CAP Member in Photo on CNN Gallery

Started by a2capt, September 09, 2012, 09:10:30 PM

a2capt

Browsing through a CNN.com gallery entitled "America 101: Defining the US through photography", in a series of selected images from a new upcoming book, "Whistling Dixie: Re-enactments in the South", the ultramarine name tape jumped out at me even before the wing patch ... this being Resaca, GA.

spacecommand

Don't drive the CAP van faster than 88mph!

Eclipse

Why is he saluting re-enactors?

And someone needs more training on proper saluting and uniform wear.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

Hey look, they are wearing blue over grey.. and they have cool head gear. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on September 09, 2012, 10:11:51 PM

a) What's off screen?
b) Because he is a cadet and he thought it would be cool.

His salute could be a little better....brim of hat vs edge of glasses and maybe his hand angled a little down but over all I have seen much worse from AD military types....Nothing about his uniforms jumps out at me as being wrong.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on September 09, 2012, 11:33:31 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 09, 2012, 10:11:51 PM

a) What's off screen?
b) Because he is a cadet and he thought it would be cool.

His salute could be a little better....brim of hat vs edge of glasses and maybe his hand angled a little down but over all I have seen much worse from AD military types....Nothing about his uniforms jumps out at me as being wrong.

Table 2-5. Clothing/Accessory Standards
Line 9 Eyeglasses, Sunglasses
Free of ornamentation on frames and lenses. Conservative, clear, slightly tinted, or photosensitive lenses indoors or in formation. Conservative lenses and frames outdoors (faddish styles and mirrored lenses prohibited). No sunglasses in formation. Not worn around the neck.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Cool picture!

And Eclipse, you've seemed to have ruined an otherwise decent topic.

sab163

"Why is he saluting re-enactors?"

Why not as a Reenactor I get salutes all the time (and i wear red) from police and military, its just a show of respect, we are recreating and honoring our nations history.

AngelWings

Quote from: sab163 on September 10, 2012, 12:08:15 AM
"Why is he saluting re-enactors?"

Why not as a Reenactor I get salutes all the time (and i wear red) from police and military, its just a show of respect, we are recreating and honoring our nations history.
It's a forum policy to not engage miserable posters. I can direct you to the link saying it.

saleet

Maybe there could be a US Flag approaching off camera.  If that is so good for him.  When is the last time any of you have watched Joe Citizen show his/her respect for the Flag at a parade or sports event.  They cannot even be expected to stand or lower theirselves to put a hand over their heart.

Why spend our time nit picking a young man who could be out causing trouble rather than serving in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program.   

Luis R. Ramos

Eclipse-

The photo is not good enough to say he is wearing a "mirrored sunglass."

I see what I take as part of his eye.

But even if you see it as a "mirrored lens," how do you know it is not a photosensitive lens that he has a prescription for? The type of frame seems to me the simple frame that is given to the military, and not a "faddish lens."

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer
Squadron Communication Officer
Squadron Emergency Services Officer

Luis R. Ramos

David,

What do you know about Civil War uniforms?

Those reenactors in the photo are not wearing "blue over grey." They are wearing blue over light blue, which is a correct uniform for the Civil War volunteer soldiers and militia. Only federal troops wore the same shade of blue overall.

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: saleet on September 10, 2012, 01:28:26 AM
Why spend our time nit picking a young man who could be out causing trouble rather than serving in the Civil Air Patrol Cadet Program.   

Because Teenagers are two things: CAP Cadets or Felons.

"I'll take the CAP option, judge".

SarDragon

Quote from: flyer333555 on September 10, 2012, 01:39:45 AM
Eclipse-

The photo is not good enough to say he is wearing a "mirrored sunglass."

I see what I take as part of his eye.

But even if you see it as a "mirrored lens," how do you know it is not a photosensitive lens that he has a prescription for? The type of frame seems to me the simple frame that is given to the military, and not a "faddish lens."

Flyer

Agreed. My "Transitions" lenses can look mirrored at the right angle.

As for the salute, "Lighten up, Francis!" I wore glasses before I learned to salute, and, given the predominant headgear throughout the years (flight caps in CAP, and dixie cups in the Navy), bringing my hand to the corner of my glasses became a natural gesture. I have never been corrected for saluting in that matter, even when wearing brimmed headgear.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Actually, my first thought on the salute was the angle of the palm. It's not to the brim, sure, but it's also too "forward" with the palm.

As for the glasses, those look like the classic "$9.99" sunglasses that are reflecting what he's looking at.

NIN

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Cool Mace

Please. everyone jump his case because his salute is a little off, and his left hand has a slight bend in it. I've seen my fair share of AD (enlisted and commissioned).
I'm not saying to accept low standards by any means. But is he so far off the chart to represent a poor image for CAP? No.

Also? A salute is a courtesy. Even if he was saluting them, is that wrong? This could really go either way, depending on what side of the fence you're on.
CAP is what you make of it. If you don't put anything in to it, you won't get anything out of it.
Eaker #2250
C/Lt Col, Ret.
The cookies and donuts were a lie.

Eclipse

Quote from: Cool Mace on September 10, 2012, 08:48:32 PM
Even if he was saluting them, is that wrong?

Would the answer be the same if the were Ren Faire re enactors or Starfleet cosplayers?

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on September 10, 2012, 08:56:40 PM

Would the answer be the same if the were Ren Faire re enactors or Starfleet cosplayers?
No.

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on September 10, 2012, 08:57:50 PM

No.

This is exactly the same thing.  No one in that line was actually in the Civil War on either side, so they are just playing make-believe war.
I personally believe it's somewhat distasteful, but people are allowed to have hobbies.

Frozen ice at Ren Faire or salted pork and hard bread at "Civil War Days", it's just adults playing dress up.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

There's a boot in the far left upper section of the photo, looks like tan with desert marpat above it.

Suffice to say that the photo is just a glimpse of a larger image. I'd imagine there was more going on that day.

Eclipse

Quote from: a2capt on September 10, 2012, 09:11:57 PM
There's a boot in the far left upper section of the photo, looks like tan with desert marpat above it.

Looks like the same boots and pants they are all wearing, and a dark blue elbow.

If nothing else, what this does show is all that is in the eye of the beholder, and how "the best intended" photo isn't
necessarily interpreted as intended, especially without a detailed caption.

"That Others May Zoom"

KMcCann

Quote from: Eclipse on September 10, 2012, 09:00:16 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on September 10, 2012, 08:57:50 PM

No.

This is exactly the same thing.  No one in that line was actually in the Civil War on either side, so they are just playing make-believe war.
I personally believe it's somewhat distasteful, but people are allowed to have hobbies.

Frozen ice at Ren Faire or salted pork and hard bread at "Civil War Days", it's just adults playing dress up.

Then by what you just said almost no one in CAP deserves a salute. Not everyone in CAP has served in the military or been in a war.

Technically, we are just an organization playing dress up then.

Eclipse

Quote from: KMcCann on September 10, 2012, 09:42:37 PM
Then by what you just said almost no one in CAP deserves a salute. Not everyone in CAP has served in the military or been in a war.

Technically, we are just an organization playing dress up then.

I was wondering who'd be the first to make that statement - congrats, though it isn't relevant, or the same argument.  That's a pretty
dim view of an organization you've apparently chosen to spend your time in.

If that's your attitude, enjoy, it doesn't change our regulations - CAP members, you know actual members who serve each other and their community
in various ways, including saving lives, mentoring young people, and generally not being part of the problem, are required to salute each other - what anyone from outside does is not my concern.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

CAP has a mission, we don't dress up to be part of a play,air soft, reenactment, etc.

KMcCann

I don't have a "dim view" of our regulations, or our organization. You're right. Its Required for other CAP members. I just don't see why it's such a big deal. Maybe that cadet is saluting the uniform of those who are wearing it. Maybe he is saluting those who died. A salute is a sign of respect. There is no regulation that says at no time shall a CAP member not salute a civilian. There are regulations stating who MUST be saluted, but there are no regulations that say who is NOT to be saluted. Yes, I realise there is the NCO's for cadets and seniors and airmen for the cadets. If you can find where it says to not salute a reenactor, please cite a regulation for me, because this is something that has come up time after time in my squadron and I have not been able to find anything.

Critical AOA

Quote from: flyer333555 on September 10, 2012, 01:43:49 AM
David,

What do you know about Civil War uniforms?

Those reenactors in the photo are not wearing "blue over grey." They are wearing blue over light blue, which is a correct uniform for the Civil War volunteer soldiers and militia. Only federal troops wore the same shade of blue overall.

Flyer

Well, on both of my monitors, the pants look more grey than light blue.  Besides, I was just trying to make a humorous connection to the blue shirt & grey pants debates on various uniform threads.  I guess that escaped you. 
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Eclipse

Quote from: KMcCann on September 10, 2012, 09:58:48 PMIf you can find where it says to not salute a reenactor, please cite a regulation for me, because this is something that has come up time after time in my squadron and I have not been able to find anything.

