The Spaatz

Started by usaf262, March 14, 2010, 04:17:37 PM

usaf262

I really need to get studying for this so that I can hopefully pass it sometime before August.  I've taken it once before, and didn't do so great, however I at least know what I'm up against. Any tips, tricks, pointers, and/or advice for how to study for this again would be greatly appreciated.  Also, the reason I say I need to get it done before August is that I'm in my senior year of high school and know that if I don't get it done before the start of college, my chances of doing it will go down drastically.
Adult member

jimmydeanno

Aerospace: Study
Leadership: Study
Essay: Practice writing some
PT: Practice

Really, the only variable that you should be worrying about as a C/Lt Col should be the essay, as it is the only thing that is subjective.  Having had to pass tests on the material up to this point, you should be confident in the AE and Leadership portions.  The PT, you should know before hand if you are going to pass.

This is the time where you see what you are made of and really prove to yourself that this is something you want.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Spike

What did you fail the first time around??

I am guessing PT was no problem?

The essay?? 

usaf262

Sadly, I can only say that I passed the PT on my first attempt. I studied, but not the right way looking back.  I've never been a good person at studying and have really only learned decent techniques for studying over the last year.  My problem with the essay before was I wasn't a very good writer. Fortunately, senior year of high school has taught me to become a decent writer, so I'm not to worried about the essay.  I know what the test material for the leadership and aerospace tests are, but now I'm just looking for any extra advice or resources that others may have to share with me.
Adult member

Spike

^ How did you do on your way to the Eaker?  Did you promote every two months.....did you fail many tests on the way up? 

What I find hurts Cadets is that they forget everything that came before their last milestone award once they pass it.

If you were a "2 month promoter", you may have missed some key material, because you only memorized what you needed for the tests.  Now when you are testing, they are pulling material that may not have been on previous tests. 

I hate to say it, but you may have to sit down everyday and read a chapter of Leadership and Aerospace over and over.

I have had 2 Cadet earn the Spaatz since I became a Squadron Commander.  Each one passed it on their first attempt most likely due to them reading from cover to cover in each text. 

As far as the essay, do not be afraid to ask an English instructor for guidance.  Look in the AF tongue and Quill on how to write an informative brief.  Trust me when I say that the "tongue and Quill" can really help you out in this area.

Mustang

The key to the Spaatz exam battery is to master the material, not the tests.

Create your own study guides for the leadership and aerospace texts.  Outline the entire things, adding more detail where your knowledge is weak.  Then review, review, review until you are in fact the subject matter expert a Spaatz Cadet should be.

And yes, I earned that particular award as a cadet myself, so I know of what I speak.  Good luck to you.
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

davedove

We just had a cadet that passed her Spaatz.  What she requested, and we allowed, was for her to retake all the different cadet tests as a way to study the material.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

Cecil DP

1. Get the Senior Member AE book, which should cover all the material in the various cadet AE books. See if you can take the Yeager test on line. As an aerospace function have your cadets ask you questions from the various AE materials, everyone should learn from this.
2. Have someone pose questions to answer in an essay form, There is no right or wrong answer, it's the way you defend and support your position that counts.  Have these essays graded by a third person, who can tell you what's good and bad about your response. Use spell and grammar checkers.
3. Review the Leadership booklets from phase one through phase four, also review the various SDA's that are required for phase 3and 4.
4. familiarize yourself with the regs, especially 39-1, 52-16
5. Get yourself into good shape, the physical part counts just as much as the others. (I actually knew a cadet who passed everything, except the run-3x)
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

usaf262

Thanks guys. I've taken the promotion tests before as a key to studying before and I'll for sure be doing it again. I appreciate all of the other advice as well. Also, I was a 2-month promoter on most of the things, but I do remember that I stayed a C/TSgt, C/MSgt, and a C/Capt for awhile. I've been in since I turned 12.
Adult member

Senior

It is nice to hear of a cadet and several in this thread that didn't
quit testing after the Mitchell or the Eaker.  Please tell your cadets that the completion of the cadet program is passing the Spaatz Exam.
Study and then study some more.  Spaatz #1122