Main Menu

CAP form 31 Question

Started by best_name_ever, March 30, 2018, 03:07:44 PM

best_name_ever

So some cadets in my squadron are applying for encampment and they have to fill out the CAPF 31 (the encampment/special activity release form). On the form it requires a squadron commanders signature, a mother/father's signature, and a mother/father's witness for their signature. That sounds confusing so here's a link:

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/static/media/cms/F031_F5D2769A3E174.pdf

Anyway, what should I suggest to cadets with single parent families? I told them to send it in for the squadron commanders signature with just their one parent and see if it bounces back. Do you guys have any other suggestions?

Thanks!!

Eclipse

You need one parent or guardian signature.

Don't overthink it.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Youth permissions for in organizations often require both parents to sign because there are cases of a parent approving something, and the other parent either not knowing or disagreeing. Nobody wants mom showing up at Encampment and yelling at the staff because she doesn't approve, but dad dropped the cadets off.

There are also cases of kids being taken across state lines without both parents consenting, especially in cases of divorced parents where they have joint custody.

As Eclipse said, don't over think it. If more information is needed, the Encampment staff will solicit (request) for it.

J2H

Question I have is why adults have to fill one out for Encampment staff...
SSgt Jeffrey Hughes, Squadron NCO
Glenn L. Martin Composite Squadron MD-031

Eclipse

Quote from: TheSkyHornet on March 30, 2018, 05:52:15 PM
Youth permissions for in organizations often require both parents to sign because there are cases of a parent approving something, and the other parent either not knowing or disagreeing. Nobody wants mom showing up at Encampment and yelling at the staff because she doesn't approve, but dad dropped the cadets off.

There are also cases of kids being taken across state lines without both parents consenting, especially in cases of divorced parents where they have joint custody.

As Eclipse said, don't over think it. If more information is needed, the Encampment staff will solicit (request) for it.

This is a legit concern and problem that's been largely ignored for as long as I've been involved with the CP, you also
have the non-trivial issue of a non-custodial parent showing up and taking a kid from an activity without mom's permission.

A lot of activities just release cadets to the wind and have no idea who took them.

For years we've required that the drop-off parent or party indicate the pickup parent or party,
and the pickups require photo ID.  You better believe if mom was on the list but dad is there
we're calling the drop-off party, at a minimum, to get authorization. 

The standing SOP is that once we have a pick-up issue, only the CC or CD can release the cadet.

Yes it gets contentious once in a while, yes we've been close to contacting local PD once or twice, but it's better
then the call from mom of "Where's my kid?".  Honestly, I don't know why this isn't required of all overnight activities.

I can't remember when BITD it was that this issue struck me, but when it did I know I got a little
heart flutter when I realized the risk.

"That Others May Zoom"

Eclipse

Quote from: J2H on March 30, 2018, 09:35:57 PM
Question I have is why adults have to fill one out for Encampment staff...

Normally a Form 17 would suffice with adults, but especially when an activity needs
to edit a form for additional info, scope, activities, etc., it's just less hassle to have a single
form for all participants then two custom ones.

"That Others May Zoom"

best_name_ever

CAPSARGAL

No where on the form 31 does it state that both signatures are required.
There are plenty of families out there that have only a single parent/guardian to sign.
An admin officer would not send this back for a second set of permissions.

What does seem to be a confusing issue for cadets is that yes, the form does require a witness signature for each parent/guardian signature.

CAPSARGAL

CAP is not in the business of policing custody issues.
The CAPF 31 requires a signature so that we are covered.
As long as one parent/guardian - at least - signs, there is no need to go beyond that to police whether all parties in a divorce situation are privy to the knowledge.

CAPSARGAL

If you are a senior member, you should not be using the CAPF 31, the previous post was correct - the SM equivalent is the CAPF 17.

Eclipse

Quote from: CAPSARGAL on April 02, 2018, 05:45:53 PM
If you are a senior member, you should not be using the CAPF 31, the previous post was correct - the SM equivalent is the CAPF 17.

You use the form(s) as directed by the activity commander or PIC.

The CAPF 17 is an optional form that may or may not be used at the activity director's discretion
for Senior Member Activities. (See CAPR 50-17, page 10)

The CAPF 31 is specific to Encampments Or Special Activities, but is in no way restricted to cadet use.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

Quote from: Eclipse on April 02, 2018, 05:54:11 PM
Quote from: CAPSARGAL on April 02, 2018, 05:45:53 PM

You use the form(s) as directed by the activity commander or PIC.

The CAPF 17 is an optional form that may or may not be used at the activity director's discretion
for Senior Member Activities. (See CAPR 50-17, page 10)

The CAPF 31 is specific to Encampments Or Special Activities, but is in no way restricted to cadet use.

CAPR 50-17 cites that the CAPF 17 is used for senior member activity applications. Now, while that regulation is specific for professional development, it can be easily inferred that the Form 17 applies to any senior member activities at the discretion of the activity host, on title alone.

CAPR 60-1 cites that the cadets must utilize the CAPF 60-81 for Encampment and HAAs. While the Form 60-81 has not yet been rolled, official CAP website links redirect to the Form 31. It can be easily inferred that this is a cadet activity form, as no other regulation references this form outside of Cadet Programs.

Now that we've waaaay sidetracked the original question.........