S&W M+P
4 (6.8%)
Wheel Gun
3 (5.1%)
Other
5 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 59

isuhawkeye

This has absolutely nothing to do with CAP, but pleas humor me. 

It has become clear that there are a few individuals on this board with the knowledge and experience to dive into this discussion. 

I am a paramedic who has had the opportunity to work in several unique environments.  I have my CCW permit, and am in the market for a new hand gun.  I am currently torn

On one hand my DOD, and DOE co workers tell me to go big or go home.  They swear up and down that .45 is the only way to go, and the 1911 frame is the standard.  As a group that have minimal concern about the 8+1 limitations of the single stack.

On the other hand My LEA, ICE, and other federal type cop friends have mostly graduated to the .40 with a 12 round mag.  They like the velocity of the 40, while maintaining some hit power.  Their argument is that the increased mag capacity is the drive. 

Considering that I want to carry this thing concealed (Im a big guy, and it would be under a blazer most of the time), and occasionally on a tac rig. 

What are your thoughts?

DrJbdm

I'm a police officer, I personally carry a Glock 27 for just the purpose you described. I also carry a glock 23. both are .40 calibre.

If you want performance and accuracy right out of the box it is almost impossible to beat a Glock. Even most experts agree, you just can't beat the performance of a Glock.

Now Glock does make a high capacity .45 as well, both in compact and subcompact models. That may be an option if you are sold on the knock down power of a .45

either way you can't go wrong. If you are going to carry concelled, do yourself a favor a get a weapon that does that job very well. Yes it is possible to carry a compact weapon like the Glock 23 or a 1911 or some other compact duty weapon concelled, but it just isn't going to offer the best ability for that job.

Just my opinion.

Flying Pig

I carry the S&W TSW .45 (By dept policy)  I am a huge fan of the 1911 though.  Personally, I like the high capacity of the Glock 22 I used to carry.  Unfortunately, my dept doesnt share that view.  After 3 shootings, I can tell you that high cap is nice because you can go through 8 rounds before you realize you are even shooting.

Look at the H&K USP compact .45.

If were talking about your career, and your teammates are telling you they want you carrying the 1911....then Id say go with the 1911.  Are they really telling you to "go home" or is that a joke?

Skyray

I burned close to thirty thousand caps courtesy of the Marine Corps firing team, mostly in the 1911 A1 and the .38 Special.  My .38 groups were a lot tighter than the .45 groups, and the Gunny told me it was because the .45 had a floating barrel and couldn't be accurized.  Given that, the .45 had a lot more knock down power, so if you hit him in the hand, he went down.  As for magazine size, make the first beans count, and you don't need to go up to ten or twelve unless you get in an extended gun battle.  On more modern guns, I like almost any of the Glocks.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

BigMojo

I carry a Springfield XD. I like the .40 as well. It's a great gun, and with a couple easy mods, it's phenomenal (replacement guide rod, stronger spring, etc...). It's light, easy to conceal, and I personally sold my glock because I wasn't shooting or carrying it anymore. I believe they make a .45ACP as well.

Just my $0.02
Ben Dickmann, Capt, CAP
Emergency Services Officer
Group 6, Florida Wing

CadetProgramGuy

It has been a while since I carried but when I did I carried the SIG 226 and 227.  I have also carried the Glock as well.

As far as go Big or Go home, I am partial to the 9MM personally, but I also take pride in accuracy so I don;t have to carry a bigger bore.

The .40 and .45 are great for stopping power and the pther posts are very accurate.  Hit someone or somthing with a .40 or .45 they will know it.

If you have any interesting projects that you need help with give me a buzz.

Stonewall

Been a gun toter for many years in the performance of my job.  5 of those years were spent carrying in plain clothes on a protection detail.  We carried the Sig Sauer 229 with .357 Sig rounds.  New boss came in and we went back to 9mm with the same weapon frame.  I liked it a lot.  I shot very well with it and after some demonstrations with the .357 Sig round, I was sold that it's the "perfect round", especially when shooting into or out of car windshields/windows.  Not sure how often you'll have to do that, but we trained that way on occasion.

With all that, I carry a Glock 19 (9mm) off duty.  I also carry a Glock 26 (9mm) depending on what I'm wearing.  The 26 is the exact same size as the 27 but in 9mm vs 40 cal.

I love several different handguns, to include Sig and Glock.  In the Air Guard, I carry an M9 Beretta.  I'm a good shooter with all frames.  Why?  Because of training.  In DC, I shot all_the_friggin_time.  Several times a month.  And not just going to the range, but practical shooting scenarios and training.  We'd shoot with other agents shooting shoulder to shoulder.  We'd shoot while another guy would be cappin' off 5.56 continuously on 3-round burst......yadda yadda yadda.

After talking to some real shooters and reading a few things, I'd probably go with a .40 cal.  9mm, .357 Sig, .45, .38, and .22 calibres all kill people.  But you want reassurance, right?  Training, speed, and shot group.  That's your best asset.

My suggestion, go for a Glock 27 or 23.  I only carry 9mm because that's whay I bought a few years ago.  Ammo is cheaper too.  I carry +P+ rounds for added stopping power.

+1 for Glock.
Serving since 1987.

RocketPropelled

+1 on the Springfield.

I carry an XD-9 subcompact when need be, and I also have the XD-45 Compact for the vehicle/nightstand.  My hands are on the smallish side, so the XD fits them well, without the more extreme grip angle of the Glock.

The XD series has a lot of the same characteristics of the Glocks, if you're into those, give the Springfields a chance too.

Both are excellent, accurate, and easy to live with.

SoCalCAPOfficer

I too have a CCW and I carry either a 9mm Taurus or a snub nose 38 special.  I also am thinking about going to a .45 probably another Taurus.   I love the 1911, however, in our county you cannot carry a 1911 because it is single action and the county sheriffs cannot carry them, therefore CCW holders cannot carry them either.   In fact our county also limits how small a caliber you can carry.  Nothing less than a .32.   Which keeps me from carrying the nice little .22 mag derringer I used to love to keep in my pocket.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

Major Lord

I carry a Strayer Voight Infinity for serious work, a hi-cap 1911 style pistol in .40 Cal. Nothing beats a single action auto for accuracy. It is not exactly ideal for concealment, but it there is a chance that you will really need it, you will thank God for the rounds and the ability to deliver them where they are most needed. Back-up gun is Kahr K-40. If you don't want to spend 3000.00 for a pistol, look seriously at the Kimber 1911's.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Becks

Ive been toying between the XD 40 and Glock 23...thoughts?

BBATW

JC004

Buy a Springfield XD in .40 S&W (Service or Subcompact), or the .45 ACP Compact.  You will never look back. 

Try one.  You will like it.  For the average price, you can't beat it.

ADCAPer

Glock 36.

.45ACP and it's just over an inch wide.

JCJ

Quote from: Becks on September 28, 2007, 12:24:43 AM
Ive been toying between the XD 40 and Glock 23...thoughts?

Glock 23

great pistol

Becks

Yeah..seems I get the answer "Glock!"  "Why?"  "because its a glock!" 
Sorry but thats just not a viable answer nor reason.  I want actual info.

BBATW

CadetProgramGuy

Glock = Tactical Tupperware

According to a Deputy Sheriff I know

JC004

Quote from: Becks on September 28, 2007, 12:59:34 AM
Yeah..seems I get the answer "Glock!"  "Why?"  "because its a glock!" 
Sorry but thats just not a viable answer nor reason.  I want actual info.

Glocks have a brand following like Starbucks and the like.  Personally, I'd rather have Peet's than Starbucks, though.   :)

isuhawkeye

With the success of our other thread I needed a way to compile the data.  Please vote, and comment.

Moderators please merge the two threads

MIKE

Anyone have any experience with handguns made by FNH... Other than the Five-seveN.
Mike Johnston