Main Menu

Squadron names vs numbers

Started by flyguy06, December 12, 2007, 09:47:28 PM

flyguy06

I dont know if this question has been asked before or not.

But why is it in the last five years or so, when people refer to their squadrons, they ivee numbers instead of the actual name of the squadron? We didnt used to do this and I dont really like it.

I wanted to visit this members unit onetime and I asked him what unit he was in. He told me GA-129. I had no idea if that was in Atlanta or if it was in Savannah which is 300 miles away.

Isnt it easier just to say Savannah Composite Squadron. that way the person knows exactly what and where you are talking about. I understand the purpose for having numbers but in conversation I think its easier to tell the person the name of your unit to help them out.

isuhawkeye

How would you prefer to refer to a squadron

1. the 91st
2. Central Iowa Composite Squadron (proper name)
3.  The Ames Composite Squadron (not the proper name)
4. The Doug Jansen memorial Squadron (also not the proper name)
5.  Those meddling kids...

The city the squadron is housed does not necessarily reflect the name

MIKE

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 12, 2007, 09:47:28 PM

It has... Kinda.

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 12, 2007, 09:47:28 PMIsnt it easier just to say Savannah Composite Squadron. that way the person knows exactly what and where you are talking about. I understand the purpose for having numbers but in conversation I think its easier to tell the person the name of your unit to help them out.

Not all units use that naming convention, although that would appear to be the preferred method per CAPR 20-3.

Quote from: CAPR 20-35. c. A proposed name for the unit. Unit names must include the following elements:
1) Identifying prefix - a short identifier, preferably associated with location (example: Shamrock, Dayton, Hot Springs, Midville, etc.). DO NOT use names such as "Black Sheep," "Flying Tigers," etc., or terms descriptive of major functions such as "Communications," "Jeep," or "Rescue," etc.
2) Type of unit (group, cadet squadron, senior squadron, composite squadron, or flight).

My preference would be for a standardized and assigned named/numbered units.  I like numbered units for portability purposes... but you could still have a city or town to associate with the unit, but it would not be officially part of the designator.
Mike Johnston

RiverAux

Most squadrons use geographic names though they all also have the state-numeric identifier as well. 

mikeylikey

Well anyone here remember when SQD's used 5 numbers.  The first two indicated wing, the last three were charter.  MUCH harder then.  At least nowthey give you the state the unit is located in.

However, I do agree we should use 2 digit identifiers for SQD's.  Say " 21st Georgia SQD".
What's up monkeys?

SarDragon

And then we have the CAWG version - I'm in Sq 57, but the charter number is CA 256. At least we don't use the charter numbers for normal discussion. I prefer real names, since that's what I grew up with, and it's easier for me to make associations between names and locations that way.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: mikeylikey on December 13, 2007, 12:37:28 AM
Well anyone here remember when SQD's used 5 numbers.  The first two indicated wing, the last three were charter.  MUCH harder then.  At least nowthey give you the state the unit is located in.

However, I do agree we should use 2 digit identifiers for SQD's.  Say " 21st Georgia SQD".

Some were not as hard as others - IL, for example, was "11", so on most typewriters of the period it looked the same letter or number.

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

All 3 of the squadrons I've been a member of have all been named after the city or county.

Jacksonville Composite Squadron
Fairfax Composite Squadron
Mount Vernon Composite Squadron

In National Capital Wing, all of the Virginia and Maryland located squadrons followed suit.  Only in DC did they stray from this standard.  Tuskegee and Challenger Squadrons.  But of course, there is now only one squadron left in DC propper.  Surprised NATCAP wing didn't get sucked into MD and VA wings.
Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

I remember that. GA was 09 and AL was 08. It was easy for me. But that wasnt the name of the unit. It was the unit ID. Nowadays people introduce their unit by a number and that is confusing to me.

flyguy06

Quote from: Stonewall on December 13, 2007, 02:53:07 AM
All 3 of the squadrons I've been a member of have all been named after the city or county.

In National Capital Wing, all of the Virginia and Maryland located squadrons followed suit.  Only in DC did they stray from this standard.  Tuskegee and Challenger Squadrons.  But of course, there is now only one squadron left in DC propper.  Surprised NATCAP wing didn't get sucked into MD and VA wings.

