Main Menu

CAP's top priority for 2011

Started by RiverAux, December 25, 2010, 02:21:29 PM

JeffDG

Quote from: A.Member on January 04, 2011, 04:29:37 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on January 04, 2011, 03:54:33 PM
Quote from: Paul Creed III on January 04, 2011, 02:55:04 PM
3) Create workflows for more of our paperwork (promotions and awards for example) in eServices so that there is less lost paperwork.

You know, it would be nice to build all the awards and such into a DB, link it to a "Rack Builder" so a person could look at all the stuff they're entitled to in one spot.  At least the CAP awards could be done that way, the military awards on the AF uniform could be difficult to gather.
If you're one of those conformists with an iPhone:
http://www.rawapps.com/74881/rack-em-upem-up/

Don't know how well that one works but maybe I'll build one for Android users.

The value I'm talking about would be a database in eServices that tracked all your awards and fed them into such an app.  If I were an Apple Kool-Aid drinker, I'm sure I'd love your App...

Paul Creed III

Integrated into the member's records in eServices would be great. For that matter, all awards and decorations should be tracked in eServices which could be accomplished with a workflow application.
Lt Col Paul Creed III, CAP
Group 3 Ohio Wing sUAS Program Manager

A.Member

Quote from: Paul Creed III on January 04, 2011, 02:55:04 PM
2) Fix 39-1; too many supplements and confusion

3) Create workflows for more of our paperwork (promotions and awards for example) in eServices so that there is less lost paperwork.

4) Adopt an online payment system that can be used to accept payments to Wings/Groups/whatever for events like conferences, encampments, etc.

5) Membership-wide "official" email accounts

6) A CMS-based website system that can be used by any entity that needs a CAP-branded website; too many sites out there look horrendous.
This is pretty much it.  I'll substitute out your first one for: 

1.  Have a consistent and clearly defined strategic vision for the organization (ie. a plan!)...and communicate it effectively!
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Paul Creed III

I can agree with that since that plan would help all of the items after that!!

DogCollar

Quote from: Paul Creed III on January 04, 2011, 04:36:29 PM
Integrated into the member's records in eServices would be great. For that matter, all awards and decorations should be tracked in eServices which could be accomplished with a workflow application.

It would be great for Professional Development Officers to have an approval tracker for awards, decorations and promotions.  That way we know who's holding up the works can be proactive in making changes necessary, rather than waiting long periods of time for someone to respond. 
Ch. Maj. Bill Boldin, CAP

JeffDG

Quote from: DogCollar on January 04, 2011, 07:33:09 PM
Quote from: Paul Creed III on January 04, 2011, 04:36:29 PM

It would be great for Professional Development Officers to have an approval tracker for awards, decorations and promotions.  That way we know who's holding up the works can be proactive in making changes necessary, rather than waiting long periods of time for someone to respond.

They shouldn't be, programatically, much different that ES quals...

Each "rating" for example has prerequisites (for example:  Level 1 for Technician, Technician for Senior).  They don't really have Familiarization and Prep, but then they have tasks that you need to accomplish, then in the same area as "Exercise Participation", make it "time-in-service" requirements...don't re-invent the wheel, just tweak the SQTRs to a new purpose.

Paul Creed III

Much like the cadet promotions module has the requirements for each progression, the senior promotions module could have the same features.

JeffDG

Quote from: Paul Creed III on January 04, 2011, 07:59:34 PM
Much like the cadet promotions module has the requirements for each progression, the senior promotions module could have the same features.

If you look at "2d Lt" as a SQTR:
Age Check
Level 1
One of:  6 Months as SMWOG
              PP-ASEL
              Others (sorry, I don't have the reg in front of me, but all of the "mission skills" that entitle you to 2d Lt)

Tasks:
           Performing at exemplary level meriting promotion...

davidsinn

Quote from: JeffDG on January 04, 2011, 08:19:16 PM

Age Check
Level 1
              PP-ASEL
              Others (sorry, I don't have the reg in front of me, but all of the "mission skills" that entitle you to 2d Lt)

Tasks:

That's how it works now. What we need it is a module for PD. Tracking the requirements for each specialty track.

Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Paul Creed III

So, is that promotions module fully functional as a workflow? I have not seen that module before. Should I have my squadron commander use that instead of actual paper to shuffle?

davidsinn

Quote from: Paul Creed III on January 04, 2011, 08:47:10 PM
So, is that promotions module fully functional as a workflow? I have not seen that module before. Should I have my squadron commander use that instead of actual paper to shuffle?

Absolutely. It is the only way promotions are performed in my unit. As a matter of fact it's the only way they have ever been performed because that module came before my unit was chartered.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

JeffDG

Quote from: davidsinn on January 04, 2011, 08:42:21 PM
Quote from: JeffDG on January 04, 2011, 08:19:16 PM

Age Check
Level 1
              PP-ASEL

Tasks:

That's how it works now. What we need it is a module for PD. Tracking the requirements for each specialty track.

OK...that makes sense...

But, IMHO, PD Stuff like Technician/Senior/Master is closer to SQTR than the promotions, in that you have discreet tasks that you need to perform to qualify for the rating in the track.

Paul Creed III

Wow. That's cool. What is the name of the module in eServices and I assume that only the squadron commander has access to it?

Bluelakes 13

Paul,

Deputies or folks given permissions can run it.  It was all I used while unit CC.

davidsinn

Quote from: Paul Creed III on January 04, 2011, 08:52:57 PM
Wow. That's cool. What is the name of the module in eServices and I assume that only the squadron commander has access to it?

It's the membership module.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Paul Creed III

Cool. I will pass that on to my commander.

SARDOC

The Personnel Officer also has access to the Membership module.  eServices is the only way I do promotions now except for Professional , Special and Mission related skills promotions which still require Paper*

Not really paper but can be done electronically via email.

Tim Medeiros

Yet another example that speaks to the need for "eServices for Dummies: Everything you ever wanted, or didn't want, to know about eServices"

Duty Performance Promotions is actually in the Duty Performance Promotions module of the Membership restricted application.  It can be granted via WSA and is automatically granted to certain duty positions.
TIMOTHY R. MEDEIROS, Lt Col, CAP
Chair, National IT Functional User Group
1577/2811

a2capt

We've used it all the way to Major, now- for at least the last couple years plus some. No paper at all. Works great. :)

JohnKachenmeister

E-services reminds me of the old video game "Doom."  I'm still discovering new doors.  Every time you get a new assignment you get to a new level and find... MORE DOORS!
Another former CAP officer