Main Menu

Sue Paul CAWG resigns

Started by Major Lord, July 26, 2007, 09:16:00 PM

Major Lord

Sue Paul, an actual employee of CAP CAWG, just sent an e-mail to the CAWG "all" list resigning immediatly due to "changing working conditions" WTF?, over? I am confident that someone out there will have "the rest of the story". (For you non-CAWG people, resignations on the list are usually protest resignations, we Californians tend to be emotional people...)

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Major Lord

Strike last: Correct to "Sue Lundstrum"

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SarDragon

No intel here, yet. Will ask around.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARPilotNY

Duh...You Wing ex DO's wife quit after your accounting fiasco, any surprise?
Dana and his wife were a classy couple, CAWGs loss.
CAWG Scorecard
Wing Commander
Wing Finance Officer
Wing JAG
Wing Secretary

Go Tony!!!

Look at the result throughout the nation...nothing new.
CAP member 30 + years SAR Pilot, GTM, Base staff

Grumpy

Gee, I knew about everybody else, I didn't know the JAG booked out too.

Grumpy

Speaking of the JAG booking out, has anybody heard what happened to the complaint that was supposedly filed by the CA Group Commanders with regards to TP not following proper procedure when he fired Col Nelson? 

I know it's a touchy subject and I'm not passing judgement, I'm just curious.

SoCalCAPOfficer

If the Wing JAG has resigned its news to me.   I am a Squadron Commander as well as a Legal Officer and I have not heard that he has resigned.
Daniel L. Hough, Maj, CAP
Commander
Hemet Ryan Sq 59  PCR-CA-458

calguy

The group commander issue will be addressed at the August BOG meeting.
The JAG was JJ that quit.

SoCalCAPOfficer

CalGuy, when did JJ quit?   Where did you get this information.  Im a squadron legal officer, if its true I would have thought I would have been told.  I attended UCC just a couple of weeks ago and the officer giving the Legal section did not mention it. 
Commander

Grumpy

To my knowledge, the Wing CC has not completed UCC.  Did he attend as a student or presenter?

calguy

I was told that he quit right after Col. Nelson was fired. 

SoCalCAPOfficer

The new Wing Commander presented the certificates at UCC.
Commander

Chappie

Quote from: calguy on July 27, 2007, 04:48:34 PM
I was told that he quit right after Col. Nelson was fired. 

If JJ had quit, that is news to me....I had not heard that bit of news.  Will check with my sources of info to see if that is indeed correct.
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

Chappie

Quote from: SARPilotNY on July 27, 2007, 03:14:18 AM
Duh...You Wing ex DO's wife quit after your accounting fiasco, any surprise?
Dana and his wife were a classy couple, CAWGs loss.
CAWG Scorecard
Wing Commander
Wing Finance Officer
Wing JAG
Wing Secretary

Go Tony!!!

Look at the result throughout the nation...nothing new.

Dana and Jennifer are indeed a class-act.  Had the privilege of working with them (and consider them to be friends as well).   Indeed a real loss in talent, energy, and commitment to the CAWG.

Chappie

Quote from: CaptLord on July 26, 2007, 09:27:28 PM
Strike last: Correct to "Sue Lundstrum"

Capt. Lord

Again another member who I have had the privilege of working with whose leaving will be a great loss to the CAWG.

flynd94

Folks, yes we have lost some folks in CAWG, expect to lose more.  Our house is in disorder.  If you don't think so, wake up and, smell the coffee.  Col. Nelson was fair leader but, a bad manager.  She didn't have the back bone to keep her directors in line or make the tough decision.

The wing banker problem was forseeable.  I was at the CAWG Command Staff meeting when she said that she wasn't going to follow what CAPHQ wanted.  A couple of group commanders questioned her but, Col Nelson let her do what she wanted.  Because of this we know owe CAPHQ $120,000 in aircraft funds.  Because of her "flawed" accounting CAPHQ is withholding $2000/ month in dues till we repay the debt.

I could go on about how screwed up Communications, Operations, Logistics are but, I won't.  About the only area run effectively is Cadet Programs. 

Col. Muniz has a tough road ahead, as would have the next CAWG/CC.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

Chappie

Quote from: flynd94 on July 27, 2007, 09:27:09 PM

I could go on about how screwed up Communications, Operations, Logistics are but, I won't.  About the only area run effectively is Cadet Programs.  

