Cadets not allowed to fly other cadets. Period

Started by Eclipse, January 11, 2009, 05:30:27 PM

flynd94

Quote from: Eclipse on March 04, 2009, 03:09:18 AM
I can't dispute what you were told, but I am also somewhat dubious as to how well that would ever stick in court.

What you're effectively saying is that GA CFI pilots are never allowed to be simple "passengers' in any plane in which they are rated.

What if you're asleep?  What if you're a paying passenger on a charter flight?

Welcome to the world of being a ATP/CFI in a GA aircraft.  Part of the FAA's reasoning is that from the back seat of a GA aircraft, I should be able to effect a change.  Now if I am in the back of a King Air, on a charter flight, I am not responsible.  Generally, the guys/gals upfront have more experience than the avgerage CFI in the back.

Remember there is no "court" really in  the FAA.  At most you would get a "Letter of Investigation" in your file.  Not the end of your career but, it could hamper it.  Once you get your Comm/ATP/CFI you enter into a new world.
Keith Stason, Maj, CAP
IC3, AOBD, GBD, PSC, OSC, MP, MO, MS, GTL, GTM3, UDF, MRO
Mission Check Pilot, Check Pilot

lordmonar

Quote from: flynd94 on March 04, 2009, 04:43:11 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on March 04, 2009, 03:09:18 AM
I can't dispute what you were told, but I am also somewhat dubious as to how well that would ever stick in court.

What you're effectively saying is that GA CFI pilots are never allowed to be simple "passengers' in any plane in which they are rated.

What if you're asleep?  What if you're a paying passenger on a charter flight?

Welcome to the world of being a ATP/CFI in a GA aircraft.  Part of the FAA's reasoning is that from the back seat of a GA aircraft, I should be able to effect a change.  Now if I am in the back of a King Air, on a charter flight, I am not responsible.  Generally, the guys/gals upfront have more experience than the average CFI in the back.

Remember there is no "court" really in  the FAA.  At most you would get a "Letter of Investigation" in your file.  Not the end of your career but, it could hamper it.  Once you get your Comm/ATP/CFI you enter into a new world.

In did quick google search and found a couple of references to this subject.

I'm not a lawyer...but...what I take down from this is that a CFI doing "instructions" is always the PIC no matter what the rating of the guy in the left seat.

It does not mean if a CFI is flying in the back as a passanger they are somehow responsible.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CASH172

If there are concrete references to this subject I'd like to see them.  This isn't a discussion of who is PIC, but whether an experienced pilot can be held responsible for not acting or saying something when he/she could have. 

Eclipse

Quote from: CASH172 on March 04, 2009, 04:12:12 PM
If there are concrete references to this subject I'd like to see them.  This isn't a discussion of who is PIC, but whether an experienced pilot can be held responsible for not acting or saying something when he/she could have. 

Ditto - I think you need more than tribal knowledge before most of us are going to believe it.

The FAA must have some written regulations which are applicable.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Eclipse

Can I suggest a split here?

This is a fairly important topic to a lot of our people, but its veered from the original post.

"That Others May Zoom"

Flying Pig

Ill tell you what.  If I am responsible for the outcome of the flight everytime Im the guy holding the highest rating...Im logging the time!!!! :o

Bluelakes 13

I think we're mixing a few things here:

Presuming this is an OFLIGHT (A15/B15) given by a CAP OFLIGHT PILOT to a CAP CADET, then the rules are pretty clear.  CADET in the back is on a 99 ride.  PERIOD.

Any change to any of the capitalized nouns, changes the entire consequence....