S&W M+P
4 (6.8%)
Wheel Gun
3 (5.1%)
Other
5 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 59

isuhawkeye

This has absolutely nothing to do with CAP, but pleas humor me. 

It has become clear that there are a few individuals on this board with the knowledge and experience to dive into this discussion. 

I am a paramedic who has had the opportunity to work in several unique environments.  I have my CCW permit, and am in the market for a new hand gun.  I am currently torn

On one hand my DOD, and DOE co workers tell me to go big or go home.  They swear up and down that .45 is the only way to go, and the 1911 frame is the standard.  As a group that have minimal concern about the 8+1 limitations of the single stack.

On the other hand My LEA, ICE, and other federal type cop friends have mostly graduated to the .40 with a 12 round mag.  They like the velocity of the 40, while maintaining some hit power.  Their argument is that the increased mag capacity is the drive. 

Considering that I want to carry this thing concealed (Im a big guy, and it would be under a blazer most of the time), and occasionally on a tac rig. 

What are your thoughts?

DrJbdm

I'm a police officer, I personally carry a Glock 27 for just the purpose you described. I also carry a glock 23. both are .40 calibre.

If you want performance and accuracy right out of the box it is almost impossible to beat a Glock. Even most experts agree, you just can't beat the performance of a Glock.

Now Glock does make a high capacity .45 as well, both in compact and subcompact models. That may be an option if you are sold on the knock down power of a .45

either way you can't go wrong. If you are going to carry concelled, do yourself a favor a get a weapon that does that job very well. Yes it is possible to carry a compact weapon like the Glock 23 or a 1911 or some other compact duty weapon concelled, but it just isn't going to offer the best ability for that job.

Just my opinion.

Flying Pig

I carry the S&W TSW .45 (By dept policy)  I am a huge fan of the 1911 though.  Personally, I like the high capacity of the Glock 22 I used to carry.  Unfortunately, my dept doesnt share that view.  After 3 shootings, I can tell you that high cap is nice because you can go through 8 rounds before you realize you are even shooting.

Look at the H&K USP compact .45.

If were talking about your career, and your teammates are telling you they want you carrying the 1911....then Id say go with the 1911.  Are they really telling you to "go home" or is that a joke?

Skyray

I burned close to thirty thousand caps courtesy of the Marine Corps firing team, mostly in the 1911 A1 and the .38 Special.  My .38 groups were a lot tighter than the .45 groups, and the Gunny told me it was because the .45 had a floating barrel and couldn't be accurized.  Given that, the .45 had a lot more knock down power, so if you hit him in the hand, he went down.  As for magazine size, make the first beans count, and you don't need to go up to ten or twelve unless you get in an extended gun battle.  On more modern guns, I like almost any of the Glocks.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

BigMojo

I carry a Springfield XD. I like the .40 as well. It's a great gun, and with a couple easy mods, it's phenomenal (replacement guide rod, stronger spring, etc...). It's light, easy to conceal, and I personally sold my glock because I wasn't shooting or carrying it anymore. I believe they make a .45ACP as well.

Just my $0.02
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

CadetProgramGuy

It has been a while since I carried but when I did I carried the SIG 226 and 227.  I have also carried the Glock as well.

As far as go Big or Go home, I am partial to the 9MM personally, but I also take pride in accuracy so I don;t have to carry a bigger bore.

The .40 and .45 are great for stopping power and the pther posts are very accurate.  Hit someone or somthing with a .40 or .45 they will know it.

If you have any interesting projects that you need help with give me a buzz.

Stonewall

Been a gun toter for many years in the performance of my job.  5 of those years were spent carrying in plain clothes on a protection detail.  We carried the Sig Sauer 229 with .357 Sig rounds.  New boss came in and we went back to 9mm with the same weapon frame.  I liked it a lot.  I shot very well with it and after some demonstrations with the .357 Sig round, I was sold that it's the "perfect round", especially when shooting into or out of car windshields/windows.  Not sure how often you'll have to do that, but we trained that way on occasion.

With all that, I carry a Glock 19 (9mm) off duty.  I also carry a Glock 26 (9mm) depending on what I'm wearing.  The 26 is the exact same size as the 27 but in 9mm vs 40 cal.

I love several different handguns, to include Sig and Glock.  In the Air Guard, I carry an M9 Beretta.  I'm a good shooter with all frames.  Why?  Because of training.  In DC, I shot all_the_friggin_time.  Several times a month.  And not just going to the range, but practical shooting scenarios and training.  We'd shoot with other agents shooting shoulder to shoulder.  We'd shoot while another guy would be cappin' off 5.56 continuously on 3-round burst......yadda yadda yadda.

After talking to some real shooters and reading a few things, I'd probably go with a .40 cal.  9mm, .357 Sig, .45, .38, and .22 calibres all kill people.  But you want reassurance, right?  Training, speed, and shot group.  That's your best asset.

My suggestion, go for a Glock 27 or 23.  I only carry 9mm because that's whay I bought a few years ago.  Ammo is cheaper too.  I carry +P+ rounds for added stopping power.

+1 for Glock.
Serving since 1987.

RocketPropelled

+1 on the Springfield.

I carry an XD-9 subcompact when need be, and I also have the XD-45 Compact for the vehicle/nightstand.  My hands are on the smallish side, so the XD fits them well, without the more extreme grip angle of the Glock.

The XD series has a lot of the same characteristics of the Glocks, if you're into those, give the Springfields a chance too.

Both are excellent, accurate, and easy to live with.

SoCalCAPOfficer

I too have a CCW and I carry either a 9mm Taurus or a snub nose 38 special.  I also am thinking about going to a .45 probably another Taurus.   I love the 1911, however, in our county you cannot carry a 1911 because it is single action and the county sheriffs cannot carry them, therefore CCW holders cannot carry them either.   In fact our county also limits how small a caliber you can carry.  Nothing less than a .32.   Which keeps me from carrying the nice little .22 mag derringer I used to love to keep in my pocket.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

Major Lord

I carry a Strayer Voight Infinity for serious work, a hi-cap 1911 style pistol in .40 Cal. Nothing beats a single action auto for accuracy. It is not exactly ideal for concealment, but it there is a chance that you will really need it, you will thank God for the rounds and the ability to deliver them where they are most needed. Back-up gun is Kahr K-40. If you don't want to spend 3000.00 for a pistol, look seriously at the Kimber 1911's.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Becks

Ive been toying between the XD 40 and Glock 23...thoughts?

BBATW

JC004

Buy a Springfield XD in .40 S&W (Service or Subcompact), or the .45 ACP Compact.  You will never look back. 

Try one.  You will like it.  For the average price, you can't beat it.

ADCAPer

Glock 36.

.45ACP and it's just over an inch wide.

JCJ

Quote from: Becks on September 28, 2007, 12:24:43 AM
Ive been toying between the XD 40 and Glock 23...thoughts?

Glock 23

great pistol

Becks

Yeah..seems I get the answer "Glock!"  "Why?"  "because its a glock!" 
Sorry but thats just not a viable answer nor reason.  I want actual info.

BBATW

CadetProgramGuy

Glock = Tactical Tupperware

According to a Deputy Sheriff I know

JC004

Quote from: Becks on September 28, 2007, 12:59:34 AM

Glocks have a brand following like Starbucks and the like.  Personally, I'd rather have Peet's than Starbucks, though.   :)

isuhawkeye

With the success of our other thread I needed a way to compile the data.  Please vote, and comment.

Moderators please merge the two threads

MIKE

Anyone have any experience with handguns made by FNH... Other than the Five-seveN.
Mike Johnston

Stonewall

I have shot thousands of rounds through Glocks.  Don't recall a single malfunction.

I have shot thousands of rounds through Sigs.  Don't recall a single malfunction.