And I thought the Chaplain Service was pretty effective in the CAWG as well  ;) 

calguy

I will say under Larry Myrick, you knew where you stood and the direction we were going.  There were things I (we) didn't like, but at least he made a stand.  Leadership!!!
Col. Nelson just never understood areas outside of her expertise, cadet programs.  She didn't support some of her directors which lead to where we are today. 
I think the SAREVAL score reflects that as well as the accounting issue, flying club problems and others.
Jesse has an uphill battle, I think things can only get better.

Grumpy

___________________________________________________________________________________
[/quote]
You got that right, considering before now he's never commanded so much as a flight and hasn't completed UCC yet.  From what I hear he was promoted from Major to full colonel (I realize that part is hear say).  But I do know he never had command experience before.

I'd have to agree with you, he's got an uphill battle alright.

shorning

Quote from: Grumpy on July 28, 2007, 05:58:17 AM
From what I hear he was promoted from Major to full colonel (I realize that part is hear say).

That's not uncommon in CAP.

wingnut

The Flying weather was great today in Southern california, Light wind, visibility Unlimited, a few elts, possibly a missinf Aircraft. I don't care who the Commander is all the way up to the chief of Staff of the Air Force, I expect support for the pilots, aircrews and Ground teams, increased recruitment and retention, more emphasis on training and skills evaluation. CAP is 65 years old this year, people will leave, many of them say they are tired of some of the BS maybe just tired. But we will survive as a Team new leaders require self evaluation, maybe we need a home make over, we are in many cases undergoing an identity crisis. So I have hope.

PS what about them Dodgers??

Pumbaa

Quotewhat about them Dodgers??

One of these days I have to make my way to Brooklyn to see them play.

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: 2d Lt FAT and FUZZY on July 28, 2007, 11:39:37 AM
Quotewhat about them Dodgers??

One of these days I have to make my way to Brooklyn to see them play.

Yer gonna hafta see 'em in Chavez Ravine in Lost Angeles... Ebbets Field is now a housing project in Brooklyn. But if ya insist on seeing them in Noo Yawk, ya gotta see 'em playing the Mets at Shea Stadium in Flushing, Queens.  ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Pumbaa

DANG!!!

When did they move out of NooYawk?  >:D

Grumpy

I realize that.  The thing that blew my mind when I retired from the AF and came back into CAP was having a squadron commander that was a 1st LT or Capt. and his deputy commander might be a Major or Lt Col.

JCJ

___________________________________________________________________________________
You got that right, considering before now he's never commanded so much as a flight and hasn't completed UCC yet.  From what I hear he was promoted from Major to full colonel (I realize that part is hear say).  But I do know he never had command experience before.

I'd have to agree with you, he's got an uphill battle alright.

I don't know Col. Muniz's full background, but I know him personally and I can tell you he is a good guy.  NSC Graduate, Level 5, former cadet, worked for an intelligence agency that was "central" back in the day.  He has been active on several national things.  He will have a big job, but I believe that he is up to it.

The other thing to note is this - there is ZERO tolerance for financial shenanigans in today's CAP.

PHall

Okay, back to the topic.

Talked to Maj Crumm, the CAWG CoS, about why Sue left. (He was closing down the Wing HQ Annex.)

Reason he gave was that her job description had changed with the new fulltime book keeper doing all of the financial stuff including Form 108's and the fact that they wanted her start working out of the Wing Headquarters in Van Nuys five days a week.
She did not want to make the 65 mile, each way, commute through the worst of LA traffic so she decided to resign.

She already has a new job at a car dealer that pays more and is 5 miles from her house.

Grumpy

I truely hope that's all there to it.  Perhaps after the BOG meets this year things will settle down.

RiverAux

employees leave all the time for all sorts of reasons.  It really is funny how everyone assumes the big conspiracy....

bosshawk

I refuse to engage in gossip, but I want to set a couple of things straight, for the benefit of those who are guessing.

One, Jesse Muniz was a LtCol when selected to be the new Wing Commander.  He was, in fact, the Director of Aerospace Education for Colorado Wing.  He has been in CAP since about the year two, having joined as a Cadet and has hit every step along the way.  Has he ever had a command: why not ask him?  I don't know.

Two, Jim Crum, the COS of CAWG, is a LtCol and a retired AF LtCol.

Just setting the record straight.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

SoCalCAPOfficer

If we are setting the record straight, I still would like to know the status of the Wing Legal Officer.   If his leaving is just a rumor, then the record should be set straight.   If he has actually left, then why as a squadron legal officer was I not made aware of it.   

I have tried to pin this down without success.   If its just a rumor then to let it continue without verification would be unfair to LtCol Gianquinto who has done a fine job for our wing.