We don't cite the negative - either it's required you do it, or not spoken of.

I can't begin to imagine why saluting re-enactors would ever come up in CAP, let alone repeatedly.

"That Others May Zoom"

KMcCann

Re-enactors or anyone who is civilian. Sorry that was an unclear error on my part.

Eclipse

Quote from: KMcCann on September 10, 2012, 10:14:49 PM
Re-enactors or anyone who is civilian. Sorry that was an unclear error on my part.

Fair enough, why would we ever salute anyone who is "civilian"?  (Absent something else like MoH, POTUS, etc?)

"That Others May Zoom"

KMcCann

Quote from: Eclipse on September 10, 2012, 10:16:57 PM
Quote from: KMcCann on September 10, 2012, 10:14:49 PM

Fair enough, why would we ever salute anyone who is "civilian"?  (Absent something else like MoH, POTUS, etc?)

Maybe they were part of the Volunteer Emergency Management force that saved you from a wreck. Maybe they just happened to be there and saved your life. Maybe they're a distinguished member of your community who has done great things to help it aspire and thrive through a difficult time, or not a dificult time, but just gave a lot back to the community. Maybe they are there to represent those who couldn't be there.

Eclipse

Then you say thank you, and maybe buy them an adult beverage or coffee.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Maybe I'll do the civilian salute and shake their hand...

KMcCann

Quote from: Eclipse on September 10, 2012, 10:26:48 PM

Even if you're in a CAP uniform, at an event honoring those people?

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: KMcCann on September 10, 2012, 10:28:55 PM

Did they ban handshakes in uniform? Just because you can salute, doesn't mean it's  the right salutation.

KMcCann

Quote from: usafaux2004 on September 10, 2012, 10:30:09 PM
Quote from: KMcCann on September 10, 2012, 10:28:55 PM

Did they ban handshakes in uniform? Just because you can salute, doesn't mean t the right salutation.

I didn't say they ban them. I'm just giving hypothetical situations as I was asked to do.

Eclipse

Saluting has a specific meaning, place, and use.  Outside that lane, there are other appropriate means of gratitude, appreciation, and respect.

Salutes used incorrectly cheapen the meaning or miss the point.

The occasional mis-placed salute can bring with it more meaning and respect then the correct ones, but those are usually "movie moments".  If you walk around like a slot machine, they mean nothing.

"That Others May Zoom"

KMcCann

Quote from: Eclipse on September 10, 2012, 10:33:50 PM
Saluting has a specific meaning, place, and use.  Outside that lane, there are other appropriate means of gratitude, appreciation, and respect.

Salutes used incorrectly cheapen the meaning or miss the point.

I couldn't agree more.

SarDragon

A salute is a greeting, no more, no less. The military, and others, use it on a formal basis, in somewhat specified situations. If I choose to salute someone, regardless of what I'm wearing, I will do so. There's no law or regulation against it, and no one who can authoritatively tell me I can't.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on September 10, 2012, 10:52:06 PMThere's no law or regulation against it, and no one who can authoritatively tell me I can't.

On your personal time, of course not.  In a CAP uniform, of course they can, and we should certainly be training our cadets properly.

This isn't much different from the goober who goes and tells someone in the military to take back their salute because it's not required.

"That Others May Zoom"

Critical AOA

Heck, they even used to salute on Hee Haw.

ol'fido

All,

We are making the ASSUMPTION that this person is saluting another person. We are making the ASSUMPTION that in this one snapshot absent any other context or explanation that this person has no justification to salute in this BRIEF moment. We are making a lot of ASSUMPTIONS. >:(

Just to put in my two cents worth here on this one pic, if you will note that they are marching and passing out of frame is a gentleman holding what appears to be the regimental flag. Somebody may correct my history but most Civil War units went into battle with two flags: a distinctive regimental flag and a national flag. He may have been caught in the act of saluting the UNITED STATES FLAG.

Plus, given the size of most of the reenactor units I have seen there may well be another "regimental" unit right behind this one also with a regimental flag and US FLAG. But here again I am making an ASSUMPTION. I do not know this for a fact.

So until we know the context of when and where this pic was taken, we need to keep our yaps shut and our snarks to ourselves.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on September 10, 2012, 10:54:33 PM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 10, 2012, 10:52:06 PMThere's no law or regulation against it, and no one who can authoritatively tell me I can't.