I have shot thousands of rounds through Berettas.  At least 3 malfunctions (thank God for eye protection)

Shot a Ruger once, once.  First 5 rounds and I had a double feed, twice.

I selected Glock on your poll.  In addition to carrying around the world, owning, being issued a Glock, Sig, and Berreta, I've shot HK, Rugers, Springfield, Kimbers, Colts, S&W.  All felt good, some shot better than others, but I trust my life with Glock and Sig.  Beretta, I trust because I have to.
Serving since 1987.

jb512

Quote from: isuhawkeye on September 27, 2007, 09:32:41 PM
This has absolutely nothing to do with CAP, but pleas humor me. 

It has become clear that there are a few individuals on this board with the knowledge and experience to dive into this discussion. 

I am a paramedic who has had the opportunity to work in several unique environments.  I have my CCW permit, and am in the market for a new hand gun.  I am currently torn

On one hand my DOD, and DOE co workers tell me to go big or go home.  They swear up and down that .45 is the only way to go, and the 1911 frame is the standard.  As a group that have minimal concern about the 8+1 limitations of the single stack.

On the other hand My LEA, ICE, and other federal type cop friends have mostly graduated to the .40 with a 12 round mag.  They like the velocity of the 40, while maintaining some hit power.  Their argument is that the increased mag capacity is the drive. 

Considering that I want to carry this thing concealed (Im a big guy, and it would be under a blazer most of the time), and occasionally on a tac rig. 

What are your thoughts?

I have large hands, so carrying a double stacked .45 is quite comfortable.  If you want a .45, 1911 style frame with high capacity, I'd recommend a Para Ordinance with mag extensions.  I get the best of all worlds with 15+1 capacity with the 1911 frame...  Wouldn't trade it for the world.

jb512

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on September 28, 2007, 01:00:56 AM
Glock = Tactical Tupperware

According to a Deputy Sheriff I know

Or, Glock = dishwasher safe.

Trung Si Ma

What I carry depends on where I'm going, what I'm wearing, and what is available.

For years, the only gun for me was the 1911, usually in .45 or 10mm.  Then a series of law suits led me to examine my carry choice of a single action, cocked and locked, M1911 through the prism of a non-shooting jury.  I decided, personally, that I needed to be carrying a double action first round gun.  Being left-handed, the very excellent Sig family was immediately eliminated.  I looked at - and shot - a lot of guns and ended up with the H&K USPC in .45 or 9mm.  Why both?  One very good friend that I travel with frequently carries a .45 and the other likes his 9mm.  I carried the common caliber.

Then I got the chance to spend some serious range time with an H&K P7M8 (9mm) and fell seriously in love with this little, very accurate, unique pistol.  I tried the P10 (.40) and did not like the feel.  Same thing with the P7M13 (more bullets).  Been shooting the P7M8 for the past two years and carry it all of the time that I am not on a federal installation.  And, if you don't know its special manual of arms, its just a paperweight.

Whatever you're going to carry - practice, practice, practice.
Freedom isn't free - I paid for it

Flying Pig

I have to say something about "knock down power".  When it comes to a pistol cartridge, its a myth.  Its about shot placement.  Hit a vital organ or something with nerves in it. The body is a mass of fluid held together by a big plastic bag.  Bones break easliy when hit by bullets and shatter.  People arent knocked down by pistol bellets.

I shot a guy once in the chest and once in the throat, and he stood for what seemed like an eternity staring at me before he slowly fell to his knees then onto his face.  Both rounds penetrated and hit a wall behind him.  I was shooting Speer Gold dot ammo which is designed NOT to over penetrate.  From that point on, you can have "knock down power".  Its simple physics.....To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.  Shoot what you shoot best with.  If it really is causing a problem with your team then make the change and learn to shoot well with your new rig.
I have been in a street shooting with a Glock 22, a Sig P220 and a S&W TSW .45.  There was something about having 16 rounds available in the Glock that was very comforting in a way I cannot explain.

I really like higher capacity magazines simply because of your time on target.  You can keep laying them down if you need to.  Either that or you better become very fast with speed reloads in any configuration you can imagine.  My first shooting was on my back shooting, trying to stand myself back up after tripping over a parking curb.  Yeah, I was the screaming girl in the horror movie who trips while zombie is chasing her.  It wasnt as glorious as I'd imagined it would be, but I guess Im still here.

If I could pick one......a Glock 22

Stonewall

Quote from: Trung Si Ma on September 28, 2007, 03:26:48 AM
Whatever you're going to carry - practice, practice, practice.

Quote from: Flying Pig on September 28, 2007, 06:02:40 AM
I have to say something about "knock down power".  When it comes to a pistol cartridge, its a myth.  Its about shot placement.  Hit a vital organ or something with nerves in it. The body is a mass of fluid held together by a big plastic bag.  Bones break easliy when hit by bullets and shatter.  People arent knocked down by pistol bellets.

This is what I believe as well.  Like I said, I carry 9mm.  If I cared to buy a new pistol, I'd go with a G23.  If I weren't carrying concealed, I'd go with a G22.  I truly believe in shot placement and round capacity, so I think a 9mm suits me fine.  But honestly, something about the .40 cal just reassures me.  But until I buy a new fence, a new gun safe, new floors and a few other things, I'll be happy with my 9mm.
Serving since 1987.

Lancer

I'm not a LEO but I do carry a Glock 19. I did a lot of research and between cost and performance this was my choice. I would have probably gone with a Sig if I could have afforded it though.

Caliber doesn't mean scheiße if you can't hit what your shooting at! It's practice, practice, practice. And when you done practicing, go practice some more. Seriously. There are plenty of firearms instructors where you can find many classes in tactical shooting, various scenarios. Again caliber is not going to mean a thing if you can't hit your target. Center of Mass will get drilled into your head too by any instructor you learn from.

Something else to consider. How are you going to carry? IWB is my method of choice. I use a Comp-Tac C.T.A.C. rig for this as all the reviews I've read pointed me there; and they were right. Adjustable cant, very nice, comfortable too.

I also carry a Kel-Tec P32 in a De Santis 'Sting' (extra mag capacity) both loaded with frangable rounds, kept in my front pocket. Sometimes I forget it's there. It's nice when I'm dressing 'light'.

One last piece of advice before you buy. Find a local gun shop/range that rents what it sells so you can 'try out' what your thinking about. This will do a lot in reducing regret after the sale.

Oh, and one of my favorite gun forums out there is http://www.glocktalk.com. Although the focus is Glock, they also talk about other manufacturers. Great Site.

JC004

Quote from: Lancer on September 28, 2007, 12:51:43 PM
I also carry a Kel-Tec P32 in a De Santis 'Sting' (extra mag capacity) both loaded with frangable rounds, kept in my front pocket. Sometimes I forget it's there. It's nice when I'm dressing 'light'.

One last piece of advice before you buy. Find a local gun shop/range that rents what it sells so you can 'try out' what your thinking about. This will do a lot in reducing regret after the sale.

Oh, and one of my favorite gun forums out there is http://www.glocktalk.com. Although the focus is Glock, they also talk about other manufacturers. Great Site.

DeSantis is decent holsters, btw.

of course, http://www.xdtalk.com/ is a better site than glocktalk, but still...   ;)

isuhawkeye

Guys this has been great. 

My next question is this.

When carrying concealed what holster system do you use,

Please provide a link when available.

JC004

DeSantis Dual Carry at the moment.  (PA is an open carry state too)

I'm looking at some others for future use

Psicorp

I had a CCW when I lived in Alabama, and plan on getting on here in Michigan within the next 6 months. 

So far I've owned:

Taurus 85 ultralight .38
Taurus PT111 9mm
Star Firestar 9mm
and recently bought a CZ 75 Compact 9mm

I never had a problem with any of those, but of those four the Firestar and the CZ are by far the best guns I've ever fired.

Before I purchased my first semi-auto I looked carefully at the caliber debate and read a lot of articles and ballistic gel test results and found that a good self defense round in 9mm performs just as well as a .40.  Speer Gold Dots seem to work great.

I've always thought that the 1911 frames were a tad too big for my hand and a bit more difficult to conceal well, not to mention that it gets expensive to shoot a .45 if you go to the range as often as I do. 

Mike, the FNH guns are pretty good, came close to getting a Hi Power a few times (both FN and Browning), but discovered that pesky hammer bite.  If you're looking at a Hi Power, take a look at the CZ 75 before you decide.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Desert Dawg

I am a retired LEO and master class IPSC shooter, and NRA and CCW Instructor  I carried a 1911 in 45 acp for many years.  That said I now carry a Sig 229 R DAK or an H&K P7M13.  My suggestion is that you go to a gun store and get a feel for any of the good quality guns.  Get one that feels good in your hand. As far as calibre they all work well.  What ever you buy practice a lot with it.  It doesn't matter what calibre you carry if you cant hit the target with it.  Of course if you carry a 40mm grenade launcher your aim could be off a little! ;D
Ken Smith, Major. CAP
Tucson, Az

Lancer

Flying Pig

Check in your area to see if they hold IDPA matches.  They are open to the public and are EXCELLENT.  They are usually held once per month.  They are shooting comps that are done with everything concealed.  Im sure Desert Dawg can vouch for them being an IPSC shooter.   Id like to see a picture of the gun you used for your matches.

www.idpa.com

BigMojo

+1 on IDPA it is good practical training and a lot of fun too.

As I said in my first post, give the XD a chance. Try one. I carry one and one lives in the nightstand (With the Streamlight Flashlight/Laser that I was given as a gift, neat toy)

Here's a couple more resources

Great Forum: www.xdtalk.com
The Place to go to Upgrade an XD: http://www.pistolgear.com/ (Get the Don's Guide Rod and Spring!)
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

isuhawkeye

OK guys one nmore, then were done.

To rail, or not to rail???

Is it worh the energy and effort to gwt a side arm with a rail on it?

If so, what accessory do you add?

Flying Pig

Yes.  Get one with a rail.  There is nothing better then shooting with a Tac light mounted.  Ahhh...the freedom!!!

Its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  Before I could suggest what to get, Id have to know what gun your looking at.  You cant go wrong with a SureFire on any gun, but there are other lights out there depending in the frame.

BigMojo

Here's mine...

Tac light/laser. It's actually very accurate.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

CadetProgramGuy

Gotta admit I have never been a fan of attachments to a handgun. I have always thought that proper training (aim, squeeze, do again) should be the mainstay of proper shooting.  a laser on the weapon isn't going to help you unless you can properly fire your weapon.

Too much stuff takes away from the basics.

With proper training However, I can see the benefits.

JCJ

Becasue if there's a round in the chamber and you pull the trigger, it goes "bang" and a bullet comes out.

Pretty much every single time.

Also very simple to shoot, take apart, clean, put back together.

I think you have to add some credibility to it being one of the most popular sidearms for US LE agencies today.

BigMojo

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on September 28, 2007, 11:27:46 PM
Gotta admit I have never been a fan of attachments to a handgun. I have always thought that proper training (aim, squeeze, do again) should be the mainstay of proper shooting.  a laser on the weapon isn't going to help you unless you can properly fire your weapon.

Too much stuff takes away from the basics.

With proper training However, I can see the benefits.

I totally agree with you. I never had one until I got that one as a gift. Nothing can replace good fundamentals and muscle memory. I had put close to 5000 rounds through that gun before it ever had anything attached to the rail....not to mention how many more through other guns.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

Stonewall

Being a "night cop", one who clears buildings that may or may not have electricity and one who, while on missions to developing countries where it was normal for power outages in hotels where I had my pistol, and there was a threat.  Dern skippy, I have a tac light mounted. 