Therefore, if anyone out there can confirm or deny this with authority, I would love to hear it.   Thank You.
Commander

ZigZag911

Quote from: shorning on July 28, 2007, 07:24:24 AM
From what I hear he was promoted from Major to full colonel (I realize that part is hear say).

That's not uncommon in CAP.

Unfortunately, it is not....nor is the appointment of a wing CC with nor prior command experience.

This is not a comment on the new CA Wing CC, whom I don't know & have not met -- but CAP needs some firm regulations, some enforceable standards, regarding selection and appointment of region and wing commanders.....and since the NB won't touch it, it seems high time the BOG looked into it!

RAZOR

The Natinal Board will never touch it because it is there way of electing the "GOOD OLE BOYS" and putting their  good buddies in positions of power.. The whole system needs to be overhauled and let the Air Force take back the program.. ;D

ZigZag911

wingnut

Job Title:  Wing Administrator       
Salary:  $15.69 an hour
Reports to:  Wing Commander/Dotted Line Responsibilities to National Headquarters
Closing date:  12 August 2007
Job ID#  CAWA  (Full-time)

OK does anyone see the problem with this Pay, In California a National Guard Unit Clerk starts as GS 7
GS Scale for a 5 is $15.23 hour, GS 6 is $16.97, GS 7 is $18.86 (Local GS Pay)

Gee NHQ, you wonder why we are having problems with our Accounting??, kind of reminds me of what type of contractor we get with 'Lowest bid". If the average accounting firm pays $20.00/hour for an experienced book keeper in Los Angeles, but wait this person will be the "Wing Administrator".

Here is one example

8/8/2007 Administrative Support Assistant (OA)
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army int ...[more]

Vacancy Ann.#:  WTKC07060560
Who May Apply:  Status Candidates
Pay Plan:  GS-0303-6/6
Appointment Term:  Permanent
Job Status:  Full-Time
Opening Date:  7/23/2007
Salary:  From 35,425.00 to 46,052.00 USD per year

/15/2007 Accounting Technician
FLORIDA NATIONAL GUARD NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: Thisis an excepted position that requiresmembership in a compatible military assignmentin the National Guard. Selectee will be required to ...[more]

Vacancy Ann.#:  FL07-262
Who May Apply:  US Citizens and Status Candidates
Pay Plan:  GS-0525-07
Appointment Term:  Permanent
Job Status:  Full-Time
Opening Date:  7/13/2007
Salary:  From 35,752.00 to 46,478.00 USD per year

Just my thoughts

RAZOR

Thats a lot of pay to answer a phone and file papers. I was a GS-07, now a GS-09 and my job description is way longer and more complex than the wing administrators job description... At best a GS-05 for this job... >:D

a2capt

Folks, yes we have lost some folks in CAWG, expect to lose more.  Our house is in disorder.  If you don't think so, wake up and, smell the coffee.  Col. Nelson was fair leader but, a bad manager.  She didn't have the back bone to keep her directors in line or make the tough decision.

I guess I was not the only one that felt this way ...  ;)

A problem that some local units have is cadet vs. senior, instead of being one unit, they are divided- from the moment Col. Nelson's rule started to become evident, this was pretty obvious. Her expertise was Cadet Programs, the rest of it was paid no mind and fell to pieces. Seeing this 'attitude' prevail from the top down certainly didn't help matters. ES in and of itself, one of CAP's missions, especially in the south, was in need of an ES response to itself almost immediately with the change of command in 2003.

QuoteCol. Muniz has a tough road ahead, as would have the next CAWG/CC.

Yes, Col. Muniz does have a tough road ahead.

After the last Wing Conference (2006) there was a glimmer of light, with regards to ES, and quickly, Col. Nelson, as noted above, lacked the backbone to continue it, and per 'investigation', found nothing wrong. IE, let the good ol' boys network stay alive.. A few positions changed around, nothing much happened.

Lets hope Col. Muniz looks past the blinders that have been erected by some of the Wing Staff members, has open communications channels, does not allow legitimate complaints to simply be buried because chain of command was not followed, or buried it themselves, and listens to the rank and file,  where the work is actually done.

calguy

...I stand corrected, JJ is still the JAG.

calguy

Quote from: a2capt on August 01, 2007, 06:12:35 PM

I guess I was not the only one that felt this way ...  ;)

A problem that some local units have is cadet vs. senior, instead of being one unit, they are divided- from the moment Col. Nelson's rule started to become evident, this was pretty obvious. Her expertise was Cadet Programs, the rest of it was paid no mind and fell to pieces. Seeing this 'attitude' prevail from the top down certainly didn't help matters. ES in and of itself, one of CAP's missions, especially in the south, was in need of an ES response to itself almost immediately with the change of command in 2003.

QuoteCol. Muniz has a tough road ahead, as would have the next CAWG/CC.

Yes, Col. Muniz does have a tough road ahead.

After the last Wing Conference (2006) there was a glimmer of light, with regards to ES, and quickly, Col. Nelson, as noted above, lacked the backbone to continue it, and per 'investigation', found nothing wrong. IE, let the good ol' boys network stay alive.. A few positions changed around, nothing much happened.

What was the glimmer of light???  Porter??  What was the investigation about???

Lets hope Col. Muniz looks past the blinders that have been erected by some of the Wing Staff members, has open communications channels, does not allow legitimate complaints to simply be buried because chain of command was not followed, or buried it themselves, and listens to the rank and file,  where the work is actually done.

California is in need of some new blood...starting with the CV.  He took over ES after last year's conference and did nothing but keep the same old boys doing their same old flying club activities.  Now he is the CV again, the current DOS is the DDO and is too worthless.  Nobody wants to do any changes and for the last 3 years it shows.  We had a new DOS 4 years ago but never received any support for the CC & CV.  He started the virtual base concept, worked well but had a hard sell and never really had the support from the command staff.  He and his assistant were instructed by the CV not to take anymore missions, this caused CAWG to turn missions back to the sheriff.  His goal is to get CAWG out of the SAR business.  The two guys stepped back up to the plate against the CV's orders and saved the Wing from the State. That year the two ran over 200 missions. They wanted to do statewide SAR schools and the CV stopped them.  Wonder why the Wing is in such poor shape?  The flying club is the Wing's priority.  The chief check pilot went missing during the Wing's SAREVAL and they opened an AFRCC mission.  Seems he was having lunch at an airport 200 miles away.  Another check pilot refused to return a dog team back home because he had plans to have lunch in a different direction.  There was an ELT mission last week off the end of a runway at a local airport.  There was a CAPF at the airport but he was unwilling to look for the ELT because he was at his friends tennis match.  Another flying club member?  Anyone that tries to make any changes is branded, we don't seem to want or accept change. 
The Wing received an unsatisfactory on its SAREVAL this year from an EXCELLANT two years ago.  The prior to years they received the CAP's best ES Program and now we hit rock bottom.  Thank the CV and lack of gut and leadership for that!

calguy

What was the Glimmer of Light???  Porter?

What was the Investigation you were talking about?

a2capt

Quote from: calguy on August 02, 2007, 11:52:27 PM
The Wing received an unsatisfactory on its SAREVAL this year from an EXCELLANT two years ago.  The prior to years they received the CAP's best ES Program and now we hit rock bottom.  Thank the CV and lack of gut and leadership for that!

Funny thing.. the 'new' DOS was when? The SAREVAL was flopped when? The DOS who has now moved up in call sign #'s is the primary reason for this most recent failure. This stuff is set in motion, these two and some of their followers are not team players at all. Most of the time all you get out of them on the air is harsh statement toward and about other members, they're really experienced with the 'run' in 'running missions', they have run everyone else out with their actions. Command and Control is basically non-existent, and you're right. The current DOS is not much better and a supporter of one in the same. These guys rip on members, rip on command, and do it on the air with no regard as to who can hear it. They treat the communications system as their own private network.

Col. Nelson's 'hands off' approach to management came back and bit hard.  At least with Col. Myrick  you did know where you stood. Since the command change back then, it was romper room unless it was Cadetcentric.

The ES cliques need to go the way of the do-do bird, the sloppy, fast talking, harsh talking, sarcastic ripping on other members on the airwaves and the like all need to go.  Command, buy not doing anything about it, gives the impression of condoning it. What does that do for morale and desire to contribute?

As for the flying club? the tennis tournament, I can't not agree. If you are going to take an asset you should be prepared to either return it or put it in service when called on. That means if you are going a bit further away- perhaps maybe someone wants to go with you.. so make it a complete crew should that asset be needed. But there's probably quite a bit more to the whole story there.

calguy

Quote from: a2capt on August 03, 2007, 10:03:15 PM
Quote from: calguy on August 02, 2007, 11:52:27 PM

Funny thing.. the 'new' DOS was when? The SAREVAL was flopped when? The DOS who has now moved up in call sign #'s is the primary reason for this most recent failure.