I was actually going to make a thread asking that question. You dont really here much about the DC wing. i am in DC now visiting relatives. I wondered how many units were in DCWG

Stonewall

3 in Virginia
1 in Maryland
1 in DC

2 Middle School programs (which I don't count)

When I first got to DC Wing in late 1992, there were 3 in VA, 3 in MD and 3 in DC.  Looks like the 3 on the VA side (my side) is doing well.

http://natcapwg.cap.gov/units
Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

Wow. Seven Squadrons in the entire Wing. I have never heard of a wing that small bt I am sure RI and DE arent very far behind. That beckons another question unrelated to this thread.

The CAWG CC and the DCWG CC are the same rank yet have very differant commands

Cecil DP

Quote from: Stonewall on December 13, 2007, 03:58:10 AM
3 in Virginia
1 in Maryland
1 in DC

When I first got to DC Wing in late 1992, there were 3 in VA, 3 in MD and 3 in DC.  Looks like the 3 on the VA side (my side) is doing well.

Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

lordmonar

I was commander of the 113th Cadet Squadron, Misawa.  NHQ-OS-113.

I could care less one way of the other.

However, geographical names are good sometimes....The Nellis Senior Squadron....does not meet on Nellis AFB...but they still maintain offices there.  But so does the Clark County Senior Squadron.

I really hate "named" squadrons.  I mean it is all well and good you want to honor some person or idea....but 1/2 the time the squadron has little or no real connection with the honoree or no one outside of the squadron know who they are.

Numbers are more portable.  If the unit moves 5 miles to the next town it is easier to change the letter head.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Psicorp

It does get confusing, doesn't it?

The squadron where I spent my Cadet career was unit 08435.  For years it didn't have an official name.  We met on Tyndall AFB, so we started calling ourselves the "435th TCTS" (Tyndall Cadet Training Squadron).   

Now of course I'm in MI where we're the Scott M. Burgess Composite Squadron and GLR-MI-257.   It used to be called the "Capital Squadron", just to add to the confusion.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

lordmonar

Quote from: Psicorp on December 13, 2007, 05:16:24 AM
It does get confusing, doesn't it?

The squadron where I spent my Cadet career was unit 08435.  For years it didn't have an official name.  We met on Tyndall AFB, so we started calling ourselves the "435th TCTS" (Tyndall Cadet Training Squadron).   

Now of course I'm in MI where we're the Scott M. Burgess Composite Squadron and GLR-MI-257.   It used to be called the "Capital Squadron", just to add to the confusion.

Question 1.  Who is Scot M. Burgess?
Question 2.  Why was it the "Capitol Squadron"?

Unless you know the capitols of all 50 states.....I would not know what city you were in.

stillamarine

IMHO I like the idea of having charter number for admin purposes, but to designate squadron's I like the charter number plus the type of unit type.

ie.

charter number SER-FL-425
Unit Name 425th Composite Squadron

Like I said I think it sounds good

Technically we are Pensacola Composite Squadron though
Tim Gardiner, 1st LT, CAP

USMC AD 1996-2001
USMCR    2001-2005  Admiral, Great State of Nebraska Navy  MS, MO, UDF
tim.gardiner@gmail.com

SarDragon

Quote from: lordmonar on December 13, 2007, 05:06:08 AM
I was commander of the 113th Cadet Squadron, Misawa.  NHQ-OS-113.

But when it was my squadron, it was the Misawa Cadet Squadron, charter # 99113. Somebody got frisky with a CAPF 27.

As for the Q on people's names, vice location names, most of the units here in CAWG that have non-location names make perfect sense, usually honoring a former member of the unit, as do a couple of the numbers - 1986 and 6750.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Cobra1597

Would you like to always say "Lt Col Frank Pocher Minute Man Squadron"?  ;D

Then again, I usually say "Minute Man", and half of the wing staff that knew Lt Col Pocher just call us "Frank Pocher".
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

jimmydeanno

3 in Virginia
1 in Maryland
1 in DC

Boy...sounds like that wing shouldn't even exist.  There is only 1 squadron in the geographical boundaries of DC?  Using that logic there is better justification for a New York State Wing and a New York City Wing.

[off topic]
Brings up an interesting point of discussion though...what about ditching the "geographical limits" approach to wings.  For example, say RI only has 3 squadrons - really it should be a group, so you'd have some Lt Col running the three squadrons in RI who reported to a Wing CC that was in command of RI, Eastern MA, NH and ME...

This would then help with the selection of better Wing CCs/corporate officers because you wouldn't feel obligated to select from 2 1st Lts from RI as your next Wing CC.[/off topic]
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Stonewall

Quote from: jimmydeanno on December 13, 2007, 01:02:09 PM
3 in Virginia
1 in Maryland
1 in DC

Boy...sounds like that wing shouldn't even exist.  There is only 1 squadron in the geographical boundaries of DC?  Using that logic there is better justification for a New York State Wing and a New York City Wing.

I've often wondered why NATCAP exists myself.  But, from what I understand there is some sort of reason for its existence.  May even be political, I don't have a clue.  I will say this. I loved being in that wing.  To me, it was so easy to enjoy my experience.   There wasn't more than a 45 minute drive between any two squadrons.  Even my last squadron, Fairfax (VA) and Andrews (MD).  Best of all, the Wing HQ was litterally centrally located, smack dab in the middle of the wing.  Again, no one had to fly to Wing HQ or  spend a whole day to get to commander's call.  Saved us a lot of time.

As an example, I'm still battling getting a wing call sign in FL.  Been going on for months.  In DC, you'd drive up to Wing HQ and leave with it in hand.

The other thing is Virginia Wing and their dealings with the state (commonwealth) as far as Ground SAR goes.  VA has state requirements for SAR; you have to be 16 and be FTM (Field Team Member) qualified by the state.  FTL for to lead a team.  So, first you'd have to get CAP Ground Qual'd, then get state, and yes, it cost money and a lot of time.  BUT, if you were NATCAP, you were considered "mutual aid" so you didn't have to meet their state standards.  I've been on missions all over Maryland and all over Virginia.  It was great.

Every squadron in NATCAP had a van, not to mention a couple at wing hq we could borrow if necessary.  The wing had 2 planes, more than enough for everyone to share.  And, we had tons of military bases at our disposal.  We had permanent keys to Ft. Belvoir's training areas.  It was awesome. 

But yes, I like Jimmy's idea of wings having to meet certain criteria to be a "wing".  NATCAP's CC and FLWG's CC have the same status and rank, but wing size is definitely one major difference.  One other difference though, is the DCWG CC, on a daily basis almost, has to rub shoulders with lots of stars, congressmen, and other bigwigs.  I mean, Wing HQ is the same place 4-stars live, meet, work, and play.  A major Intel Agency is on base.  And of course, it's minutes from Andrews AFB.  You really do need to know the ins and outs of DC to be DCWG CC, but thats just my opinion.
Serving since 1987.

SARMedTech

This is a little off topic but bothers me as someone who has worked as a private tutor, substitute teacher, special education assistant...

Under the Subordinate Squadrons FOR the Capital Wing its list the middle school site and I couldnt exactly find my way into their CAP info because I was so...bothered...about the fact that another school, in one of the most violent areas in the country puts a map of its school on its website. Its like an invitation to stranger danger. "In this room are the kindergartners...they will panic and run all over so they will the easiest to harm." Perhaps my dual Masters in Emergency Management and Homeland Security is making me hypersensitive, but why dont they just go all out and publish the times the children will be out side, when they are moving from class to class and, oh yeah, lets issue a identilock key card to every freaking weirdo within a 10 mile radius.

Sorry. I recently attended a conference on schools as targets for mass casualty events and its got me a little hepped up.

Sorry for the bump there.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Stonewall

Quote from: SARMedTech on December 13, 2007, 02:26:19 PMI was so...bothered...about the fact that another school, in one of the most violent areas in the country puts a map of its school on its website. Its like an invitation to stranger danger. "In this room are the kindergartners...they will panic and run all over so they will the easiest to harm."

I hear ya clickin' big chickin.  But don't get your Under Armor Boxer Briefs in a bunch.  Historically, the school shootings are happening outside the "inner city" blocks and more so in affluent or rural areas.  The killings in DC are of the cowards type, drive-by shootings and drug or gang related.  Not saying it doesn't or won't happen, and there is no excuse for giving the bad guys any edge over the good guys, but I wouldn't expect the next school shooting to happen in DC.  Maybe on the corner, near the school where someone ripped off their favorite pimp or drug dealer.
-------

WHoA!!!  Huge topic drift.  Lets start another thread if this discussion needs to go any further.  Sorry, FlyGuy.
Serving since 1987.

MIKE

Quote from: Cobra1597 on December 13, 2007, 08:17:22 AM

No, 59th Cadet Squadron would be way better  :), since the unit isn't even at Minute Man anymore and you don't have to change it if you move again.  I don't care for Memorial squadron names, no offense intended. JMHO.
Mike Johnston

Cobra1597

Quote from: MIKE on December 13, 2007, 04:30:10 PM
Quote from: Cobra1597 on December 13, 2007, 08:17:22 AM

No, 59th Cadet Squadron would be way better  :), since the unit isn't even at Minute Man anymore and you don't have to change it if you move again.  I don't care for Memorial squadron names, no offense intended. JMHO.

Well, we still have at least one person in the squadron leadership who knew Lt Col Pocher, and one of the other members (me) joined not long after he died and has had the idea of remembering him instilled for 10 years since before he was a teenager. I don't mind having it there, but you see where my bias is.

Personally, I like keeping the "Minute Man" part despite not being at "Minute Man Airfield" anymore, since we are in the neck of the woods where the Revolutionary Minute Men fought their first battles. The fact the CAP has been compared to the Minute Men of old, it always made me proud to be in the squadron with that name.

Also, as far as I know, when the previous incarnation of this squadron was originally at Marlboro Airport (before they disbanded for who knows how many years), they were still called "Minute Man" AFAIK.

I like names more than numbers. I would not mind using the numbers more on the paperwork, it is very annoying trying to fit our squadron name whenever I am writing a 2A by hand, but when I am talking to other people in the Wing I'd rather be talking about Minute Man and Hanscom than 59th and 43rd.

To each their own.
Harrison Ingraham, Capt, CAP
MAWG External Aerospace Education Officer, ADY
Spaatz #1597

Flying Pig

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 12, 2007, 09:47:28 PM

But why is it in the last five years or so, when people refer to their squadrons, they ivee numbers instead of the actual name of the squadron? We didnt used to do this and I dont really like it.

I wanted to visit this members unit onetime and I asked him what unit he was in. He told me GA-129. I had no idea if that was in Atlanta or if it was in Savannah which is 300 miles away.

Isnt it easier just to say Savannah Composite Squadron. that way the person knows exactly what and where you are talking about. I understand the purpose for having numbers but in conversation I think its easier to tell the person the name of your unit to help them out.

It must be where your at.  In my almost 15 years in CAP, I have rarely heard names.  Only numbers.

RiverAux

There are only a couple of states that have officially changed to numbers "58th Composite Squadron".  All the rest go with "Happy Valley Composite Squadron".  Either way, all of them have the unique alphanumeric identifier. 

RogueLeader

I've been in three squadrons, in three regions, and all have gone by both number and name:

MER-WV-049  Wheeling Composite
NCR-IA-043 Dubuque Composite
SWR-OK-115  Comanche Eagles Composite
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Stonewall

All squadrons have a number designator, but I think the original point of this thread was "numbered squadrons" vs "names".

Fairfax Composite Squadron is designated by a unit charter number as:  MER-DC-053

But they're talking about something like "383rd Composite Squadron" , even though the unit charter number is MER-NC-123.
Serving since 1987.

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

mikeylikey

So lets take the numbers from the charter and put it together with the type of Squadron.  EXAMPLE: NER-MA-123, Anytown Composite SQD  BECOMES
123rd Composite SQD.

If that is too confusing, add the state in there:  123rd Massachusetts Composite SQD. 

Sounds better than " The Anytown, Joe E Jackson Memorial Composite Squadron"
Sure beats "NER-MA-123"
What's up monkeys?

MIKE

Don't care for identifying the state in that manner.  I suppose you could go back to the old style charter number so each is unique.

19022nd Cadet Squadron where 19 was the old wing idenifier for MA, therefore MA could be the 19th Wing.  5 digits is a bit much though... Unless you want to redo charter number so that there is only one 22nd unit in the nation.
Mike Johnston

scooter

Gosh just think if there was some standardization to the squadron naming thing, we couldn't have this interesting conversation. Suppose CAP followed the AF lead and named squadrons by their function. For example the 162nd CAPCS for the 162 Composite or Cadet Squadron. The nick name could then be the "good guys" or whatever. For senior squadrons the 162nd CAPSS. Just my 2 cents worth. No one wants to rewrite regs.

Camas

Talk about confusing.  Look at what they do in CAWG.  Squadron 80 is really PCR-CA-110.  I understand there are many others that use an identical system.

brasda91

Well anyone here remember when SQD's used 5 numbers.

Heck I still consider that my charter number.   ;D
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

MIKE

162nd CAPSS   Think about that for a second, CAP SS... I'm having flashbacks of the NHWG Drill Team again, and last weeks episode of Weaponology.

The Coast Guard Auxiliary seems to be pretty much number centric. (Even though units are still named... mostly for geographic areas.)  Where the division (group) number is first followed by the flotilla (squadron) number, and then the district (regionish).  11 1NR = Division 1 Flotilla 1 1st District Northern Region or simply Flotilla 11.  For division or flotilla numbers 10 or greater it's separated by a -.  10-2 1NR.
Mike Johnston

flyguy06

Quote from: Stonewall on December 13, 2007, 10:45:59 PM
All squadrons have a number designator, but I think the original point of this thread was "numbered squadrons" vs "names".

Fairfax Composite Squadron is designated by a unit charter number as:  MER-DC-053

But they're talking about something like "383rd Composite Squadron" , even though the unit charter number is MER-NC-123.

Yes, that was the original point of my question.

I was asking why do we "refer" to our unit in conversation as a number. I realize that every unit in CAP has a charter number. But if I am talking with someone and ask them what unit they ar ein, if they say "I;m in the 435th" That really doent tell me anything. If they say "I'm in Atlanta Cadet Squadron" That helps me understand a little more.

A unit named after a person such as the Ben O. Davis Cadet Squadron is a differant thing altogether/

brasda91

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 14, 2007, 12:33:29 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on December 13, 2007, 10:45:59 PM

Yes, that was the original point of my question.

I was asking why do we "refer" to our unit in conversation as a number. I realize that every unit in CAP has a charter number. But if I am talking with someone and ask them what unit they ar ein, if they say "I;m in the 435th" That really doent tell me anything. If they say "I'm in Atlanta Cadet Squadron" That helps me understand a little more.

A unit named after a person such as the Ben O. Davis Cadet Squadron is a differant thing altogether/

When I'm talking with people around town, media, prospects, etc. I usually refer to our squadron as the "Paducah Civil Air Patrol" vs. our actual name of "Paducah Composite Squadron".  The name "Paducah Composite Squadron" doesn't really tell someone what organization we belong to.  "Civil Air Patrol" is becoming more of a household name, at least in my part of the world, due to the Fosset search and a local (1hr from here) airplane crash.  It's just easier and simpler to say "Paducah Civil Air Patrol" vs. "Paducah Composite Squadron, Civil Air Patrol".
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 14, 2007, 12:33:29 AMA unit named after a person such as the Ben O. Davis Cadet Squadron is a differant thing altogether/

That squadron closed down too.  I think anyway.  Or did it turn into a school thing.

Yeah, all the inner city squadrons in DC fell apart, except for the one on Bolling AFB, but still, they never seemed to have quality leadership there either.  Well, this one guy, but he went up to wing.  Then there was the lady who stole all the squadron money....
Serving since 1987.

flyguy06

Quote from: Stonewall on December 14, 2007, 03:17:25 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on December 14, 2007, 12:33:29 AMA unit named after a person such as the Ben O. Davis Cadet Squadron is a differant thing altogether/

That squadron closed down too.  I think anyway.  Or did it turn into a school thing.

Yeah, all the inner city squadrons in DC fell apart, except for the one on Bolling AFB, but still, they never seemed to have quality leadership there either.  Well, this one guy, but he went up to wing.  Then there was the lady who stole all the squadron money....

Oooooook. what does an inner city unit have to do with my post? I was talking about Squadron names versus numbers.

flyguy06

oh, I get it. Cause I mentioned Ben O. Davis. I didnt really know that was an actual squadron. I was just using a name for an example and his stood out in my mind.

Stonewall

Quote from: flyguy06 on December 14, 2007, 04:09:57 AM
Quote from: Stonewall on December 14, 2007, 03:17:25 AM

Oooooook. what does an inner city unit have to do with my post? I was talking about Squadron names versus numbers.