On your personal time, of course not.  In a CAP uniform, of course they can, and we should certainly be training our cadets properly.

This isn't much different from the goober who goes and tells someone in the military to take back their salute because it's not required.

Gimme a citation for that.

I've been doin' this salutin' thing a very long time, and I think I've got a really good idea of what it's all about.

I do not randomly and indiscriminately render salutes, but I do use them as a personal form of greeting. I don't think it's your place to tell me I can't.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

coudano

Seriously he's just scratching the side of his head there...
Or wiping the sweat from beneath the rim of his hat.

he is clearly not standing at attention (look at his left hand there with the thumb nowhere near the side seam of the pants)

also his right finger tips are not touching where they should be for a salute,
nor is his hand properly angled forward.

Right here is a great example of why you probably shouldn't wear your CAP uniform anywhere other than a CAP meeting or activity.  You NEVER KNOW who is going to snap some picture of you and immortalize you (and all of your nit picky 'mistakes') in an undesirable context.  Probably just some cadet, excited to be in uniform, looking for an excuse to wear it anywhere and everywhere possible.

oh, p.s. i love the tire tracks going up over the hill there (lol).
Nothing says re-enactment like that toyota or 4 wheeler just over the ridge haha

SarDragon

Sorry, as bad as it might look, that's a salute. Too many things "right" about for it not to be.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on September 10, 2012, 11:22:30 PM
I do not randomly and indiscriminately render salutes, but I do use them as a personal form of greeting. I don't think it's your place to tell me I can't.

Then there's no issue.  It's not my place to tell you not to do anything.

If two welders choose to 1/2-heartedly wave a salute-like hand to each other because they are both in Local 104, whatever.  I do it too, most adults do on some level or another.  I have a habit of calling everyone "sir", too.  Common courtesy on the street means something else in the CAP para-military paradigm.

But a CAP CC would be well within his authority to tell one of his subordinates to knock it off if they aren't adhering to saluting customs
properly in CAP uniform.

"That Others May Zoom"

AngelWings

Quote from: Eclipse on September 11, 2012, 12:07:41 AM
Quote from: SarDragon on September 10, 2012, 11:22:30 PM
I have a habit of calling everyone "sir", too.
Be careful there, you do not want to be talking to a female when you say "sir"  ;)

(I get what you mean, BTW. Just joking.)

Luis R. Ramos

David-

If I had seen those pants as grey instead of light blue, your "joke" may have come thru. I guess that since no one else has "celebrated" it, it escaped some other people as well... Better luck next time...
Squadron Safety Officer

Luis R. Ramos

Ol' Fido-

Federal Civil War units carried two flags, a regimental flag and a National flag.

Some militia and volunteer carried three. The National flag, a state flag, and a regimental flag. Not all... some...

It could be he has saluted the National flag those reenactors carried, which would be to the right of the regimental flag shown, out of the picture to the right. And another National flag is coming on the left. However...

No one has commented in that the CAP cadet is facing almost parallel to the line of travel and to the rear of the formation, not the side, as if facing them. It may be possible he is saluting someone else out of the picture...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

More photos from the same event: http://www.georgiadivision.org/bor_pictures.html

I'd be willing to bet that this is the same formation from a different angle:

So we can give him the benefit of the doubt that he was saluting the period-correct version of the US flag.

Although the "scratching his head" theory also has some merit.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

Eclipse-

The photo you post, the unit in the foreground has lots of grey and "butternut." And the regimental flag is red but the unit the CAP cadet appears to be saluting is a Union unit with a blue flag. I saw the photos on the link you posted. To me, none appears to be that unit. The Union lines are in the background to see clearly...

Take care,

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: flyer333555 on September 11, 2012, 03:32:25 AM
Eclipse-

The photo you post, the unit in the foreground has lots of grey and "butternut." And the regimental flag is red. Or is the photo you mention in the link you posted

Take care,

Flyer

I'm referring to the long line of union dress, and two flags, in the background.

"That Others May Zoom"

Luis R. Ramos

I see. It does illustrate the "battlefield," but myself I was expecting those flags without seeing a photo...

But your posting it I read a little bit about the event. The info was great, I like reading all that historical stuff.

They even said "thank you to the Civil Air Patrol." Would like to know what the CAP does that appears to be helping them annually. Do they help with parking, transportation? I guess we will have to wait to be informed later... Or maybe never.

Thank you for finding and posting the link...