The CV took over as DOS just prior to last years wing conference in Bakersfield.  He did nothing but make promises and give his buds a bunch of ES ratings with the promise that they would take control of the ES program.  They did nothing, we got in some big time trouble with the OES and the old guard stepped in to keep our standings and $$$ with the OES.  He got fired, became CV again and put the deputy DDO  ( R.B.) as DOS.  There was no plan for who was going to be at the SAREVAL, leaving the IC with no planned staff.  At the last minute, they found a few good old boys to run the mission and "save the day???"  It was terrible!  There are a few guys that really understand ICS and it showed.  The rest were lost and really had no idea what their jobs were, and these are "senior" command staff at Wing guys.  Almost the whole operations section took and hour and a half lunch and dumped it on the IC, than at three o'clock almost everyone but the IC and his assistant left for a planned dinner eventhough there were still taskings outstanding.
The wing DOS had put together a full ICS and SAR school for the Wing three years ago.  The group CCs, CC & CV prevented them from doing it and the groups ALL said they would do it...it never happened.  No leadership and I am sure the new CC has no idea how bad off we are.  The CV keeps all information from him to protect himself (CV).

Mustang

Quote from: ZigZag911 on July 29, 2007, 09:05:04 PMThis is not a comment on the new CA Wing CC, whom I don't know & have not met -- but CAP needs some firm regulations, some enforceable standards, regarding selection and appointment of region and wing commanders.....and since the NB won't touch it, it seems high time the BOG looked into it!

It's coming!
"Amateurs train until they get it right; Professionals train until they cannot get it wrong. "

calguy

do you think they will wait to the wg conf. for a change of command....or change now....or do nothing?  I say wing conf.

Chappie

Quote from: calguy on August 07, 2007, 11:06:14 PM
do you think they will wait to the wg conf. for a change of command....or change now....or do nothing?  I say wing conf.

I don't see a change of command taking place in the CAWG at this year's Wing Conference.  Common sense would dictate that you would not want to put the Wing Membership through 2 changes of command within a 6-8 month time frame...but then again I have seen common sense go out the window in some CAP decisions. ::)

Skyray

I have been reading this thread with interest.  A few years ago, I was deputy Group Commander for Cal Morton, a former California Wing Vice Commander.  Cal introduced me to Angelo Porco, who was in the process of making the mistake of taking on the Bowling/Pineda machine for corruption.  They trashed his reputation thoroughly, but I always found Angelo to have a solid basis in his analysis.  Anybody out there in Arnold-Land know whatever happened to Angelo?
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

a2capt

Well... common sense would have been that this whole matter had been handled much differently, it's not as if shenanigans were taking place and people were up to no good with funding.

Personally, I was disappointed when it was announced that a change of command was not forthcoming, that an additional year was given. Col. Nelson's hands off approach basically stunk. If it wasn't cadetcentric, it got little or no support and probably suffered. Namely, ES seems to have lost the concept of Command and Control. That started right from the very beginning.

With great power comes great responsibility and no more ever is it evident right here.
I just hope that the intentions in the works are serving the greater mission of CAP, and not to settle a score.

I realize membership from practically Year #2 in the organization is a lot more than most of the current membership can say, and thats very commendable, but it really should be more than Do as I say, not as I do. (or as I give the appearance of, at least) but Wing commanders are usually primed by leading units, groups, being the Vice, etc..

bosshawk

Skyray: Col Angelo Porco moved from CAWG to the PACR staff and, about two years ago, quietly retired from CAP.  He generally comes to the CAWG Wing Conference and visits with his friends.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

wingnut

AHH CAP retirement, do we get health care benefits with that??

ColonelJack

Quote from: wingnut on August 09, 2007, 06:40:16 AM
AHH CAP retirement, do we get health care benefits with that??

Um ... no.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

Skyray

Quote from: bosshawk on August 09, 2007, 02:26:32 AM
Skyray: Col Angelo Porco moved from CAWG to the PACR staff and, about two years ago, quietly retired from CAP.  He generally comes to the CAWG Wing Conference and visits with his friends.

Thanks a lot, Colonel.  I had about a two hour conference with him at the '98 Winter Boards discussing the future course of CAP.  I was amazed at what an accurate handle he had on the coalition that ultimately came to rule CAP.  In my provincial way I thought you had to be from Southeast Region to know these people, but Angelo proved me wrong and opened my eyes that there were astute players out there.  The people we were discussing later terminated me and trashed Angelo's reputation, but you see what a disaster that they ultimately were for the organization.  I hope California Wing doesn't enforce Anthony Jesus's restriction on retiree attendance at Wing Conferences.  It has been a real thorn in the side to Ken Massey (local Spaatzen and Wing Operations officer now retired due to conflict with Pineda's ambition).  If you see Angelo tell him that I think of him often.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member