Yes, because you mentioned Benjamin O. Davis Squadron, which was one of the inner city squadrons in DC that failed, thus leaving only one.  Which, was my point about DC only having one squadron inside the city limits.  But then, I thought for a second that maybe the B.O. Davis squadron may have turned into on of the school things.
Serving since 1987.

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: Stonewall on December 13, 2007, 02:53:07 AM

You mean there is a CAP Colonel in command of one (maybe two)  Squadron(s)?
Reminds me of Clear AFS

And btw: my unit is GLR-IL-328
Our official name is: 328th Composite Squadron
On all correspondance and in conversation we are the 328th CSQ
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

Cecil DP

Actually, when I was with HQ MAWG, we used to refer to RIWG as the "RI Group", But we did have a very good working relationship with them and COL Bryan "Thor" Cooper
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

flyguy06

Cecil DP

Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

jb512

The RM has never seemed to have a problem with it for their units.  These days a quick google search will give you all the info you need with just the numbers.  Also, many squadrons don't use geographical names like ours, Apollo CS, and the two closest to us, Pegasus CS, and Kittinger SS.

RiverAux

Very few do not use geographical names.  Check out the organization table in a capwatch download.  Only about 50 use numbers (105th Composite Squadron, etc.).   Without counting them up exactly, I'd estimate that 10% or less of squadrons use people's names. 

riffraff

Quote from: jaybird512 on December 14, 2007, 10:44:41 PM
Also, many squadrons don't use geographical names like ours, Apollo CS, and the two closest to us, Pegasus CS, and Kittinger SS.

I'd prefer not to see anything using "SS" as a suffix. I know it implies Senior Squadron but it certainly conjures up images of those other unsavory SS guys-- the WW2 German type. I think it might be a bit of a PR problem if one starts rambling on about the virtues of the 12th SS up in Bumpkinville  :o

Gunner C

Quote from: riffraff on December 15, 2007, 02:07:54 AM
Also, many squadrons don't use geographical names like ours, Apollo CS, and the two closest to us, Pegasus CS, and Kittinger SS.

I'd prefer not to see anything using "SS" as a suffix. I know it implies Senior Squadron but it certainly conjures up images of those other unsavory SS guys-- the WW2 German type. I think it might be a bit of a PR problem if one starts rambling on about the virtues of the 12th SS up in Bumpkinville  :o

How about renaming them "XXX Operations Squadron" or something along those lines?  Perhaps "XXX Emergency Services Squadron"? (replace XXX with charter number)

SarDragon

Quote from: Gunner C on December 15, 2007, 02:26:01 AM

How about renaming them "XXX Operations Squadron" or something along those lines?  Perhaps "XXX Emergency Services Squadron"? (replace XXX with charter number)

Nope. They did away with functional unit names some time ago, and the reg specifically prohibits that style of name. WIWAC, there were many units like Umpteenth Comm Sq, or Doodlieville Aeromedical Sq.

Quote from: CAPR 20-35. How to Obtain Charters for New Units. ... The request must include:

c. A proposed name for the unit. Unit names must include the following elements:

1) Identifying prefix - a short identifier, preferably associated with location (example: Shamrock, Dayton, Hot Springs, Midville, etc.). DO NOT use names such as "Black Sheep," "Flying Tigers," etc., or terms descriptive of major functions such as "Communications," "Jeep," or "Rescue," etc.

2) Type of unit (group, cadet squadron, senior squadron, composite squadron, or flight).

3) If the unit is to be named for an individual, the unit must obtain the individual's permission prior to submitting the charter application. If the individual is deceased, permission will be obtained from the nearest living relative. A statement will be typed on the reverse side of the CAPF 27 indicating that permission has been obtained.

4) In addition to the above, the sponsoring organization (if applicable) and a numerical suffix (if needed because of similarity of names) are permitted. Examples of acceptable names are: "Red Oak Composite Squadron," "Midvale Flight," "Miami Senior Squadron No. 2," "Manhattan Group IV," and "Bay City Optimist Cadet Squadron." NOTE: National Headquarters will edit names that are too long and/or contain undesirable elements.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

lordmonar

Dave,

National has ignored that regulation for so long it is not even worth brining it up. :)

jb512

Geeze... That hasn't been used in 70 years.