Is the National Commander a paid position and how much?

Started by capchiro, August 09, 2007, 12:01:11 PM

capchiro

A question arose recently about whether the National Commander is a paid position and if so, how much is he/she paid?  Is the pay based upon their rank?  This is not an attempt to start any flame wars or anything, just a factual question looking for a factual answer.   Thank you,
Lt. Col. Harry E. Siegrist III, CAP
Commander
Sweetwater Comp. Sqdn.
GA154

jimmydeanno

The CAP national commander is not a paid position, it is volunteer, just like you.  However, there are approved expenses for certain things.

I'm not sure what the amount is that is covered for expenses imposed in performance of duties, but I'm sure it isn't that much...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

gallagheria

In conjunction to your specific question, what about the fulltime guys at Maxwell? Are they all Air Force, civil service, CAP corporate, or what? I wonder who the top PAID employee is, who deals directly with CAP.

jimmydeanno

There are many paid employees at CAP NHQ.

They are hired by CAP Inc - the top dog being Mr. Donald Rowland, the Executive Director.

They are not AF, CS or GS.  They do get paid on a tier similar to those though.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Hawk200

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 09, 2007, 12:31:41 PM
There are many paid employees at CAP NHQ.

They are hired by CAP Inc - the top dog being Mr. Donald Rowland, the Executive Director.

They are not AF, CS or GS.  They do get paid on a tier similar to those though.

Probably Wage Grade, hourly type of pay.

mawr

National HQ employees are paid the same as Government Service employees for various jobs.  It's been years since I checked on the Executive Directors position but it used to pay in excess of $75K yearly.
Rick Hasha, Lt Col CAP

IceNine

In 2005 Al Allenback's salary was $118,731

Which ranks #12 on the top 25 Non-Profit Salaries
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

Pylon

Quote from: mfd1506 on August 09, 2007, 09:47:05 PM
Which ranks #12 on the top 25 Non-Profit Salaries

I really doubt that.  The Executive Director at the local non-profit I work for gets paid in excess of that, and the organization is only as large as one county in New York.   In fact, I could probably list 25 non-profit executive directors in upstate NY alone who get paid more than that.

The Chronicle of Philanthropy as well as the AFP regularly conduct surveys of salaries for non-profit executives.  Country-wide, thousands of execs at non-profits make more than that.

Not sure where you got your #12 stat from.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

^  Perhaps he is #12 of the lowest paid directors. 

What's up monkeys?

JC004

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 10, 2007, 11:02:01 PM
^  Perhaps he is #12 of the lowest paid directors.

or #12 highest paid of the directors of all Civil Air Patrols in the world

gallagheria

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/specialreports/nonprofit/index.htm verifies mfd1506's statement. However, I think that is only for Alabama, where CAP headquarters is out of. So nationally he would be far lower.

Pylon

Quote from: gallagheria on August 13, 2007, 03:11:24 AM
http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/specialreports/nonprofit/index.htm verifies mfd1506's statement. However, I think that is only for Alabama, where CAP headquarters is out of. So nationally he would be far lower.

My take on reading it is that it may just be the top 25 paid chief executives for non-profits based only out of the city of Montgomery, Alabama.    Maxwell AFB is pretty close to Montgomery.

There are 9,570 non-profit organizations registered in the state of Alabama, and noticeably absent from the list are non-profits from cities other than Montgomery (like Birmingham).  The Nonprofit Resource Center of Alabama backs up these stats.

The newspaper reporting this information did a very poor job of presenting the stats.  Nowhere did the article indicate scope of the stats (just Montgomery, city of?  Just Montgomery county?  Just that region?  the state? national?), where they got their information from (IRS Form 990s?  Surveys?), etc.

Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Psicorp

Yeah, but Alabamastan is kind of a strange place.  The Superintendent of Alabama Public Schools is the highest paid in the nation, the Alabama State Supreme Court Chief Justice is the second highest Judge in the nation (just behind the U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice), yet "ordinary" citizens there are happy to be making $8/hour.

Non-profits do quite well there. 

"Spittin' distance" is what Maxwell is to Montgomery.
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

sardak

Quote from: Pylon on August 13, 2007, 01:53:03 PM
The newspaper reporting this information did a very poor job of presenting the stats.  Nowhere did the article indicate scope of the stats (just Montgomery, city of?  Just Montgomery county?  Just that region?  the state? national?), where they got their information from (IRS Form 990s?  Surveys?), etc.

Source from the top of the table: Note: This is the latest available Internal Revenue Service information, but it may be dated Source: IRS and Montgomery Advertiser research

The chart also lists Allenback as #12 and #25.

It definitely isn't clear.

Mike

gallagheria

I think, from reading it, that it listed him twice because those are officially two separate jobs. 

Major Carrales

What if the National Commander was a paid position?  How would that effect situations like the ones we have recently experienced?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454