The first time I drew my pistol in the line of duty was at 0300 at an armed suspect.  With my weapon pointed at him and light blinding him, he didn't know whether or not it was just me or 5 other officers.  He complied, and it was just little old me.  High risk traffic stop, you bet.  Clearing rooms, absolutely.

Even for the Air Guard, I have an insights technology adapter so I can mount a light onto my issued M9. 

I personally carry the Surefire X200 on my off-duty pistol and a the Streamlight TLR-1 on my duty pistol.

I personally think you're crazy for not having a light on your pistol.  Carrying concealed, it can be difficult, and I rarely carry a light on my G19 when concealed, but if I can, I do.

As for an IWB holster, I kid you not, I use a Uncle Mikes neoprene thing that cost <$20.  For regular conceal carry, I had an Aker pancake without thumb break.  Had a few others, but I went with Aker.  Don't forget a quality belt, also made by Aker, among other quality companies mentioned above.

The one time I always carry off duty is when I see movies.  This is also when I mount my light for sure.  When I lived in the DC area, in one year, we had 2 or 3 shootings at local theaters.  Here in FL, there's a reason why the local PD has 3, 4 and sometimes officers at the local theaters after dark.  And it's not because it's a bad area.
Serving since 1987.

Capt.karl

Go for the XD-.45 Service, I have the subcompact and it just doesnt have the accuracy as the service does. But I love the gun for what it does give me!

JC004

Good to see some other XD fans on here.   :)

dogboy

Quote from: isuhawkeye on September 27, 2007, 09:32:41 PM

The experience of your cop friends isn't very relevant. They need to engage in gun battles. You are using it for self-defense.

For self-defense, I would always go with a wheel gun for simplify of operation and less maintenance. Only exception would be if you needed something very flat. A 5 shot revolver in 357 Magnum is all the self-defense power anyone could want. Practically, the 38 Special has been improved enough so that it is perfectly suitable.

Flying Pig

I dont know about that....a gun battle is self defense.

A gun battle is a gun battle.  It doesnt matter why their shooting at you.  I dont carry a wheel gun off duty, I still carry a .45 semi auto.  It all depends on how much you train.  Shooting IDPA matches Ive seen MANY civilians who would put most cops to shame.

Stonewall

Remember, what is faster, action or reaction?  Hopefully I don't have to answer that.
Serving since 1987.

dogboy

Quote from: Flying Pig on October 02, 2007, 04:34:55 PM
I dont know about that....a gun battle is self defense.

A gun battle is a gun battle.  It doesnt matter why their shooting at you.  I dont carry a wheel gun off duty, I still carry a .45 semi auto.  It all depends on how much you train.  Shooting IDPA matches Ive seen MANY civilians who would put most cops to shame.

Self-defense is not a gun battle. In using a gun in self-defense, you have a legal obligation to use as little force as necessary to protect yourself or others. Consequently, the correct strategy is shoot if you have to, then get away if you can. Or lie low and wait for LEOs.

Engage in a "gun battle" and you're likely to be charged just like the perpetrator, even if, and it's a big if, you can prove he was the perp, although with a lesser charge, like manslaughter.

Pretend to be a cop and engage in a "gun battle" and it's just as likely you'll be seen as the originator of the shooting.

It's very hard to sort out who started what when there's a gun fight. Engaging in a "gun battle" makes you seem just as likely to have started it as the perp.

Flying Pig

K_Poskey

Personally, I will do whatever it takes to protect my family and will not hesitate to open fire.
I will worry about court later in life. So basically, I am not going to try and "be easy" on a predator. If somebody is threating or is putting my family in danger( with consideration to the situation), I will not hesitate to draw my fathers Keltec .380, which he kindly taught me how to use and we carry on long trips.

REMEMBER -- I WILL CONSIDER ALL THE FACTORS BEFORE DRAWING MY WEAPON. Just wanted to clarify  that before some folks start jumping on me.

I like the Keltec .380 cause of the size...Its a very good gun to conceal. Its got some power behind the round.
--
صراخ خربشات.

