Main Menu

BOG June minutes

Started by keystone102, September 01, 2011, 07:22:49 PM

keystone102

The minutes for the June BOG meeting are on the members website.
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/BoG_2011_06_draft_0E43656D5EB4A.pdf

Items of interest:
A. The December 2011 meeting will be held at Tyndall AFB, FL.
B. FY12 CORPORATE FINANCIAL PLAN that starts on page 12 includes The following $1,261,291 is unfunded.
NEC Staff Travel $ 18,955
Diversity Committee Travel $ 1,097,500
Region Commander Travel $ 11,034
Reserves $ 30,000
Membership System Upgrades $ 20,300
CAP Magazine $ 10,000
Membership Card Production $ 10,000
NHQ O&M $ 31,702
Cadet Special Activities & Prof. Development $ 31,800

While Diversity should be encouraged do we really need to plan to spend over a million dollars on it with the DOD budget on the chopping block.

afgeo4

Quote from: keystone102 on September 01, 2011, 07:22:49 PM
Then minutes for the June BOG meeting are on the members website.
http://members.gocivilairpatrol.com/media/cms/BoG_2011_06_draft_0E43656D5EB4A.pdf

Items of interest:
A. The December 2011 meeting will be held at Tyndall AFB, FL.
B. FY12 CORPORATE FINANCIAL PLAN that starts on page 12 includes The following $1,261,291 is unfunded.
NEC Staff Travel $ 18,955
Diversity Committee Travel $ 1,097,500
Region Commander Travel $ 11,034
Reserves $ 30,000
Membership System Upgrades $ 20,300
CAP Magazine $ 10,000
Membership Card Production $ 10,000
NHQ O&M $ 31,702
Cadet Special Activities & Prof. Development $ 31,800

While Diversity should be encouraged do we really need to plan to spend over a million dollars on it with the DOD budget on the chopping block.

WOW!  That better be a typo with an "extra" one or two zeros having been added in error. 
GEORGE LURYE

NCRblues

Wait wait...

After the unfunded portion, it says "CAP is able to accept these shortfalls with minimal mission impact."....  Really? We can spend a million of unfunded money this year and feel NO effects? I'm ganna go ahead and call BS on that....

What the heck could the "diversity committee" be spending over a million dollars for travel on??

I have a great idea, cut that in half and give it to expand NCSA's or start new ones...

My god, what a waste...
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

a2capt

Well, you gotta figure it costs Joe Member about $700 to attend the average 5 star hotel hosted CAP conference.

3-4 nights lodging at $99-$159, the conference fee of about one nights lodging, and travel to the place. 

Okay, so they don't do this 10 times a year, but NCC was said to be about $160K event, bringing Wing Commanders in, and putting them up in hotels has to be close to half that. Not to mention the rest of the board, 4 times a year.

NCRblues

Quote from: a2capt on September 01, 2011, 08:15:54 PM
Well, you gotta figure it costs Joe Member about $700 to attend the average 5 star hotel hosted CAP conference.

3-4 nights lodging at $99-$159, the conference fee of about one nights lodging, and travel to the place. 

Okay, so they don't do this 10 times a year, but NCC was said to be about $160K event, bringing Wing Commanders in, and putting them up in hotels has to be close to half that. Not to mention the rest of the board, 4 times a year.

That million plus is not listed as NATIONAL BOARD travel funds, it is listed as "diversity committee"....so unless the whole NB is on the committee.....

Ned

I hate to interrupt a classic CAPTalk furball-in-the-making, but please consider two things:

1.  Note the the Diversity Committee initiatives were listed in the financial plan as "unfunded," which means that no CAP corporate or appropriated dollars have been dedicated toward those costs.  As described to us, it sounded like the Diversity Committee was going to seek outside grants to fund some or all of the costs they have projected.

2.  Even more importantly, take a look at the top of page 11 where the BoG approved the financial plan EXCEPT for the diversity costs (even unfunded) which will be examined in more depth at our December meeting.

Recapping, there was a request for funding for the Diversity Committee to the NB/NEC which was not funded.  And even then, the portion of the plan that refers to the unfunded Diversity costs was not approved by the BoG.

Please read carefully before speculating, even anonymously on the internet.

Ned Lee
BoG Member at Large

RiverAux

I'm betting on a major typo there.  I couldn't believe anyone in CAP would even think of requesting a million in travel funding for a diversity committee.