Flyer
Squadron Safety Officer

Eclipse

Quote from: flyer333555 on September 11, 2012, 03:45:28 AMThey even said "thank you to the Civil Air Patrol." Would like to know what the CAP does that appears to be helping them annually. Do they help with parking, transportation? I guess we will have to wait to be informed later... Or maybe never.

Thank you for finding and posting the link...

Flyer

In other areas they say traffic and crowd control.

(I do what I can, even though according to Angel I'm a "miserable poster")

"That Others May Zoom"

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on September 11, 2012, 12:07:41 AMBut a CAP CC would be well within his authority to tell one of his subordinates to knock it off if they aren't adhering to saluting customs properly in CAP uniform.

What is the basis for that alleged authority? You still haven't given me a citation.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Garibaldi

Quote from: SarDragon on September 11, 2012, 05:58:18 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on September 11, 2012, 12:07:41 AMBut a CAP CC would be well within his authority to tell one of his subordinates to knock it off if they aren't adhering to saluting customs properly in CAP uniform.

What is the basis for that alleged authority? You still haven't given me a citation.

Inherent authority? Umm...tradition? I mean, where's the authority for a cadet to give orders to his flight spelled out? Sorry, I just jumped in with my cold medicine haze.

You can ask for citations all day long but at the end of the day it's just "it's always been that way". A CC can spell out what's right and what's wrong and enforce it with memo's and letters and whatnot. A violation of customs and courtesies isn't really a punishable offense, but since "it's always been that way" a senior sure can correct a cadet or another senior due to that tradition. Who hasn't corrected a cadet or sloppy senior once or twice? It's not spelled out in any reg that I know of, but inherent authority to correct, chastise, counsel, coach, or whatever because of tradition and "it's always been that way" is and always will be a part of this process.

Please correct me if i'm wrong. I think the NyQuil is doing all my talking for me. I think I just got engaged over the phone tonight to a girl I haven't seen or talked to in 26 years a little while ago.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

SarDragon

You are essentially correct.

I am discussing one specific issue - when or when not to salute, and anyone's specific authority, by regulation, to forbid me from doing so whenever I feel it's appropriate.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on September 11, 2012, 07:41:33 AM

I am discussing one specific issue - when or when not to salute, and anyone's specific authority, by regulation, to forbid me from doing so whenever I feel it's appropriate.

It's the one on the back of the application where you agreed to obey the commands of your superiors, the one you are now required to reaffirm every time you renew.

If you're on your own time, you can do whatever you want. 

If you're on CAP time, and especially in uniform, and saluting in a way that would be a detriment to the image of CAP, your CC, or anyone else
in authority at the time, would certainly be within their authority to tell you to knock it off.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

Quote from: 754837 on September 11, 2012, 03:12:25 PMThis debate is unreal!
Welcome to CAPTalk. It's still a nice photo. Whatever.

Garibaldi

I'll give you an example of where I was probably wrong. This past Saturday, we were working the airshow at Little Rock AFB. We were off duty, sitting around, when they asked us to stand for the Nationa Anthem. We did, and I called present arms. Another senior told me we just needed to stand, as this was a flight line. I said it didn't matter, as it was not an active flight line and we were wearing covers. I probably was wrong, but I felt it was appropriate under the circumstances.

There is no specific regulation that I know of giving the authority to forbid or permit saluting whenever you feel it's appropriate. "When in doubt, whip it out" is what I was always taught.
Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

lordmonar

Quote from: Garibaldi on September 11, 2012, 05:01:16 PM

I'll give you an example of where I was probably wrong. This past Saturday, we were working the airshow at Little Rock AFB. We were off duty, sitting around, when they asked us to stand for the Nationa Anthem. We did, and I called present arms. Another senior told me we just needed to stand, as this was a flight line. I said it didn't matter, as it was not an active flight line and we were wearing covers. I probably was wrong, but I felt it was appropriate under the circumstances.

There is no specific regulation that I know of giving the authority to forbid or permit saluting whenever you feel it's appropriate. "When in doubt, whip it out" is what I was always taught.
Nope you were not wrong!  A salute is always appropriate unless safety is an issue. 
No active flight line for an air show....may or may not be a no hats no salute area by CAP or USAF regs.....but you can't get into trouble for rendering a salute.  Sure you can remind people that it is not required but you should never.....never chew someone out for rendering honors......it is counter productive.

SarDragon

Garibaldi and lordmonar, thank you.

I rest my case.

We now return you to your normally scheduled kvetching about uniforms.  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret