4 (6.8%)
Wheel Gun
3 (5.1%)
Other
5 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 59

BigMojo

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on September 28, 2007, 11:27:46 PM
Gotta admit I have never been a fan of attachments to a handgun. I have always thought that proper training (aim, squeeze, do again) should be the mainstay of proper shooting.  a laser on the weapon isn't going to help you unless you can properly fire your weapon.

Too much stuff takes away from the basics.

With proper training However, I can see the benefits.

I totally agree with you. I never had one until I got that one as a gift. Nothing can replace good fundamentals and muscle memory. I had put close to 5000 rounds through that gun before it ever had anything attached to the rail....not to mention how many more through other guns.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

Stonewall

Being a "night cop", one who clears buildings that may or may not have electricity and one who, while on missions to developing countries where it was normal for power outages in hotels where I had my pistol, and there was a threat.  Dern skippy, I have a tac light mounted. 

The first time I drew my pistol in the line of duty was at 0300 at an armed suspect.  With my weapon pointed at him and light blinding him, he didn't know whether or not it was just me or 5 other officers.  He complied, and it was just little old me.  High risk traffic stop, you bet.  Clearing rooms, absolutely.

Even for the Air Guard, I have an insights technology adapter so I can mount a light onto my issued M9. 

I personally carry the Surefire X200 on my off-duty pistol and a the Streamlight TLR-1 on my duty pistol.

I personally think you're crazy for not having a light on your pistol.  Carrying concealed, it can be difficult, and I rarely carry a light on my G19 when concealed, but if I can, I do.

As for an IWB holster, I kid you not, I use a Uncle Mikes neoprene thing that cost <$20.  For regular conceal carry, I had an Aker pancake without thumb break.  Had a few others, but I went with Aker.  Don't forget a quality belt, also made by Aker, among other quality companies mentioned above.

The one time I always carry off duty is when I see movies.  This is also when I mount my light for sure.  When I lived in the DC area, in one year, we had 2 or 3 shootings at local theaters.  Here in FL, there's a reason why the local PD has 3, 4 and sometimes officers at the local theaters after dark.  And it's not because it's a bad area.
Serving since 1987.

Capt.karl

Go for the XD-.45 Service, I have the subcompact and it just doesnt have the accuracy as the service does. But I love the gun for what it does give me!

JC004

Good to see some other XD fans on here.   :)

dogboy

Quote from: isuhawkeye on September 27, 2007, 09:32:41 PM

I am a paramedic who has had the opportunity to work in several unique environments.  I have my CCW permit, and am in the market for a new hand gun.  I am currently torn

The experience of your cop friends isn't very relevant. They need to engage in gun battles. You are using it for self-defense.

For self-defense, I would always go with a wheel gun for simplify of operation and less maintenance. Only exception would be if you needed something very flat. A 5 shot revolver in 357 Magnum is all the self-defense power anyone could want. Practically, the 38 Special has been improved enough so that it is perfectly suitable.

Flying Pig

I dont know about that....a gun battle is self defense.

A gun battle is a gun battle.  It doesnt matter why their shooting at you.  I dont carry a wheel gun off duty, I still carry a .45 semi auto.  It all depends on how much you train.  Shooting IDPA matches Ive seen MANY civilians who would put most cops to shame.

Stonewall

Remember, what is faster, action or reaction?  Hopefully I don't have to answer that.
Serving since 1987.

dogboy

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 02, 2007, 04:34:55 PM
I dont know about that....a gun battle is self defense.

A gun battle is a gun battle.  It doesnt matter why their shooting at you.  I dont carry a wheel gun off duty, I still carry a .45 semi auto.  It all depends on how much you train.  Shooting IDPA matches Ive seen MANY civilians who would put most cops to shame.

Self-defense is not a gun battle. In using a gun in self-defense, you have a legal obligation to use as little force as necessary to protect yourself or others. Consequently, the correct strategy is shoot if you have to, then get away if you can. Or lie low and wait for LEOs.

Engage in a "gun battle" and you're likely to be charged just like the perpetrator, even if, and it's a big if, you can prove he was the perp, although with a lesser charge, like manslaughter.

Pretend to be a cop and engage in a "gun battle" and it's just as likely you'll be seen as the originator of the shooting.

It's very hard to sort out who started what when there's a gun fight. Engaging in a "gun battle" makes you seem just as likely to have started it as the perp.

