Former CAP members who received Highest Military Valor Awards

Started by MisterCD, October 16, 2015, 04:23:07 PM

MisterCD

Below are the names I've located or been informed of concerning former CAP members (cadet or senior member) who went on to receive the nation's highest awards for valor. An asterisk indicates a posthumous award. The plus symbol indicates I need more information to absolutely verify the CAP connection. If you know of other names please send them to me, preferably with information connecting them to CAP service. I am not looking for people who received these awards THEN joined CAP, only those people who started out in CAP then joined the military.

I have not included Silver Stars but the most to any CAP member I have found is USAF Major A. Lodge, formerly of the NYWG, with five to his credit.

Medal of Honor
- Navy – Edward Clyde Benfold* - NJWG – Korean War – cadet
- Army - Frederick Edgar Ferguson - AZWG - Vietnam - senior member
- Army – John Andrew Barnes, III* – MAWG – Vietnam War – cadet +
- Army – Euripides Rubio, Jr.* - PRWG – Vietnam War – cadet +

Air Force Cross
- Charles Barbin DeBellevue – LAWG – Vietnam War – cadet

Distinguished Service Cross
- Norman Earl Baldwin* - FLWG – Vietnam War – cadet +

Navy Cross
- Sky R. Mote* (USMC) - CAWG – Operation Enduring Freedom – cadet

Stonewall

Not the highest valor award, but a valor award nonetheless.

SSgt Tom Culpepper, USAF Pararescueman

Tom was a cadet in the nineties who later became an Air Force PJ.  In CAP he earned the GTL badge, graduated PJOC, and earned the Earhart Award. He may have gotten the Eaker as well, but I don't recall.

Also, see attached article from The Volunteer.
Serving since 1987.

MSG Mac

Col James Fleming, USAF CMH, was a member in the 90s. I believe Col Bernard Fischer, the first recipient of the Air Force CMH was also a member in Idaho Wing.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

MisterCD

Quote from: MSG Mac on October 19, 2015, 05:47:45 AM
Col James Fleming, USAF CMH, was a member in the 90s. I believe Col Bernard Fischer, the first recipient of the Air Force CMH was also a member in Idaho Wing.

Aware and appreciated. In this instance I am looking for those people who served in CAP prior to joining the military who received the MOH and/or the NC/DSC/AFC.

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023