Stonewall

Quote from: K_Poskey on October 05, 2007, 02:05:46 AMREMEMBER -- I WILL CONSIDER ALL THE FACTORS BEFORE DRAWING MY WEAPON.

I didn't realize there was that much time to consider all the factors before drawing your weapon.  Interesting.
Serving since 1987.

K_Poskey

I do agree....I guess you just have to think fast on your feet. Being responsible with a gun is something that we all need to learn. My father made sure to instill that into me before ever handing me a gun.
--
صراخ خربشات.

Johnny Yuma

I've yet to see a caliber or bullet duplicate the stopping power of the .357 Magnum with a Federal or Remington 125 grain semijacketed hollowpoint, but the .45 ACP comes close with a Federal 230 grain Hydrashok for stopping power and .357 SIG with a 124/125 JHP is within 100 fps of the same ballistics as the .357 Magnum.

Even with the best .357 Magnum load rated at 96% one shot stops, handgun stopping power is a myth.

If you're confident that you can hit what you're aiming at with your 9mm and carry ammo choice then IMHO I'd stay with it. A good Center of Mass hit with a 9mm trumps  a miss/gut shot/winged in the arm with anything else all day long.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

isuhawkeye

Thanks for bringing us back on topic.

I own a .357 wheel gun, and I love it.  I just find that it may not be the best carry weapon. 

Ive looked at the sig, and Glock chambered in .357

What concerns do you have about over penetration with that round

Johnny Yuma

With the 125 grain JHP it should be no more of an issue than with a .357 Magnum using the same weight bullet.

Check Brassfetcher's report on the .357 Sig using Federal 125 JHP:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/.357SIG%20125gr%20Federal%20JHP.html

compared to .357 Magnum it's not bad at all:

http://www.brassfetcher.com/357magnum130grFederalPDH.html

http://www.brassfetcher.com/Speer%20125%20grain%20Gold%20Dot%20hollowpoint.html

The .357 Sig is a .40 S&W necked down to .355, so another option is to buy a .40 caliber Sig or Glock and buy .357 Sig barrel. This option would be uber easy in Glocks as several manufacturers make aftermarket barrels. This option would allow you both calibers.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Bluelakes 13

I have a Springfield Armory 1911 SE Ultralight.  Incredible for a 45.  I am  not a big fan of shooting 45 because of the bigger recoil, but this one makes it fun.  Also have a Heckler und Koch 9mm.  My buddy shoots the 40 cal version.  I prefer the 9mm.  Not as accurate as I am with the 1911.  Also have a Ruger 10/22 rifle that I have ultra blinged.  Incredible accuracy and you never feel it being fired.

SAR-EMT1

Id go with a .40 S&W.  I know several Federales who swear by them, and personally I think they are a near perfect balance of stopping power, size and mag capacity.

On another personal note; I hate the look and feel of Glock.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

SAR-EMT1

After commenting on my choice above I do have one other thing to say...

Im just kind of curious as to how exactly you are gettig away with this...
I mean, a medic carrying a sidearm while on duty?
I hope to hell I never get in a rig with a gun. MACE, maybe but a sidearm? Too much chance of a problem, or hitting my partner, or the O2.

-- The one exception is if you are a tactical medic assigned to SWAT, and that being the only time you carry. --

Ive been able to diffuse situations merely because I wasnt armed.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

isuhawkeye

Lol,

I don't carry on the ambulance. 

I have been fortunate enough to work with a few different tactical and lea agencies over the years. 

the line gets fuzzy from time to time, but each job, and duty assignment determines what type, and to what level of equipment I carry.

Carry, or dont
ALS, BLS, ILS etc depending on the needs of the day

isuhawkeye

Well everyone,

Thank you for the input.  I appreciate the discussion. 

May I introduce my new buddy

BigMojo

Great Choice. You won't be disappointed.
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Group 6, Florida Wing

JC004

Freaking sweet.  Congrats on a great choice.