Flying Pig

K_Poskey

Personally, I will do whatever it takes to protect my family and will not hesitate to open fire.
I will worry about court later in life. So basically, I am not going to try and "be easy" on a predator. If somebody is threating or is putting my family in danger( with consideration to the situation), I will not hesitate to draw my fathers Keltec .380, which he kindly taught me how to use and we carry on long trips.

REMEMBER -- I WILL CONSIDER ALL THE FACTORS BEFORE DRAWING MY WEAPON. Just wanted to clarify  that before some folks start jumping on me.

I like the Keltec .380 cause of the size...Its a very good gun to conceal. Its got some power behind the round.
--
صراخ خربشات.

Stonewall

Quote from: K_Poskey on October 05, 2007, 02:05:46 AMREMEMBER -- I WILL CONSIDER ALL THE FACTORS BEFORE DRAWING MY WEAPON.

I didn't realize there was that much time to consider all the factors before drawing your weapon.  Interesting.
Serving since 1987.

K_Poskey

I do agree....I guess you just have to think fast on your feet. Being responsible with a gun is something that we all need to learn. My father made sure to instill that into me before ever handing me a gun.
--
صراخ خربشات.

Johnny Yuma

I've yet to see a caliber or bullet duplicate the stopping power of the .357 Magnum with a Federal or Remington 125 grain semijacketed hollowpoint, but the .45 ACP comes close with a Federal 230 grain Hydrashok for stopping power and .357 SIG with a 124/125 JHP is within 100 fps of the same ballistics as the .357 Magnum.

Even with the best .357 Magnum load rated at 96% one shot stops, handgun stopping power is a myth.

If you're confident that you can hit what you're aiming at with your 9mm and carry ammo choice then IMHO I'd stay with it. A good Center of Mass hit with a 9mm trumps  a miss/gut shot/winged in the arm with anything else all day long.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

isuhawkeye

Thanks for bringing us back on topic.

I own a .357 wheel gun, and I love it.  I just find that it may not be the best carry weapon. 

Ive looked at the sig, and Glock chambered in .357

What concerns do you have about over penetration with that round

Johnny Yuma

With the 125 grain JHP it should be no more of an issue than with a .357 Magnum using the same weight bullet.

Check Brassfetcher's report on the .357 Sig using Federal 125 JHP:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/.357SIG%20125gr%20Federal%20JHP.html

compared to .357 Magnum it's not bad at all:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/357magnum130grFederalPDH.html

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Speer%20125%20grain%20Gold%20Dot%20hollowpoint.html

The .357 Sig is a .40 S&W necked down to .355, so another option is to buy a .40 caliber Sig or Glock and buy .357 Sig barrel. This option would be uber easy in Glocks as several manufacturers make aftermarket barrels. This option would allow you both calibers.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Bluelakes 13

I have a Springfield Armory 1911 SE Ultralight.  Incredible for a 45.  I am  not a big fan of shooting 45 because of the bigger recoil, but this one makes it fun.  Also have a Heckler und Koch 9mm.  My buddy shoots the 40 cal version.  I prefer the 9mm.  Not as accurate as I am with the 1911.  Also have a Ruger 10/22 rifle that I have ultra blinged.  Incredible accuracy and you never feel it being fired.

SAR-EMT1

Id go with a .40 S&W.  I know several Federales who swear by them, and personally I think they are a near perfect balance of stopping power, size and mag capacity.

On another personal note; I hate the look and feel of Glock.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SAR-EMT1

After commenting on my choice above I do have one other thing to say...

Im just kind of curious as to how exactly you are gettig away with this...
I mean, a medic carrying a sidearm while on duty?
I hope to hell I never get in a rig with a gun. MACE, maybe but a sidearm? Too much chance of a problem, or hitting my partner, or the O2.

-- The one exception is if you are a tactical medic assigned to SWAT, and that being the only time you carry. --

Ive been able to diffuse situations merely because I wasnt armed.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

isuhawkeye

Lol,

I don't carry on the ambulance. 

I have been fortunate enough to work with a few different tactical and lea agencies over the years. 

the line gets fuzzy from time to time, but each job, and duty assignment determines what type, and to what level of equipment I carry.

Carry, or dont
ALS, BLS, ILS etc depending on the needs of the day

isuhawkeye

Well everyone,

Thank you for the input.  I appreciate the discussion. 

May I introduce my new buddy