Hawk Mountain what to expect

Started by cadetchris, April 24, 2010, 09:44:12 PM

Spike

Don't make the Hawks angry.  They will swoop down and eat your face off.  Not a pretty situation!!

mynetdude

Quote from: JC004 on May 03, 2010, 09:03:05 AM
Quote from: mynetdude on May 03, 2010, 08:06:43 AM
Are senior members required to be physically apt? (I would think so for the field portion) and are SMs required to attend ALL of the staff training portions whether they are in the field or not (assuming there are staffing available that do not include being in the field).

The sign-offs for the grades require physical fitness stuff.  Look at their web site for those.  It's not the most rugged terrain in the world, not even the most in Pennsylvania, but there's good reason why you have to be able to do the physical stuff.  They don't have a huge mission base thing as part of their program...It has just never been part of what they do.  They certainly have a bunch of support staff - not tons, but a number.  Those folks are more like encampment support staff than, say, mission base staff.

My bad, I realize this is more of an encampment than an ES function like NBB is. I can do mild terrain and short hikes which is probably opposite of HMRS.  I would guess most of the staff members if not all are with the class when they are doing their field work instead of staying behind.

Its been a long time since I've been to the HMRS website, looks good keep up the work :).

JC004

Quote from: mynetdude on May 03, 2010, 05:25:31 PM
My bad, I realize this is more of an encampment than an ES function like NBB is. I can do mild terrain and short hikes which is probably opposite of HMRS.  I would guess most of the staff members if not all are with the class when they are doing their field work instead of staying behind.

Its been a long time since I've been to the HMRS website, looks good keep up the work :).

I wouldn't plan on going expecting mild terrain and short hikes.  Have a look at the pictures they have on their site.  You'll see the terrain and all.  I think the photo galleries are there...I haven't been on the site in a few months.

I don't do their site...I don't do the PAWG site at all, actually.  They've been pretty good about including a decent amount of information though.

HMRSRANGER

Quote from: SilverEagle2 on April 25, 2010, 02:28:53 PM
Quote from: DC on April 25, 2010, 12:45:02 PM
Several years ago a friend of mine went, and when he came back he told me they were instructed not to talk about the specifics of the course.

Having been there myself, I find this hard to believe. Not talking about the course does nothing to perk the interest of others to come and nothing at Hawk is secret. That would be like IACE saying, don't tell others so they will apply. I think he was pulling your leg.

It was a cool experience but a lot of hard work. I did however do R-2, R-1, and R-A all in my first year. The skills transfer and lessons learned are very valuable personally as well as CAP. It will challenge you physically, but once the sore muscles recover, you will be glad you went.

When did you attend hawk?, and thats alot you got done your first year what squadron did you go through
Tyler R. Humphrey, C/2Lt. CAP
Squadron Commander
Hawk Mountain Ranger Search and Rescue School
USAF-AUX
"We Lead"

Spike

^ I do not believe it was EVER possible to go from R-3 to Advanced in 1 year.  If so, there must have been a lot of "pencil-whipping" I am sure.   

davidsinn

Quote from: Spike on May 10, 2010, 03:43:52 AM
^ I do not believe it was EVER possible to go from R-3 to Advanced in 1 year.  If so, there must have been a lot of "pencil-whipping" I am sure.   

Not necessarily. As a GTL I have 2/3 of that already done. As an Eagle Scout I could knock out half the rest pretty easily and once I have my self back into shape I could manage the remainder. I could see it being done in a week. Weather it's allowed or not is a different story.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Rodriguez

R-3 to Advanced, jeez...Quite the achievment. I guess its possible if your already a GTL, it would just be a lot of transfering of sign-offs.
-C/Capt. Rodriguez, Ranger Staff, 11B Infantryman 53rd Brigade Combat Team FLARNG

sarmed1

Tango students are usually the ones to go from 0 to hero in one week; The catch usually is they are already qualified at an equivilent GT level, so there isnt much "learning" required, more a verification of existing skill sets.  Almost all of the skills are GT equivilent tasks, the bulk of the HMRS skills are rope and navigation related.  The only one I have ever seen waived is Winter Schools for out of state folks who live where it doestn get too cold.

mk
Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel