Main Menu

The Night Owl's Thread

Started by Major Carrales, March 06, 2007, 06:59:49 AM

Major Carrales

So, what is your favorite topic to discuss in the UNGODDLY WEE HOURS of the MORNING? ::)

I think I am more curious as to how you EAST COASTERS stay up so late?
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

SAR-EMT1

lol.. I work in EMS and so Im used to not needing sleep  ::) - but Im CST here in IL.
As for what to discuss .... anything...EXCEPT: UNIFORM CHANGES, RANK CHANGES FOR NHQ/CC, BLACK VANS  ::)
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

LtCol White

How about discussing the topics addressed at cadet and senior squadron meetings and ways to make the meetings more intersting so that as we recruit new people, they dont become bored with the meetings and leave.

Basically, once we get them, how do we keep them intersted?
LtCol David P. White CAP   
HQ LAWG

Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska

Diplomacy - The ability to tell someone to "Go to hell" and have them look forward to making the trip.

Becks

College student here, I'm always up late.  ;D

BBATW

DNall

Quote from: LtCol White on March 06, 2007, 09:20:10 PM
How about discussing the topics addressed at cadet and senior squadron meetings and ways to make the meetings more intersting so that as we recruit new people, they dont become bored with the meetings and leave.

Basically, once we get them, how do we keep them intersted?
It all depends on the focus of your unit. If you have a heavy ES bent, then topics in that area... coordinate with county EMA & some other emergency resposne agencies, get a speaker in once a month even if the topic is just review it allows for frank discussion of how you can help each other. Otherwise ot's currency training & keeping people challenged to expand their horizons. (lots of FEMA coursework to do by the way - teach the online courses & have them take the written test rather than just sned them off witha web address). Then maybe once a month you devote to AE topics from current events & flight or flight line safety to Yeager & AEX. They may not be totally into it, but once a month isn't much to ask. Try to do the same thing with leadership topics. You could theoretically have a reading list & make an hour a month like a little book club to discuss what everyone is reading, but that sounds little fruity. There's good stuff in SOS & some other guides I'm sure you know better than I (make sure you check the AFOATS Training Guide). That's what I'm trying to get don ein our Sq as we speak.

Cadets depends heavily on what you need to accomplish. The AE is pretty standardized & lots of resources to work with on that, delegate it to an AEO & let him work once a month & a wknd per quarter. Leadership (including DnC & ML) need to shape around where you need to go developmentally with the individuals. They get excited about chasing off on some activity every so often, but truth is morale gets determined more by where you shift their egos thru like staff & delegation of command authority. The biggest key isn't what you do but that you are exceptionally well organized & running like a precision machine. You can be plenty competent & not have your crap together. Give them an organized system (not just leaders or staff) that displays the qualities you want from them & that's what it'll teach.

Otherwise it's a matter of adapting to your community, your personnel, location, situation, time of year, resources, etc. And that takes leadership to execute.

CLB

I work from 2 to 10 so before the baby came, I generally stayed up till around 4.  Since then it may be 8 am before I get to sleep.  Have to catnap all night. 

Lately though, I got digital cable so I spend all night watching the Military Channel.  Don't get online too much. 
Capt Christopher Bishop
Coastal Charleston Composite Squadron

Becks

Quote from: CLB on March 07, 2007, 02:12:22 AM
Don't get online too much. 

Tell me about it, all our late night scheming went right down the toilet!

BBATW

Major Carrales

At night...no one can hear you beam :P

Many times this is the best time to get CAP work done without the interloping of would be distractions.

Anyway...there will be plenty of time for sleep after I've died.   :o

Commander
SWR-TX-454

flyerthom

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on March 06, 2007, 08:35:11 AM
lol.. I work in EMS and so Im used to not needing sleep  ::) - but Im CST here in IL.
As for what to discuss .... anything...EXCEPT: UNIFORM CHANGES, RANK CHANGES FOR NHQ/CC, BLACK VANS  ::)

EMS

Earn
Money
Sleeping    >:D
TC

Major Carrales

Quote from: flyerthom on March 08, 2007, 05:39:44 AM

EMS

Earn
Money

Shout out to all you NIGHT OWLS, Getting Ready to be 8 March 2007.

