Facebook and Social Media Now Illegal for CAP?

Started by arthurfreidheim, February 13, 2012, 01:46:03 PM

davidsinn

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

arthurfreidheim

David, all those links say is that CAP has a social media presence and that there is a committee being organized to look at social media.

arthurfreidheim

They claim OPSEC for anything to do with the airplane. Even a picture of it sitting on the taxiway.

spacecommand

"I'm being told....THEY...."

Who's telling you, who is THEY?  It's a far way from "ILLEGAL" to do so. 

I just posted a picture of me and the Wing commander on my facebook, looks like I'm gonna do 20 years hard time now.

Again who is "THEY"....

davidsinn

They also say CAP is extending it's Facebook presence. I do think it is rediculous to get uppity about taking pics of the planes on the ground. I once saw a guy run off for taking a picture of a ramp full of our birds at a public airport...

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

a2capt

Oh noes!!

Oh, and "illegal"? No. Totally the wrong term.

arthurfreidheim

Yes, it OK for CAP to have webpages, etc, and it's OK for squadrons to post stuff with approval. But, now it seems that you or I posting a picture of us in uniform or standing next to a plane or any pictures taken from the plane, etc... are illegal. And the reason I am being coy with the facts here is that I suspect "they" will even be upset with me posting about it. You also can't say/write anything that anyone might see as negative in any way about CAP or it will come back to haunt you.

EMT-83

I'm sure that arthurfreidheim actually heard, or thought that he heard, someone in his squadron tell this tale. Being a new member of this forum, I can see his desire to be the first one to post this "breaking news" about social media.

With all the members here that serve at Wing, Region and National positions, I'm sure that we would have had some heads-up.

At face value, the OPSEC claim is bogus. If you were to take a picture of airplanes parked on the ramp in front of my unit, it's the same view as from the other side of the fence.

However, there are some situations where CAP members have access to views not available to the public, and it might be appropriate for pictures of some areas to remain unpublished. This could, and should, be handled locally.

ol'fido

Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

a2capt

You can't do it.
But you can't talk about it.
Oh, yes, did I say you can't do it?
But I can't talk about it to tell you who said not to do it.

Whatever.

ol'fido

Quote from: a2capt on February 13, 2012, 05:23:11 PM
You can't do it.
But you can't talk about it.
Oh, yes, did I say you can't do it?
But I can't talk about it to tell you who said not to do it.

Whatever.

^^^^^
Is that the guy from the Mummy  movies and Spartacus: Blood and Sand? ;D

^^^^^^
Not exaclty the Aurora is it? They've made what....45,000-50,000 of them?  ???
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

davidsinn

Now that the OP is restored I can say I've seen smaller loads of crap come out of a dairy. My wing PAO and Wing CV both have pics of themselves in uniform on their personal FB pages.

Sent from my HTC Incredible 2 using Tapatalk
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Woodsy

Funny, I spent about an hour with the NHQ/PA at the FLWG Conference this past weekend and he talked aboiut how social media is such a great tool and needs to be utilized more...  And in fact there are initiatives in the works at NHQ that will promote or even require the use. 

davedove

After seeing the original post, it is entirely possible the OP is getting this message from his commander.  Now, it's also quite possible that said commander is overreacting to stuff coming down the line, probably from Air Force.  There is a LOT of attention in the military right now about internet presence, especially unofficial sites.
David W. Dove, Maj, CAP
Deputy Commander for Seniors
Personnel/PD/Asst. Testing Officer
Ground Team Leader
Frederick Composite Squadron
MER-MD-003

spacecommand

Spaceman3750

It sounds like the nuclear way to prevent someone from doing something stupid on their social media page while having public ties to CAP (which could theoretically discredit the organization).

Eclipse

Quote from: arthurfreidheim on February 13, 2012, 01:46:03 PM
I have just been told (by command) that we are not allowed to make *any* mention of Civil Air Patrol on Facebook or *any* social media. I have been advised to remove all references to CAP from my Facebook account. Is this what everyone else is being told? CAP is now to be kept as a secret? Cannot list our participation, no pictures of anything? I would suspect that even this website is now in blatant violation of CAP regs. Is this really what is happening?

Post restored

No, this is not what is happening.

Your commander may have said this to you, even in the direct way you've indicated here, however that directive holds no legal weight outside CAP,
and unless you'e posting something which is false, violates OPSEC, or discredits yourself in uniform or CAP as a whole, difficult to enforce.

"That Others May Zoom"

arthurfreidheim

I am but a lowly lieutenant reporting what I was told by command above me. 

Eclipse

Quote from: arthurfreidheim on February 13, 2012, 06:27:20 PM
I am but a lowly lieutenant reporting what I was told by command above me.

So your response to being told that any mention of CAP on the web is to immediately post about that on the web?

When people tell you things that don't make sense, or sound too far-reaching, your responsibility as an adult is to
"Trust but verify".

I still have my doubts you are even a member.

"That Others May Zoom"