For You guys are always ragging on people's spelling

Started by flyguy06, March 17, 2007, 11:58:57 PM

flyguy06

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it
FORWARD ONLY IF YOU CAN READ IT.

Chris Jacobs

C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

carnold1836

Chris Arnold, 1st Lt, CAP
Pegasus Composite Squadron

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

PhoenixRisen

arajca

I can read it, but I stopped after the first line. I do not see the point to it.

If 85% of cars on the road today can exceed the speed limit, should we ignore the speed limit?

LTC_Gadget

Yeah, I could read it no sweat.  As others said, what's the point? It still isn't justification for failing to do it right.

Spelling, grammar, etc., point to attention to detail and perceived professionalism, in the same way as someone suggested in another thread that uniform wear speaks about the user.

Like it or not, for better or worse, how you write and how you speak contribute to the opinion that others form of you.  Everyone 'fat fingers' once in a while, and examining someone's writings over time will counteract a one-off screw up.  But, continual, glaring errors paint one in a less-than-favorable light. Your English teach and your mother were right, like it or not..

One (okay, two) of my personal peeves is the misuse of:

to, two, too
there, their, they're
your, you're

and the use of text-message or YIM-style shorthand in written correspondence. The use of that informal style is fine if you're thirteen and blond, but not if you want to be understood and taken seriously,

On other boards where I'm sometimes found, people bemoan the fact that there's no spell-check on the board, or that it's broken, etc.. But it's just as easy to open a second window to www.dictionary.com ferpetessake..  :) The same site provides links to thesaurus.com.

V/R,

PS.. The phrases "GitRDun" and "fixin to" and the word "like" when used as every fourth word make you look pretty lame, too..
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.

Major Carrales

I could read it...heaven help me...I can read it!!!
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

CLB

Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

Becks

Yes yes, old study. Similar paragraphs have been around for a long time, often tossed around in chainletters.

BBATW

SarDragon

I have two reasons for hanging around here - exchanging information, and entertainment. Effective information exchange is difficult when posts are hard to read or understand. Additionally, it reflects on a poster when they don't care enough to express themselves properly. Using an incorrect word can totally change the meaning of a post. The best example I can think of right now is prescribe vs. proscribe. The meanings are exactly opposite.

If I have trouble deciphering a post because you don't care enough to use good English, why should I care enough to give you an answer?

The seniors members should be a good example for the cadets. If they see crappy posts from us, why should they try to make theirs any better? Sounds like bad training to me.

YMMV. Batteries not included. Notary Sojac.

Oh, yeah, the entertainment part. I am not entertained at all by reading malformed posts. I'd rather give myself a tattoo with a freshly sharpened stick pencil.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

aveighter

I can read it.  I've had 463 others in a similar vein to practise on.

pixelwonk

Quote from: SarDragon on March 18, 2007, 08:57:22 AM
I have two reasons for hanging around here - exchanging information, and entertainment. Effective information exchange is difficult when posts are hard to read or understand. Additionally, it reflects on a poster when they don't care enough to express themselves properly. Using an incorrect word can totally change the meaning of a post. The best example I can think of right now is prescribe vs. proscribe. The meanings are exactly opposite.

If I have trouble deciphering a post because you don't care enough to use good English, why should I care enough to give you an answer?

Although it's most likely grammatically correct, perhaps "English well" might sound better, Dave ;D

flyguy06

;D I posted this more for lightheartedness reasons. I recievd it in an email and thought I would post it. You guys took a simple joke and analysed the heck out of it.

Some people take themselves wayyyyyy to seriously. ;D

arajca

Most of us have seen these before and have had the posters try to beat "Spelling isn't important if you can read it" into us. That idea didn't work in school, didn't work with mothers, doesn't work in business, and doesn't work here.

SarDragon

Quote from: tedda on March 18, 2007, 03:06:00 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on March 18, 2007, 08:57:22 AM

Although it's most likely grammatically correct, perhaps "English well" might sound better, Dave ;D

I thought about that before I clicked send, and decided that what I did post more suitably expressed my intent.

I will, however, run it by this guy and see what he says.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

BlackKnight

Phil Boylan, Maj, CAP
DCS, Rome Composite Sqdn - GA043
http://www.romecap.org/

RogueLeader

I completely understood what was said, and with no problems what-so-ever.
Now for my $.02, or maybe $.03
Good typing is important, and necessary to good communication, but not all people can remember all of their vocabulary,  it can be that it was a missed typo- it has been proved that if you proofread your own writing, your mind can, and occasionally does fill it in properly.  The best way to avoid that, or eliminate that is to have another person proof read.  Some thoughts:
a) who has a second person reading over their shoulder all the time
b) thats what spell check is for
c) sometimes you can be totally thrown off of a word with weird spelling that you can't find it without help from a rocket scientists
and finally
d) why can't you forgive a couple misspellings
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

LTC_Gadget

Quote from: RogueLeader on March 19, 2007, 10:01:35 PM
d) why can't you forgive a couple misspellings

The occasional, yes.  The egregious and/or chronic.. nah... 

V/R,
John Boyd, LtCol, CAP
Mitchell and Earhart unnumbered, yada, yada
The older I get, the more I learn.  The more I learn, the more I find left yet to learn.