IR rating with CAP

Started by Smoothice, May 19, 2010, 01:43:25 PM

Smoothice

Hi,
I am pretty sure I read this right in 60-1 but I want to make sure...

As a PPL and a CAP VFR pilot,  I want to get my instrument rating. I can fly with another CAP member who is also a CFII in our wing's airplane and work on the rating as long as this is approved by my wing commander, and I relaize I have to pay the hourly rate...correct??

I would think that it would not be a problem becuase getting my IR would make me a better/safer pilot and a benifit to CAP...right??

I would appreciate clarification if I am wrong...

thanks!

tsrup

60-1 would in fact be where you need to be looking.

There are some stipulations based on how long you've been a member (1 year of membership prior to any training toward an FAA rating) and some caveats with wing approval. 

Knowing nothing about you and your membership I would just say reference 60-1 and talk to your squadron commander.
Paramedic
hang-around.

Smoothice

Yes, I did in fact notice that it required 1 year of "service". Thats fine, puts me to about August.

What if the CFII is a new member...does he also have to wait a year before he can act as a CFII in our squadron?

Al Sayre

No, but he will need to complete the National Check Pilot Standardization Course and be designated a CAP IP first.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

BlueLakes1

The one year service requirement and wing CC approval are waived if you hold a Mission Pilot rating, if you have already completed that, or want to do that before your year is up.

The CFII will need to be both a Form 5 current CAP pilot and authorized as an Instructor Pilot before (s)he can give instruction in a CAP airplane.
Col Matthew Creed, CAP
GLR/CC

N Harmon

Quote from: Smoothice on May 19, 2010, 01:43:25 PMI would think that it would not be a problem becuase getting my IR would make me a better/safer pilot and a benifit to CAP...right??

What would really make you a benefit to CAP is if you became an orientation pilot and a mission pilot. The work to become a mission pilot is said to improve your VFR skills greatly. And then work on your IR.
NATHAN A. HARMON, Capt, CAP
Monroe Composite Squadron

SJFedor

If you've been in a year, and are a mission pilot, you dont even have to ask permission to do it (wing policies may vary)

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

Smoothice

Good point about becomming a Mission Pilot. I am planning on being an orientation pilot soon. I have the hours for the MP, but I just finished Scanner rating, so have a little more to go...

Mustang

Quote from: Al Sayre on May 19, 2010, 05:07:14 PM
No, but he will need to complete the National Check Pilot Standardization Course and satisfactorily complete an Instructor endorsement on a CAPF 5 within the preceding 12 calendar months and be designated a CAP Instructor Pilot first.

Fixed.  NCPSC is not a requirement to become an IP.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "