I tried something...exercised a belief stated here...PT?

Started by Major Carrales, March 28, 2007, 07:51:52 PM

Major Carrales

I tried something...exercised a belief

A while back back we discussed CAP Officer PT.  Well, I gave it a try along with some cadets at last week and last night's meeting.  I did the curl ups and teh push ups and even ran the mile.  While I most likely look pathetic...t'was the first actual honest to goodness planned exercise I have done in a while.

Boy am I out of shape...boy am I sore...but boy do I actually feel good about it.

I may try to do it more often.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

LtCol White

And Im sure your cadets appreciated you being out there with them
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

SarDragon

In my last unit, the cadets thought it was kool until they realized that a 54 yo, out of shape, SM was doing better than half the squadron in the run and situps. I thought it sad, myself.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Pylon

Our current squadron commander schooled pretty much all of our cadets on the mile run with a 7:00 time.    Nothing motivates your cadets to run faster than seeing a senior member whiz by them.  ;)

Occassionally, I get in on the action too, but more often than not, I'm the one with the stopwatch... (which I keep losing)

When possible, I think it's great for seniors to get in on the PT and participate with the cadets.  It may instill some healthy inter-squadron competition, show the cadets that the SMs care, and offer new and creative ways to motivate people for PT! 
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

DNall

absolutely. If it motivates them then it's worth doing, if it motivates you to get in a little better shape in the process then it's even better, if that in turn makes you more capable on missions then even better still.

Chappie

If SM/Officers were to have to participate in PT with the cadets (or even on their own), you would probably hear the following instruction given to my wife as I leave the house to participate in said activity: "Honey, I'm leaving now to participate in PT with Squadron ###....fire up the iron lung before I get home."   :D
Disclaimer:  Not to be confused with the other user that goes by "Chappy"   :)

alexalvarez

Don't forget the old folks liniment for those sore muscles. Strange, I am starting to use this liniment more often than last year.
Ch, Lt. Col., Alex Alvarez
Alamo Composite Squadron, Bexar County Squadron, San Antonio, Texas
Group V Chaplain
Mitchell 1967, Earhart 1967, C/ Lt. Col. 1969
Fifty Year Member 2014

Major Carrales

We meet at a place called Doctor's Regional Hospital...I figure, I've got a fighting chance if...well...if we really do have to fire up the iron lung.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

Ford73Diesel

As a cadet, I am very impressed. Trust me, you cadets noticed and they will think it's cool.

I have been out PT'ed by a SM once, but he is an AF 2d Lt so that doesnt count  ;D (not saying ther are not SM's who can't outperform me)

CLB

Nice.  We (3 of us) generally participate in at least some fashion with cadet PT. 

They dropped me while stretcher (playing wounded) while doing a liter carry and I've had a slight headache ever since. 
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

Becks

My bad LT, Ill tell them you're "severely injured" next time so they wont drop you.  :D

BBATW

Major Carrales

As we get things going in Kingsville, me thinks I will be getting in shape...or dying from being sore.

But, if it'll show the extent of my resolve, I think it will be work the stroke. ;)

Commander
SWR-TX-454

DNall

Stay hydrated, watch the heat down there... also watch for overuse injury since you haven't been running in some time & are jumping straight to a mile.