Main Menu

Passing of an Old Guard

Started by Cliff_Chambliss, April 14, 2013, 12:51:41 PM

Cliff_Chambliss

Passing  of an Old Guard.

Approximately 2000 hours 13 April 2013  Major James Shill lifted off for the last time and flew west.  Jim Shill, a member of Birmingham, Alabama Senior Squadron 34 passed quietly in his sleep following a brief illness.

Jim was an Aviation Mechanic in the US Navy during WWII, and joind CAP shortly after.  In the 1960's he was a Senior Member at the Birmingham Alabama Composite Squadron 1, and a cadet orientation pilot.  This is when I met Jim for the first time.  I flew with Jim several times as a Cadet in the Squadron's Aeronca L-16, and Piper L-18 and later in the Alabama Wing North American L-17.  His friendly outgoing personality made him well liked and respected among the cadets and senior members alike (me included). 

many years later following my retirement from the US Army I rejoined the CAP and again renewed my friendship with Jim Shill. 

Major James W. Shill  you will be missed.

11th Armored Cavalry Regiment
2d Armored Cavalry Regiment
3d Infantry Division
504th BattleField Surveillance Brigade

ARMY:  Because even the Marines need heros.    
CAVALRY:  If it were easy it would be called infantry.

capmaj

Private Investigator

Walkman

May we all serve such that we deserve this kind of tribute as well. Blues skies, Major.

JeffDG

May everyone keep the friends and family in their prayers, and may He grant solace to those who remain.