-1 it says this because i couldn't find it.   Also you have to remember that you are representing all of CAP not just your squadron, so my question is does it look unprofessional and/or not in the proper image of CAP when he is in BDU's with his hair down?

EMT-83

In the section where the photos of the BBDU are shown, there's a line about grooming standards. I'm on my phone right now and don't have access.

davidsinn

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 02, 2010, 01:54:56 PM
In the section where the photos of the BBDU are shown, there's a line about grooming standards. I'm on my phone right now and don't have access.

See my post above. A cadet must meet standards. Period.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

capn_shad

See General Courter's ICL dated 15 July 2008:

http://www.capmembers.com/media/cms/2008_07_15_Cadet_Grooming_Standards.pdf

Quote1. All cadet members must meet the grooming standards prescribed for AF-style uniforms in Attachment 2 of CAPM 39-1 whenever wearing a CAP Uniform, including CAP Distinctive Uniforms as well as USAF-style Uniforms. Exceptions may be made at the discretion of the National Commander as necessary to comply with the law.
2. When the National Board and National Executive Committee expanded uniform choices available to cadets to include uniforms previously worn only by senior members, the intention was to allow for those cadets not meeting the weight standards to have an authorized CAP uniform to wear. It was not changed to allow cadets to choose whether or not they would meet the grooming standards.
3. This clarification will be included in the next revision of CAPM 39-1.
CAPT Shad L. Brown
Public Affairs Officer
Pueblo Eagles Composite Squadron

MSgt Van

MEMORANDUM FOR CAP UNIT COMMANDERS (DISTRIBUTE WIDELY)
SUBJECT: Clarification of CAPM 39-1, Cadet Grooming Standards
1. All cadet members must meet the grooming standards prescribed for AF-style uniforms in Attachment 2 of CAPM 39-1 whenever wearing a CAP Uniform, including CAP Distinctive Uniforms as well as USAF-style Uniforms.

If a cadet refuses to comply with the grooming standards, they'll only serve as a bad example.
Remove them.

Майор Хаткевич

And when the "in style" look will be pink Mohawks, will we let him do it as well? If he's not willing to follow the regs, and be just like any other cadet, then CAP isn't for him. BSA are hiring though.

C/Martin

Perhaps pass him off as a girl and put his wairin a bun?
Regards,
C/CMSgt
Todd Martin
Executive Officer/Chief
VA-023

RobertAmphibian

If it can't be fixed with some gel or hairspray...there's no cure. And plenty of male models have short hair these days anyway.

Al Sayre

You could always send a letter up the chain explaining the circumstances and ask for a waiver.  Stop laughing, you'll never know if you don't ask...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

MSgt Van

"Why can he have a waiver, and my child can't? It's not fair."
I can hear the parents whining already. Geesh.
Not to mention jerks like me asking why that cadet's hair is too long... 

Al Sayre

"When C/Amn Snuffy gets a job to support your family based on his looks we can see about a waiver for him.  By the way I hear they are having a casting call for Head and Shoulders shampoo, Clearasil, and Arid Extra Dry next week..."
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

PA Guy

Had this identical situation a few yrs ago. The sqdn CC turned a blind eye to the hair then the cadet started attending activities outside the sqdn. The cadet was sent home and it turned into a real mess. The cadet and his parents were really upset and a complaint was filed that went to the Wing CC. The cadet/parents were told he must adhere to CAP grooming standards. Life is full of choices, not all of them are pleasent. The ICL says a waiver may be granted to comply with law. I don't think this meets the criteria.

DBlair

I wonder if the hairstyle could be brought within regs somehow using hairspray, gel, or some other hair product. I remember hearing of a Cadet who had long hair and somehow did this. Eventually, from what I heard, he just gave in and got a short haircut because it was too much work.
DANIEL BLAIR, Lt Col, CAP
C/Lt Col (Ret) (1990s Era)
Wing Staff / Legislative Squadron Commander

EMT-83

I had missed the ICL, which spells things out pretty clearly. Obviously, this has come up before.

Perhaps we'll show it to the parents, so they know how NHQ feels about the subject, and leave the ball in their court on how they will comply. Like PA Guy said, life is full of choices.

Thanks for the input. Other than the "pass him off as a girl" nonsense, this was very helpful.

AirAux

So we won't give a waiver to a cadet that is earning money to support his parents, but we will give a waiver to cadet to a wear a beard because of his religion??  Something doesn't fit in this scenario..  What if his religion requires him to respect, honor and obey his parents and he does that by helping support them..  Political correctness and let the parents lose their home to foreclosure.. Bravo..   

Ned

Quote from: AirAux on June 02, 2010, 07:44:05 PM
So we won't give a waiver to a cadet that is earning money to support his parents, but we will give a waiver to cadet to a wear a beard because of his religion??  Something doesn't fit in this scenario..  What if his religion requires him to respect, honor and obey his parents and he does that by helping support them..  Political correctness and let the parents lose their home to foreclosure.. Bravo..   

Maybe, just maybe, the author who drafted the ICL had just this sort of "barracks lawyering" in mind.

"Umm, yeah, about that.  My official religion is the Church of Ned and it says that I don't have to obey any rules that I don't like.  Really, I can show you our Official Credo just as soon as I get done writing it."

Seriously, anyone who is in forclosure because of their CAP involvement should probably be concentrating on other things.

I, for one, thought the ICL was particularly well written.   8)  It is important to provide commanders with "bright line rules" whenever possible to make their jobs easier and to provide consistency to our outstanding cadet program.

And as someone else pointed out, the ICL was put in place because of this specific issue which had already come up a few times.  For over 50 years there was absolutely no question that cadets had to conform to our grooming standards.  It was only after we attempted to provide a benefit to large cadets over 18 by offering them additional uniform choices besides the blazer uniform that this problem arose.  And it was simply a case of a drafting error in the first place that appeared to allow cadets in corporates to be exempt from grooming standards.

We fixed the problem and returned to the status quo ante that had served us well for half a century.

Ned Lee
Acting National Cadet Advisor

Fubar

Quote from: Ned on June 02, 2010, 08:49:09 PMMy official religion is the Church of Ned and it says that I don't have to obey any rules that I don't like.
Where do I sign up?  8)

Eclipse

Quote from: AirAux on June 02, 2010, 07:44:05 PM

Don't hurt yourself....

"That Others May Zoom"