Tomorrow we try for our first CAP meeting in Kinsgville, Texas.  Its a recruiting day for cadets at the Middle School where I teach.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

AlphaSigOU

Joining the night owl's thread...

FINALLY got my TPU double-breasted coat yesterday. Fits well, unfortunately they didn't include the silver sleeve braid. So, fired off an e-mail - again - to Vanguard. And now, to take it to a tailor shop and get the sleeves taken in and the trousers hemmed.

And the big thing about the buttons? They're the old-style CAP seal buttons in bright finish. Almost ready for the Wing Conference...

Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

ColonelJack

My Corporate Service Coat didn't come with sleeve braid either.  I was under the impression that it did.  Let me know what they say, will you?  (I still had the silver braid from my Mess Dress and used it on the coat.)

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

fyrfitrmedic

I was all set to order a TPU, but for reasons more positive than not i'm holding off for now.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

Major Carrales

Alright Night Owls...chew on this...

Civil Air Patrol moves Forward in Kingsville, Texas
Major Joe Ely Carrales, CAP/PAO

Kingsville, Texas— An exploratory meeting of students meet in Room W101 at Memorial Middle School in Kingsville, Texas.  It was attended by CC-CAP officers Major Joe Ely Carrales and 1st Lt John D Hoelscher.  Additionally, 7 students of that school arrived interested and were given CAPF 15 to fill out along with recruiting materials for their parents.

Some students that were interested could not attend due to the occurrence of a Track Meet in Robstown, Texas.  Attending students were enthused and even agreed on a name for this new unit.  The Brahma Cadet Flight, named after Kingsville I.S.D.'s mascot the Brahma Bull.

"We will do our best," Said Major Carrales, "to make this a fun and beneficial activity for students at Memorial to do!" 

A follow up meeting will be held on Friday, 9 March 2006 for those that could not attend. Regular meetings will commence after Spring Break and pending applications acceptance at National.  More to come...

Please help me with this.  Right now this "Flight" is budded off of the Corpus Christi Comp Squadron.  Maybe in a years time, we ca have an official charter.  But let me crawl before we break the sound barrier.

I bring this to the NIGHT OWLs because, 1) you really must be dedicated to be up so late...2) I must be dedicated to be up so late 3) positive contributions welcome.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

afgeo4

GEORGE LURYE

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: ColonelJack on March 08, 2007, 03:21:12 PM
My Corporate Service Coat didn't come with sleeve braid either.  I was under the impression that it did.  Let me know what they say, will you?  (I still had the silver braid from my Mess Dress and used it on the coat.)

Not included with the coat - ya gotta order it separately. I'm gonna go check out the fabric and craft stores tomorrow to see if there's an acceptable substitute.
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Pylon

Quote from: AlphaSigOU on March 10, 2007, 03:21:41 AM

Not included with the coat - ya gotta order it separately.

Why in the world would you sell something separately that absolutely has to go on the jacket???  That's like selling it without the buttons, or selling a pair of pants without belt loops and then saying "Well, you should have realized before you ordered that the belt loops came separately..."    ::)
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Pylon on March 10, 2007, 06:56:37 AM
Quote from: AlphaSigOU on March 10, 2007, 03:21:41 AM

Not included with the coat - ya gotta order it separately.

Why in the world would you sell something separately that absolutely has to go on the jacket???  That's like selling it without the buttons, or selling a pair of pants without belt loops and then saying "Well, you should have realized before you ordered that the belt loops came separately..."    ::)

Damifino, boss... damifino. And it only adds maybe $2-$3 to the cost, so why not throw it in for free?
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

isuhawkeye

yawn.   another long night in the fire house.

hope everyone has a good sleap this morning

SAR-EMT1

Quote from: flyerthom on March 08, 2007, 05:39:44 AM

EMS

Earn
Money

Lol, I wish... but it seems to mean - Everyday more Sh-- because the most continuous sleep Ive ever had in 24 hours at work was a 3 hour nap.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student