Wheel Gun
3 (5.1%)
Other
5 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Stonewall

Quote from: Becks on September 28, 2007, 12:59:34 AM
Yeah..seems I get the answer "Glock!"  "Why?"  "because its a glock!" 
Sorry but thats just not a viable answer nor reason.  I want actual info.

I have shot thousands of rounds through Glocks.  Don't recall a single malfunction.

I have shot thousands of rounds through Sigs.  Don't recall a single malfunction.

I have shot thousands of rounds through Berettas.  At least 3 malfunctions (thank God for eye protection)

Shot a Ruger once, once.  First 5 rounds and I had a double feed, twice.

I selected Glock on your poll.  In addition to carrying around the world, owning, being issued a Glock, Sig, and Berreta, I've shot HK, Rugers, Springfield, Kimbers, Colts, S&W.  All felt good, some shot better than others, but I trust my life with Glock and Sig.  Beretta, I trust because I have to.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: isuhawkeye on September 27, 2007, 09:32:41 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with CAP, but pleas humor me. 

It has become clear that there are a few individuals on this board with the knowledge and experience to dive into this discussion. 

I am a paramedic who has had the opportunity to work in several unique environments.  I have my CCW permit, and am in the market for a new hand gun.  I am currently torn

On one hand my DOD, and DOE co workers tell me to go big or go home.  They swear up and down that .45 is the only way to go, and the 1911 frame is the standard.  As a group that have minimal concern about the 8+1 limitations of the single stack.

On the other hand My LEA, ICE, and other federal type cop friends have mostly graduated to the .40 with a 12 round mag.  They like the velocity of the 40, while maintaining some hit power.  Their argument is that the increased mag capacity is the drive. 

Considering that I want to carry this thing concealed (Im a big guy, and it would be under a blazer most of the time), and occasionally on a tac rig. 

What are your thoughts?

I have large hands, so carrying a double stacked .45 is quite comfortable.  If you want a .45, 1911 style frame with high capacity, I'd recommend a Para Ordinance with mag extensions.  I get the best of all worlds with 15+1 capacity with the 1911 frame...  Wouldn't trade it for the world.

jb512

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on September 28, 2007, 01:00:56 AM
Glock = Tactical Tupperware

According to a Deputy Sheriff I know

Or, Glock = dishwasher safe.

Trung Si Ma

What I carry depends on where I'm going, what I'm wearing, and what is available.

For years, the only gun for me was the 1911, usually in .45 or 10mm.  Then a series of law suits led me to examine my carry choice of a single action, cocked and locked, M1911 through the prism of a non-shooting jury.  I decided, personally, that I needed to be carrying a double action first round gun.  Being left-handed, the very excellent Sig family was immediately eliminated.  I looked at - and shot - a lot of guns and ended up with the H&K USPC in .45 or 9mm.  Why both?  One very good friend that I travel with frequently carries a .45 and the other likes his 9mm.  I carried the common caliber.

Then I got the chance to spend some serious range time with an H&K P7M8 (9mm) and fell seriously in love with this little, very accurate, unique pistol.  I tried the P10 (.40) and did not like the feel.  Same thing with the P7M13 (more bullets).  Been shooting the P7M8 for the past two years and carry it all of the time that I am not on a federal installation.  And, if you don't know its special manual of arms, its just a paperweight.

Whatever you're going to carry - practice, practice, practice.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Flying Pig

I have to say something about "knock down power".  When it comes to a pistol cartridge, its a myth.  Its about shot placement.  Hit a vital organ or something with nerves in it. The body is a mass of fluid held together by a big plastic bag.  Bones break easliy when hit by bullets and shatter.  People arent knocked down by pistol bellets.

I shot a guy once in the chest and once in the throat, and he stood for what seemed like an eternity staring at me before he slowly fell to his knees then onto his face.  Both rounds penetrated and hit a wall behind him.  I was shooting Speer Gold dot ammo which is designed NOT to over penetrate.  From that point on, you can have "knock down power".  Its simple physics.....To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  Shoot what you shoot best with.  If it really is causing a problem with your team then make the change and learn to shoot well with your new rig.
I have been in a street shooting with a Glock 22, a Sig P220 and a S&W TSW .45.  There was something about having 16 rounds available in the Glock that was very comforting in a way I cannot explain.

I really like higher capacity magazines simply because of your time on target.  You can keep laying them down if you need to.  Either that or you better become very fast with speed reloads in any configuration you can imagine.  My first shooting was on my back shooting, trying to stand myself back up after tripping over a parking curb.  Yeah, I was the screaming girl in the horror movie who trips while zombie is chasing her.  It wasnt as glorious as I'd imagined it would be, but I guess Im still here.

If I could pick one......a Glock 22

Stonewall

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on September 28, 2007, 03:26:48 AM
Whatever you're going to carry - practice, practice, practice.

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 28, 2007, 06:02:40 AM
I have to say something about "knock down power".  When it comes to a pistol cartridge, its a myth.  Its about shot placement.  Hit a vital organ or something with nerves in it. The body is a mass of fluid held together by a big plastic bag.  Bones break easliy when hit by bullets and shatter.  People arent knocked down by pistol bellets.

This is what I believe as well.  Like I said, I carry 9mm.  If I cared to buy a new pistol, I'd go with a G23.  If I weren't carrying concealed, I'd go with a G22.  I truly believe in shot placement and round capacity, so I think a 9mm suits me fine.  But honestly, something about the .40 cal just reassures me.  But until I buy a new fence, a new gun safe, new floors and a few other things, I'll be happy with my 9mm.
Serving since 1987.

Lancer

I'm not a LEO but I do carry a Glock 19. I did a lot of research and between cost and performance this was my choice. I would have probably gone with a Sig if I could have afforded it though.