NCRblues

Quote from: Ned on September 01, 2011, 08:40:52 PM
I hate to interrupt a classic CAPTalk furball-in-the-making, but please consider two things:

1.  Note the the Diversity Committee initiatives were listed in the financial plan as "unfunded," which means that no CAP corporate or appropriated dollars have been dedicated toward those costs.  As described to us, it sounded like the Diversity Committee was going to seek outside grants to fund some or all of the costs they have projected.

2.  Even more importantly, take a look at the top of page 11 where the BoG approved the financial plan EXCEPT for the diversity costs (even unfunded) which will be examined in more depth at our December meeting.

Recapping, there was a request for funding for the Diversity Committee to the NB/NEC which was not funded.  And even then, the portion of the plan that refers to the unfunded Diversity costs was not approved by the BoG.

Ned Lee
BoG Member at Large

Ok, i can admit when i am wrong. I freaked out a little at the number.  :-[ whoops

arajca

Spoilsport.  ;D

NIN

Quote from: arajca on September 01, 2011, 09:11:26 PM

Spoilsport.  ;D

Ned is quite the killjoy.  I had just gotten a bucket of popcorn, turned off professional wrestling on TV and settled in when that came up.

That's his job on the BoG, BTW: "Official Killjoy."

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

NCRblues

I do have a question for you Ned.

I don't want to argue today (shocker i know)

About the governance study, you said they would ask questions to the standard members, not just leadership and wing/region kings.... yet on the meeting minutes it says that "Study will be accomplished largely through telephone and written interviews with board members, executive director, national headquarters staff members, volunteer leaders and selected wing and region commanders"

Now, maybe i am missing something, but that sure does not seem to cover normal due paying, hard working, time giving members.

So did they change minds about speaking to average membership not in command slots?

Also, how are the wing and region commanders "selected". Is it random, or some formula, or something else all together?

Ned

As it turns out, I am on the BoG Governance Committee, which is to say the group that is overseeing the adminstration of the contract.  Each time we have discussed this with BoardSource, they tell me they are working on some sort of tool to allow member input, which they plan to do once they are done interviewing the CC types first, partly to help them frame the issues.

I don't know how the commanders are selected for interview.  I keep bumping into commanders who tell me they have been or are scheduled to  be interviewed.

We have a "how's it going" conference call coming up in a couple of weeks.  I will re-ask the question about rank-and-file input.

keystone102

My original post was to point out the enormous cost of a Diversity Committee (yes I listed it as unfunded) as compared to all of the other issues that CAP needs funding for. Is the organization that out of whack compared to other nonprofits in diversity? Are we being denied funding due to this inequity? Did we have to settle a large civil lawsuit to cause us to go guns blazing on a diversity tangent?

NCRblues

Quote from: Ned on September 01, 2011, 11:17:46 PM
As it turns out, I am on the BoG Governance Committee, which is to say the group that is overseeing the adminstration of the contract.  Each time we have discussed this with BoardSource, they tell me they are working on some sort of tool to allow member input, which they plan to do once they are done interviewing the CC types first, partly to help them frame the issues.

I don't know how the commanders are selected for interview.  I keep bumping into commanders who tell me they have been or are scheduled to  be interviewed.

We have a "how's it going" conference call coming up in a couple of weeks.  I will re-ask the question about rank-and-file input.

Great, thank you very much.

JC004

Ned Lee
BoG Member at Large

Ned, please do not ruin fun with facts.   :P

The number is correct?  So we can put the typo issue to rest either way.

Now to the topic...
I think we should look at diversity.  I can even give 'em some really good tips on how to address the issue.  I think a cost that high should remain unfunded with the current budget.

Does anyone have insight into the breakdown of why these costs are so high?

RiverAux

Well, you could buy complimentary memberships for a whole lot of people to "solve" the diversity "problem" at that price. 

Ned

Quote from: JC004 on September 01, 2011, 11:58:28 PM
The number is correct?  So we can put the typo issue to rest either way.

Let me start by pointing out that - at the request of the NB - Capt Levin has put together one of the most outstanding teams I have ever seen to address what is always a difficult and contentious subject.  Many of the committee members are outside experts with good track records of success.

And they have worked long and hard putting together proposals to ensure that CAP is both a meritocracy and a diverse organization.  Much work remains to be done by the committee before final proposals are ready to be vetted and perhaps implemented by CAP.

Having said all that, the figure in the report is accurate, and represents the committee's estimate for the diversity initiatives.  As I mentioned, the committee understands that it will be an "unfunded" request.  They know as well as you and I that CAP does not have a million dollars lying around.  I understand that the committee will be seeking outside grants and funding to cover some or all of the amount.

A full breakdown of the costs involved was not available to the BoG, which is one of the reasons the request was not approved, even on an "unfunded" basis.  We will be examining the initiative in more detail at our December meeting.

Perhaps someone on CT is a member of the Diversity Committee and can speak more fully as to the breakdown, but that is all I have.

Major Lord

These are (Some? All? ) of the budget items that were denied funding, but were under serious consideration? To the point where the proposed travel budget alone for this politically correct nonsense exceeds the total funding for many items that are actually functions of our mission? How much Approved funding has gone to the Diversity Committee? Is this the result of a CAP negotiated settlement or consent decree which we have not been made aware of?  What liabilities has CAP actually experienced as a result of problems within the realm of a Diversity Committee whose budget we might deduce from a single requested line item as being a multimillion dollar expense? Ned has stated that "many of the committee are outside experts with good track records of success". Are these CAP members or actual paid consultants, or god forbid, both simultaneously? Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot?

Major Lord

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Ned

Slow, down there, Hoss.  The enemy is not at the gate.

Quote from: Major Lord on September 02, 2011, 04:32:31 PM
These are (Some? All? ) of the budget items that were denied funding, but were under serious consideration?

What you are looking at are the minutes of the BoG meeting.  Specificially, the corporate financial plan.  Although you are just going to have to trust me on this, I can tell you that everything that appears on the corporate plan gets my "serious consideration."  And in this particular instance, was not approved.

QuoteTo the point where the proposed travel budget alone for this politically correct nonsense exceeds the total funding for many items that are actually functions of our mission?

Yes, as I mentioned before, everyone in the process acknowledged that the specfic request for the diversity initiative could not be funded out of any known CAP resources.  I think I might have even mentioned that the request was larger than the entire CP corporate budget to help us maintain the appropriate perspective. 

QuoteHow much Approved funding has gone to the Diversity Committee?
Nothing significant at this point.  I know they have worked exclusively through conference calls and self-funded travel.  I think CAP paid some travel for Capt Levin to attend a board meeting to brief the NB on progress to date, just like other committee chairs like Uniform, PD, etc.

QuoteIs this the result of a CAP negotiated settlement or consent decree which we have not been made aware of?
Nope.  No litigation; no settlements; no decrees.  For an organization that has elected both a woman and an African American national commanders, we are probably not doing a terrible job at attracting diverse members.  But we can almost certainly do a better job at looking for and eliminating barriers, outreach, etc.

QuoteWhat liabilities has CAP actually experienced as a result of problems within the realm of a Diversity Committee whose budget we might deduce from a single requested line item as being a multimillion dollar expense?
I'm not sure I understand the question completely, but my experience has been that CAP does not always reflect the diversity of the communities from which we draw our members.  Being more inclusive means - essentially by definition - a larger and more vibrant program.  Which can only be a Good Thing.

QuoteNed has stated that "many of the committee are outside experts with good track records of success". Are these CAP members or actual paid consultants, or god forbid, both simultaneously?
Many are highly qualified paid consultants in this area; they however, are not being paid by CAP.  Each committee member is volunteering their time and efforts for CAP; just like you and me. 

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot?

Major Lord

Dude,

Really?  Is it so hard to imagine that among our dozens of committees studying and improving every aspect of CAP that we would have a diversity committee?  We've got committees for historians, HSOs, operators of every flavor, and governance.  We have still more committees to study the Constitution and Bylaws, Public Trust, and chaplains' qualifications.  Don't forget committees for important stuff like social media and recommending folks for the CAP Hall of Honor.

So we have a diversity committee.  Just like every other large organization in the country.  Indeed, we would probably attract unfavorable attention if we didn't have a committee to deal with this difficult and important issue.  We know that diversity is important to our largest funder, Uncle Sam and the USAF.  And if it is important to the person who pays our bills, it should probably be important to us.

But as a practical matter, it is and should be important to us for the simple reason that we are unlikely to be as successful as we could be without carefully considering it and taking appropriate action.

Does any committee get a blank check to spend as much as they would like to improve their area of interest?  Of course not.  They study, recommend changes and hopefully cost out the pros and cons of any proposals.

It is up to the policy makers - that mystical combination of the NB, NEC, CAP-USAF, EX, CC, and the BoG - too decide what, if any, actions should be taken as a result of committee recommendations and resource  any necessary changes.

That's the process you are seeing.  Nothing more, nothing less.

RiverAux

Frankly, just increasing our advertising budget beyond the pittance it is today would probably do more for diversity than anything a  committee is likely to come up with.