Main Menu

CAP / USAF Logo

Started by winterg, February 18, 2014, 12:24:08 AM

winterg

So, I work in a veteran owned and staffed company that provides medical equipment exclusively to the VA hospitals for veterans.  And today was a federal holiday.  So I was bored out of my mind at work today!  This, unfortunately gave me ample time to doodle.  Not always a good thing.

I started thinking, since we take the majority of our branding from the USAF with the replacement/addition of our triangle prop, i wondered how it would look with the latest USAF wings logo.  I know these wings are often despised.  And being from the 90's USAF I can understand why.  But I think they have grown on even me over the last decade or so.

The four-sided diamond at the bottom could represent our 4 core values.  The triangle and prop represent our mission and heritage.  I just have to come up with something for the six piece chevron on top. 

Knowing how much EVERYONE loves new CAP logos, I am sure the replies will be interesting to say the least. :)

Eclipse

As of 31 Dec 2012 CAP is no longer authorized to use the Happ Arnold wings, and when authorized, was not allowed
to change them in the way indicated above.

See 900-2.

"That Others May Zoom"

winterg

Quote from: Eclipse on February 18, 2014, 12:47:36 AM
As of 31 Dec 2012 CAP is no longer authorized to use the Happ Arnold wings, and when authorized, was not allowed
to change them in the way indicated above.
See 900-2.

I did look at 900-2.  It rescinds the use of the Hap Arnold wings cradling a CAP organizational emblem.  This is not that.

This artwork, done purely for entertainment value, was an attempt at combining our CAP distinctive logo with the current USAF logo since that is how many, if not most, of CAP's logos have traditionally been designed.  Example, the CAP Seal.

a2capt

Just what is needed .. -another- logo.

winterg

Quote from: a2capt on February 18, 2014, 12:56:29 AM
Just what is needed .. -another- logo.

Because nobody is allowed to create some entertaining CAP related artwork.  Hahaha  Lighten up, I made it for fun since CAP takes it's cue from Ma Blue.  Not to try to make you spend your hard earned dollars buying stuff you don't need.  ;)

winterg

I still say my logo is more in line with our heritage than other recent logo updates for us.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

SAREXinNY

I, personally, despise the triangle propeller thingy.  Anything with that gets a no-vote from me (hypothetically speaking of course, since this was draw for entertainment value only)

winterg

Quote from: SAREXinNY on February 18, 2014, 02:00:44 AM
I, personally, despise the triangle propeller thingy.  Anything with that gets a no-vote from me (hypothetically speaking of course, since this was draw for entertainment value only)

The Triangle with propeller is one of CAP's oldest symbols.  I'd hate to ever see us get rid of that.  I dislike the recent incarnation with the banding and words on it.

Quote from: Eclipse on February 18, 2014, 01:54:36 AM
Point?

Merely trying to justify why I choose this particular doodle.  I had a little fun with Photoshop and thought my fellow CAPers would enjoy it as well.  I wasn't trying to insult anyone or injure feelings and I expected the terse posts with zero nicety.  LoL

Luis R. Ramos

Winterg-

When people refer to the Triangle with Propeller they refer to this symbol:

http://www.capvolunteernow.com/todays-features/?new_cap_logo_approved_by_national_executive_committee&show=news&newsID=13163#

It is not part of the CAP history or oldest symbols. It was approved, at most, not more than 5 years ago. NHQ decided, without explanation, to get rid of the blue background.

People do not refer to the Triangle with Propeller to this one:

http://www.iace.us/Historical/Caplogo.jpg

This has been part of our history, and people love it. It is the one above this the one that people hate.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

winterg

Quote from: flyer333555 on February 18, 2014, 02:30:22 AM
Winterg-
When people refer to the Triangle with Propeller they refer to this symbol:
http://www.capvolunteernow.com/todays-features/?new_cap_logo_approved_by_national_executive_committee&show=news&newsID=13163#
It is not part of the CAP history or oldest symbols. It was approved, at most, not more than 5 years ago.
People do not refer to the Triangle with Propeller to this one:
http://www.iace.us/Historical/Caplogo.jpg
This has been part of our history, and people love it. It is the one above this the one that people hate.
Flyer

Apologies.  I thought he was referring to the "triangle thingy" with the bands that say Civil Air Patrol.  That's the one I don't like.

But a red prop inside a white triangle with a blue border ( whether that border is a circle or not) is not bad and I maintain is still the same and stand by my assertion.  While I prefer the original CD blue circle version with a white triangle inside, this new incarnation without the blue circle isn't that bad and still represents CAP.  Organizations update their emblems all the time.  It isn't the end of the world.

a2capt

The one that has the words removed from the sides of the triangle is tolerable. It belongs in the field of blue. Like the shield or roundel.

That thing with the words was something that was made for one conference, and somehow stuck. At it's worse, it was on the cover of the magazine, thus it read "VALUNTEER" for a few issues.

Dumb, and ugly.

Panache

In the context of "for entertainment value only", I think it's sharp. 

flyboy53

I don't. I've never really gotten use to the Air Force version because, in a very real way, it dishonors the General who designed the emblem in the first place -- Hap Arnold.

I'm old enough to have served in the Air Force when the winged star was still given as a lapel pin for Air Force members and used to be stenciled on different pieces of gear.

For entertainment purposes, fine, lets stick to what we have.

These sorts of things end up showing up when you least expect it and then are forced on the membership.

a2capt

Quote from: flyboy1 on February 18, 2014, 04:50:58 PMThese sorts of things end up showing up when you least expect it and then are forced on the membership.
Precisely. Because something thinks it's "cute", and then .. viola. "oh, look, that must be the new seal/logo/thing .. lets use that."

Blech. ;)

winterg

No matter how much anyone hates the decepticon logo, it is the current recognized AF logo. As an official part of the USAF we should be matching our branding to our parent organization.

Panache

Quote from: flyboy1 on February 18, 2014, 04:50:58 PM
I don't. I've never really gotten use to the Air Force version because, in a very real way, it dishonors the General who designed the emblem in the first place -- Hap Arnold.

How so?

I'm not trying to be argumentative.  Never serving in the USAF, I'm not familiar with this particular aspect of the design.  I'm genuinely interested in the background on this.

winterg

Quote from: flyboy1 on February 18, 2014, 04:50:58 PM

While I understand many are not happy about the new version of the Hap Arnold wings, it had a 90% approval by the Air Force membership when it was being tested. I wasn't overjoyed when it rolled out but I believe it has grown on me. And I would also like to hear your argument for it being an insult to Hap. I think it is more of a tribute.

SarDragon

Here are the current rules on the use of "Air Force Symbol". As you can see, they are pretty strict.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

winterg

Quote from: SarDragon on February 18, 2014, 10:24:13 PM
Here are the current rules on the use of "Air Force Symbol". As you can see, they are pretty strict.

As a matter of fact, that is the fact sheet I used when drawing this one. And nowhere have I proposed that this should actually be used, much less without any type of approval.

My main argument is why we, as the official Auxiliary of the USAF, not take advantage of the widespread recognized symbols of the USAF with CAP modification. The same way our CAP seal and other emblems do.