CAP aircraft markings

Started by RiverAux, July 18, 2008, 11:05:20 PM

davidsinn

Quote from: N Harmon on July 23, 2008, 06:53:49 PM

Agreed. The Coast Guard puts the standard U.S. roundel on their aircraft...

That's because they are military and a federal agency.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

isuhawkeye

no star and bar here

sorry. 

I might have gone a little overboard.

PHall

And no part of the Department of Homeland Security is an Auxiliary of the Air Force either.

But the Coast Guard uses the star and bar, and they're part of the Department of Homeland Security.

IIRC, U.S. Customs and The Border Patrol have never used the star and bar insignia.
Probably because they're considered "Police" agencies.

isuhawkeye

and the coast guard aux doesn't use the star and bar

MIKE

Quote from: isuhawkeye on July 24, 2008, 02:39:16 AM

Because the Coast Guard doesn't pay for the planes.
Mike Johnston

davidsinn

Quote from: PHall on July 24, 2008, 02:36:43 AM

But the Coast Guard uses the star and bar, and they're part of the Department of Homeland Security.

And Navy department in time of War. They're also armed which might have something to do with it.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

PHall

Quote from: davidsinn on July 24, 2008, 10:17:19 AM
Quote from: PHall on July 24, 2008, 02:36:43 AM

And Navy department in time of War. They're also armed which might have something to do with it.

And all of those Customs and Border Protection carry armed personnel every day. But they're considered to be "Police" and police aircraft don't normally have the national insignia on them for Posse Cometadus (yes I know it's spelled wrong) reasons.

stratoflyer

That T-41 is ugly. I like our current pain scheme. And our roundel is fine. It is a civilian symbol with a military flavor--IMO what a civilian auxiliary should do.

By the way, Cessnas are ugly birds. And I hit my head with the wind today during preflight on a 172. Low wing for me!
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

stratoflyer

^correction WING. typo there.

KyCAP

You know that you recognize Cessna drivers by the diamond imprinted in their forehead... Look at the trailing edge of Flap and aileron for explanation..
Maj. Russ Hensley, CAP
IC-2 plus all the rest. :)
Kentucky Wing

mikeylikey

What's up monkeys?

_

I like the current paint scheme but if you're looking at T-41's take a look at these.

stratoflyer

I just flew our squadrons airplane the other day and I have to say it is a pretty neat feeling flying something unique--even if it is a Cessna. To be fair, our 172R flies like a dream.

Eclipse

Quote from: isuhawkeye on July 24, 2008, 02:39:16 AM

They don't have airplanes.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

True, but some CG Aux pilots put Aux markings on their airplanes. 

a2capt

Quote from: stratoflyer on July 25, 2008, 05:08:09 AM
By the way, Cessnas are ugly birds. And I hit my head with the wind today during preflight on a 172. Low wing for me!

Go ahead and whack a knee then.. we'll hear next, "No wing for me! I've got a Rotorway!" ;)

Major Carrales

Quote from: PHall on July 23, 2008, 05:07:53 AM
Should be the regular "star and bar" national insignia.

But that's just my opinion.

You mean a "roundel."  I think the CAP one is as good as it will get. I might assume that the usual roundel of the US MILITARY might insinuate that it was owned by the US GOVERNMENT/ARMED FORCES.  The CAP roundel shows exactally what were are, an Auxiliary of the Air Force that operates the world's largest fleet of Cessna Aircraft.

It should also be pointed out that the USAAF roundel was not in use by the Coastal Patrols of WWII.  They used a distinctive Civil Defense seal with the tri-prop until that was removed in favor of a white triangle in a blue circle.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

My vote would be something similar to the dark blue and white paint scheme that they had on the T-37... Maybe with some international orange.

... With U.S. AIR FORCE markings of course... none of this CAP nonsense.  ;D
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Quote from: MIKE on August 09, 2008, 06:09:22 PM

Will the USAF own the aircraft?  or will the Civil Air Patrol?  The difference is a big one.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

MIKE

Quote from: Major Carrales on August 09, 2008, 06:37:21 PM
Quote from: MIKE on August 09, 2008, 06:09:22 PM

Will the USAF own the aircraft?  or will the Civil Air Patrol?  The difference is a big one.

Civil Air Patrol won't exist.
Mike Johnston