Caliber doesn't mean scheiße if you can't hit what your shooting at! It's practice, practice, practice. And when you done practicing, go practice some more. Seriously. There are plenty of firearms instructors where you can find many classes in tactical shooting, various scenarios. Again caliber is not going to mean a thing if you can't hit your target. Center of Mass will get drilled into your head too by any instructor you learn from.

Something else to consider. How are you going to carry? IWB is my method of choice. I use a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. rig for this as all the reviews I've read pointed me there; and they were right. Adjustable cant, very nice, comfortable too.

I also carry a Kel-Tec P32 in a De Santis 'Sting' (extra mag capacity) both loaded with frangable rounds, kept in my front pocket. Sometimes I forget it's there. It's nice when I'm dressing 'light'.

One last piece of advice before you buy. Find a local gun shop/range that rents what it sells so you can 'try out' what your thinking about. This will do a lot in reducing regret after the sale.

Oh, and one of my favorite gun forums out there is http://www.glocktalk.com. Although the focus is Glock, they also talk about other manufacturers. Great Site.

JC004

Quote from: Lancer on September 28, 2007, 12:51:43 PM
I also carry a Kel-Tec P32 in a De Santis 'Sting' (extra mag capacity) both loaded with frangable rounds, kept in my front pocket. Sometimes I forget it's there. It's nice when I'm dressing 'light'.

One last piece of advice before you buy. Find a local gun shop/range that rents what it sells so you can 'try out' what your thinking about. This will do a lot in reducing regret after the sale.

Oh, and one of my favorite gun forums out there is http://www.glocktalk.com. Although the focus is Glock, they also talk about other manufacturers. Great Site.

DeSantis is decent holsters, btw.

of course, http://www.xdtalk.com/ is a better site than glocktalk, but still...   ;)

isuhawkeye

Guys this has been great. 

My next question is this.

When carrying concealed what holster system do you use,

Please provide a link when available.

JC004

DeSantis Dual Carry at the moment.  (PA is an open carry state too)

I'm looking at some others for future use

Psicorp

I had a CCW when I lived in Alabama, and plan on getting on here in Michigan within the next 6 months. 

So far I've owned:

Taurus 85 ultralight .38
Taurus PT111 9mm
Star Firestar 9mm
and recently bought a CZ 75 Compact 9mm

I never had a problem with any of those, but of those four the Firestar and the CZ are by far the best guns I've ever fired.

Before I purchased my first semi-auto I looked carefully at the caliber debate and read a lot of articles and ballistic gel test results and found that a good self defense round in 9mm performs just as well as a .40.  Speer Gold Dots seem to work great.

I've always thought that the 1911 frames were a tad too big for my hand and a bit more difficult to conceal well, not to mention that it gets expensive to shoot a .45 if you go to the range as often as I do. 

Mike, the FNH guns are pretty good, came close to getting a Hi Power a few times (both FN and Browning), but discovered that pesky hammer bite.  If you're looking at a Hi Power, take a look at the CZ 75 before you decide.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Desert Dawg

I am a retired LEO and master class IPSC shooter, and NRA and CCW Instructor  I carried a 1911 in 45 acp for many years.  That said I now carry a Sig 229 R DAK or an H&K P7M13.  My suggestion is that you go to a gun store and get a feel for any of the good quality guns.  Get one that feels good in your hand. As far as calibre they all work well.  What ever you buy practice a lot with it.  It doesn't matter what calibre you carry if you cant hit the target with it.  Of course if you carry a 40mm grenade launcher your aim could be off a little! ;D
Ken Smith, Major. CAP
Tucson, Az

Lancer

Flying Pig

Check in your area to see if they hold IDPA matches.  They are open to the public and are EXCELLENT.  They are usually held once per month.  They are shooting comps that are done with everything concealed.  Im sure Desert Dawg can vouch for them being an IPSC shooter.   Id like to see a picture of the gun you used for your matches.

www.idpa.com

BigMojo

+1 on IDPA it is good practical training and a lot of fun too.

As I said in my first post, give the XD a chance. Try one. I carry one and one lives in the nightstand (With the Streamlight Flashlight/Laser that I was given as a gift, neat toy)

Here's a couple more resources

Great Forum: www.xdtalk.com
The Place to go to Upgrade an XD: http://www.pistolgear.com/ (Get the Don's Guide Rod and Spring!)
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

isuhawkeye

OK guys one nmore, then were done.

To rail, or not to rail???

Is it worh the energy and effort to gwt a side arm with a rail on it?

If so, what accessory do you add?

Flying Pig

Yes.  Get one with a rail.  There is nothing better then shooting with a Tac light mounted.  Ahhh...the freedom!!!

Its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  Before I could suggest what to get, Id have to know what gun your looking at.  You cant go wrong with a SureFire on any gun, but there are other lights out there depending in the frame.

BigMojo

Here's mine...

Tac light/laser. It's actually very accurate.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

CadetProgramGuy

Gotta admit I have never been a fan of attachments to a handgun. I have always thought that proper training (aim, squeeze, do again) should be the mainstay of proper shooting.  a laser on the weapon isn't going to help you unless you can properly fire your weapon.

Too much stuff takes away from the basics.

With proper training However, I can see the benefits.

JCJ

Quote from: Becks on September 28, 2007, 12:59:34 AM
Yeah..seems I get the answer "Glock!"  "Why?"  "because its a glock!" 
Sorry but thats just not a viable answer nor reason.  I want actual info.

Becasue if there's a round in the chamber and you pull the trigger, it goes "bang" and a bullet comes out.

Pretty much every single time.

Also very simple to shoot, take apart, clean, put back together.

I think you have to add some credibility to it being one of the most popular sidearms for US LE agencies today.